PDA

View Full Version : Sausage stuffers

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-18-2021, 02:11 PM
In the market for a sausage stuffer... Any recommendations? Are the Cabellas any good? Lots of cheaper ones out there. Really for occasional "small batch" use only....

Any thoughts appreciated....

adriaticum
05-18-2021, 02:29 PM
https://www.stuffers.com/

oddsix
05-18-2021, 02:33 PM
If you have a grinder, you can purchase a "stuffing" plate. Found I prefer that over a manual stuffer. Picked up a foot pedal from Cabelas to run the grinder with the stuffing plate to make solo stuffing much easier than a manual stuffer.

To answer your question though, have not had any issues with our LEM 5lb stuffer.

cdub
05-18-2021, 02:34 PM
I have a 25lb from Cabelas, nice for large batches but there is waste from the vertical stuffers. l also have a 5lb Trespade horizontal for smaller runs and it has no wasted meat except for in the tube. Trespade are nice but you do pay for them.

Fella
05-18-2021, 02:37 PM
I have a 5 lb LEM as well, great for small batches

cdub
05-18-2021, 04:21 PM
Personally I dont recommend using the grinder to stuff. It uses the worm to stuff and can overwork the meat causing mushy product or fat run out. This is usually noticeable when stuffing small diameter casings.

oddsix
05-18-2021, 04:35 PM
^ Interesting, have never thought of that. What size are we talking when referring to "small"?

Island Idiots
05-18-2021, 05:19 PM
Check Princess Auto. I got 5 pounder. Works great.

srupp
05-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Hmm isn't cheap.. however works awesome for past 20 years..still new..
Mine personally brought here from Germany by a friend.
DICK sausage stuffer..amazing quality for multi generational...use..
Sorry way overkill for occasional small batch use.
Good luck
Srupp

cdub
05-18-2021, 05:41 PM
Pepperoni would be an issue, brat size not as bad and salami would be easy. Stuffers use a piston to force the meat, using a worm gear only over works and mushes the meat.

^ Interesting, have never thought of that. What size are we talking when referring to "small"?

Alpine Hunter
05-18-2021, 06:04 PM
I have a 15 lb. vertical stuffer from Princess Auto. I’ll be the first to acknowledge its a lower quality Chinese product. However, betweeen my buddies and me we probably run about 150- 200 lbs a year through it and it works fantastic. You end up with about 1 lb. of waste in the horn elbow that I just fry up for dinner. They go on sale for under $200 occasionally.

willyqbc
05-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Alpine hunter....cook up a cup of rice. When you get down to the last pound in the horn, force it through with rice. Costs ya pennies, gets 90% of what's in the horn!

Gateholio
05-18-2021, 07:16 PM
Dakota hydraulic stuffer. Works awesome.

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-18-2021, 07:19 PM
A sausage stuffer named "Dick"???? Really???

Must be good :-)))

Sitkaspruce
05-18-2021, 07:19 PM
If you have a grinder, you can purchase a "stuffing" plate. Found I prefer that over a manual stuffer. Picked up a foot pedal from Cabelas to run the grinder with the stuffing plate to make solo stuffing much easier than a manual stuffer.

To answer your question though, have not had any issues with our LEM 5lb stuffer.

Had the 11 lbs cabelas and sold it as it was a PITA unless I mounted it on a 12x12 1" piece of plywood; too much tipping over as it is top heavy. Sold it and use the grinder to stuff everything.

Personally I dont recommend using the grinder to stuff. It uses the worm to stuff and can overwork the meat causing mushy product or fat run out. This is usually noticeable when stuffing small diameter casings.

I have no issues, even with pepperoni. I do freeze the body and auger and have never had an issue. I will keep an eye out the next time and see if there is an issue.

Cheers

SS

Alpine Hunter
05-18-2021, 07:59 PM
Alpine hunter....cook up a cup of rice. When you get down to the last pound in the horn, force it through with rice. Costs ya pennies, gets 90% of what's in the horn!

That’s a good trick! Thanks for the tip.

blackhawk19
05-19-2021, 07:58 AM
tre spade or f .dick . There's a reason these ones cost more

srupp
05-19-2021, 12:54 PM
A sausage stuffer named "Dick"???? Really???

Must be good :-)))

Yup..if your talking sausage..your talking Dick...lol
I was looking for a great sausage stuffer. .highest recomendations were for Frederick Dick sausage stuffer from Germany..fit finish robust build quality all rated top of the heap.asked my hunting buddy Detleft if they were really that good..all his friends that made lots of sausage and had a stuffer chose Dick.
He surprised me and brought.me one over..used it for 20 years and it still looks and functions like new.
Srupp

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-19-2021, 03:33 PM
I know I know... just sad juvenile humor on my part. I am actually from Germany and know the brand. It's not really funny in German as "Dick" just means "fat" (as in "A person is fat or 'huge') and is not an uncommon last name.

How are you dealing with the different voltage (220 vs 110) on such a high power motor?

sakohunter
05-19-2021, 04:42 PM
The LEM 10lb two stage stuffer works great. Allows for easy change over for different sausages types and the kids can work the crank consistantly and easily.

twanger
05-19-2021, 04:53 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Trespade_.JPG
Tre Spade works for me..

srupp
05-19-2021, 07:09 PM
I know I know... just sad juvenile humor on my part. I am actually from Germany and know the brand. It's not really funny in German as "Dick" just means "fat" (as in "A person is fat or 'huge') and is not an uncommon last name.

How are you dealing with the different voltage (220 vs 110) on such a high power motor?

Hmm mine is Armstrong model..good old hand crank..
Srupp

tigrr
05-19-2021, 07:13 PM
I bought a separate stuffer and then found it less clean up if I just used the grinder with the proper attachments to do all my stuffing.
I take out the cutting disk and cutter and it feeds quite nice. It takes two people to use the grinder to make sausage but it take two to use the manual stuffer properly. I've made 120 lbs of sausage so far. I have 40 lbs of meat for more batches.

IslandWanderer
05-19-2021, 11:29 PM
Hmm isn't cheap.. however works awesome for past 20 years..still new..
Mine personally brought here from Germany by a friend.
Sorry way overkill for occasional small batch use.
Good luck
Srupp

I've got a 9 litre F Dick- built like a tank. Wanted a small cheap one for occasional use, but found the f dick for cheap so ended up with that.

Gateholio
05-20-2021, 08:11 AM

F. DICK is a popular brand of kitchen knives and accessories.

IronNoggin
05-23-2021, 12:14 PM
20 lb stuffer from Princess Auto:

https://i.imgur.com/NVQ9y12.jpg

Nog

srupp
05-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Hmmm Matt..mine did not arrive with a Kokanee can...mine was a case of Kulembacher...lol
Steven

TyTy
05-24-2021, 01:28 PM
I have the 5lb and 15lb LEM stuffers. I mainly do pepperoni with the 5lb. The 15lb apparently cannot run a 10mm horn as it is creates too much torque on the gears.

whatever you do, make sure you get metal gears.

IslandWanderer
05-24-2021, 08:40 PM
I have a 25lb from Cabelas, nice for large batches but there is waste from the vertical stuffers. l also have a 5lb Trespade horizontal for smaller runs and it has no wasted meat except for in the tube. Trespade are nice but you do pay for them.

I just sold my 9 litre f dick and made about a 80% profit. Used some of the proceeds to buy the 3 kg tre spade horizontal from a place in Ontario. Watched a video review of one- looks like it's pretty easy to use.