PDA

View Full Version : Who eats at the table?

Blacktail1
05-18-2021, 04:29 PM
My wife and I have always been adamant that we eat our meals together at the table as a family . My oldest kids used to like to tell me we are weird no one does that anymore!! My reply would alway be yes we are weird and that’s a good thing . But I’m curious how many folks actually sit as a family for meals anymore?

Steeleco
05-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Rare but we still do on occasion.

adriaticum
05-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Don't let the kids teach you how to make babies.

marcus44
05-18-2021, 04:36 PM
We always try to sit down for family dinner

wos
Always unless I'm alone. Then I like the TV for company.

Brew
Every night in my house. I was raised that way and so was my wife so that’s why we do it. Seems to work for us now. Who knows what it will be like when my kids are teens

Bustercluck
05-18-2021, 04:41 PM
We do on as many days as possible. I work shift work, so most of my days off

Yuritau
05-18-2021, 04:44 PM
The wife and I rarely do, but once she hatches and the parasite is old enough to be aware of it I think it'll be our norm.

CranePete
05-18-2021, 04:46 PM
When the children were still at home, we always ate as a family at the kitchen table. Not so often nowadays. I leave the house by 0500, and get back around 7:20, so I’ll be wife has already eaten.

JcNemo
05-18-2021, 04:51 PM
For dinner and lunch (especially dinner), we always eat at table as a family. However, we eat breakfast on the kitchen island.

todbartell
05-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Always when I was a kid. Now that I'm an adult I eat on the couch haha

crazy ducker
05-18-2021, 04:59 PM
We still do and the kids like it. We also still have Sunday dinner with my mom where she comes down to our place and has a nice dinner with us we don’t ge5 to see her durin* 5he week as both my wife and I coach both our kids baseball teams so Sunday dinner it is.

emerson
05-18-2021, 05:45 PM
It’s very small, so gather the family to begin and then the eldest carries on. Good kid so not an issue, but if he was an antisocial miserable type, we would make him interact the whole meal. It’s good to have one family face to face a day.

cdub
05-18-2021, 05:46 PM
Always at the table with the kids. Tried to teach consistency, kids always knew where they slept and ate and what time for both.

Gateholio
05-18-2021, 05:48 PM
If you have a table, you may as well use it! :)

Although when the weather is nice I like to eat on the bar area on the deck, even though there is a table out there.

When I was a kid we all ate at the table and even as young kids we all had spirited discussion about many topics and current events. My parents thought it was an important part of being a well rounded person and they were probably correct. Sundays we sometimes would break out the TV trays and eat dinner while watching Walt Disney or Animal Kingdom. Depended on what time dinner was ready. :)

Imdone
05-18-2021, 06:16 PM
In my sixties, retired, wife still working , still got a 25 year old tricycle motor that works ass off saving for a home, but when here Yes three of us, if not Yes wifey and I too. Dam right. Hats off at the table too, by the way elbows off the table, don't ask for anything you dont see and eat everything you took on your plate, don't start till everyone is sitting by the way.

Jmazu
05-18-2021, 06:28 PM
Breakfast usually at the kitchen island unless we make something fancier then toast or cereal.
lunch usually at the kitchen island as it’s usually just a sandwich or snack.
Dinner, always at the kitchen table, unless we are outside. Then it’s the outdoor table.
I think it’s good to get everyone together. Gets the kids talking.

cameron0518
05-18-2021, 06:33 PM
Almost always at the table. Good time to put down the electronics.

albravo2
05-18-2021, 06:36 PM
We always eat at the table as a family. I credit my wife for always having a delicious meal ready, although the boys are stepping up now and then to cook for everyone.

Lots of laughter at our table. Some debate and sharing of news, but always lots of laughter.

Blacktail1
05-18-2021, 06:42 PM
In my sixties, retired, wife still working , still got a 25 year old tricycle motor that works ass off saving for a home, but when here Yes three of us, if not Yes wifey and I too. Dam right. Hats off at the table too, by the way elbows off the table, don't ask for anything you dont see and eat everything you took on your plate, don't start till everyone is sitting by the way.
Now that’s one I never understood “elbows off the tale” what did elbows do so wrong that your sick beaters haven’t to not be allowed on the table???

Jburger
05-18-2021, 06:49 PM
We always had dinner at the table when the kids were growing up, except on Friday’s when we had movie night. Best way to keep the lines of communication open.

Norwestalta
05-18-2021, 07:07 PM
Always eat at the table and a hat on will earn you a cauliflower ear.

srupp
05-18-2021, 07:14 PM
Hmm never unless guests are here.
Srupp

moosinaround
05-18-2021, 07:20 PM
Always eat at table in our house!! Breakfast and dinner!!

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-18-2021, 07:32 PM
Love this thread... we always eat dinner together (two adults two kids), remaining meals during the week as much as possible (hard to maintain, though), all meals together on the weekends. IMHO super valuable

decker9
05-18-2021, 07:33 PM
Guarantied family time, dinner at the table, I look forward to it every day.

FlyingHigh
05-18-2021, 07:53 PM
No kids here yet, but for us the kitchen table is for special occasions and games. Not day to day use. LOL. We generally eat breakfast separately as we're on different schedules. I eat at island while browsing forums or reading news. For lunch, we're separate again. It's generally where ever is convenient, usually the island. Dinner is a bit more of a production. I cook while she cleans and tidies up the kitchen, that's when we have our catch up talks and chit chat. Then we eat at the coffee table while watching a movie or whatever show we're binging on. Then we clean up together while talking some more. I can honestly count on 1 hand the number of times we've eaten a regular dinner at the kitchen table in the entire 8 years we've been together.

Sitkaspruce
05-18-2021, 07:57 PM
We have always sat at the table for meals.

But with COVID, the wife now sits at the table for work and has the table covered in "stuff".

So we both sit at the kitchen island for lunch and dinner..breakfast is at our work stations at home.

Growing up, we always sat at the table together for all meals.

Cheers

SS

dru88
05-18-2021, 08:03 PM
I have a 17,14 and 12 year olds and we eat dinner at the table almost every night.

Weatherby Fan
05-18-2021, 08:06 PM
Growing up in our house when I was a kid dinner was ready at 5:30 every night and you didn't miss it, we all sat and ate together.

When Im home from work Karen and I eat dinner together everynight at the table, sometimes on the couch/coffee table in front of the TV, mostly on the back deck outside, we eat outside about six months a year weather permitting of course,

Tonights dinner on the deck with the beautiful Miss Karen, east coast scallops, focaccia bread and salad, tonights red Apothic cab-sav.....cheers everyone !

http://i.imgur.com/dQKh02c.jpg (https://imgur.com/dQKh02c)

ghunter4x4
05-18-2021, 08:09 PM
If we are all home then Yes always. I was raised that way so my kids (13 &18 ) will do the same.

scoutlt1
05-18-2021, 08:15 PM

That's how I was raised, and glad I was actually!
Just me and the dog (cat doesn't count) now so it's mostly on the couch or chair for me, and while yes...I never understood the "no elbows on the table" when I was young, I still can't do it. I also can't do or like the hat at the table...and with others, I just can't bring myself to start until everyone has their food and is sitting down ( I am actually the last one to start eating, especially when there are women and children at the table). Maybe a bit weird, but just the way it is.
Former brother in law would load up his plate and stuff his face when sometimes up to 7 kids were still getting set up at a get together. Drove me crazy!

Good thread!

Ride Red
05-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Both my wife and I grew up as farmers and the table was the place to eat, unless you were working outside on equipment, then it was in the seat or on a tailgate. Still today we eat at the table whether it’s in the house or on the deck. Interesting thread.

Ride Red
05-18-2021, 08:20 PM
That's how I was raised, and glad I was actually!
Just me and the dog (cat doesn't count) now so it's mostly on the couch or chair for me, and while yes...I never understood the "no elbows on the table" when I was young, I still can't do it. I also can't do or like the hat at the table...and with others, I just can't bring myself to start until everyone has their food and is sitting down ( I am actually the last one to start eating, especially when there are women and children at the table). Maybe a bit weird, but just the way it is.
Former brother in law would load up his plate and stuff his face when sometimes up to 7 kids were still getting set up at a get together. Drove me crazy!

Good thread!

Hey don’t leave the cat out :)

scoutlt1
05-18-2021, 08:21 PM
Hey don’t leave the cat out :)

I've realized he eats where, when, and whatever he wants... :-)

REMINGTON JIM
05-18-2021, 08:21 PM
Growing up we all ate the table - then when i raised my own family we ALL ate at the table - Even after the kids were gone we ate at the table - Now in the last 4 years after moving to Kamloops we still eat at the table if we have any company BUT mostly eat at our Big Island now with just the 2 of us ! :smile: RJ

Imdone
05-18-2021, 08:50 PM
When elbows are on the table, check out how many rest their chin or head on their hands. Bored and not engaged half asleep at the table........not acceptable or respectable.
Oh and everyone contribute to either making the dinner or eats and or help clean up..... everything.

Best of times at the table with family.

HarryToolips
05-18-2021, 08:53 PM
Pretty much every day we sit at the dinner table and talk about our day, as families should...

tdot
05-18-2021, 08:57 PM
Table for dinner and breakfast, lunch is often at the kitchen counter. I've got a 2 and 3 year old and I've tried go teach them the habbit early. No toys allowed, they know and will both hand the toys over when they come to the table. My wife is really good at asking them how they're doing, what they learned, etc. Its been interesting the things we've learned from toddlers while eating at the table. I intend to keep that going into their teenage years.

jac
05-18-2021, 09:21 PM
Yes every day family dinner at the table

albravo2
05-18-2021, 09:23 PM
Growing up in our house when I was a kid dinner was ready at 5:30 every night and you didn't miss it, we all sat and ate together.

When Im home from work Karen and I eat dinner together everynight at the table, sometimes on the couch/coffee table in front of the TV, mostly on the back deck outside, we eat outside about six months a year weather permitting of course,

Tonights dinner on the deck with the beautiful Miss Karen, east coast scallops, focaccia bread and salad, tonights red Apothic cab-sav.....cheers everyone !

http://i.imgur.com/dQKh02c.jpg (https://imgur.com/dQKh02c)

Dang, Don, that looks HEALTHY! I don't even see any butter on that focaccia.

I give all the credit to Karen.

westcoaster
05-18-2021, 11:02 PM
Breakfast, mostly is an "on your own" thing with some exceptions.
Lunches, we sit down together except whomever is out. That started when the pandemic did as we all landed at home.
Supper, we always have sat down together.

Wife, two daughters (18 and 20) and myself.

It would seem like the "kids" are still quite happy to have their mother get a meal together for them....

Bigdoggdon
05-18-2021, 11:04 PM
Always, every meal, and no phones at the table. My daughter needs structure.

mpotzold
05-18-2021, 11:50 PM
My wife and I have always been adamant that we eat our meals together at the table as a family . My oldest kids used to like to tell me we are weird no one does that anymore!! My reply would alway be yes we are weird and that’s a good thing . But I’m curious how many folks actually sit as a family for meals anymore?

We're still together as a family & very rarely eat together while sitting at the table.
I almost never ate/eat breakfast at the table or anywhere else.

Lunch, by far my main meal, I eat at the table usually alone when not working outside.
Dinner, only Eve(wife) & I share the table most of the time.

MOOSE MILK
05-19-2021, 12:45 AM
Before my family married off we always ate at the table, now the wife and I often eat in front of the TV, but when the daughter and son in law and grandkids visit it is always at the table together.

steel_ram
05-19-2021, 07:37 AM
Always. It may be the only time we are all together in a day.

Tred
05-19-2021, 12:58 PM
Growing up I ate at the table till I was a teen. When mom decided she'd rather eat dinner at the TV, so dad and I said stuff it we'll eat together at the other TV at the other end of the house.

My own family we eat together, and plan to keep it that way. If your done you can leave early to do dishes. Looking forward to the kids getting older to help with that.

tikkahunter
05-19-2021, 01:07 PM
We eat as a family every night. As said above, it may be the only time together as a family during the day.

wideopenthrottle
05-19-2021, 01:08 PM
wife insists we eat at the table. i'm easy...

Beachcomber
05-19-2021, 01:57 PM
We always eat together. I can't imagine not doing it and, though I have never asked, I expect the kids feel the same way. Now that my daughter is back from university for the summer and knows everything, politics gets a good sounding out but most of our conversation is around the events of the day, plans for the weekend, my inadequate parenting skills etc. Good fun.

MichelD
05-19-2021, 02:49 PM
Mrs. and me sit across the table from each other for lunch and dinner every day.

dino
05-19-2021, 04:54 PM

^^^^^^^^^this is how i was raised and its how were raising our kids. Dinner time together is important in many ways. Dont dare use your thumb as a knife either.

Hugh Mann
05-19-2021, 06:51 PM
I haven't eaten at a proper dining table in 11 years, when I was 16.

tigrr
05-19-2021, 07:01 PM
My wife and I sit at the table together for lunch and dinner and give thanks together holding hands. Looking out at the lake through the bump out window. LIG

northernbrew
05-19-2021, 07:26 PM
Every night we can, in tonights case it was the picnic table

Edzzed
05-19-2021, 07:37 PM
I usually eat in front of the tv at my computer desk. We eat tacos at the kitchen table along with holiday dinners. Next holiday turkey will be just my wife and I as we are moving away from the kids. That dinner will be at the table. Wife won't have it any other way....

Bugle M In
05-19-2021, 08:34 PM
As long as we are all around together, we all eat at the table together.
Most nights.

walker1985
05-19-2021, 08:40 PM
We eat at the table 75% of the time. And I agree with someone else on here that there aren't to be hats at the table. Not sure why other than its not polite but my father in-law would give me crap about it and it just carried on with us as well.

quadrakid
05-19-2021, 09:02 PM

Although when the weather is nice I like to eat on the bar area on the deck, even though there is a table out there.

When I was a kid we all ate at the table and even as young kids we all had spirited discussion about many topics and current events. My parents thought it was an important part of being a well rounded person and they were probably correct. Sundays we sometimes would break out the TV trays and eat dinner while watching Walt Disney or Animal Kingdom. Depended on what time dinner was ready. :)

Are you old enough to remember we had to get through Hymm Sing before Disney came on. CBC early days

Arctic Lake
05-19-2021, 09:44 PM
Oh man . As a kid the whole family at the table, on some occasions ,Sundays ,TV tables and Walt Disney . If at the family table and you finished your dinner sooner than others you had to ask to be excused from the table . You had to finish everything on your plate .
Now If I get home just before dinner the two of us usually sit in the front room and watch the news .
Arctic Lake

Ohwildwon
05-19-2021, 09:57 PM
Just devoured a Smoky over the kitchen sink, it’s almost 10pm

My coffee table has dried up left overs on it, been a busy week :p

Stone Sheep Steve
05-20-2021, 04:29 AM

Exact same here.
In fact the fiancé and I just watched an episode of Untamed World yesterday for nastalgia sakes. Had the theme music stuck in my head so I pulled one up on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/M76mEQF_W3g

SSS

Downtown
05-20-2021, 08:33 AM
Most Days also with Knife & Fork, its part of being civilized. As for the "I have no time Crowd", ask yourself how much time you waste all day with unproductive useless Stuff.
Being married to the same Girl for most of 50 years, never no Drugs and grown up Kids all in Houses the actually own.

Cheers

ian745
05-20-2021, 09:18 AM
Every single time possible, growing up it was only allowed to eat watching tv if you were sick and eating soup, everyone else in the house would rather sit and watch tv to eat, ill eat at the table alone..lol

LiegeRiver
05-20-2021, 09:22 AM

I like your style, Sir!

silveragent
05-20-2021, 09:45 AM
It would be astounding to me that families would allow people to eat separately. Even if someone actually has to eat at a different time for work, schedule, the family still has to get together to share their world, otherwise we are just roommates?

Leveraction
06-06-2021, 06:17 PM
Good post and great question.
I’m from the UK, and born of parents that were children during ww2.
for many years my parents did not have the choice to sit with mum and dad for dinner, and after the war that choice was no longer an option.
so growing up there was one choice, we sat at the table as a family and ate dinner.
how to use my knife and fork and table manners were drummed into me and my brother, which in hind site I thank them.
my dads approach was the dinner table was not only for dinner, it was also for cards and board games after dinner.
the family that eats together plays together.
the family that plays together stays together.

I married a lady from Russia, whom has the exact same parents grandparents during the war situation and she is adamant we sit together and have dinner ( just the 2 of us ) as a family.

my vote goes to the table.

TARCHER
06-06-2021, 06:39 PM
We used to. Mainly now every sunday night when our kids come over.

300H&H
06-10-2021, 05:59 PM
We always, with the odd exception for nachos or pizza, eat at the table.
It's a time to reconnect as a couple and family.

PressurePoint
06-10-2021, 06:23 PM
I’m 34 and have two small boys. 6 and 4. My wife and I have always made it that dinner is ate at the table. I wouldn’t consider myself “old fashioned” but there are many a reason why sitting around at the table is extremely import and healthy.

Squamch
06-11-2021, 05:52 AM
We eat dinner at the table. I eat every meal at the table, if I'm not working on something and eating on the go.

wallz
06-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Good post and great question.
I’m from the UK, and born of parents that were children during ww2.
for many years my parents did not have the choice to sit with mum and dad for dinner, and after the war that choice was no longer an option.
so growing up there was one choice, we sat at the table as a family and ate dinner.
how to use my knife and fork and table manners were drummed into me and my brother, which in hind site I thank them.
my dads approach was the dinner table was not only for dinner, it was also for cards and board games after dinner.
the family that eats together plays together.
the family that plays together stays together.

I married a lady from Russia, whom has the exact same parents grandparents during the war situation and she is adamant we sit together and have dinner ( just the 2 of us ) as a family.

my vote goes to the table.

Yep same here. My lady grew up not having meals together as a family and thought it strange that my family did. We as our family sit at the table together for most meals. I have been blessed with the ability to come home from work for lunch on most days for most years, and we home school, so we on most occasions sit together for our lunch time as well.

In fact people find it strange when the wife and I go out for dinner together without the kids that we sit together and not across the table from each other. WE eat at home beside each other, why not while we are out together. Nothing like having your woman by your side for life. It has only been 23 years for us, and just started our 24th year, and many more happy years to come.

cdub
06-11-2021, 09:43 AM
This idea of eating together as a family would be considered racist beliefs, based on critical race theory being taught.

REMINGTON JIM
06-11-2021, 09:53 AM
This idea of eating together as a family would be considered racist beliefs, based on critical race theory being taught.

REALLY ? ever thought about just plain old FRIEND SHIP as being a GOOD reason ! 8) RJ

cdub
06-11-2021, 10:07 AM
Read some of the literature. Showing up for work on time, working hard, having a wife, rational thinking, are all taught as assumptions of white culture in the States. Coming soon to a school near you.

REALLY ? ever thought about just plain old FRIEND SHIP as being a GOOD reason ! 8) RJ

REMINGTON JIM
06-11-2021, 12:02 PM
Read some of the literature. Showing up for work on time, working hard, having a wife, rational thinking, are all taught as assumptions of white culture in the States. Coming soon to a school near you.

That' a GOOD thing ! :wink: There's already more then enough NASTYNESS in our lives as it is ! :cry: RJ

ekul246
06-11-2021, 12:14 PM
Every meal is at the table. It was at the table together always growing up and continues to be the way for my children. And I'm not that old. Early 30s.
Except for the very occasional movie night where we get Brownies Chicken.
Throw in an audiobook occasionally at the table when we're eating.