PDA

View Full Version : Wader recommendations

sako79
04-29-2021, 09:46 PM
I've never owned a pair of waders in my life but going to be purchasing my first pair for our fly in moose hunt what would you recommend

whitlers
04-29-2021, 10:29 PM
Wiggy's seem to be a popular choice for light weight setup.

tim3500
04-29-2021, 10:55 PM
Sims and look after them last Long time

adriaticum
04-29-2021, 11:53 PM
simms all day long,

Harvest the Land
04-30-2021, 05:54 AM
Do you want a pair that will last for years? If so, Simms G3 all the way. You will never regret it

Ride Red
04-30-2021, 07:39 AM
I’ve owned many different waders from neoprene to breathable. Neoprene (5mm are best) are great for cold weather due to the insulating quality and come in sock foot or boot foot. Sock foot works best for walk fishing as you can snug up the over boot for support and also they come in rubber bottom boots and felt sole boots which are great for river rocks (plus you can buy crampons to go over boot when icy). Breathables also come in boot foot and sock foot. The benefit to boot foot it extra warmth in cold weather wading, but again sock foot and boots gives better support, just not nearly as warm.
You got more info than needed only since you haven’t owned waders. Now to your question. Breathables are the way to go as they’re tough in comparison to neoprene, as neoprene cannot handle bush well cause it snags and tears.(been there done that on multiple moose/steelhead trips) I spent a pile of money over the years with Bare, but my latest pair bought 5-6 years ago now are Simms G3. They come in sock or boot foot and are tough as hell. Hunting, fishing, hiking creeks, climbing out of the boat etc, they’re the way to go. Easily layered for cold days or just shorts waders for warm ones. Dirt/blood washes right off and you stay dry; short of sweating your ass off inside from hiking. Hope this helps. PM for more info if needed.
*** Simms also has regular and tall fit. Make sure you try them on in the store and step up high to make sure you have enough length in leg to crotch. This way you won’t rip the crotch crossing anything high, especially in a freezing cold river. Your twig and berries will never forgive you :)***

N¡ck
04-30-2021, 08:15 AM
Only made in usa Simms are worth it. The other ones, you pay for name only. Redington are good for mid price.
If you buy breathable wader and bush wack lots get some uv flex like solarez and a uv light. Takes about 10 seconds to fix small pin holes and the fix lasts a long time.

BRvalley
04-30-2021, 08:51 AM
everything leaks sooner or later, if you're doing a longer trip would be a good idea to bring the UV glue for quick repairs....aqua seal is a better patch imo, but takes longer to cure, you can add the accelerator but still not as quick as the UV glues

Arctic Lake
04-30-2021, 09:15 AM
Are you fellas talking chest waders or hip waders ?
Arctic Lake

sako79
04-30-2021, 10:16 AM
Are you fellas talking chest waders or hip waders ?
Arctic Lake

Either or. Never owned any

whitlers
04-30-2021, 10:33 AM
Either or. Never owned any

Are you looking for a packable set you can carry in your pack or something heavier and bulkier that your not gonna carry hiking? Are you guys hiking out of a lake and just want to cross streams or are you expecting to be wadding in swamps and hunting along the lake?

Arctic Lake
04-30-2021, 10:42 AM
I have a pair of old hip waders I think they were called Trout Kings they were rubber , tough as nails , good for moose hunting in swampy terrain ,but heavy and sweaty . They are still in the garage but are starting to rot .
Arctic Lake

adriaticum
04-30-2021, 10:54 AM
There a questions you need to ask yourself before you ask for what brand of waders.
How are you going to use them?
How often?

You might be better off just buying rubber waders with booties if you are just using them for hunting or odd fishing trip.
You need good breathable waders only if you plan on fishing rivers regularly.
Otherwise rubber ones, or neoprenes would do.

HikerHunter
04-30-2021, 04:34 PM
no matter what make sure the boots fit nice and dont rub on your heels!

Bugle M In
05-04-2021, 04:55 PM
As said, depends on the use and length of time.
Just crossing the odd river, then rubber booted waders.

Fishing in river all day, then Simms.

Neoprene is my choice for belly boat.
Pain in the ass to take on and off, but way way warmer when sitting "in water all day".
An older pair of Bare on Craigslist can sometimes be found, but get the older brand, the newer ones weren't made here and suck.

One thing, if crossing a river in any wader where it gets deep or really fast moving, where a "belt"!!
And remember, you may cross a river in the a.m., and it may be knee deep, but in the evening after a warm day and possible
snow melt, it can be way deeper!!, so careful always.