PDA

View Full Version : Tripods

Ruger.270
05-16-2021, 10:03 AM
So this year I am thinking of taking the plunge into getting a tripod. Uses will be primarily glassing with my 15x56 Swarovski binos, or secondarily with a spotting scope (also on the shopping list). Primarily alpine deer hunting or long distance cut block glassing. If possible it would be interesting to be able to carry a clamp mount for my rifle to shoot off as well, as depending on terrain a prone shot with a bipod is not always an option. Looking for ideas about brand/model, height (I think I would prefer something I can use sitting or standing) and head type. For now I’m willing to consider pretty much anything under $1,000 but would obviously prefer to keep it more reasonable to increase my budget for a spotting scope.

thx!

RyoTHC
05-16-2021, 10:14 AM
Slightly more than you want to spend but you can thank me later;

https://javelinbipod.com/products/ascent-tripod

I run their tripod, and bipod ranging from 7”-48” I believe.. great products amazing customer service and supporting a quality company across the pond, no Chinese shit.

300rum700
05-16-2021, 10:25 AM
Outdoorsman with pistol grip

Jrax
05-16-2021, 10:37 AM
very happy with the outdoorsmans and right around your budget

emerson
05-16-2021, 10:59 AM
I would not buy a tripod that can’t comfortably and solidly support my rifle. A good one with some practice would give me under 2 MOA groups without other support. I’ve half met my needs many times in my life due to budget restrictions, but ended up spending almost as much as the proper solution.

wallz
05-17-2021, 08:29 AM
A used Revic tripod that you might want to look at on Alberta outdoorsman forum.

I opted for a Field optics research tripod. Kit came with two legs that are removable for walking sticks, hand grips for the sticks, bag, head,... literally a complete set up. I chose this one for the capacity to carry the weight-- basically weight capacity=stability.
As for a clamp mount to shoot from=don't bother and just mount an acra rail on your rifle to quickly clamp directly into the tripod.

walker1985
05-17-2021, 09:00 AM
Just picked up a Spartan Ascent tripod. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I like the versatility

RyoTHC
05-17-2021, 09:10 AM
Just picked up a Spartan Ascent tripod. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I like the versatility

they are amazing, hopefully OP lives by the motto buy once cry once and picks one up, rather than getting something half as good ^^

Ruger.270
05-18-2021, 09:06 AM
re: mounting I already have a picatinny rail on both of my rifles for the quick release atlas bipod, so I'd be a bit reluctant to add another rail section, hence why I was thinking clamp mount.

Thanks for the input so far.

Emerson - which tripod were you using?

wallz
05-18-2021, 10:02 AM
re: mounting I already have a picatinny rail on both of my rifles for the quick release atlas bipod, so I'd be a bit reluctant to add another rail section, hence why I was thinking clamp mount.

You can change the atlas to use the acra rail as well. Trust me it is easier and faster than using a clamp on device on the tripod. I have tried them, and converting everything to acra rail, clamps.

That way all universal across all rifles and mounting/ bipods I have and use.

Alpine Hunter
05-18-2021, 07:23 PM
I have a Siriu T-024SK with a VA-5 pan head. I think it runs about $600 for the combo in Canada. I found a good deal south of the border when I purchased mine. You can stand up and glass with it and it packs down small enough for a sheep hunt. Weighs just under 3 lbs. I’m very happy with it.

Thunderstix
05-18-2021, 07:51 PM
Nightforce A429

walker1985
05-18-2021, 08:58 PM

Spartan has a Valhalla bipod that's meant to attach to a Picatinny rail as well. I personally haven't use one of those though.

sako79
05-22-2021, 06:35 PM
Well I just purchased a brand new set of Swarovski NL Pure 10 by 42s (thank-you precision optics) and I ordered the Outdoorsman stud and at Short adapter but I would like to upgrade my tripod as well. I'm looking at the Slick CF634 or the sirui T-024SK. I will be using it for taking pictures with my camera but mostly glassing with the binoculars at sitting or standing positions. Anyone have any feedback on the two

Onchy
05-30-2021, 02:46 PM
If it helps, Ive been digging into this for the last little while trying to make the same decision. After drooling over the new spartan Ascent - too far out of my range for now, still need new binos - I settled on the Slik Pro CF-634 with a Sirui VA-5 Head. Very solid reviews all around - came to 522ish shipped from USA. B&H photo/video ships free to Canada. As mentioned above, going to look into the ACRA rail mounting for my rifle as a shooting stand option.

jerengineer
02-20-2022, 07:06 AM

Walker, did you get a chance to use your Ascent Tripod? how did you like it?

emerson
02-20-2022, 10:06 AM

Too cheap to buy a good one right now; don’t want a cheap one. My 3 main rifles have ARCA rails already. I want RRS, but will probably end up with a Vortex or 2Vets. I’ve learned the value of higher end gear the last couple years. Don’t go cheap.

Jamesonm
02-20-2022, 01:13 PM
I've been use a manfrotto tripod that I bought years back for my camera. It has a quick release that I've attached to my spotter and another one that I attached to a piece of PVC with a piece of foam glued to it to use as a rifle rest.

Not the best but it works. Altho the tripod is starting to show wear and many of the connections to extend the legs are crack and broken. I've used zip ties to hold them together.

Definitely not made for mountain hunting.

Ruger.270
02-22-2022, 11:23 AM
Anyone try the new vortex tripods? I think the Ridgeview looks pretty nice.

I picked up a Triclawps clamp mount and am now going to look for a tripod with a good 2-way pan head that can quickly be swapped out between binos/spotter and the clamp mount for shooting.