PDA

View Full Version : Are Talley Lightweight mounts (30mm) available for Sako 85 short action rifles?

mastercaster
05-25-2021, 07:58 AM
Just bought my first 30 mm scope and was wondering if the Talley Lightweight mounts are available fo a Sako 85 SS 7-08? If they aren't,,,,, what lighter weight mounts/rings would you recommend? Trying to keep the overall weight of the rifle/scope down. (Would prefer not buying the Sako Optilocks)

Weatherby Fan
05-25-2021, 08:22 AM
Just bought my first 30 mm scope and was wondering if the Talley Lightweight mounts are available fo a Sako 85 SS 7-08? If they aren't,,,,, what lighter weight mounts/rings would you recommend? Trying to keep the overall weight of the rifle/scope down. (Would prefer not buying the Sako Optilocks)

Thats the wonderful thing about Sako 85 rifles you can use the extremely heavy Sako Optilock system or the fairly heavy Leupold Optilock system, no Talleys Lightweights for the Sako 85.

You can get Talley steel bases and then some rings to go with it.

steel-base-for-sako-i-ii-iii-l461-l579-s491-m591-model-85 (https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/steel-base-for-sako-i-ii-iii-l461-l579-s491-m591-model-85/)

BCBRAD
05-25-2021, 08:41 AM
The Opti-lok rings/mounts are designed for the M-85.

That said, I have broken 2 sets of Leupold ring mounts, both times the rear one.

The front dovetail is diagonally situated, this means that the front ring will be slightly askew, more so as you mount forward or rearward of the center.

The Opti-loks have a polymer insert in the ring that will accommodate this.

With the Opti-loks you will be able to adjust scope in the mounts fairly close to point of impact with minor adjustment in the scope retical, thus maintaining very close to the scopes optical center.

A few ounces won't be noticed , but a broken mount will.

I have a set of Sako Opti-Lok lows in 30mm, Had it mounted on a Sako M-85 with a scope that had a 42mm objective.

I'll let them go if interested.

todbartell
05-25-2021, 09:47 AM
The Optilok ring-mount that bolts directly to the dovetail might be the most attractive option for the Sako 85

sako79
05-25-2021, 10:08 AM
I've been using the Leupold ringmounts on my Sako 85 708 without issue for the last 7 years. I would not run them on magnum rifles but I have no problems running them on that short action. Like previously mentioned earlier the optilock one piece ringmounts are lighter than the 2 piece but heavier than the leupold

mastercaster
05-25-2021, 02:17 PM
I've been using the Leupold ringmounts on my Sako 85 708 without issue for the last 7 years. I would not run them on magnum rifles but I have no problems running them on that short action. Like previously mentioned earlier the optilock one piece ringmounts are lighter than the 2 piece but heavier than the leupold

I got mounts for mine about that long ago, as well. I'm thinking they were the Leupolds. I just looked at them now hoping that they may have been two piece mounts and rings so I could just get some 30 mm rings since these ones were 1" rings for the scope that is on my rifle now (Leupold VX3 2.5-10x40).

https://i.imgur.com/XIlN6dJ.jpg

The scope I'm getting now is the VX5HD 3-15x44 (30mm). Will the Leupold Low one piece mounts work? I like my scope close to the barrel.

eastkoot
05-25-2021, 02:38 PM
I have used a set of those leupolds pictued on a Sako 300WM for years with no problems at all.

BCBRAD
05-25-2021, 02:42 PM
https://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts

Mine are S1701904

30mm LO

Ride Red
05-25-2021, 03:02 PM

All my guns are Leupold mounts without fail all the way to 375 H&H mag.

BCBRAD
05-25-2021, 03:11 PM
All my guns are Leupold mounts without fail all the way to 375 H&H mag.

I guess a 7.5 lb Sako, 6x42 Leupold has a wickeder punch in 9.3x66 Sako than the afore mentioned.

The rear clamping screw , torqued to exact specifications sheared off twice.

Leupold replaced both times.

There was a hunter that wanted them but I told them they were sh!t, still wanted them so i sent them , no charge.

BTW that rifle made the 6x42 Leupold sh!t the bed as well.

sako75
05-25-2021, 07:59 PM
I got some Tikka Talley lightweight rings and drilled and taped the rail bolted them on and have not had a problem for 12 years. Mine is a sako 75 300 WSM but should be the same as an 85

GreyDog
05-26-2021, 06:10 AM
Great that a company can make a rifle with an integral dovetail mount which people then drill and tap for rings! The Sako system is and always has been, stupid. Anyone can build a mount system which is simple, has a substantial recoil stop, and uses available rings but Sako, Tikka, and CZ have carefully avoided doing that. GD

REMINGTON JIM
05-26-2021, 07:43 AM
Great that a company can make a rifle with an integral dovetail mount which people then drill and tap for rings! The Sako system is and always has been, stupid. Anyone can build a mount system which is simple, has a substantial recoil stop, and uses available rings but Sako, Tikka, and CZ have carefully avoided doing that. GD

This All you GUY's and your certain Sakos with the WORST scope mounting system ever designed ! :twisted: lol RJ

GreyDog
05-26-2021, 07:51 AM
Fifty years ago, Sako sold rings with their rifles and they were good rings. Of course, at that time, scopes had long enough tubes to allow some latitude in mounting and most scopes weighed less than two pounds and could be mounted low. GD

BCBRAD
05-26-2021, 07:56 AM
https://www.tikka.fi/scope-mounts-tikka-old

The Sako M-85 has fore and aft tapered dove tail to mount the Opti-lok. The front taper is not parallel but a little askew.

So when mounting the Opti ring mounts the rear mount is slid on to the rear dovetail and is stopped from going forward with a pin. The front dovetail , being not parallel, gives the opportunity to adjust windage a small amount in the rings. This is accommodated by the polymer inserts in the ring, 'gives wiggle room'.

So , if the ring mount is turned upside down you can see the taper in the mount, this is to match the taper on the dovetail.

It is a bit more time consuming to install correctly, than others, but worth it. The scope will not have ring marks when removed. Last thing one would want is ring marks on a high end scope or any scope for that matter.

Once everything is set up correctly and it comes time to remove the scope, loosen/remove the screws at the base of the ring mounts and slide the scope rearward , it comes off with rings attached. This is a benefit if you use a single rifle for different purposes and want change out scopes with out the initial set up. Kind of like a pic rail and rings (Burris Signature rings are excellent for this). One tool to change out scope and rings and still have a relatively close POI to the original zero.

If weight reduction is what a hunter is after, he/she must factor in reliability as well. Sometimes an extra couple of ounces will make a hunt instead of ruining a hunt.

Sako's are priced above average in today's market, $2500 + out the door for an M-85. The Opti-lok ring mounts go for $200 + taxes, scopes are what ever you want to pay, but on average $500 and up with decent quality ~$1000-1200.

Suffice to say , the M-85 and Opti loks are designed to work together and do.

If you do not install scopes at home, expect to pay at least double for a shop to do it CORRECTLY. This is due to the time involved.

Or you could 'bubba' the mounting system and save a couple ounces and a couple dollars.

wjones
11-04-2022, 07:54 PM
Has anyone mounted a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 on a Sako M-85 (Finnlight) using the 30mm Sako ring mounts?

The front mounting space on the VX5 is only 1.3" and the rear is 2.6".

I am concerned the front mounting space may not offer enough length for proper adjustment to acquire the correct eye relief.

sako75
11-07-2022, 09:38 PM
I got some Tikka Talley lightweight rings and drilled and taped the rail bolted them on and have not had a problem for 12 years. Mine is a sako 75 300 WSM but should be the same as an 85

I did this same thing works great. Mine is a 300 wsm loaded hot shooting 180 grain no problems in 14 years and I have used and abused that gun