PDA

View Full Version : Buck from the Ravine

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I managed to catch up to this guy in big steep ravine today. I had spooked him earlier and he decided to go down through the ravine and up the other side. One shot from the 7mm RM across the ravine and down he rolled until he hung up on a log. Damn it was steep there!

A MILLION thanks to Stone Sheep Steve for coming up and helping me get him out of the hell hole he ended up in!

rageous
11-03-2007, 10:24 PM
that's a good looking buck FD! congrats,

todbartell
11-03-2007, 10:31 PM
nice friggen buck! I like the mass

congrats!

BlacktailStalker
11-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Yup beauty !

Derek_Erickson
11-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Right on FD was he hangin with any does?

Steeleco
11-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Every fork full will bring back memories of all that work. Congrats.

mainland hunter
11-03-2007, 10:52 PM
nice buck, good job

Wrayzer
11-03-2007, 11:22 PM
nice buck! always nice to have mans best friend along for the hunt.

Krico
11-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I'll say steep! That would've been a workout getting him out. Congrats on a beauty buck!

Marc
11-03-2007, 11:44 PM
To funny, what kind of dog is that? It looks like he's pulling on the deers ear.

Awesome looking buck, sometimes you have to work for the bigger buck. Looks like you found one.:biggrin:

Allen50
11-03-2007, 11:44 PM
cool now the work starts, do you have pic once he's out the ravine. looks like a good deer.

Big Bucks
11-04-2007, 12:01 AM
great looking buck , good job

Will
11-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Congrats on a Great buck ! :cool:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Great buck F/D!:cool:
It's always sweeter when you have to work for them.
I'm still not sure how a road hunter get's himself into a mess like that:lol:!!!

You're welcome! Anytime:-).
Just make sure you keep your phone on today as I may have to pack out a whitey. Won't need you back. Just your wheels;-)!

SSS

Brambles
11-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Great buck F/D!
It's always sweeter when you have to work for them.
I'm still not sure how a road hunter get's himself into a mess like that:lol:!!!

You're welcome! Anytime:-).
Just make sure you keep your phone on today as I may have to pack out a whitey. Won't need you back. Just your wheels;-)!

SSS

No SSS its sweeter when he gets YOU to work for them, smart bugger that FD, probably has a whole list of names ready to call when he shoots something, and do you figure he checked for cell service before he shot this guy:D

hunter1947
11-04-2007, 06:07 AM
Nice deer FD ,how long did it take you to get it up the hill and back to the truck ????. As you said it was dam steep there. Did you have some help???. Or did your dog pack some of it out on his saddle bags ,LOL. Congrats on a fine deer.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.:wink:.

Kechika
11-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Who Puts a target on their dog????LOL Nice buck

frenchbar
11-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Who Puts a target on their dog????LOL Nice buckProbably people that dont want there dog shot,mistakin for a coyote or wolf.had it happen to a good frind of mine .he was out hunting with his dog and some other hunter shot his dog not more than twenty yrds away from where he was standing.it happens.:mad:

huntwriter
11-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Very nice looking buck he has good mass in the antlers. Congratulations! Ravines are good places to look for bucks on the travel. This gets me pumped for my upcoming long weekend buck hunt in region 3. We have seen lots of big buck sign on our fall scouting trip in the area we hunt.

dana
11-04-2007, 08:24 AM
FD,
Good Solid Buck!!!! Congrats!!! Now doesn't that hard work make ya feel a whole lot better about yourself than just shooting that buck off the quad? :) Did SSS break in the new J-107 and get it bloody???

308BAR
11-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Congrats! those are some huge forks on the back great. Great job!

browningboy
11-04-2007, 09:29 AM
NIce buck FD! You got it in a ravine, looks like the # 26 rule out of the road hunters handbook!
All kidding aside, nice buck!:razz:

BCrams
11-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Congrats Fisherdude .... I certainly don't see any quad around there!!!

That is a super buck !! Solid, heavy and character!!

I'd wouldn't hesitate to pack that out at all !!

The Hermit
11-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I get so jealous looking at all these fine big bucks taken on the mainland! I just decided I'm heading off-island for a weekend hunt in a couple weeks! Yes I know a spot...

Congrats!

Tikka7mm
11-04-2007, 10:15 AM
That's a nice buck. Nice rack. Congrats.

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks everybody for all the congrats. To answer a few of your questions:

He wasn't with any does but his neck was huge and he stunk lots (my dog managed to rub his neck on the tarsals...phew! Dogs!:?).

Marc, the dog is a wolfhound/spca cross.

H47, I shot him at 10, we had him in the truck at 5. I had to lower him down off the hillside with a rope, I kept tying it off to trees so he wouldn't tumble down the boulder field and get busted up. Once in the bottom of the ravine, I cut him in half but I was wiped from getting him that far, and SSS's fresh legs and strong back for the journey back UP (straight up) and over to the truck were just what the doctor ordered! The only other option was to pack him down through the bottom of the ravine through a 500 m boulder field that was covered with slippery wet/frozen lichens (not a good option).

Dana, SSS brought his old pack, the J-107 he will break in on his own buck. :wink:

It seems this year the bigger bucks are down in the traditional rutting areas a week or so earlier than usual, the past several years of hunting this place I've only seen dink bucks with the does before the season closes on the 10th. I saw another buck of this caliber at first light as I drove into the area yesterday, but he booked it off the road before I could even get the binos on him to count points. Rubs and tracks everywhere!

BCJunior
11-04-2007, 10:45 AM
thats a hog!!! beauty buck!

Flinch
11-04-2007, 10:52 AM
FD,
What you need is a few hundred more feet of line for your winch and some self discipline to know the limits of your quad. Maybe something other than a Polaris might have got you right to the thing! You may run the risk of getting the boot out of the quad hunters association if you keep this stuff up. ;-)

Grandbois
11-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Nice buck, way to go

cbearw
11-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Thats a beauty! :eek:The body looks soo big compared to the whitetails I see here in the okanagan. Love the mass, height, and chocolate color of the antlers. Sounds like you really had your work cut out for you. Glad you had some help! Well done and thanks for posting. :smile:

bruin
11-04-2007, 03:04 PM
That's a good buck, congrats

Buck
11-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Wow its been awhile since i"ve taken one that big now you got me goin again.

ohno
11-04-2007, 05:06 PM
That is one nice looking mulie for sure. They don't get that big by hanging out in peoples back yards.

WoodOx
11-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Nice one fisher, congrats.

Saw one similar to him earlier today! Great deer

brotherjack
11-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah, that's a shooter. Congratulations!

ursus
11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Well done FD, I know who to call for help now!:wink:
Great buck!

mark
11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Congrads buddy, a bit better than last weeks spiker! Georgia bagged a 4 point today also, Ill post up tomorrow. Lots of buck action out there, ive probably seen a 100 fresh rubs in the past 2 days. The bucks are stinky and dumb too! I seen a hog mulie, and a 5x8 whitey brought into the taxis today!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2007, 06:04 AM
FD,
Good Solid Buck!!!! Congrats!!! Now doesn't that hard work make ya feel a whole lot better about yourself than just shooting that buck off the quad? Did SSS break in the new J-107 and get it bloody???

As FD mentioned I used my WW. Didn't want to get the purdy new pack all bloody;-).
There's nothing like an external for straight retreiving. Certainly wouldn't want to still hunt for deer with it on your back but it's good for tying half a deer onto it. It wasn't worth deboning FD's buck in this situation.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/FDsmuley001.jpg
While it was steep, luckilly, it wasn't too far.

It turns out my suspicions were correct. FD had, indeed, been following me around and shot this buck in Reg 10. He should have known that the places where I hunt aren't road hunter friendly. That'll learn him:lol:!!

F/D-I know a great spot for spring bear hunting. Real easy spot too:roll:....

Congrats again!

SSS

calvin L
11-05-2007, 06:34 AM
I beleeve the fisherdude and SSS will be investing in some climbing gear . other than just good boots . It is time like this that the dog has the lash laugh :lol:. Congrat on a fine buck and double congrats in getting SSS out of the hockey arena .

Thunderstix
11-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Every fork full will bring back memories of all that work. Congrats.

Especially if he is hard to chew!:lol: Which he won't be.

Thunderstix
11-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I love the colour of his antlers.

Fisher-Dude
11-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Especially if he is hard to chew!:lol: Which he won't be.

He's at the butcher's for "best steaks" and sausage. He will be some good eatin! :grin:

Sieg-MM
11-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Nice buck FD. Ask Santa if can bring you a longer winch cable for the quad. On the other hand, SSS looks like he can handle a good load; who needs the winch.

It seems this year the bigger bucks are down in the traditional rutting areas a week or so earlier than usual, the past several years of hunting this place I've only seen dink bucks with the does before the season closes on the 10th.

I've been hearing the same thing from down South. My old man took a decent buck last weekend in a spot that usually you don't see those bigger boys until the 10th. Every year is different; keeps things exciting!

horshur
11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
As FD mentioned I used my WW. Didn't want to get the purdy new pack all bloody;-).
There's nothing like an external for straight retreiving. Certainly wouldn't want to still hunt for deer with it on your back but it's good for tying half a deer onto it. It wasn't worth deboning FD's buck in this situation.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/FDsmuley001.jpg
While it was steep, luckilly, it wasn't too far.

It turns out my suspicions were correct. FD had, indeed, been following me around and shot this buck in Reg 10. He should have known that the places where I hunt aren't road hunter friendly. That'll learn him:lol:!!

F/D-I know a great spot for spring bear hunting. Real easy spot too:roll:....

Congrats again!

SSS

Brutal way to take a deer out...Congrats fisher.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Brutal way to take a deer out...Congrats fisher.

Sometimes brawn can make up for lack of brains;).

Like I said, it wasn't that far. Any further and we would have quartered him up or deboned him.

SSS

Ramshot
11-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Gotta Love that wilderness wanderer!:D Nice deer, way to go.

Fisher-Dude
11-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Sometimes brawn can make up for lack of brains;).
SSS

I've got SSS's work, home, and cell numbers written down in the truck. My new motto: SHOOT 'N' DIAL! :biggrin:

calvin L
11-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Fisher dude I am glad you don't have my #'s . :eek: Oh crap you do . I forgot you only call for truck info ;-) That's ok . How is the dirty max holding up ? I better the girl friend would be real nice if you BOUGHT HER A RAZOR .

Fisher-Dude
11-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Truck is running great Calvin! And I've even avoided speeding tickets (knock wood!). The hound would bite ya if you came at him with a razor and tried to shave him!

I'll keep your number for pack-outs too...if you're "allowed" out of the yard! :biggrin: