PDA

View Full Version : Rifle storage while camping

Forks
05-25-2021, 07:05 PM
Hey everyone, new hunter here who has been reading, researching, and learning lots from everyone on this site since I took my core last august. got out turkey hunting this spring and actually got into some birds (unsuccessful in the end) but that was an awesome experience and learned lots.

I plan on doing a bit of back country camping while hunting come this fall since I’m set up with most of the gear needed for overnighting from my hiking background. The question I had was what is your preferred method of “storage” for your rifle when out hunting. Gun sock? In tent? In vestibule? Have it’s own sleeping bag? Jk on that last one…kind of…
should note that ill be hunting the southern part of the province primarily, since I live in the lovely LML

cheers

is the newbie joke still required? Here goes,
who do you call when you have a broken toe?

the toe truck

HappyJack
05-25-2021, 07:32 PM
Keep it close at hand, you never know when mr grizz is coming to visit.

Callahan
05-25-2021, 07:44 PM
In your sleeping bag.

albravo2
05-25-2021, 07:48 PM
I like having mine in the tent with me, laying on the floor or on my clothes.

Stresd
05-25-2021, 08:16 PM
Always have it near at hand. You go for a crap. Take it with you.

Rob Chipman
05-25-2021, 08:31 PM
I lay mine beside my sleeping bag. Keeps it clean, dry and handy.

caddisguy
05-25-2021, 08:32 PM
Pretty much always sleep in the driver seat of the jeep and tuck the rifle in behind me.

By legal definition, it's never actually in "storage". It's in use at all times, either hunting or readily available if needed for bear troubles.

Redthies
05-25-2021, 08:46 PM
I usually spoon mine, unless the Mrs comes along. Then that is a bit awkward.

But seriously, if you are tenting in the back country, keep it in the tent with you. Lots of times where bears have come calling in the night.

Redthies
05-25-2021, 08:47 PM
Pretty much always sleep in the driver seat of the jeep.

I know you’re a younger guy, but that does NOT sound comfortable!

whitlers
05-25-2021, 09:12 PM
On the tent floor beside me.

caddisguy
05-25-2021, 09:27 PM
I know you’re a younger guy, but that does NOT sound comfortable!

Lol it's not "too" bad. My wife and I are small people and can pretty much curl up in a fetal position on the flat part of the seat. Only trouble is can't fully stretch out the legs, even with support on the floor, knees are still slightly bent. Occasionally I will wake up with quite a bit of knee pain which is a bad way to start the day. I think it aggravates the sciatic nerve which cases the knee pain.

We still do it 70-90 nights a year, but a good 4x4 van (like a E250 body dropped on a F250 4x4 drivetrain with a bit of a lift is our dream lol

Onesock
05-25-2021, 09:51 PM
Good god.........

MichelD
05-25-2021, 10:21 PM
Lol it's not "too" bad. My wife and I are small people and can pretty much curl up in a fetal position on the flat part of the seat. Only trouble is can't fully stretch out the legs, even with support on the floor, knees are still slightly bent. Occasionally I will wake up with quite a bit of knee pain which is a bad way to start the day. I think it aggravates the sciatic nerve which cases the knee pain.

We still do it 70-90 nights a year, but a good 4x4 van (like a E250 body dropped on a F250 4x4 drivetrain with a bit of a lift is our dream lol

I'm impressed but I don't know how you can do it. I have had short naps in the passenger seat if I am on a really really long drive and find myself nodding off, then I will pull off and fold the seat back for a nap, but to actually sleep like that on a hunting trip? Not a chance.

Before I had trucks I had station wagons. I have to be able to stretch out flat and it can be hard as heck, that doesn't bother me and I sleep well. Since 1992 I've always had a pickup with a canopy. My wife used to come with me but at our age and with back issues (both 68 next week) she says she's done with sleeping in the "cramper."

Hugh Mann
05-25-2021, 10:35 PM
During the day, it's either in hand, on my shoulder, or in arms reach. As someone said, even if you go to take a piss, bring your gun. I know a guy who has come running back to the vehicle to grab his gun because he didn't. At night, I keep it in my tent, keeps it clean, safe, and dry.

caddisguy
05-25-2021, 11:27 PM
I'm impressed but I don't know how you can do it. I have had short naps in the passenger seat if I am on a really really long drive and find myself nodding off, then I will pull off and fold the seat back for a nap, but to actually sleep like that on a hunting trip? Not a chance.

Before I had trucks I had station wagons. I have to be able to stretch out flat and it can be hard as heck, that doesn't bother me and I sleep well. Since 1992 I've always had a pickup with a canopy. My wife used to come with me but at our age and with back issues (both 68 next week) she says she's done with sleeping in the "cramper."

Happy early birthday to you both!

And sorry for the derail OP. Back to gun storage!

I think it's simplified with one rifle. If I bring a shotgun and a rifle and leave one behind in the vehicle, I make sure it's out of sight and has a trigger lock. I rarely ever bring more than one firearm though unless I'm road hunting for birds and opportunistically keeping an eye out for deer.

GreyDog
05-26-2021, 05:51 AM
I don't use a tent and usually just hang a tarp. The rifle leans up against a tree; usually within reach. GD

MichelD
05-26-2021, 09:54 AM
Like I wrote above, I sleep in the canopy of my truck. Rifle is usually in its usual location behind the front seat in those cases.

Tenting? Well if I'm on a long trip in the wall tent I have my rifle in there, but if I'm in my smaller tent on a short trip usually I leave the gun in the truck too.

adriaticum
05-26-2021, 10:00 AM
You can buy a rifle cover to protect your rifle while hiking.
Rifle goes where I go.

lakelander
05-26-2021, 12:26 PM
I like having mine in the tent with me, laying on the floor or on my clothes.

I thought you were talking about your gun for a moment :)

high and to the right
05-26-2021, 01:54 PM
I used to do overnight spike camps away from the trailer now and then and I would keep a flash light and my rifle with a shell in the chamber lying on the outside of my sleeping bag. Most bears are curious but are leery of humans and as long as you don't have any food in the tent they will leave you alone (most of the time). Leaving a bit of your scent (urine) around the tent will help as you get a heads up as the bear sniffs around you. It can be unnerving to be woken up by the sound of a bear sniffing the tent right beside your head. It's hard to get back to sleep when that happens.

Codes44
05-26-2021, 03:10 PM
IMO - In your tent or camper with you at night, lock it in our vehicle during day if out hiking or quading etc. In reality, a hunting rifle isn't a great choice for a charging bear like some of these other guys are saying......try and find a charging bear in your scope at anything less than 40-50 yards lol - you won't especially if the light isn't good. Shotgun for shitting (or a sidearm shhhh), keep the scoped rifle for hunting - unless you don't have a choice - it's better then nothing. Unless you are in thick Grizz country wouldn't worry about it - don't keep food in or near your tent an your fine. i

Codes44
05-26-2021, 03:16 PM
In your sleeping bag.

If you're that afraid of the bush maybe you shouldn't be out there bud lol

Rob Chipman
05-26-2021, 03:53 PM
C'mon! Are you saying that I couldn't tag a charging grizzly in the head in the dark in my sleeping bag in a tent lying down with the scope dialled up to 9x? You clearly haven't seen me in action! I'm somewhere between Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris :-)

Keeping it beside me at night does tend to keep it dry, safe and located, though, that's for sure. I think you're right about being afraid in the bush though. What's the point of that? If you're not relaxed and enjoying it you're doing it wrong.

mastercaster
05-26-2021, 04:29 PM

For someone who goes out that often you should have gotten a two person tent about 80 trips ago in your first year! lol I could see doing what you're doing about once a year just to keep things simple,,,,but probably wouldn't even do it then. Just because you're out in the bush doesn't mean you have to rough it, especially with a vehicle at hand that can hold your gear.

Rifle in tent for me!

Forks
05-26-2021, 05:26 PM
Wow, way more response than I anticipated! Thanks everyone. I figured it would be common to just keep it in tent but thought there might be some other ideas out there. I don’t plan on doing any over nights in grizzly country as of yet, would definitely have rifle/shotgun in tent if there is a slight chance a grizz would be lurking around

MichelD
05-26-2021, 10:30 PM
I have a 19-inch barrel for my 870 and could keep it in a tent with me if I was concerned about bears, but if something really serious happened like a bear trying to get into the tent or collapsing it on top of me or whatever, if I actually had to use the gun, what about my buddy sleeping in his tent even 30 or 40 yards away?

I keep thinking of those two guys on southern Vancouver Island scared of bears so one had a gun and accidentally shot the other. Just looked it up. Wow! Ten years ago already.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/frightened-b-c-camper-shoots-friend-in-face-1.1040660

Ohwildwon
05-26-2021, 10:57 PM
For someone who goes out that often you should have gotten a two person tent about 80 trips ago in your first year! lol I could see doing what you're doing about once a year just to keep things simple,,,,but probably wouldn't even do it then. Just because you're out in the bush doesn't mean you have to rough it, especially with a vehicle at hand that can hold your gear.

Rifle in tent for me!

I agree......

geologist
05-27-2021, 01:00 AM
I keep mine in the tent. Magazine loaded, chamber empty.

I prefer a carbine in the tent, usually my 1895GS. I take my scope off as it's in QD rings and I clamp my flashlight on the picatinny rail up front.

It's the same setup when I'm doing field work. Not that I do much fieldwork in Canada anymore.

wallz
05-27-2021, 08:55 AM
14" barrel, pump 12ga under my cot, loaded with 2 slugs and 2- #2 shot first, in the tube magazine, and an led head lamp under my pillow on the cot.

Don't have to worry about seeing the right thing or wrong thing to shoot.

emerson
05-27-2021, 01:43 PM

I know a guy selling a 4x4 van. Probably over $30K though.

Codes44
05-27-2021, 01:51 PM
C'mon! Are you saying that I couldn't tag a charging grizzly in the head in the dark in my sleeping bag in a tent lying down with the scope dialled up to 9x? You clearly haven't seen me in action! I'm somewhere between Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris :-)

Keeping it beside me at night does tend to keep it dry, safe and located, though, that's for sure. I think you're right about being afraid in the bush though. What's the point of that? If you're not relaxed and enjoying it you're doing it wrong.

Haha, I was just having some fun with him - I can just imagine a guy in his sleeping bag cuddling a loaded rifle not being able to sleep! That being said, I still bring a gun in the camper with me, it's my 12 gauge defender though - my rifle and scope cost me enough where they stay in their case when not trying to fill the freezer :p True though, can't be afraid of what's out there - just respect it!

Codes44
05-27-2021, 01:56 PM
Wow, way more response than I anticipated! Thanks everyone. I figured it would be common to just keep it in tent but thought there might be some other ideas out there. I don’t plan on doing any over nights in grizzly country as of yet, would definitely have rifle/shotgun in tent if there is a slight chance a grizz would be lurking around

I'll take a shotgun for short range close quarter personal defense over any rifle any day...when your adrenaline is pumping and your in a make or break situation your gonna want some wiggle room for accuracy and stopping power haha.

butthead
05-29-2021, 04:51 AM
on the picnic table very hot

boxhitch
05-29-2021, 08:39 AM
I plan on doing a bit of back country camping while hunting come this fall since I’m set up with most of the gear needed for overnighting from my hiking background. The question I had was what is your preferred method of “storage” for your rifle when out hunting.............sounds like security may not be the priority here? Maybe just keep it dry and clean and in your control or locked vehicle.

Forks
05-29-2021, 02:54 PM
sounds like security may not be the priority here? Maybe just keep it dry and clean and in your control or locked vehicle.

yes I guess I should have clarified, it was not so much a security point of view that I was asking from, but rather just what do you do with your rifle at the end of day when your out camping and not near your vehicle.

butthead
06-01-2021, 05:07 AM
https://imgur.com/gallery/CuFETN8#8LPK42r

i just take the wife
bears be gone

Island Idiots
06-01-2021, 05:36 AM
Some pretty nervous folks out there. The OP was regarding storage.
Care and control means legal possession.
I can grab a gun with no lock and drive to the bush and back all legal as long as it’s in my care and control. If you have multiple firearms or you are unable to have care and control broken vehicle or injuries you should have trigger locks available. I always carry them but never use them when I have care and control.

boxhitch
06-01-2021, 08:59 AM
'If you have multiple firearms or you are unable to have care and control broken vehicle or injuries you should have trigger locks available."

personal opinion noted
but pretty pointless at preventing theft

The Hermit
06-01-2021, 09:45 AM
I keep the defender beside my cot when bowhunting in grizz country. When rifle hunting it is in the tent mostly to keep it safe and dry. I hate leaving any firearm locked in the truck while I'm away for the day hunting... too many thieving bass terds out there.

Island Idiots
06-01-2021, 09:56 AM
'If you have multiple firearms or you are unable to have care and control broken vehicle or injuries you should have trigger locks available."

personal opinion noted
but pretty pointless at preventing theft

My post wasn’t intended to prevent theft it was to stay within the law. A gun trigger locked is stored safe as far as the law is concerned.

MichelD
06-01-2021, 10:59 AM
I keep the defender beside my cot when bowhunting in grizz country. When rifle hunting it is in the tent mostly to keep it safe and dry. I hate leaving any firearm locked in the truck while I'm away for the day hunting... too many thieving bass terds out there.

Yeah, that makes me nervous too. I like to bring a spare but I worry all day that I'm going to come back to a truck with a broken window.

Not really interested in grouse any more as my wife doesn't like to eat them, thus I don't even bring a .22 or 20 gauge along any more so that is not a worry.

Codes44
06-02-2021, 07:57 AM
Some pretty nervous folks out there. The OP was regarding storage.
Care and control means legal possession.
I can grab a gun with no lock and drive to the bush and back all legal as long as it’s in my care and control. If you have multiple firearms or you are unable to have care and control broken vehicle or injuries you should have trigger locks available. I always carry them but never use them when I have care and control.

To be fair the OP was a loaded question (no pun intended) as how or why would you store a gun in your tent while out hunting?! I feel like he mixed two questions in one, how to store your gun while hunting (which would completely depend how you're hunting, ATV, truck, on foot etc) and how to store your gun out in the bush while it's not in use. Two different answers for sure.