PDA

View Full Version : True North Forum - SCAM?

Golddust
05-13-2021, 10:47 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry about the thread - Gmail flagged the email as potential "phishing" or a scam. I spoke with Dan who has also commented below. I've removed my comments of worry as they were unfounded. I hurt some feelings and stirred the pot a bit so I'm trying to cool things and calm the dram.

In summary it was not a scam - just myself and Gmail being over-cautious of clicking links.

Cheers,
Tony

Drillbit
05-13-2021, 10:52 AM
I got that too.

It's from the other hunting forum in BC I think. Not sure. I made an account there when they first made it, so nobody could take my username but I never really go to it.

MB_Boy
05-13-2021, 11:16 AM
I got the same thing but haven't been on that site for years and only went to have a quick look around when HBC was down for a few days some time back.

BRvalley
05-13-2021, 11:21 AM
True North is Big Shots, Big Shots is True North....laces out, Dan!

Foxton Gundogs
05-13-2021, 11:28 AM
Oh for christ sake of you got an email you are a member. Dan, Bowwalker and TNOF(bigshots) has been around since 2012. Nothing spammy about him or the site. The email you got was for members only so?.

POPS
05-13-2021, 11:49 AM
E mails sent out by site owner-DAN. to our members on TNOF......a.k.a. BIGSHOTS......
......no scams going on!!!!! NAHMINT-.MOD.............aka POPS.
admjn/mods here have my home e mail address

fuzzybiscuit
05-13-2021, 11:53 AM
Who needs another hunting forum?

I can get all my Politics, Covid, Sasquatch and best tire to buy info by just coming here.

Bow Walker
05-13-2021, 11:54 AM
Hey guys,

just got an e-mail this morning about a true-north hunting forum. It was from a very generic name (Dan) and a generic e-mail address. I didnt click on the link but googled the forum name and then went to the website. It looks like a bad knock-off of this site. I didn't click anything because I'm on the work PC. But do you guys know anything? Looks to me like it might be a scam to get people to enter their user names and passwords to this site on there to then hack in? potential anti - hacking? I dunno....

Did anyone else get this e-mail or know anything about it?

Cheers,
Tony

Tony - you are so far out to lunch that it is laughable if it were not so far from the truth.
I own that site. I sent the email. My email address is NOT "generic" The site is NOT a "bad knock off" in any way shape or form.

You actually joined that site in Feb of 2016 and have contributed absolutely zero. It's too bad that you got my bulk email to members. If I had known that you had not visited since you joined I would not have taken the trouble to include you.

Dan - yes that's my name, and has been for over 72 years.

todbartell
05-13-2021, 11:58 AM
I got the email too, sounds like a scam

Bow Walker
05-13-2021, 12:08 PM
Thanks Mark.... you, of all people? :x

Cedar Cowgirl
05-13-2021, 12:10 PM
This thread is nothing but scandal or an attempt to slag TNOF. A scam. TNOF Raised Donated over $2500 to a young Female Hunter Jackie Bates' with CF Go Fund me page to help in a double lung transplant. Sound like a scam? TNOF has Been around since 2012 and has many active members from here. Dan was a Mod here for years before coming to inherit Tnof fro the late Str8shooterBC who was also a member here.
For anyone else who reads this check out TNOF.ca for yourselves. you might like it.
Golddust your post is totally false and a retraction/apology would be in order forthwith.

todbartell
05-13-2021, 12:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DxfckFK.jpg?1

If that doesn't come across as a scam email, I'm not sure what does

Bow Walker
05-13-2021, 12:20 PM
Mark - careful what you click on when you are online then.... If you think that the above looks like a scam - especially when I signed it and said that I am the site owner - then if I were you I'd not click on ANY extraneous links....just sayin' is all.... :wink:

It never ceases to amaze my - the lack of perception displayed by online users. :?

Gateholio
05-13-2021, 12:25 PM
I didn't even know the big shooter forum was still active?

Although I guess it's not very active if they have to send out spam to their entire (inactive) mailing list begging for content. ;)

todbartell
05-13-2021, 12:27 PM
I'd never heard of TNOF, I thought it was called BC Big Shots

moosinaround
05-13-2021, 12:27 PM
Mark - careful what you click on when you are online then.... If you think that the above looks like a scam - especially when I signed it and said that I am the site owner - then if I were you I'd not click on ANY extraneous links....just sayin' is all.... :wink:

It never ceases to amaze my - the lack of perception displayed by online users. :?
Sensitive, and imagine me saying it in a higher than normal pitch in my voice!!! Sheesh guys, easy! Elkarama, I mean moosinaround, sorry wrong forum!��

todbartell
05-13-2021, 12:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/z1gTrGN.jpg?1

Foxton Gundogs
05-13-2021, 12:40 PM
OK guys now you know the truth how about a retraction and apology for the false info and attack GOLDDUST.

Razor84
05-13-2021, 12:45 PM
OK guys now you know the truth how about a retraction and apology for the false info and attack GOLDDUST.

I think you the one who owes Golddust an apology

Cedar Cowgirl
05-13-2021, 12:48 PM
I didn't even know the big shooter forum was still active?

Although I guess it's not very active if they have to send out spam to their entire (inactive) mailing list begging for content. ;)
Now that is professional, you do realize HBC has over 25000 members ow which maybe 100 post and of those 100 6 or 7 post nothing but conspiracy theories. Now thts the pot calling the kettle black. Mods are expected to act with a bit of professionalism. You sir have np idea of that concept. I know go ahead and delete this it wont change the truth.

Golddust
05-13-2021, 12:48 PM

Lol - I appologized. I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong - although even google had accounted it as spam. I edited my initial first post so that people didn't see me speaking ill of the forum as well BEFORE you made your pin-dink comment.

Sorry I hurt your feelings Foxton :(

Bow Walker
05-13-2021, 12:51 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry about the thread - Gmail flagged the email as potential "phishing" or a scam. I spoke with Dan who has also commented below. I've removed my comments of worry as they were unfounded. I hurt some feelings and stirred the pot a bit so I'm trying to cool things and calm the dram.

In summary it was not a scam - just myself and Gmail being over-cautious of clicking links.

Cheers,
Tony

Thank you for the retraction Tony.

Foxton Gundogs
05-13-2021, 12:53 PM
Thanks GD. my feelings arn't hurt just hate fake news that cast aspersions on well meaning people and sites or any other entities. mistakes are made.

358win
05-13-2021, 01:17 PM
I'm amazed that a polite invitation for your thoughts on a site you are a member of, can cause so much attitude.

fuzzybiscuit
05-13-2021, 01:24 PM
So, while we have you guys are on here...I’ve got just one question...

How’s Jeff doing?

bcsteve
05-13-2021, 01:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/z1gTrGN.jpg?1
Hey Mark, can you forward me that green tea email? I’d love to lose 15 lbs in 20 days!

Gateholio
05-13-2021, 02:32 PM
So, anybody know why they spammed the inactive member email list ?

Sure created lots of confusion. :)

Razor84
05-13-2021, 02:58 PM
Hey Mark, can you forward me that green tea email? I’d love to lose 15 lbs in 20 days!

lol you and Cedar both LMAO ROFL

wideopenthrottle
05-13-2021, 04:12 PM
all I can say is I am a member of both true north and western Canada outdoor addicts as well as here....all 3 are great sites with strong personalities and there are a few past situations that lead to all sorts of personal grudges that last to this day...putting that history aside I know i would be a most gracious host to any that chose to join me around a camp fire...so if you havent checked out those other sites please know you can do that safely

Island Idiots
05-13-2021, 04:22 PM
As wide open throttle stated there are other sites in this province. Hunters and sports people like most of you. Same issues same desires and wishes. We are all on the edge of our seats. Our right to hunt is under attack everyday.
Anti hunting and wildlife management sans science threaten our way of life. How’s about we try to come together and try to hang on to our heritage for our children that was given to us by our ancestors?
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

srupp
05-13-2021, 04:39 PM
Hmm am a member on that site too
Recieved the same email..never suspected anything wrong..great idea..
Srupp

Mulehahn
05-13-2021, 05:10 PM
If that email, as has been shown, came into my inbox I wouldn't think twice. If, as suggested by others it went into spam, I would be highly skeptical and my first thought would be that the security of the site had been compromised and I would certainly never click on the link.

Now... Would I have come on here and declared it a scam? Probably not. But to come on here and ask if this is legitimate seems logical to me. I certainly wouldn't go to the site I believe was compromised so going to a similar site with many shared members asking seems very reasonable.

Bow Walker
05-13-2021, 06:11 PM
Fuzzybiscuit - Jeff is doing just fine. He has been since he left here. :frown:

Gatehouse - it was not a "spam of the inactive members list"
What it was was an email to all registered members asking for their input. :roll:

Jagermeister
05-13-2021, 08:44 PM
I'm a member here and there. Those of you that got the email from Dan must have signed up and provided an email address. So put it behind you and move on, keep moving on.

Gateholio
05-13-2021, 09:33 PM
Fuzzybiscuit - Jeff is doing just fine. He has been since he left here. :frown:

Gatehouse - it was not a "spam of the inactive members list"
What it was was an email to all registered members asking for their input. :roll:

I was just wondering what the topic for the mass email to all (mostly inactive) members was about. Mostly out of curiosity, since the thread that was started with a very reasonable and legitimate question was responded to quite dramatically.

Mostly I was curious due to the response. But it’s been a few hours and I don’t actually care about the reason for the spam anymore. :)

decker9
05-13-2021, 10:02 PM
I received the email, but knew exactly what it was about. A laid back forum with a great group of folks with a lot of knowledge. I quite enjoy sharing my ongoings over there :).

THE SWEDE
05-14-2021, 08:34 AM
That place is the Remington 710 of hunting forums

BRvalley
05-14-2021, 08:42 AM
things sure escalated quickly here....it certainly seems like the friendlier forum...

todbartell
05-14-2021, 08:59 AM
I logged in yesterday morning, but since then I can't get back on. The TNOF website won't work for me. Hopefully it comes back online again soon so I can check it out. They must of gotten a big uptick in traffic after the mass email and bogged the forum down

Harvest the Land
05-14-2021, 09:10 AM
things sure escalated quickly here....it certainly seems like the friendlier forum...

Yes they did and it was fascinating to watch. They were defending Big Shit's like a sow Grizz defends her cubs.

However my experience was that it wasn't a friendlier a forum and that's why I stopped going there years ago. It also sucked when they changed it to True North because a lot of the great classic informative posts were moved or deleted

fuzzybiscuit
05-14-2021, 10:22 AM
There’s probably nothing wrong with that other forum and let’s face it, all the people banned from here need some place to hang out.

Bow Walker should probably look at being a sponsor on here though for all the free advertising that site is getting. Heck, it might not be a bad idea for him to look at being a Mod here just so he could ban people and in turn get the membership up over there.

I can see it now:

I regret to inform you but because of your use of inappropriate language, belittling of other forum members and total disregard for all forum rules you are permanently banned from HuntingBC. All is not lost though, please accept this invite to join blah blah blah. We feel that you will fit right in there with other like-minded members...

Keta1969
05-14-2021, 10:39 AM
I logged in yesterday morning, but since then I can't get back on. The TNOF website won't work for me. Hopefully it comes back online again soon so I can check it out. They must of gotten a big uptick in traffic after the mass email and bogged the forum down

So I'm guessing the email and attendant controversy accomplished what it was supposed to?

todbartell
05-14-2021, 10:50 AM
Maybe they're trying to fundraise for a more reliable server

05-14-2021, 12:10 PM
You know the humor in all this.....
Everyone in this thread has been chatting in one way or another for over a decade.... we have been slagging each other across the intraweb for ever! dont you get board? And as far as Jeff, he did the one thing no one here has done. He got tired of the bullshit and left the online. Honestly i really wish him well, he was a good dude. its just too bad no one else can see it like him.

Leaseman
05-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Yes they did and it was fascinating to watch. They were defending Big Shit's like a sow Grizz defends her cubs.

However my experience was that it wasn't a friendlier a forum and that's why I stopped going there years ago. It also sucked when they changed it to True North because a lot of the great classic informative posts were moved or deleted

Ownership had issues with their top posters and a few unanswerable questions along with a few other things. Many of the posts were deleted (yes, hearsay) to rid their small site of any posts by banned members. All water under the bridge.

Cedar Cowgirl
05-14-2021, 04:25 PM
Ownership had issues with their top posters and a few unanswerable questions along with a few other things. Many of the posts were deleted (yes, hearsay) to rid their small site of any posts by banned members. All water under the bridge.
Maybe for TNOF it has, but apparently not for you Mike. Your post is just a thinly disguised attempt to keep your Personal grudges and gripes. The only ones banned are those who tried to sabotage the site from within. But I won't elaborate on your hidden agenda and motives. Oh and about our small site, How many members do you have on your huge site.

todbartell
05-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Maybe for TNOF it has, but apparently not for you Mike. Your post is just a thinly disguised attempt to keep your Personal grudges and gripes. The only ones banned are those who tried to sabotage the site from within. But I won't elaborate on your hidden agenda and motives. Oh and about our small site, How many members do you have on your huge site.

Do you know when TNOF forum will be back online? It's still not working for me

fuzzybiscuit
05-14-2021, 05:04 PM

I bet one of his personal gripes is your constant confrontational tone. Go back and re-read most of your posts. A lot have a confrontational tone. And those are the ones that we can still see because they haven’t been removed.

No wonder Jeff called it quits...

MichelD
05-14-2021, 05:12 PM
I enjoy participating on the TNOF. People there have always been rational, polite, helpful and nonconfrontational in conversations that I have seen.

Cedar Cowgirl
05-14-2021, 05:19 PM
I bet one of his personal gripes is your constant confrontational tone. Go back and re-read most of your posts. A lot have a confrontational tone. And those are the ones that we can still see because they haven’t been removed.

No wonder Jeff called it quits...

:biggrin: oh come on now no need to get your nose out of joint because a woman dare call Bull$hit when she smells it. I did not start any of this.

Fella
05-14-2021, 05:59 PM
Wow this thread has gotten interesting.

bcsteve
05-14-2021, 07:17 PM
Do you know when TNOF forum will be back online? It's still not working for me
Works for me. Obviously you got banned!

Foxton Gundogs
05-14-2021, 07:19 PM
Nope not banned, we are working on it for TB.

walks with deer
05-14-2021, 08:11 PM
I am a hbc lifer never looked at the other forums except alverta outdoors and i sighned up as iron noggin lol...jk maybe.

todbartell
05-14-2021, 09:43 PM

It's working now. Thanks for Foxton for helping me get access to the TNOF forum sorted out

Gateholio
05-14-2021, 09:48 PM
Yay! You are unbanned! :)

Time to go check out what the email was about :) ;)

Razor84
05-14-2021, 10:17 PM

LMAO I'm banned too - GOOD RIDDENCE

fearnodeer
05-15-2021, 06:41 AM
Well room for more then one site in this world, no need to bash any of them if you ask me, they all have members that like the site or sites that they are on, I was a Mod on that site and now banned from that site for asking question they did not feel appropriate, well have moved on and wish them well, no need to hold a grudge if you ask me, I am sure it was not a scam.

swampthing
05-15-2021, 07:16 AM
Never knew that forum existed. Just signed up!