PDA

View Full Version : New leadcore line

srupp
05-20-2021, 11:03 PM
I set up my Sheridan deep water leadcore setup last summer it involved NEW LEADCORE line..
Very slippery sheath over the 18 # leadcore...it needed a special new tying knott..
I discarded the spool..and yes the instructions..the old method surprisingly did not work...
Hmmm anyone know what the new slippery sheath is ? Please.
And what new knoTT is appropriate for this slippery stuff.before reading instructions 3 different knots failed grrr.
Getting a new reel rod backing leadcore leader..for our July holidays
Thank you it is appreciated.very much.
Tight lines
Steven

Jagermeister
05-20-2021, 11:24 PM
the knot is needed for what? tying to backing or to leader?

wos
05-21-2021, 07:07 AM
I'm assuming you tried a nail knot. I can't believe that wouldn't hold

Weatherby Fan
05-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Palomar knott is probably what you want to use

tim3500
05-21-2021, 09:48 AM
Double Uni Knott That works for the braids

tim3500
05-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Nail knott drop of Krazy glue and a sleave

wideopenthrottle
05-21-2021, 10:58 AM
anyone looking for a good site for knots can check out https://www.animatedknots.com/

BRvalley
05-21-2021, 11:04 AM
by traditional method, assuming you were using the willis knot? (push sheath back, cut lead core, insert mono leader in hollow sheath, and overhand knot?)

also guessing you're using the suffix lead core, with goretex strands mixed in the dacron? I've never really used the willis knot but I've seen it tied a few times and have heard it slips out with the new suffix stuff....I just cut a few inches of core, and attached my leader with an albright knot or alberto/improved albright depending on leader test....I know some guys who like to run a micro swivel too, and palomar hollow sheath to the swivel

srupp
05-21-2021, 03:48 PM
Hmm sorry..knott used for tying leadcore to leader.
Nail knot did not hold..surprising
Double nail knot did not hold even with glue.
Double surgeons knot did not work.
Willis knot did not work..
Will try the Palomar knot
Then call manufacturer..grrr
50 years of fishing tying knots. .back to having them fail...
The new outer sheath is extremely slippery..
Thank you Gents
Steven

CranePete
05-21-2021, 06:51 PM
Maybe a trip to Herbies is in order. They’ll likely have the leacore that you’re using, and you can take a pic of the directions with your shoephone.

Bugle M In
05-22-2021, 11:55 AM
What you could do, is lay down some standard "backing line" first, just enough to cover the bottom, then us either a nail know or
double uni, from backing to lead.
Use an Arbor Knot for reel.
Some will use a Uni.
You could also put down some electrical tape on the reel first, or right after attaching lead to reel using an Arbor knot, place the
electrical tape and then reel on line from there.

geologist
05-22-2021, 01:19 PM
I put a 12 lb mono leader onto my 18lb leadline with a nail knot. Seemed to hold, haven't fished with it yet.

goatdancer
05-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Hmm sorry..knott used for tying leadcore to leader.
Nail knot did not hold..surprising
Double nail knot did not hold even with glue.
Double surgeons knot did not work.
Willis knot did not work..
Will try the Palomar knot
Then call manufacturer..grrr
50 years of fishing tying knots. .back to having them fail...
The new outer sheath is extremely slippery..
Thank you Gents
Steven

Allthose knots are ' catch and release ' knots :lol::lol::lol:

Bugle M In
05-22-2021, 01:47 PM
Lead core to leader, use a double uni knot. (uni on leadcore side, uni on leader and then they bang in to each other)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_72BbxuDKRM

She wont let go off the leader that way.

Phila
05-24-2021, 12:09 PM
Years ago a very accomplished fly fisherman showed me how he finishes the end of his fly lines. First he trimmed the end of the fly line with razor knife at as shallow an angle as possible. Next he put the fly line into a fly tying vise. The fly line end was doubled back to form a very small permanent loop using the trimmed portion to form a gradual increase in line diameter to the loop itself. Once in place the line was whip finished with nylon thread and finally coated with head cement or whatever coating you prefer. This was before crazy glue. Simple to do, harder to describe.

Your leader can be tied to the loop using whatever knot you favour. I use a fisherman’s knot. At that time my mentor was using straight mono leaders for lake fishing instead of tapered leaders and could build a very small loop.

This loop end slides much easier through your rod guides than some other knots, for example jam knots or nail knots. This can prevent the loss of a big fish that unexpectedly makes a run with your leader in the guides. Quick and easy to replace leaders. If the thread unravels with wear it can be re-tied in the field. I have been finishing the tips of my fly lines this way for a long time.

Attaching fly line to the backing my mentor would soak a few inches of the fly line in fingernail polish remover (acetone) for a few minutes and then strip the finish off with his fingernails down to the braided line underneath. This made tying to the backing way easier. Might help you with the finish problem, maybe?

tigrr
05-24-2021, 05:49 PM
you stripped the lead out right?

Bugle M In
05-27-2021, 07:26 PM
My fly lines if they don't come with a loop, i just loop the fly line, and then using mono make a nail knot over the loop.
Cinch down and i have a loop.
Probably can do the same for leaded line to leaders.