PDA

View Full Version : A game of inches

5/10/85
11-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Time to take up rifle hunting.

Went out yesterday morning, has a glorious opportunity on a nice big 3x4 coastal blacktail. Saw him sniffing out a doe trail and repositioned in a small clearing waiting for him to come up a trail so I had a clear shot. He walked right in to my shooting lane, I drew, put my 20 yard pin right behind the shoulder (he was slightly quartering toward me) and nailed him. I hit him hard right in the shoulder. Thought he would be down for sure, but I found the arrow and a small amount of blood 60 yards later. One blade missing on the broadhead and the point looked like it had hit a rock, but it was covered with flesh, fat and hair, but only the first inch and a half. So disappointing to think I missed by only a couple of inches on a double lung. What a nice deer. DAMN!!! I still can't believe it. Hopefully he'll only be sore for a few weeks and then he'll be fine.

bruin
11-04-2007, 03:12 PM
I did that to a bear with my recurve one year, directly in the shoulder blade. I saw him a couple of weeks later with a slight limp but a couple of valleys down. Hopefully he will be ok, but he will probably be going hard through the rut and infection will be a concern

Gateholio
11-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Unlike my colleague, Mr Bartell- I don't' have a degree in physics and ballistics. However, I can offer a comment that i believe to be accurate.

Most likely, a bullet would have penetrated the shoulder.

:tongue:

Islandeer
11-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Diobolical Gatehouse! crappy about the arrow placement.

greybark
11-04-2007, 06:07 PM
8-) The Mckenzie 3-d targets encourage bowhunters to shoot to close to the front lag and shoulder bone . Lots of talk about tucking your arrow close in to the front shoulder , I question the wisdom on that .. Why in the hell would one be encouraged to place an arrow 2 inches from bone . The point of aim should be in the center of a mass that consists of the bottom 2/3 of the front half . The McKenzie targets generally have the center up 2-3 inches too high and 3-4 inches too far forward .
Several years ago I had good talk with Fred Dean (world 3-d Ch) at the IBO World Ch in Illinois USA. He got a chuckle out of my comments as he was invited to help place the Ten ring on the then new targets . They ignored his placings (similiar to mine) and placed them as they are . He disgustingly stated that McKenzie was teaching North American bowhunters the wrong way to pick your spot .
On a brighter note the arrow indicated a lack of penetration and the animal should be OK . Good luck on your next hunts

Orangethunder
11-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Thats too bad to have it oh so close. I would have thought a good broadhead would have easily penetrated a blacktail shoulder. My buddy sheared the front leg off of a 4 point muley on much the same shot. Might be time to look at a different broadhead??

pupper
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
8-) The Mckenzie 3-d targets encourage bowhunters to shoot to close to the front lag and shoulder bone . Lots of talk about tucking your arrow close in to the front shoulder , I question the wisdom on that .. Why in the hell would one be encouraged to place an arrow 2 inches from bone . The point of aim should be in the center of a mass that consists of the bottom 2/3 of the front half . The McKenzie targets generally have the center up 2-3 inches too high and 3-4 inches too far forward .
Several years ago I had good talk with Fred Dean (world 3-d Ch) at the IBO World Ch in Illinois USA. He got a chuckle out of my comments as he was invited to help place the Ten ring on the then new targets . They ignored his placings (similiar to mine) and placed them as they are . He disgustingly stated that McKenzie was teaching North American bowhunters the wrong way to pick your spot .

On a brighter note the arrow indicated a lack of penetration and the animal should be OK . Good luck on your next hunts

I totally agree with you, targets should be anotmoically correct!!! why the heck would they not be? what is to gain?

Justin

hunter1947
11-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Unlike my colleague, Mr Bartell- I don't' have a degree in physics and ballistics. However, I can offer a comment that i believe to be accurate.

:tongue: Yes true ,but we hunt with what we like to use.

30-06
11-05-2007, 07:59 AM
to bad. hopefully he's ok

5/10/85
11-05-2007, 08:02 AM
thanks for the consolation. It's tough to get these things out of your mind.

Mr. Dean
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM

:tongue:

...... ONLY if it were a TSX bullet.

:tongue::tongue: