PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to the island for the long weekend

Leveraction
05-20-2021, 09:17 AM
Anyone gonna try travelling to the island for the long weekend.
I got a re-re of some kitchen cabinets for a friend and am hoping that is enough excuse for them to let me pass.
also hoping to get 1-2 days in looking for a big black .
anyone know if they are planning on stopping and asking before the ferry terminal.

UPDATE TO MY ORIGINAL POST, I CHOSE TO NOT GO AND HUNG AROUND HOME, HUNTED A DAY NORTH OF SQUAMISH.

MB_Boy
05-20-2021, 09:40 AM
I guess you could try and take your chances but delivering cabinets is not deemed as essential. Just be prepared that you may be turned away.

https://www.bcferries.com/in-the-community/projects/covid-19-coronavirus-disease

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current

Leveraction
05-20-2021, 09:53 AM
I’m not delivering cabinets
He is renovating his house, I’m taking the kitchen fully apart
storing cabinets in his garage
then reinstalling in about a months time.

wideopenthrottle
05-20-2021, 09:57 AM
they asked us when leaving the island.... we just drove up..... but on our way over to the island, they did not ask us in horseshoe bay (wife reserved sailing so not sure what was asked on line?)….business is a legit reason to travel...so is work...so is getting home

sako79
05-20-2021, 10:09 AM
You are good to go travelling for work or volunteer work is essential so if your volunteering and not getting paid to help your friend you're good to go

huntcoop
05-20-2021, 10:19 AM
Try your luck but don't have a poopy diaper if you're turned away. What happens if you're pulled over while "looking for a big black"...

Foxton Gundogs
05-20-2021, 10:57 AM
That's not an excuse I had a letter from a farmer friend in the OK. I was going to see and do some wrenching for. Not an essential service. Other people in the zone can do the job. Expect a fine if caught, lots of checks going on over here

browningboy
05-20-2021, 11:04 AM
My friend just towed his boat over as he's heading to Nootka for the long weekend, no issues!

RyoTHC
05-20-2021, 11:26 AM
I know two groups that hauled their camping and hunting gear across yesterday and today and will be enjoying some hunting and fishing on the island... ymmv

walks with deer
05-20-2021, 11:58 AM
Anyone gonna try travelling to the island for the long weekend.
I got a re-re of some kitchen cabinets for a friend and am hoping that is enough excuse for them to let me pass.
also hoping to get 1-2 days in looking for a big black .
anyone know if they are planning on stopping and asking before the ferry terminal.

Just keep your disease ridden lowermainlader tourists out of the interior and your good to go.

RyoTHC
05-20-2021, 12:08 PM
Exactly. The island is fair game !

Gateholio
05-20-2021, 12:25 PM
Sounds to me like you are going to work at a job. Work is essential.

Onesock
05-20-2021, 01:59 PM
Why dont you guys from the LM just stay home ffor another week..

Fella
05-20-2021, 02:12 PM
They can’t stand to stay in their concrete hellhole lol

05-20-2021, 02:31 PM

what I was thinking too. but hey I guess coming from the highest covid per capita location you may as well share..... :(

browningboy
05-20-2021, 03:21 PM

People have been travelling the entire time, don't kid yourself!

Blacktail1
05-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Only tree huggers and activists over here , logging has killed all the critters sport fisherman have killed all the fish and elk are now carnivores and need to be protected from hunters . Stay home.

patbrennan
05-20-2021, 04:25 PM
I am amazed at the number of people who feel entitled to do whatever they want with no regard for anyone else.

Blacktail1
05-20-2021, 04:43 PM
I am amazed at the number of people who feel entitled to do whatever they want with no regard for anyone else.
^^^^^this^^^^^^

fuzzybiscuit
05-20-2021, 04:54 PM

I’d have to agree with this. Give it a few more weeks for the numbers to come down and maybe we can all get back to a somewhat normal life.

Citori54
05-20-2021, 05:30 PM

Agree 100%. I've done my part, stayed home, not seen my son for a year, wear a mask etc. Just stay home for a while longer thanks.

trebreklaw
05-20-2021, 06:37 PM
Stay home please!!!!

longrifle
05-20-2021, 06:37 PM
Agree 100%. I've done my part, stayed home, not seen my son for a year, wear a mask etc. Just stay home for a while longer thanks.

LOL:lol::lol:

Rieber
05-20-2021, 07:10 PM
You are good to go travelling for work or volunteer work is essential so if your volunteering and not getting paid to help your friend you're good to go

NOT good to go.

Pioneerman
05-20-2021, 07:38 PM
You are going there for work to do a job, it does not matter that someone else could install them locally, it is your job, you are not looking for asylum in a different country. Some people take things way too far . I talked to a friend that works there and he said they will ask, probably but not everyone and if you refuse to get out of line they they have to call supervisor to ask you a couple questions, so if that is done every few cars, they will never sale on time, so he doubts that they will strongly enforce it

cuervosail
05-20-2021, 08:10 PM
Why not just follow the rules?

huntingfamily
05-20-2021, 08:58 PM

That would take common sense

Johnny G1
05-20-2021, 09:01 PM
All common sense is long gone, greed has takin it's place and it's the Me world out there now.

Treed
05-20-2021, 09:17 PM
And if the rules actually made sense, more people would follow them. Letting Albertans in bit restricting BCers is nonsensical. Mind you, I’ve been following them out of some sense of civic duty. Pretending that the rules do make sense.

Harvest the Land
05-20-2021, 09:18 PM

Because restricting a citizens right to move freely in this province/country is a violation of Section 6 (Mobility Rights) of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and some of us sustenance hunters believe it is unreasonable; particularly since Hunting was considered an Essential Service less than a year ago, but not anymore for some reason. I'm not an anti vaxxer (but I personally won't get one), nor am I an anti masker, but I am Anti restricting my right to move freely in this province

Redthies
05-20-2021, 10:18 PM

You talking about our moronic “government”? They do whatever they want, with no regard for common sense or the rights of anyone. This whole thing has been ridiculously mismanaged with the exception of the first month or so. The fact that you can’t go camp in the woods, but you CAN go get pissed up on a patio with 50-60 other idiots is beyond belief.

Redthies
05-20-2021, 10:24 PM
And if the rules actually made sense, more people would follow them. Letting Albertans in but restricting BCers is nonsensical.

Eck-effing-zactly! As soon as the government starts making sensible rules, I’ll start following them. Well, technically I AM following them, but only because it was my plan to stay home and complete a bunch of jobs this month. I absolutely never travel on long weekends. Everything is way too busy.

russm
05-20-2021, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=Citori54;2255426]Agree 100%. I've done my part, stayed home, not seen my son for a year, wear a mask etc. Just stay home for a while

If things are that scary you should stay home.

BiohazardHands
05-20-2021, 10:59 PM
Dad always told me there were a lot of idiots out there. Didn’t really believe him when I was younger. Turns out he was on to something.

Stay home.

browningboy
05-20-2021, 11:51 PM

‘Holy drink enough kook aid? Go hide under your bed until this clears but while that’s happening I’m living life, hooking fish etc..

browningboy
05-20-2021, 11:53 PM
Dad always told me there were a lot of idiots out there. Didn’t really believe him when I was younger. Turns out he was on to something.

Stay home.

Lol, do yourself a favour and don’t watch the news, then go outside and start living life, don’t be a scared little sheep that the news wants you to do!

browningboy
05-20-2021, 11:55 PM
I should just go to Victoria for the weekend, just to say it’s all okay, you’ll live and the world will still turn! Man some folks are close to shitting their pants!

fuzzybiscuit
05-21-2021, 05:37 AM
CNRL, the Oilsands site not far from where I work, just recorded its third Covid death in the last 3 weeks. Shell Albion, now also owned by CNRL, just had its first Covid death last week. Suncor Base Plant had a Covid death a few weeks back.

What did all of these people have in common...? They were just regular working folks. None of them were elderly.

Despite some delusional people saying this is just another Flu, it is not. Everyone needs to do their part to get through this. For those getting vaccines, good on you and thanks.

Onesock
05-21-2021, 06:40 AM
You can go camp in the woods. Just do it in your own health region!!!! Jeez

steel_ram
05-21-2021, 06:51 AM
Because restricting a citizens right to move freely in this province/country is a violation of Section 6 (Mobility Rights) of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and some of us sustenance hunters believe it is unreasonable; particularly since Hunting was considered an Essential Service less than a year ago, but not anymore for some reason. I'm not an anti vaxxer (but I personally won't get one), nor am I an anti masker, but I am Anti restricting my right to move freely in this province

You don't have as many "rights" as you think you do, besides the emergency measures act trumps them. Sustenance hunters do not need to spend hundreds of dollars passing by dozens of grocery stores driving equipment worth tens of thousands of dollars to go kill wormy black bears.
Besides, going out in the woods around here on a busy long weekend sucks. Living on the island it is the one weekend I do not venture out. Too many yahoo's.

russm
05-21-2021, 07:56 AM
You can go camp in the woods. Just do it in your own health region!!!! Jeez

No,I have a BC driver's license not a fraser health region license,I was in merrit last weekend,im sure all of the people I didn't come in contact with are doing just fine

huntingfamily
05-21-2021, 08:22 AM
Not only is it a provincial travel restriction, but the LML's aren't welcome in the rest of the province.
Stay TF home and keep your diseases amongst yourselves until more people are vaccinated.
Thank you.

russm
05-21-2021, 08:37 AM
Not only is it a provincial travel restriction, but the LML's aren't welcome in the rest of the province.
Stay TF home and keep your diseases amongst yourselves until more people are vaccinated.
Thank you.

Lol,not one person has traveled from anywhere outside of the lower mainland in the last year or so? Give your head a shake, don't come down here when you need health care or anything you can't get in your tiny "safe" town

Ubertuber
05-21-2021, 08:43 AM
Funny how it's usually the law and order types that go against the rules when it doesn't suit them.
I agree the rules are silly, but the self entitlement of some people is remarkable..
Have a nice long weekend everyone.

Harvest the Land
05-21-2021, 09:17 AM
You don't have as many "rights" as you think you do, besides the emergency measures act trumps them. Sustenance hunters do not need to spend hundreds of dollars passing by dozens of grocery stores driving equipment worth tens of thousands of dollars to go kill wormy black bears.
Besides, going out in the woods around here on a busy long weekend sucks. Living on the island it is the one weekend I do not venture out. Too many yahoo's.

It's attitudes like this that only embolden Governments to continue to chip away at citizens rights, because too many people take whatever government says is best for them as Gospel.

I know this might be hard for some to grasp, but I'm scared shitless to eat much of the food found in grocery stores. I also like to have a connection with the food I eat - knowing/seeing where it came from, how it was living its life before it died, or watching the veggies grow in my garden and knowing no chemicals whatsoever were sprayed on them and the soil they grew in was pristine. Ive always found the fish that I catch taste vastly superior to anything I've bought from a grocery store.

Can you please indulge/enlighten me as to what rights I think I have, but apparently (according to you) I don't actually have? Also, can you please show me where the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that violating our Section 6 Mobility Rights was justifiable and reasonable? Because that has not happened yet and just because you think the non essential travel ban is justifiable, does not mean the majority of the justices on the highest court in the land see things your way.

Who knows, they might rule that it was reasonable to infringe on our Section 6 rights. But the reality is they haven't ruled on anything yet and it's premature to assume that it's ok for government to restrict our right to move freely in this province/country

Harvest the Land
05-21-2021, 09:28 AM

Almost forgot, I've never harvested a bear that's had any worms and they've all been friggin delicious. Just because you have had that unfortunate experience doesn't mean every bear is infested with worms

Gateholio
05-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Travel restrictions do not apply to him as he is travelling for work. Those are the rules.

Harvest the Land
05-21-2021, 09:34 AM
Funny how it's usually the law and order types that go against the rules when it doesn't suit them.
I agree the rules are silly, but the self entitlement of some people is remarkable..
Have a nice long weekend everyone.

"law and order types"? I've been called a lot of things in my life but ithats a first

steel_ram
05-21-2021, 10:06 AM
Travel restrictions do not apply to him as he is travelling for work. Those are the rules.

Thought he was going hunting.

Onesock
05-21-2021, 10:08 AM
Work--horsechit

Grizzlydick
05-21-2021, 10:14 AM
how about the ones that can't go to work cause the door is locked. but any hoot u have a choice. one choice i would not have done is posted this to begin with. good weekend to all what ever u do.

Gateholio
05-21-2021, 10:41 AM
Thought he was going hunting.

You didn't see this in the OP I guess?

also hoping to get 1-2 days in looking for a big black

That sounds like work to me. Under the rules, this travel is allowed:

Reasons for essential travelEssential travel between regions is allowed. Essential reasons include:

Returning to your principal residence, moving or helping someone move
Work, both paid and unpaid (volunteer)
Commercial transportation of goods
Getting health care or social services or helping someone get those services
Court appearance, complying with a court order or parole check-in
Exercising parental responsibilities (including spending time as a parent with a minor child)
Accessing child care services
Attending classes at a post-secondary institution or school
Responding to emergencies or a critical incident, like search and rescue operations
Providing care to a person because of a psychological, behavioural or health condition, or a physical, cognitive or mental impairment
Visiting a resident as an essential or social visitor at long-term care or assisted living facility
Fleeing the risk of abuse or violence
Attending a funeral
Local residents travelling into or out of the Nisga’a Health Authority region from the Northern/Interior travel region

Travel for hunting is not allowed but it appears his primary reason is work.

emerson
05-21-2021, 10:53 AM
We are 14 months into 14 days to flatten the curve. The world hasn’t ended yet. It’s illogical to believe the “we are almost there” bs. If the “don’t travel” folks are serious, you need to shut down the constant truck traffic that has continued unabated for 14 months. Those drivers hug their kids who go to school etc. Their partners work so over , healthcare included. Pretending that a dude pulling cabinets or bear hunting will put you at serious risk of death while the constant stream of trucks bringing your stuff to Costco continues is not logically sound. If you are scared, stay home.

MOOSE MILK
05-21-2021, 10:56 AM
Stay on the lower waist land keep yer disease ridden self ta home...ain't no b-bears out here anyway.

Gateholio
05-21-2021, 11:28 AM
We are 14 months into 14 days to flatten the curve. The world hasn’t ended yet. It’s illogical to believe the “we are almost there” bs. If the “don’t travel” folks are serious, you need to shut down the constant truck traffic that has continued unabated for 14 months. Those drivers hug their kids who go to school etc. Their partners work so over , healthcare included. Pretending that a dude pulling cabinets or bear hunting will put you at serious risk of death while the constant stream of trucks bringing your stuff to Costco continues is not logically sound. If you are scared, stay home.

People don't want to hear this common sense talk. I see this in my own community too- some think that if the LML people would stay away all would be good. The reality is that most covid cases on the Island were likely brought there and spread by Island residents.

Harvest the Land
05-21-2021, 11:59 AM
Yup - well said Emerson and Gatehouse

Onesock
05-21-2021, 12:01 PM
That's why 2 weeks after every long weekend cases on the Island increased dramatically. More tinfoil hat stuff!

Onesock
05-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Oh yea it was all the locals in Whistler that caused the problems there to right! HAAAHA

Gateholio
05-21-2021, 12:23 PM
That's why 2 weeks after every long weekend cases on the Island increased dramatically. More tinfoil hat stuff!

At the same time, there is an increase in the LML. So why would that be? Covid infected islanders visiting the LML? Or maybe it's that people are more social with their family and friends on a long weekend.

The fact is, the highest number of travelers between LML and island are island residents. And residents of a community are much more likely to socialize indoors with other members of their community rather than someone from another community that they don't even know.

Oh yea it was all the locals in Whistler that caused the problems there to right! HAAAHA

To a large degree, it was.

No doubt covid positive travelers visited Whistler and infected residents, but Whistler residents visit the LML frequently. They also live and party in very tight quarters. We certainly cannot blame only tourists for the introduction and spread of covid in Whistler.

We now know that covid is mostly spread indoors over a period of time, not outdoors or indoors for a short duration. Most (but certainly not all) of the covid positive people in Whistler were in the younger demographic that tend to live with many people and party frequently.

Onesock
05-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Sure sure!

Onesock
05-21-2021, 12:31 PM
Its because LM travel to the island and the people that stay on mainland visit each other!!

cuervosail
05-21-2021, 02:54 PM

Let's say you wanted to go hunting in Golden, but Highway 1 is closed between Revelstoke and Golden for avalanche control. Do you believe your "Mobility Rights" are being infringed upon because you can't move freely?

Retiredguy
05-21-2021, 02:56 PM
Well one thing is for sure, many are not staying home. Around where I live the campgrounds started filling up yesterday, heck some were already full by mid-afternoon. Hwy 16 was busy with motorhomes, trucks and campers...lots of boats being towed, and damned if I didn't see quite a few Alberta plates.

My wife commented that it appeared many had hit the road early to avoid the roadblocks. We drove to town yesterday to get some groceries and such so that we did not have to go anywhere on the long weekend as we like to avoid the zoo. Wife said the grocery store was very busy and full of people that were obviously not locals. As we were driving I also noticed that quite a few people from the LML that own recreational property had showed up for the long weekend.

Not much to say other than I am seeing what I expected. It's human nature. It doesn't matter what gets said by the powers that be, many will just do what they want. Sign of the times.

quadrakid
05-21-2021, 03:01 PM
I have been camping in Tofino since Tuesday. Very quiet around here but the campers are rolling in today.

Harvest the Land
05-21-2021, 04:12 PM
Let's say you wanted to go hunting in Golden, but Highway 1 is closed between Revelstoke and Golden for avalanche control. Do you believe your "Mobility Rights" are being infringed upon because you can't move freely?

Yes my mobility rights would absolutely be infringed upon - by Nature; and even though that would be unfortunate, it would make complete sense for why I couldn't travel to Golden and I could accept it.

Whereas irrational, cruel and arbitrary travel restrictions imposed upon us by our Government, I believe, are completely unreasonable and do not make sense, which makes them very difficult to accept. Whenever Govt deliberately infringes upon my Charter Rights, I take notice and question the rationale.

Wearing masks on an airplane with a ton of people crammed inside, well that makes sense to me. Not allowing people to go camping/hunting/fishing etc. on May Two Four weekend makes no sense whatsoever imo

Greenthumbed
05-21-2021, 05:31 PM
Speaking of Golden. There is enough travellers here, Albertans and otherwise. Golden has been a Covid hot spot for the last several months. Most, if not every case in town can be attributed to someone either leaving town and coming back infected or someone bringing it to town when coming to visit or recreate. It would be very helpful for us here if everyone stayed local. Seems like there has been a spike in number of cases after every holiday. When it’s a small town like Golden it is easy to see the pattern.

russm
05-21-2021, 05:33 PM
Its because LM travel to the island and the people that stay on mainland visit each other!!

Not one single person has left the island in the last 14-15 months and brought anything back?

Onesock
05-21-2021, 06:07 PM
Ya they probably have thats why there are travel bans out there. You can go fishing hunting and camping. Just do it in u own health region. Not that hard to understand!!

Gateholio
05-21-2021, 06:57 PM
I'm sure everyone is looking forward to Tuesday, when LML residents will be welcomed back to Vancouver Island. :)

steel_ram
05-22-2021, 05:30 PM
Yes my mobility rights would absolutely be infringed upon - by Nature; and even though that would be unfortunate, it would make complete sense for why I couldn't travel to Golden and I could accept it.

Whereas irrational, cruel and arbitrary travel restrictions imposed upon us by our Government, I believe, are completely unreasonable and do not make sense, which makes them very difficult to accept. Whenever Govt deliberately infringes upon my Charter Rights, I take notice and question the rationale.

Wearing masks on an airplane with a ton of people crammed inside, well that makes sense to me. Not allowing people to go camping/hunting/fishing etc. on May Two Four weekend makes no sense whatsoever imo

Where are these "mobility rights"?

Mulehahn
05-22-2021, 06:21 PM
Where are these "mobility rights"?

Section 6 of the Charter of Rights And Freedoms. Mobility rights are guaranteed except if the government can prove in court justifiable restrictions. All levels of government are claiming that a world pandemic creates justification.

The main problem is not that the government is creating these restrictions to me, but rather the courts are refusing to hear cases. Judges have openly said that they are not Drs and as such can not determine what actions are best.

No one is asking a judge to create a medical plan to lead us out of this. People are asking if their rights are being infringed.

BowsUp
05-22-2021, 06:39 PM
We live in times where for many people it is all about ME. They use all manner of reasons but the bottom line is basically it is all about ME. They behave as they wish.

Discussion is futile.

j270wsm
05-22-2021, 06:56 PM
We live in times where for many people it is all about ME. They use all manner of reasons but the bottom line is basically it is all about ME. They behave as they wish.

Discussion is futile.

With that being said.......your right but it’s a 2 way street. People on both sides are only concerned with themselves.

If your scared, wear your mask, sanitize your hands, stay 6’ apart, and get your “ vaccine “ and I’ll continue to wear a mask and keep my distance but I’m not going to stop living my life because your scared.

Redthies
05-23-2021, 06:25 AM

Thank dog someone else gets it!

browningboy
05-23-2021, 06:59 AM
I don’t if anyone has but I’ve been seeing a lot of US plated cars this weekend, I’m used to seeing the odd one but it seems like a spike? Weird

Gun Dog
05-23-2021, 07:29 AM

Discussion is futile.True. There are people demanding that I stay at home and behave the way they dictate so that they fell safer. Because feeling safe is more important then being safe. Because they can't deal with their own problems. These people also demand that I not drive my truck and not eat meat so that they feel better about themselves.

I wear a mask to protect ME from airborne viruses and received a vaccination to protect ME from getting sick. You can do whatever you want.

steel_ram
05-23-2021, 07:47 AM
Section 6 of the Charter of Rights And Freedoms. Mobility rights are guaranteed except if the government can prove in court justifiable restrictions. All levels of government are claiming that a world pandemic creates justification.

The main problem is not that the government is creating these restrictions to me, but rather the courts are refusing to hear cases. Judges have openly said that they are not Drs and as such can not determine what actions are best.

No one is asking a judge to create a medical plan to lead us out of this. People are asking if their rights are being infringed.

Don't see how your rights to live or work in another province or leave the country have been violated unless your going "Karen" on us. Whether you agree or disagree with temporary actions taken to prevent the spread of covid, the elected government of the day, like them or not, has the power to act to how it feels best to protect the lives of our people. I would suspect the "Right to life," by far out ways the perceived "Right" of recreation travel.

Mulehahn
05-23-2021, 08:29 AM
Never said that I agree or disagree with the actions. I am just saying that the Charter guarantees Canadian Citizens the right to travel anywhere in the country.

But I fully suspect that if it went to court a judge would rule that the current restrictions are justifiable. I have no problem with that. I actually did cancel my bear trip because of the health order. I do have a problem with the courts refusing to hear cases because they claim they are not experts on infectious diseases. No one asked them to be, the case was being argued on the law and the charter. They are supposed to be experts on that.

abbyfireguy
05-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Provincial Health orders trump the right to travel freely throughout the land in a Pandemic Health Crisis.
That’s just the way it is.. Some people beak off about restrictions and have no concern for others safety.
Get with the program folks or we will have Covid with us for a longer period!

emerson
05-23-2021, 07:39 PM
Provincial Health orders trump the right to travel freely throughout the land in a Pandemic Health Crisis.
That’s just the way it is.. Some people beak off about restrictions and have no concern for others safety.
This is 2021, that message was for 2020.

Redthies
05-24-2021, 07:24 AM

As Emerson said, that was fine last year. The clowns in power missed the boat, and the rest of us pay for their continued stupidity. All the hastily built “patios” in wall tents that restaurants have erected to get around the health order are a WAY BIGGER threat to public health than people travelling to recreate. I regularly see 50+ people all unmasked in a giant booze fueled Petrie dish, while I can’t go be alone with my household members hunting or fishing in the wilderness. TOTAL BULLSIT! If the government was really serious about ending this virus, they would have implemented Australia style lockdowns last year. 30 days of total shut downs and they were DONE. There are currently ZERO cases of covid in Oz, and ZERO restrictions. Life is back to normal there. We are suffering through a multi-year stupidity fest instead. It’s death by a thousand cuts.

russm
05-24-2021, 10:45 AM
At this point if you're so worried about catching anything you're probably better off masking up and just staying locked in your house,let the rest of us get on with our lives,im so sick of the "you need to keep me safe because I'm scared" mentality.