PDA

View Full Version : MU 7-15 moose pop.

lightmag
11-03-2007, 12:27 PM
i see alot of posts regaurding lack of moose in region 7 this year, also heard from buddies too, i have to dispute that. I've scene lots of moose this year, 5 seperate bulls, and probably 10 plus cows, BUT only one calf??? (calf season should be banned) I Think the lack of moose is only a problem too road hunters! get out and walk, call, sit and atv!! no problem, also, stay closer to towns and hunt pockets as moose are moving in closer to avoid pressure, most people fly by you heading 1-2 hours out in the bush mean while passing tons of awsome moose country in their back yards! Thats my opinion, that being said, with all the miles i put on foot, all the hours sitting and calling and atv use, both bulls we shot this year were driving out to an area on teh road, lol, that's just the way it works sometimes, (those two were the only moose i saw from the truck all year though), lol.. hunting is a funny thing, combination of, time in the bush, skills and luck!!!

Happy hunting my friends :razz:

moosinaround
11-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Haven't seen as many moose this year as I have in past years, But I have seen a fair amount. Funny though the only bull I seen this year was the spike fork I shot? MU 7 especially around PG has changed drastically in the last few years. Continuous clearcutting due to the Beetle, has changed old growth reserves, road patterns and has made access to hunting easier. Moose have been pushed into the older 10-30 year old regrowth which doesn't get as much hunting pressure due to thicker taller vegetation. I think the moose are there, they just don't have to go far to find the cover they need to feel safe and feed in. This is just my hypothesis though. Moosin.

lightmag
11-03-2007, 12:42 PM
totally agree, i'm a long time PG boy and yes it has changed, atv's and longging have opened thousands of acers of hunting area pushing the animals deeper. Like i said stay close to town in spots people don't think to hunt or drive by, or get way the @#$TI out in the bush were most people won't go anything under 250 km from towm is road hunted to death.

moosecaller
11-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Agree; the moose were in the heavier cover this year, and seemed to be a bit cautious about coming out of it? I called in a dozen bulls that I saw and a few more that would not break cover. The 2x2 that I finally got late in the season came from heavy cover with a cow in tow. And also the moose that I called were all within 20 kms. of town most only 8-10 km from home. A lot of people do overlook some good moose areas and like to head out in the remote areas this is ok as well as it spreads out the hunters and some guys just want the areas further out because thats what they know and if it gives them the extra confidence to be successful then that is a plus for them. The thing is put in the time wherever you hunt and enjoy the time there that's what it's all about. As far as method of hunting goes if it makes you happy then do it.

lightmag
11-03-2007, 12:50 PM
all the moose i saw were in heavy timber along trails or roads with heavy timber near by, they are getting smarter, lol

TIKA 300
11-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Having a shared hunt for any bull in 7-16a this year we never spotted any moose at all.Myself i pounded a lot of tree line by foot ,than with my step dads quads we were in a area that didnt see a lot of human activity (lately),but had found fresh tracks on the road 1st thing in the morning,came over that same area half hour later to find tracks on ours:eek::roll: .After a little scouting in the area we realized that a cow and calf had been forced out of their beds by the sound of the quads(DOH !!!!) :confused: Have to say though that some of the lakes in that region are the most picturesque ive seen. PS:1st time ever in the area and a newby to moose hunting TK

TIKA 300
11-03-2007, 09:04 PM
all the moose i saw were in heavy timber along trails or roads with heavy timber near by, they are getting smarter, lol
Any tracks we seen were in these areas also TK

ianwuzhere
11-04-2007, 07:27 PM
i got my 2x3 moose earlier in the season but have seen no calves in the open season. I have hunted persistant all season and have seen less this year than any previous years. I think that maybe the large amount of snow makes it easier for the predators to kill the calves in the winter which is why we need to keep the populations of predators in check. This year i have seen more wolves then any other year, i think its sayin something...~lets hunt em ;)

moosecaller
11-04-2007, 09:01 PM
The wolves are indeed on the upswing I had 4 (2 blacks and 2 silvers)come to my moose call during calf season they were less that 30 feet from me, kind of caught me off guard I thought what the hell is someone letting their shepards run wild and by the time it registered what I was looking at and had the rifle on the way up poof they was gone!

Hang Em High
11-04-2007, 10:46 PM
there's lots of moose in 7. i got back about a couple of weeks ago. didn't see much the first day but after that we were seeing them everyday. we must of saw at least about a dozen or so. cows, calfs, imitures and bull.