PDA

View Full Version : Bear derby 2021!

RyoTHC
04-28-2021, 08:24 AM
UPDATE MAY6;

Firstly, I apologize about the delay and I’m happy there was no submissions prior, though I wouldn’t be surprised to get the majority of them at the end of June.

it took me a little longer than anticipated to get in touch with everyone and figure out the logistics as well as hear other members concerns and adjust accordingly.

There are a couple big changes so please everyone re read the main body of the thread again.
Most importantly... enjoy the sunshine and have a safe hunt, fill that family freezer with the best burgers around!

Only one submission per member so please pick your category appropriately.

Please read carefully

Let me start by saying thanks to;

Great North Precision- for matching my first prize $200 GC
Walks with Deer- for ALSO matching my first prize $200 GC
RockSteady for offering to beetle clean the winning youth submissions skull.
Hugh Man- for an additional $100 gift card
Moosinaround- for a beauty Damascus skinning knife

I am still in communications with a couple more members working on locking down details on a couple more interesting prizes, so keep an eye out as season progresses.

With that being said, what started as a fun little instigation to get people out of the house and outdoors, has grown into quite a bit more...

I am going to do my best to get up a picture tomorrow night, albeit with an old dry skull.. but it’ll still show the way we feel will be the most accurate and easy to achieve.

Currently available for submissions:

2 Open (Youth or adult) prizes for largest skull -
#1 $300 Great north precision gift card
#2 100$ Great north precision gift card
1 Open ( Youth or adult) prize for longest bear -
#1 $200 Great north precision gift card
1 Open (Youth or adult) prize for fattest spring bear-
#1 $100Great north precision gift card

1 Youth(10-17) prize for largest skull-
#1Skull cleaning(beetles) and a Damascus skinning knife.
1 Youth(10-17) prize for longest bear-
#1$100 gift card to Nechako Outdoors.

Now also keep in mind that these prizes could potentially increase as members ive been in contact with get back to me, but this will be the base line.

I will stop taking entires via this thread July 10 2021.
Prizes will be sent via Email or mailed by July 15 2021.

Now, bear with me here.. (haha)

I am feeling like a lot of people here are going stir crazy with covid.. and could use the fresh air of a spring bear hunt.

So I propose we have a little fun competition to see who can find the biggest boar this season.
(If this isn’t permitted feel free to delete)

I know we aren’t professionals but with pictures I think we will be able to judge just fine..we will use GREEN(cleaned but no drying time) skull measurements as to ensure it’s this years bear, pictures must be taken with a ruler/tape beside the skull squared off with another ruler/tape and a bic lighter for size reference.

Now let me start by asking everyone, please be honest and keep the integrity of this, as it’s far more likely to happen again in the future if everyone has fun and no one feels cheated, and the additional prizes are much above and beyond what I originally intended so let’s show our appreciation and be respectful!

That is why the decision was made to have additional prizes rather than increasing the prize value, we aren’t trying to motivate someone to get out there just to win a prize, we are encouraging new and old hunters to get back in the field after what feels like an eternity and get your family some of the best meat BC has to offer, and ALSO have a chance to win a little something to take the pressure off your wallet because we all know everyone has something hunting related on their fall wish list!

To enter you must; and this will be followed STRICTLY.

Post a reply to this thread inc picture of your bear as it lays with the cut bear tag. (No we won’t know your honey hole from your region, you can cover your private info ofc)

A brief story about the hunt and method of harvest used, the date of the hunt and time of day approximately.
And
A picture of the skull removed and cleaned with a ruler/tape beside it and squared off.
Or
A picture of the deepest fat on the bear with something common used for scale if you don’t have a ruler or tape available (think banana)
Or
An as it lay picture depicting how fat your bear is. (Judges discretion, if even judges can’t agree we will go to draw)
Or
An as it lay picture of the bear flat, being measured from tip of tail to tip of nose

There will be THREE judges, and they will get final decision on all prizes that do not go to a draw, any draws winner will hopefully be selected by a GNP employee or another donator besides me.

*IMPORTANT*
For the skull measurements, we will be rounding up or down 1/2” to the nearest inch, as originally stated this is not an exact science, but for fun, unless we have a CLEAR winner, any close entries will go to a draw for fairness.
Cut tag must be included with all submissions to verify legality of hunt and age of hunter.

Since we want to keep this classy for the prying eyes:

Please remove all neck meat and clean! the skull, unfortunately this is a step I hoped to avoid for simplicity but to heed members concerns, I don’t believe we should be posting raw skulls. Please boil or in some way clean your skull prior to submission, removing eyes etc.

We will extend the deadlines for everything by 1 week in lieu of this, and we have added additional categories for members who are unable to do this, so they can still participate fairly.

***Judges reserve the right to disqualify any entry they deem unfit including but not limited to doctored photos, an attempt to increase measurements by any means or distasteful pictures, do these beautiful animals justice, do not post anything with excess gore to this derby***

If you feel like you’re picture may cross this line but you must use it for your submission please email it and we will discuss alternative methods for transparency and fairness.

Who will be the judge is yet to be determined, assuming the donators have no issues we will choose active forum members the prize for the bears are subject to change (improve) if anyone else feels like pitching in and motivating some fellow hunters to get out and de stress and fill their freezers with delicious organic meat.

Now keep in mind this is just fun, so no stress! But if it encourages even one new bear hunter(ironic pun intended) or one group to fill a second tag.. well it’s a win for everyone, delicious bear meat, a chance to win a prize and a couple less calves and fawns will meet an early demise.

If this goes over well and everyone has fun I will likely do this again in the fall.
Heaviest grouse and longest brow tine on a deer.

Disclaimer**. If we have less than 10 entries across the board, all names will go into a draw and prizes will be drawn in order posted by judges or prize donators (besides OP) this is both for fun and to motivate more people so encourage your friends to get out and tag some bears before calling and fawning season then they can make an account and post here, new and old members included.

If we get 0 submissions for a specific draw, all members who entered any draw will also have their name put into a draw for that prize/s.

New member must post an introductory post prior to submission.

*edit*. A lot more interested than anticipated, which is great! I will be overhauling this post tonight for clarity and to update the information regarding prizes as there are many generous folks around here it seems !

Moose63
04-28-2021, 08:28 AM
RyoTHC, you are so generous. Thanks!

I'd swap the gift card for your book, then I'm in!

RackStar
04-28-2021, 08:34 AM
Cool idea... good on ya man.

tinhorse
04-28-2021, 08:49 AM
I plan on taking a bear this spring for the first time ever...I was planning on a smaller/medium bear that would not give me more meat than needed but I guess I can always make a little extra pepperoni. Luckily the island has a few big boys kicking around usually. Good luck this spring

joshbazz
04-28-2021, 08:49 AM
Awesome RyoTHC, challenge accepted! Though I'm a long shot as I've still to bag my first big game! Would be cool if the first was a big ole bruin. Going to try to get out next week during the day, hopefully less pressure.

Cheers!
Josh

rocksteady
04-28-2021, 09:50 AM
Now you have stooped to body shaming bears??? As Greta says "HOW DARE YOU!!"

VI Blacktails
04-28-2021, 09:52 AM
awesome my son and I are headed out this weekend to look for a big rug .Hopefully we will have a entry on monday

whitlers
04-28-2021, 01:06 PM
Great idea! Looking forward to it.

Blacktail1
04-28-2021, 01:11 PM
Awesome idea and very generous of you. Taking my 13 and 6 year old out this weekend to try out the old wall tent .

RyoTHC
04-28-2021, 01:20 PM
Awesome RyoTHC, challenge accepted! Though I'm a long shot as I've still to bag my first big game! Would be cool if the first was a big ole bruin. Going to try to get out next week during the day, hopefully less pressure.

Cheers!
Josh

PM me, I can likely help.. trucks in the shop getting ready for bears, should it back tomorrow and be ready for Friday !

puddlejumper
04-28-2021, 01:26 PM
Now, bear with me here.. (haha)

I am feeling like a lot of people here are going stir crazy with covid.. and could use the fresh air of a spring bear hunt.

So I propose we have a little fun competition to see who can find the biggest boar this season.
(If this isn’t permitted feel free to delete)

I know we aren’t professionals but with pictures I think we will be able to judge just fine..we will use GREEN skull measurements as to ensure it’s this years bear, pictures must be taken with a ruler beside the skull squared off for scale.

There will also be a second category for fattest spring bear, pictures of depth of fat and just general rolly polley condition of the bear will be used to judge. No science here.

I am personally going to put up a prize of a $200 gift card from Great North Precision in Kelowna, great store and this is a good excuse to support them, this will be for the largest skull.

The prize for the fattest bear will be $100 to a undetermined hunting store(will update)
I will stop taking entires via this thread July 4th 2021.
Prizes will be sent via Email or mailed by July 10.

To enter you must;
Post a reply to this thread inc picture of your bear as it lays.
A brief story about the hunt and method of harvest used, if a rifle was used caliber and bullet.
A picture of the skull removed with a ruler beside it squared off.
Or
A picture of the deepest fat on the bear with something common used for scale (think banana)

Who will be the judge is yet to be determined, the prize for the bears are subject to change (improve) if anyone else feels like pitching in and motivating some fellow hunters to get out and de stress and fill their freezers with delicious organic meat.

Now keep in mind this is just fun, so no stress! But if it encourages even one new bear hunter or one group to fill a second tag.. well it’s a win for everyone, delicious bear meat, a chance to win a prize and a couple less calves and fawns will meet an early demise.

If this goes over well and everyone has fun I will likely do this again in the fall.
Heaviest grouse and longest brow tine on a deer.

Disclaimer**. Will not run the competition if there is less than 10 entries,this is both for fun and to motivate more people so encourage your friends to get out and tag some bears before calling and fawning season then they can make an account and post here, new and old members included.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?151070-B-C-Interior-hunting-groups-under-fire-for-%91wolf-whacking%92-contests&highlight=wolf+derby

RyoTHC
04-28-2021, 01:57 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?151070-B-C-Interior-hunting-groups-under-fire-for-%91wolf-whacking%92-contests&highlight=wolf+derby

people have a problem with wolf hunting period, it’s “trophy” hunting because the wolf doesn’t get eaten.
why is a fishing derby OK? Fish deserve to die? lol
I could care less if some snowflake gets offended with legal hunts and it only motivates me more to encourage new hunters to go shoot bears.

might have to up the prizes if it bothers anyone lol

moosinaround
04-28-2021, 01:58 PM
I like the bear derby's! I will participate! Thank you, Moosin

marcus44
04-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Awesome post, nice to see more comradery here. Adding a bit of a contest seems fun too. I am definitely going to be trying for a bear myself.

marcus44
04-28-2021, 02:05 PM

This post is no different then a fishing derby. Bringing the tree huggers into here is useless

Ride Red
04-28-2021, 02:06 PM
people have a problem with wolf hunting period, it’s “trophy” hunting because the wolf doesn’t get eaten.
I could care less if some snowflake gets offended with legal hunts and it only motivates me more to encourage new hunters to go shoot bears.

Well I did post this over to the wolf thread to see the reaction. I personally don’t care what we hunt that’s legal and that pics/stories get posted for everyone to view. IMO, we need to be out there more instead of hiding behind doors as we should be proud of what we do legally.

I don’t always agree with you Ryan, but good on you for starting this and creating incentive for everyone to engage in what we love to do. Great job!!!

puddlejumper
04-28-2021, 02:11 PM

Apologies, I assumed that most people may recall the negative press that resulted from the wolf derbies, and with the increasing issues surrounding predator hunting, that includes black bear I just wanted to point out as was pointed out a number of times in the wolf thread that this might attract negative communications. I don't disagree with the intent of your thread just flagging potential issues.

RyoTHC
04-28-2021, 02:13 PM
Apologies, I assumed that most people may recall the negative press that resulted from the wolf derbies, and with the increasing issues surrounding predator hunting, that includes black bear I just wanted to point out as was pointed out a number of times in the wolf thread that this might attract negative communications. I don't disagree with the intent of your thread just flagging potential issues.

fair point, I respect that and am hopeful that you are incorrect this time.
Time will tell.

finngun
04-28-2021, 02:31 PM
If pooh bear hear about that,,,they all try to looks as skinny as possible..��

walks with deer
04-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Ryothc i sent you a email..

walks with deer
04-28-2021, 03:17 PM
I will throw in a 200dollar gift card for great north prescion aswell best store ever...

J_T
04-28-2021, 03:17 PM
As a condition of participation, does one require a Covid Vaccination? :cool:

As others have said here, keep it off social media and have fun.

walks with deer
04-28-2021, 03:20 PM
Mine will be for coolest looking bear of colours... white chest stars,browns,reds,blondes whatever

Great North Precision
04-28-2021, 03:30 PM
Hey RyoTHC,
We just wanted to say "good on ya" for this post and would like to match your first place prize!
When you draw a winner for this Bear Derby 2021 competition please inform us at the same time and we will happily donate a $200 gift card too.

Hope this is all good with everyone. Thanks and good luck everybody!

Moose63
04-28-2021, 03:44 PM
Hey RyoTHC,
We just wanted to say "good on ya" for this post and would like to match your first place prize!
When you draw a winner for this Bear Derby 2021 competition please inform us at the same time and we will happily donate a $200 gift card too.

Hope this is all good with everyone. Thanks and good luck everybody!

Holy Crap! Now the bounty is now to $600 (gift certificates from RyoTHC, Walks with Deer, and GNP)

moosinaround
04-28-2021, 03:48 PM
This site rocks!!!

walks with deer
04-28-2021, 04:11 PM
Just saw my first bear of the spring...5mins ago

Hugh Mann
04-28-2021, 04:59 PM
Got a great pot going here courtesy of some great folks (and business).

Can definitely count on my bears showing up here.

jlirot
04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
I'm in! Probably won't be able to get out for another 2 weeks - but I'm in. Very cool idea Ryo

RyoTHC
04-28-2021, 08:06 PM
Alright guys, this definitely was much more well received than anticipated, and I couldn’t be happier!

to everyone that has messaged me with offers, I’ll get back to you ASAP and your generosity is greatly appreciated.. but now that everyone’s been so generous, that means that I’ll have to take this more seriously so no one ends up upset in the end!

So, with that being said.. hold tight, I’ll be updating the original post either late tonight or tomorrow afternoon with the updated prize pool... which has ballooned nicely.. along with some more detailed specifications on how we will run this to keep it fair for everyone, I’ve had several members message me with concerns and suggestions so I’m going to take heed to it all and get the ball rolling!

I’ll be in touch with those that have reached out, I’ve read all the messages and am just trying to get this organized and laid out clearly so the fun can begin!

it looks like at this point we will also be adding a youth draw, unspecified currently but that will be laid out in the original post once it’s updated.

HarryToolips
04-28-2021, 09:18 PM
I'm in..... great idea RyoTHC...

walks with deer
04-28-2021, 10:20 PM
RyoTHC
Good idea the you comp by weatherby fan forced me to love this shit..

RyoTHC
04-28-2021, 10:29 PM
Awesome idea and very generous of you. Taking my 13 and 6 year old out this weekend to try out the old wall tent .

thanks to some more generous forum members, there will be a youth prize or two as well.. 10-17yo.

stay tuned ! Hoping to have all the details and kinks worked out well prior to the weekend, anyone who takes a bear in the mean time don’t hesitate to enter, just know that things may change prize wise.

leadpillproductions
04-28-2021, 11:12 PM
I'm in right on. Love a good contest challenge excepted

elimsprint
04-29-2021, 08:54 AM
Damn, I wish I hunted bears as I saw the winner yesterday morning, what a brute.

huntcoop
04-29-2021, 09:49 AM
Damn, I wish I hunted bears as I saw the winner yesterday morning, what a brute.

"I wish I hunted bears..."

WTF? go kill some or they'll eat all your fawns!

elimsprint
04-29-2021, 11:48 AM
"I wish I hunted bears..."

WTF? go kill some or they'll eat all your fawns!

The wife won't eat bear meat and I'm not exactly wild about it other than in sausage so I just don't see hunting one. That said I sure am seeing a lot of them this year. I do murder every coyote I see on my walks, over 200 in the last 15 years within walking distance of my house, so I think I'm helping a lot of fawns survive, lol.

Golddust
04-29-2021, 03:16 PM
Heaviest grouse

Hahaha

awesome post and I think it will add alot of fun for everyone from the participants ot the bystanders!

Ride Red
04-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Bear is great meat from sausage, pepperoni to spiral cut smoked hams. Just don’t wack one near a garbage dump.

Maxwell
04-29-2021, 08:51 PM
I would love to participate. Admittedly, my hunting partner has not field dressed bear and I have not hunted before. We really need an experienced hunter. Our rifles are sighted, PALS certified, we have bear tags, and we have a truck along with necessary equipment. My buddies friend lacks communication skills, so we had to cancel Harrison this week, which disappointed me extremely.
We would like to go May 14-16 and/or May Long and take an extra weekday off either of those weekends.
Gas on us and we would discount your butcher portion.
Please let me know ASAP. Feel free to DM for more questions and info. I can attach my sighted shots at 100 yards.
I am totally sincere. Thank-you

RyoTHC
04-29-2021, 08:57 PM
I would love to participate. Admittedly, my hunting partner has not field dressed bear and I have not hunted before. We really need an experienced hunter. Our rifles are sighted, PALS certified, we have bear tags, and we have a truck along with necessary equipment. My buddies friend lacks communication skills, so we had to cancel Harrison this week, which disappointed me extremely.
We would like to go May 14-16 and/or May Long and take an extra weekday off either of those weekends.
Please let me know ASAP. Feel free to DM for more questions and info. I can attach my sighted shots at 100 yards.

mentioning where you’re located might garner you some additional help, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the lower mainland

walks with deer
04-29-2021, 09:08 PM

I have shot alot of bears down there..its actually feild dress like a deer common sense man dont pop sacks..ypur welcome to come up this way and shoot then call me i will do no problem...but use common sense its not that scary..i can clean a bear in 6min and skin in 15...just packing him solo is the shits.

Maxwell
04-30-2021, 01:19 PM
You guess correctly. Sorry, I assumed 'Harrison' suggested that. It would be within coastal/lower mainland region

RyoTHC
04-30-2021, 10:31 PM
UPDATE;

Alright guys, pleasantly surprised with how well received this has been both for people interested in participating and those who are generous enough to want to contribute!

so let me start by saying thanks to
Great North Precision- for matching my first prize $200 GC
Walks with Deer- for ALSO matching my first prize $200 GC
Hugh Man- for an additional $100 gift card

I am still in communications with a couple more members working on locking down details on a couple more interesting prizes, including two for youth hunters 10-17, once I have the logistics of these ironed out I will update with that as well.

with that being said, what started as a fun little instigation to get people out of the house and outdoors, has grown into quite a bit more..
I had several members message me with concerns most of which I thought were valid, so I have inquired with a few of the long-standing members here to get their input on the most fair way to accurately judge the entries for consistency and fairness, just know if you enter a submission in the next day or two (currently Friday night) then some details may be subject to change, from my discussions so far it looks like rounding to the nearest (undetermined amount) and if there are any ties, then do a draw and have someone uninvolved draw on video for transparency. Obviously if there is a stand out winner, this will not need to be done but I believe it is the most fair way to do this without having one person measure each skull which isn’t possible.

I am going to do my best to get up a picture tomorrow night, albeit with an old dry skull.. but it’ll still show the way we feel will be the most accurate and easy to achieve for everyone.

that being said, currently we are looking at;

3 adult prizes for largest skull
1 adult prize for fattest bear

1 youth prize for fattest bear.
1 youth prize for largest skull.

I am going to give the members I reached out to both for prizes and council until Sunday AM, at which point I will edit the thread again with the final prizes and conditions and they won’t change again from then on, anyone that gets a bear prior if you can freeze the skull until then great, if not send me an email and I walk you through what we are thinking.

Walking Buffalo
05-01-2021, 08:37 AM
Another way to approach this is to not give prizes for the largest whatever....
Use the hidden weight/measurement prize system.

Give out more prizes of lesser value.
Less incentive to cheat and more winners.

This will eliminate much of the ugly stuff than competitions often attract.

RyoTHC
05-01-2021, 10:48 PM
First hunt of the year today, found 3 bears and plenty of sign.. now is not the time to hesitate, the big boys waiting for one of ya!

Walking Buffalo, you make a good point as well.. I appreciate all the input I’m getting just as much as the generosity.. if this goes well, it may just be an annual thing.

whitlers
05-01-2021, 10:49 PM
Was onto a winner today. Spotted him 1600m off from our glassing perch. He was walking a new logging road. It looked like he was going to continue down to the valley floor so we tried to cut him off but he must have had other plans. One of the largest black bears I have seen in the area. Dark chocolate brown with a light tan nose. Stud of a bear.

Things are still pretty brown in that spot and he was the only bear spotted today. Might try and go back tomorrow or next week.

Sad604Man
05-03-2021, 07:19 PM
Good luck everyone, and have fun.

Please for the love of god keep the grip and grins off facebook and instagram. The provincial anti hunting lobby has been gaining significant momentum recently with this 'social license to hunt' bullshit and if they caught wind of this friendly competition there will be hell to pay. We as hunters can bitch and moan about these anti's as much as we like, and the fact that this hunt is perfectly legal and within our rights, but thats only for now. Theres no telling how the media would portray this bounty hunt on black bears in this day and age, and people in the big shitty are the ones who own a significant amount of political capital. I hope everyone can be discrete and respectful towards our future hunting rights.

RyoTHC
05-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Firstly, I’ll completely agree with the last post.. please leave all submissions to this, off of any social media aside from this forum.. what we are doing is completely legal and ethical but bloody grip and grind on facebook do none of us justice.

Now onto the good stuff.... please read the original post in its entirety again as lord has changed due to members input and suggestions.

Currently available for submissions:

2 Open (Youth or adult) prizes for largest skull -
#1 $300 Great north precision gift card
#2 100$ Great north precision gift card
1 Open ( Youth or adult) prize for longest bear -
#1 $200 Great north precision gift card
1 Open (Youth or adult) prize for fattest spring bear-
#1 $100Great north precision gift card

1 Youth(10-17) prize for largest skull-
#1Skull cleaning(beetles) and a Damascus skinning knife.
1 Youth(10-17) prize for longest bear-
#1$100 gift card to Nechako Outdoors.

Now also keep in mind that these prizes could potentially increase as members ive been in contact with get back to me, but this will be the base line.

I will stop taking entires via this thread July 10 2021.
Prizes will be sent via Email or mailed by July 15 2021.

RyoTHC
05-07-2021, 10:01 AM
Judges have been confirmed as well,

we will have the following;

1)IronNog
2) Srupp
3)Foxtonn gundogs

I appreciate that they have agreed to help, and hopefully utilizing long term upstanding members that their decisions on winners won’t be questioned or seconded guessed.

moosinaround
05-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Good judges, let’s have some fun folks!!! Moosin

walks with deer
05-11-2021, 08:12 PM
We have a entry..

RyoTHC
05-11-2021, 09:57 PM
We have a entry..

Here I was thinking that everyone was as terrible of a hunter as I am this season aha

anxiously awaiting the first submission! Hopefully will be taking a few members out over the next few weeks to get a bear of their own.

45freezer
05-12-2021, 08:15 AM
No archery category? ;)

Just playin, who doesn't like an extra bit of challenge. Almost kicked things off with a decent jet black boar Friday evening but the wind switched on me before closing the last 5 yards. Looks like a late spring in my area so still plenty of time to get after it, best of luck to everybody out there this spring!

RyoTHC
05-12-2021, 09:10 AM
No archery category? ;)

Just playin, who doesn't like an extra bit of challenge. Almost kicked things off with a decent jet black boar Friday evening but the wind switched on me before closing the last 5 yards. Looks like a late spring in my area so still plenty of time to get after it, best of luck to everybody out there this spring!

you know, that would have been a good idea.. completely forgot some folks are crazy enough to stick and arrow bears :D. Noted for next seasons derby !! Assuming we get at least 10 entries accumulative, this will be an annual event.. on my behalf at least, I can’t speak for anyone else who donated.

walks with deer
05-12-2021, 01:36 PM
45freezer your a bear assasin with the bow.you will get him.

RyoTHC
05-12-2021, 08:25 PM
Had a nice stalk up to 10-15 yards tonight, had a sizeable bear broadside.. turned away from me and realized it didn’t have any danglies.. so off she went into the woods to eat another day.

walks with deer
05-13-2021, 06:56 AM
Its still early..

RackStar
05-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Heading to my big boar spot this weekend, hoping for a 5 footer

walks with deer
05-13-2021, 01:19 PM
Region 3-27
Weapon used model 70 sportster laminate blued with meopta scope. 250 grain nosler accoubond with 72 grains reloader 19 cci magnum primers.

Was resting a pulled back nerve went for a walk saw a huge boar scratching his back on a fir tree.. ran past my 30-06 and had to unlock 338..

Walked to 250yds of bear laid down put cross hairs on neck bone and squeezed dead on impact..

Wife fired up tractor hung and skinned in barn..then butchered a hour later..havent finished skinning head or measured head but mature boar.

walks with deer
05-13-2021, 01:21 PM
Fawn hoof stuck in ass when i was detailing it we lost the first fawn born in the yard this year..but got the culprit.

srupp
05-13-2021, 08:01 PM
Walks with deer clear your in basket too
Steven Rupp

HarryToolips
05-13-2021, 08:28 PM
No archery category? ;)

Not a bad idea at all, I'm going to be trying at times with my recurve...

HarryToolips
05-13-2021, 08:30 PM
Region 3-27
Weapon used model 70 sportster laminate blued with meopta scope. 250 grain nosler accoubond with 72 grains reloader 19 cci magnum primers.

Was resting a pulled back nerve went for a walk saw a huge boar scratching his back on a fir tree.. ran past my 30-06 and had to unlock 338..

Walked to 250yds of bear laid down put cross hairs on neck bone and squeezed dead on impact..

Wife fired up tractor hung and skinned in barn..then butchered a hour later..havent finished skinning head or measured head but mature boar.
Look forward to pics...

walks with deer
05-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Yes sir steven you havr my cell to..

Blacktail1
05-16-2021, 08:45 AM
Here’s an entry for derby . https://i.postimg.cc/3RGbRYSR/C2-C248-D1-97-D2-4-CD4-82-E8-113678-FAB28-C.jpg (https://postimg.cc/G8cjgw1w)

LBM
05-16-2021, 12:32 PM
Here’s an entry for derby . https://i.postimg.cc/3RGbRYSR/C2-C248-D1-97-D2-4-CD4-82-E8-113678-FAB28-C.jpg (https://postimg.cc/G8cjgw1w)

If that belongs to the young fellow Congrats to him looks like a great bear.

montec assassin
05-16-2021, 05:30 PM
Looks like a dandy for sure! I’d be proud to have pulled that trigger. I’ve been working hard this season but have yet to have laid eyes on a bear. Congrats on your success!
montec

45freezer
05-17-2021, 08:42 AM
45freezer your a bear assasin with the bow.you will get him.

Well if the pressure wasn't on before it sure is now! Be back out there this weekend :wink:

Congrats to the youngster, that's a nice bear whether you've been hunting 1 year or 20.

walks with deer
05-17-2021, 05:41 PM
Saw another big boar today left him alone was just going about my daily routine.

madcalfe
05-18-2021, 06:15 PM
I got a really nice cinnamon boar this year. Not a tank, average size but really light brown hide I’d post up some pics but still don’t know how on here jk figured it out.

https://i.imgur.com/8LAmGnC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s41tBX5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h1VG6Kf.jpg

Blacktail1
05-18-2021, 06:35 PM
Very cool bear ! Nice work

caddisguy
05-18-2021, 09:20 PM
That pack photo looks awesome.

Nice looking bear. Congrats!

LBM
05-19-2021, 05:13 AM
I got a really nice cinnamon boar this year. Not a tank, average size but really light brown hide I’d post up some pics but still don’t know how on here jk figured it out.

https://i.imgur.com/8LAmGnC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s41tBX5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h1VG6Kf.jpg

Beautiful colored bear, and quit the pack job., cant see any of the straps going around the bear, they around the neck and hips.

Harvest the Land
05-19-2021, 05:36 AM
Excellent work and love the pack job - that's hardcore

HarryToolips
05-19-2021, 06:34 AM
Wow awesome job madcalfe!

madcalfe
05-19-2021, 08:19 AM
That’s the 2nd spring bear packed Out like that, just hook the compression straps under his arm pits and away you go

https://i.imgur.com/dDvEGPQ.jpg

Ride Red
05-19-2021, 08:21 AM
Nice bear Madcalfe; great colour!!!

walks with deer
05-19-2021, 08:46 AM
That’s the 2nd spring bear packed Out like that, just hook the compression straps under his arm pits and away you go

https://i.imgur.com/dDvEGPQ.jpg

I dont know if your tough or ******ed...but want to go elk hunting...lol

madcalfe
05-19-2021, 08:52 AM
hahaha only 73 more days till sheep hunting

walks with deer
05-19-2021, 09:03 AM
Hell ya!!!..good training for sure just dont hurt yourself...i used to do stuff like that until i pinched a nerve in my back not fun..

RyoTHC
05-19-2021, 10:14 AM
Glad to see this thread starting to take off !

I am out hunting until Tuesday still, being put to shame by all the folks here ! But those of you that have messaged me or posted an entry, I will get ahold of you Tuesday afternoon to discuss !

those of you that take your bear to a taxidermist, if the taxidermists takes the pictures/measurements and can include something authenticating his/her measurements then we will accept that as an entry as well as I know some people have no desire to flesh a bear skull themselves or maybe they got a trophy and want a mount done as well as the delicious meat !

some beautiful bears posted here so far, my mouth is watering thinking about this seasons batch of cheddar cheese smokies...!

walks with deer
05-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Be safe and good luck!!!

Rob Chipman
05-19-2021, 11:12 AM
So....I've got a pic of me with a moose leg thrown over my shoulder, but I never thought of getting a pic with a bear strapped to my back. You guys are going to love those pics for years to come and I'm going to have to get one myself!

Both are nice bears, too, but I have to confess: a cinnamon like that would look good on the floor beside my bed :-)

warnniklz
05-19-2021, 11:42 AM
Black and white are an easy way to avoid "gore"... would a black and white be considered a doctored photo?

madcalfe
05-19-2021, 12:08 PM
So....I've got a pic of me with a moose leg thrown over my shoulder, but I never thought of getting a pic with a bear strapped to my back. You guys are going to love those pics for years to come and I'm going to have to get one myself!

Both are nice bears, too, but I have to confess: a cinnamon like that would look good on the floor beside my bed :-)

yea I want to get a rug made out of him, out of probably 10+ bears I’ve shot this was the only one to be skinned properly and put in the freezer. Just having a hard time finding a taxidermist. Everyone I’ve called is either retired or booked for awhile.

RyoTHC
06-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Let’s bump this up front and centre, some people are getting bears and not realizing this is here !

got one of two of my bears for the season, waiting on a fall berry bear for the other.. let the submissions roll in!

Blacktail1
06-03-2021, 09:51 PM
Ok so here we go lots to digest on this for entry
1) short story
2 ) as it lays
3) how fat
4) skull pics cleaned
5)tag
ill give it a whirl..
im posting this on behalf of my 13 year old son “grader1”
Grader decided this year he wanted to try to harvest a black bear . Since his birthday was just around the corner the wife and I decided that every young man who hunts should have his own rifle ... so I looked around and managed to find a beautiful husky 270 . Birthday in the books we had a plan to camp out and go get a bear . Turns out we went camping in monsoon season
https://i.postimg.cc/pX9J66X3/A07-E11-D7-4-A2-D-4-F91-BF60-1-B73-AE48-EA3-C.jpg (https://postimg.cc/RNBt3GtT)photos upload free (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/c1fntGCx/96-D84-A93-EBAC-490-E-9488-3-B34-E1-ADFE56.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MXKTg41N)
although it was a wet trip in a tent it was still good fun . We only spotted 3 bears one was a shooter for sir but with no boat it just couldn’t happen .. fast forward to Wednesday may 12 . After work I suggest to the fact we should go for a drive after dinner to “ my honey hole” well not actually but still went for a drive. We pulled over up high in blue berry territory and had a good glass ... when I was glassing I spotted a bear .. wow he looks like a big bear ! He’s probably 3/4 of a mile away . We assessed the roads and area he was in and decided to try our luck , problem turned out that where he was was steep and very broken ground so once we got to within the area We thought he was it just didn’t pan out .... moving to Friday the 14th we decided we need to try to find this bear so we put a plan together and headed out. It could not have worked out better . We were in his area right around 7:45 pm and guess who is out feeding. I get grader set up only problem is the sun is setting at 11:00 and grader can’t see a thing through his scope. I assure the young fella the bear is just feeding just calm down and wait for you’re chance! As soon as that left my mouth ...up snaps the bears head he winded us off he goes ! Uh oh! He was at 88 yards when he winded us at that point I moved my middle aged man boobs in a manner to shade the sun at the point the bear was at 153 yards when he stopped. Grader squeezes of a round and the bear bites at his shoulder then stumbled and rolled over ... success !! Grader was just thrilled his bulllet was nearly dead Center in the bores heart.
https://i.postimg.cc/vZcrPcSb/0-D70-BF32-1-F20-40-FE-80-C1-9-F7-DDB408809.jpg (https://postimg.cc/w1YRMTpG)
https://i.postimg.cc/VNXbTM9Q/A5-DD5-DDE-32-EF-4731-A9-AD-AE2722-BCCFA1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/WDb3qdfX)
https://i.postimg.cc/76M0C7bM/4-AFD4-E3-B-6451-48-C1-8-D8-C-8-DCDAE195-B9-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/TL1pFKVp)

now for the cleaned skull
Craig stolle oficially green scored him at 19” on the button

Blacktail1
06-03-2021, 09:56 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/x8QmTkxr/72-C436-C9-6-D2-F-4125-A4-B0-AD9-AF42-BACDE.jpg (https://postimg.cc/tZrJBgGD)
https://i.postimg.cc/7LTJ31j8/7-D6-CD969-30-E4-4-CE6-9109-513-C648-FD130.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3yYw7GKn)
https://i.postimg.cc/d3nhs5Zd/E92993-BC-7-BDB-4002-AE95-6-FB265-C70527.jpg (https://postimg.cc/q6hJQXLM)
https://i.postimg.cc/g2hG4McD/F5-A4-A14-A-4-B7-E-40-A0-A825-FEF05335-F9-D0.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ZWTk5xdB)
thats grader1”s entry for bear derby 2021 .. awesome idea everyone who is putting it on snd generous donators... good luck the rest of the season to all of our fellow hunters.!!! BT1

moosinaround
06-03-2021, 10:43 PM
That boar was a scrapper!! Nice scars on his noggin!! congrats you guys, beauty bruin!! Moosin

HarryToolips
06-04-2021, 12:55 PM
∆∆∆∆well done congrats Grader!

browningboy
06-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Ok so here we go lots to digest on this for entry
1) short story
2 ) as it lays
3) how fat
4) skull pics cleaned
5)tag
ill give it a whirl..
im posting this on behalf of my 13 year old son “grader1”
Grader decided this year he wanted to try to harvest a black bear . Since his birthday was just around the corner the wife and I decided that every young man who hunts should have his own rifle ... so I looked around and managed to find a beautiful husky 270 . Birthday in the books we had a plan to camp out and go get a bear . Turns out we went camping in monsoon season
https://i.postimg.cc/pX9J66X3/A07-E11-D7-4-A2-D-4-F91-BF60-1-B73-AE48-EA3-C.jpg (https://postimg.cc/RNBt3GtT)photos upload free (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/c1fntGCx/96-D84-A93-EBAC-490-E-9488-3-B34-E1-ADFE56.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MXKTg41N)
although it was a wet trip in a tent it was still good fun . We only spotted 3 bears one was a shooter for sir but with no boat it just couldn’t happen .. fast forward to Wednesday may 12 . After work I suggest to the fact we should go for a drive after dinner to “ my honey hole” well not actually but still went for a drive. We pulled over up high in blue berry territory and had a good glass ... when I was glassing I spotted a bear .. wow he looks like a big bear ! He’s probably 3/4 of a mile away . We assessed the roads and area he was in and decided to try our luck , problem turned out that where he was was steep and very broken ground so once we got to within the area We thought he was it just didn’t pan out .... moving to Friday the 14th we decided we need to try to find this bear so we put a plan together and headed out. It could not have worked out better . We were in his area right around 7:45 pm and guess who is out feeding. I get grader set up only problem is the sun is setting at 11:00 and grader can’t see a thing through his scope. I assure the young fella the bear is just feeding just calm down and wait for you’re chance! As soon as that left my mouth ...up snaps the bears head he winded us off he goes ! Uh oh! He was at 88 yards when he winded us at that point I moved my middle aged man boobs in a manner to shade the sun at the point the bear was at 153 yards when he stopped. Grader squeezes of a round and the bear bites at his shoulder then stumbled and rolled over ... success !! Grader was just thrilled his bulllet was nearly dead Center in the bores heart.
https://i.postimg.cc/vZcrPcSb/0-D70-BF32-1-F20-40-FE-80-C1-9-F7-DDB408809.jpg (https://postimg.cc/w1YRMTpG)
https://i.postimg.cc/VNXbTM9Q/A5-DD5-DDE-32-EF-4731-A9-AD-AE2722-BCCFA1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/WDb3qdfX)
https://i.postimg.cc/76M0C7bM/4-AFD4-E3-B-6451-48-C1-8-D8-C-8-DCDAE195-B9-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/TL1pFKVp)

now for the cleaned skull
Craig stolle oficially green scored him at 19” on the button

Thats a bruiser!!! Congrats!!!

walks with deer
06-04-2021, 06:45 PM
My bear head is frozen unskinned busy..as heck..
Everyone should post theres big or small.and see what happens.

warnniklz
06-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Not sure if this has everything you want/need. Just going to share. 4k quality is rendering still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NBEzotiXRQ

nelsonob1
06-05-2021, 04:03 PM
This mornings Bear hunt was interesting. Was watching one bear a 200yrds on ridge that was laying down watching us. Too far for a front shot and it wouldnt turn. I tried to circle it but the wind was wrong so gave up. When i got back to the boys the bear had not moved. I decide to setup and wait for a shot when all of a sudden this other bigger bear is 50 yards behind me grunting and puffing and goes up a tree. I shoot it and it falls down a ravine. Suddenly theres a tiny cub the size of a soccer ball wailing up the same tree and we are all like oh shit this sucks. We just killed mum. Theres a debate on what we do with the cub and decide to deal with mum and think about it. We get a rope on the bears foot as it is hanging over a steep drop and haul it up about ten feet, in the process in spins around and wholly it has two big balls. Its a boar that was trying to get the cub and the other bear was not watching us but watching the cub in the tree. That bear is mum. Suddenly everyone is happy and after 30 mins we dragged the bear out to a road, with mum still watching us.

IronNoggin
06-05-2021, 05:09 PM
... Its a boar that was trying to get the cub and the other bear was not watching us but watching the cub in the tree. That bear is mum. Suddenly everyone is happy and after 30 mins we dragged the bear out to a road, with mum still watching us.

Excellent outcome!
Bet mum was right happy with your performance!
Collect any pix??

Wondering...
Nog

srupp
06-05-2021, 05:39 PM
Hmm Warren..
Short pants..mosquitos dream
CrocKS footwear
Hardcollar..neck brace
Yup pretty much Cariboo redneck hunters
Pretty good impression of Kerry
Thanks for getting out there aND for sharing Warren
Goodluck with continued healing.
Srupp

Arctic Lake
06-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Madcalfe. Excellent !
Arctic Lake

Drillbit
06-05-2021, 11:38 PM
Youth Entry
Entering for my 12 year old.

Full story link
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?165305-Kids-Bear

Short version!
Took my kids out bear hunting. The 12 year old wanted to find a nice bear for his first bear. We saw lots of bears and were being selective. It was a nice sunny afternoon, and when we saw his bear, we knew it was a nice one right away.
We set up and watched it for awhile making sure it was what he wanted. Ranged at 339.
First shot hit it perfect, it ran around 20feet and piled up on some trees and died right there, as seen in all of the photos. Never even had to move it for the pictures!
The Kid was shooting a Browning Xbolt White Gold 223 with a Leupold MarkAR scope.

The skull is 11 3/4 long and 7 1/4 wide. So I guess 19?
Swizzle stick is exactly 6" haha
https://i.imgur.com/lYXSdFz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jWf25VV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FGAfcVS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AhfTlUU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Sf8R8xT.jpg

Drillbit
06-05-2021, 11:39 PM
cont

https://i.imgur.com/Rk80X8Y.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DmqS7kW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MwIidyl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/h4UMj61.jpg

Leveraction
06-06-2021, 09:05 AM
Very nice, the space between the ears is equal to the nose to ear dimension, at least from this view, definitely a shooter.

HarryToolips
06-06-2021, 09:12 AM
cont

https://i.imgur.com/Rk80X8Y.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DmqS7kW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MwIidyl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/h4UMj61.jpg
Well done congrats, and fantastic shooting for the young man considering the range!

warnniklz
06-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Hmm Warren..
Short pants..mosquitos dream
CrocKS footwear
Hardcollar..neck brace
Yup pretty much Cariboo redneck hunters
Pretty good impression of Kerry
Thanks for getting out there aND for sharing Warren
Goodluck with continued healing.
Srupp

Ran into some other guys on quads and told us we weren't in proper hunting attire... I had a camo shirt on! GOSH!

srupp
06-06-2021, 02:11 PM
Hmm IF only they knew the quality of hunters in that attire.you my friend are hardcore congrads again on the bear.
Steven

whitlers
06-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Not big enough to compete with the stud black bears above but this is my first color phase. Hopefully get the skull done this weekend.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2021_Spring_Bear.jpg

moosinaround
06-10-2021, 01:12 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/195125413_4332792243421319_6981912077300291028_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=T2Lrujg3ahEAX_qXGOJ&tn=c-PMhN1dzkJObB0Q&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=eec3874f1a7aa2a7e330e428e26a637e&oe=60E79E5A

The boy and I gotter dun sunday! His first kill with his Carpenter red seal present to himself, a 375 Ruger Guide Gun, and some 300gr accubonds I reloaded for him!! Gonna be some fine eats off this bugger!! His top canines were worn right off, or broken, not quite sure, but we figure this was an old bugger! His girlfriend was with us, and it was her first time watching and killing big game. She did awesome! Now it's my turn!! Moosin

Ron.C
06-10-2021, 01:21 PM
Not big enough to compete with the stud black bears above but this is my first color phase. Hopefully get the skull done this weekend.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2021_Spring_Bear.jpg

Thats a beauty!!!!!

walks with deer
06-15-2021, 05:16 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/195125413_4332792243421319_6981912077300291028_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=T2Lrujg3ahEAX_qXGOJ&tn=c-PMhN1dzkJObB0Q&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=eec3874f1a7aa2a7e330e428e26a637e&oe=60E79E5A

The boy and I gotter dun sunday! His first kill with his Carpenter red seal present to himself, a 375 Ruger Guide Gun, and some 300gr accubonds I reloaded for him!! Gonna be some fine eats off this bugger!! His top canines were worn right off, or broken, not quite sure, but we figure this was an old bugger! His girlfriend was with us, and it was her first time watching and killing big game. She did awesome! Now it's my turn!! Moosin

Nice gun congrats...power of thore there.

whitlers
06-16-2021, 08:28 AM
I am assuming the derby is over as the cut off date was July 10th? Just cleaned the skull from by bear above. Not as big as the two posted here but measured 10 13/16 long and 6 11/16 wide. No where near the two giants posted. Well done guys!

walks with deer
06-16-2021, 09:48 AM
Get your photos and proper post its still bear season we are in june...cuttoff is in july. Did you have some morning drinks??? Lol

whitlers
06-16-2021, 10:29 AM
Get your photos and proper post its still bear season we are in june...cuttoff is in july. Did you have some morning drinks??? Lol

Well I am an idiot hahaha. I thought it was weird that it would be done June 10th but I even wrote the correct date haha. Moron.

BrookTrout
06-19-2021, 10:53 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/f1b67b7c-5295-4c5c-bc0f-233c26f4bccc
Well, this was one of the slowest 7 days hunts I had ever been on, with the hot weather we could not find much for bears. Started out hoping to go backpacking, snow levels had stopped us. From covering lots of new country. This was the last night of the hunt, Had only seen 4 bears, including a sow and cub. The other two were small bears. We had a good lookout over cuts and a valley bottom and we had a last little walk we wanted to do to get some exercise and maybe find some sheds if we were lucky. At the point I hadn’t really cared if I shot a bear or not. 6:15 park the quads and start hiking through a spot we called the “green belt” 6:30 and half a km later we stumble upon this guy,40 yards, behind some thick pines, walks out on a trail it was following. Coming in a 45 degree direction towards us I take a couple steps closer to a tree, bear stops and bang! 15 yards through the lungs, spins, bear notices us and charges us. Put one right behind his head and drops at 5 yards.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/39ce8ad9-50bd-492f-83a1-1696c71c668b
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/58cff39c-7119-4e0c-997e-43e85c1afda0

BrookTrout
06-19-2021, 11:36 AM
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/brookcross/70DACA52-3A3B-46DD-8B97-37D4BD4004D9.jpeg?width=450&height=278&crop=fillhttps://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/brookcross/F3B8A0AC-324C-4D58-9306-AA4879452576.jpeg?width=450&height=278&crop=fillhttps://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/brookcross/AAA9FA3B-83EF-4227-A9A7-787B24C028BB.jpeg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

Blacktail1
06-19-2021, 11:55 AM
Wow that’s a big bear

Blacktail1
06-19-2021, 07:56 PM
2261716 (tel:2261716)[/URL]]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/brookcross/70DACA52-3A3B-46DD-8B97-37D4BD4004D9.jpeg?width=450&height=278&crop=fillhttps://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/brookcross/F3B8A0AC-324C-4D58-9306-AA4879452576.jpeg?width=450&height=278&crop=fillhttps://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/brookcross/AAA9FA3B-83EF-4227-A9A7-787B24C028BB.jpeg?width=450&height=278&crop=fillwhat do you green score him at?he must be pushing Boone ?

Blacktail1
06-19-2021, 07:58 PM
The crest on that skull is very impressive !

Jamesonm
06-19-2021, 10:27 PM
Amazing! Nice work guys.

whitlers
06-20-2021, 10:20 AM
Wow that's a big bear. I'm out lol.

swampthing
06-20-2021, 05:42 PM
Awesome bear!!

BrookTrout
06-20-2021, 08:50 PM
what do you green score him at?he must be pushing Boone ?

roughly 20 3/4” right now!

Blacktail1
06-20-2021, 08:56 PM
roughly 20 3/4” right now! outstanding bear ! Congratulations!

HarryToolips
06-20-2021, 09:38 PM
roughly 20 3/4” right now!
Great bear, congrats! Did ya $hit your pants when he charged you?

BrookTrout
06-29-2021, 10:52 AM
Slightly! Was a bit exiting though! Also glad I was able to chamber a round fast enough and shoot haha

Mark-R
07-06-2021, 10:00 PM
Finally got around to dealing with this frozen ball of fur in my freezer. Took a good 24 hrs to thaw out before I could do anything.
Not quite in the league of the tanks posted here but he's my biggest yet.
measurements: 11 5/8 + 6 6/8 = 18 3/8

Congrats to all the great bears here and a big thanks to those who chipped in and made this a fun spring.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b95s5c6sulqz9s1/IMG_0577.JPG?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fe9bqnlghgvry7/IMG_0578.JPG?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb30oyapol3cnp1/IMG_0579.JPG?raw=1

moosinaround
07-07-2021, 08:48 AM
Nice bruins folks!!! Good times hunting, good food in freezer, and saved a few of our ungulates!! Moosinaround

upperleftcoaster
07-09-2021, 10:39 PM
my official bear derby entry! (just before the deadline)

so full hunting story is in this thread here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?165379-big-ol-bear-for-a-first-timer

Short version - I had been hunting hard every weekend and working through a particular valley. Lots of bear sign. Had some setbacks. Missed a bear and went back the next week. About halfway to my destination a big 'ol bear was on the trail in front of me.

Derby details:

shot with my Savage model 10 in .308, shooting 150gr Federal blue box soft points.
https://i.imgur.com/UyAs71Mh.jpg

cleaned the cape out, measuring 6'6", nose to tail. 7' across the front paws.
https://i.imgur.com/pCFKyEGh.jpg

Skull measurements - about 19": 7 3/8" wide + 11 5/8" long
(let me know if i need to redo, I realize now that I included the bottom jaw)
https://i.imgur.com/FUjNJGbh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YpogKVrh.jpg

This bear had a bunch of fat on him. I rendered out 7.5L total bear oil from 23lbs of fat i trimmed. My total yield off the bear was 86lbs of clean and bagged meat.
https://i.imgur.com/VukPSyJh.jpg

Thank you RyoTHC for organizing this! It was definitely motivating for me during the season and helped me get out and push hard to get my first bear.

upperleftcoaster
07-09-2021, 10:41 PM
As the bear lays:
https://i.imgur.com/L6RH3D8h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wRjFDJsh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1yVxdQ4h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TjlQ0bSh.jpg

RyoTHC
07-10-2021, 03:12 PM
Afternoon folks,

first I’d like to apologize for dropping the ball on this over the last few weeks, between moving surgery and then the fires it’s been a chaotic spring to say the least.

I didn’t realize my PM box was full of outgoing mail and I missed a bunch of PMs, thankfully a good number of people took to emailing me, which is great and I’m sorting through now.. to anyone who tried to message me and couldn’t get through, feel free to now as I’m playing catch up.

bear with me (pun intended) here, while I sort through emails and replies on here and try to catch back up on the replies ive missed.

I’ll be coordinating a trip to Kelowna as soon as I’m done helping with the local fire relief efforts this weekend, to purchase and pick up the prizes/ contributions and I’ll be reaching out to anyone who touched base with me in the next few hours.

I will say I’m glad to see A lot of first time bear harvests and younger folks joining in and gaining invaluable experience and knowledge by taking part in the bear season, and filling their freezer with amazing meat!

Mine and my hunting partners season went sideways real quick early, and it’s safe to say we will be chasing a lot of berry bears in the fall..

Will edit/update and be in touch with everyone over the remainder of the afternoon.

thanks for the patience !

Blacktail1
07-13-2021, 07:09 PM
Best part of a bear derby is this here !!!!
https://i.postimg.cc/CxCP62Hk/D6458-CAB-1-FF5-4-CDC-93-FE-AFB8-DB35403-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Yv9zvbPC)

Ron.C
07-13-2021, 08:34 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/CxCP62Hk/D6458-CAB-1-FF5-4-CDC-93-FE-AFB8-DB35403-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Yv9zvbPC)

mmmmm, pass the onions!!!! I Love it

HarryToolips
07-13-2021, 08:59 PM
As the bear lays:
https://i.imgur.com/L6RH3D8h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wRjFDJsh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1yVxdQ4h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TjlQ0bSh.jpg
Nice bear, good meat and fat....beware of using federal blue box ammo FYI, my experience with it is it can fragment and damage meat very easily, glad you did well with it, congrats again...

HarryToolips
07-13-2021, 09:01 PM
That looks awesome...

warnniklz
07-13-2021, 09:55 PM
Friends and family that don't even really like wild meat have been hammering the bear carne asada

https://scontent.fyka1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/213577652_10165637912120387_4704880123890108859_n. jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=1VzIqIeh44YAX9QJFbF&_nc_ht=scontent.fyka1-1.fna&oh=cd5170a2b2f86402f2ffef0a9926ae0e&oe=60F3B346

RyoTHC
07-14-2021, 07:31 AM
Alright, I’ll admit.. using the same thread for banter and entries definitely made things more difficult.

ive been saving images into separate folders with usernames to organize, I think I have an accurate list of entries between HBC and my email, I was able to weed out any duplicates based on photos but if I had any doubts I sent a message confirming your username / email.

I am going to borrow a laptop, get off this tablet and make a separate thread with pictures/entries in the same post, if you see me post it, please don’t reply to it until it’s finished to keep things organized.

I am in the process of messaging each person that entered individually, some I need a bit more info from so please check your PM / keep your inbox open (unlike me lol). I’m going to give people a few days to get back to me as I think that’s only fair to everyone based on my delays.

Once I start to hear back from the users I need the additional info from, I will forward the relevantl photos and usernames in an organized fashion to those judging / deciding the outcome, and for any that need to be drawn, I am hoping to have a customer at Great North (if they permit) do the drawing while I’m there tying up the loose ends for the prizes.

Anyone who has entered but hasn’t got an email or a PM from me, check that your inbox isn’t full / I didn’t end up in the junk mail... if you still don’t find anything don’t hesitate to message me right away and I’ll make sure you’re entered.

im just waiting on a return phone call then I’ll post draw/ winner select date and when you can expect prizes.

again, my apologies for dropping the ball.. hopefully the last half of summer is much better than the first.
Fingers crossed for less fires.. can’t handle much more of that !

Draw was supposed to be done on the 10th and prizes going out soon after, we are obviously past that but considering the circumstances I will be giving those who I’m waiting to communicate with until Sunday to provide any info. Winners will be drawn/selected Friday the 23rd when I’m in Kelowna paying for the prizes, I believe gift cards can be digital / emailed so there should be no further delays beyond that. Assuming Great North is OK with it, I’ll have any draws that need to be done, completed by a customer/s at their store that day.

RyoTHC
07-24-2021, 09:19 AM
Good news,

I’ll be honest, I was worried that because I dropped the ball that I may have ended up losing some donations to the fun, that does not look to be the case! Everyone involved is a great sport and it looks like this is moving forward almost entirely intact!

I just finished loading up the truck once I finish breakfast and grab the pup im headed off over the mountain to the valley if death (sooo Smokey) to Great North Precision to square up for the gift cards and get this ball rolling!

This is most definitely going to be an annual thing(speaking for my own donations), but I will say this..
instead of doing it on a whim mid season next year, I will be ready April first with everything laid out, donations(if any) already collected and more clarity will be afforded to those who were kind enough to volunteer their services judging or helping me in any way during.

I am beyond appreciative to everyone, and I am glad that we are able to still make some people have a better summer with a few bucks to get them prepared for chasing deer elk or bear again in a few short weeks !

Once I get to Kelowna and have things squared away I will send my info to the relevant people and we will get the winners announced ASAP!

hopefully everyone is keeping safe, out of the smoke and enjoyed the hilarity of my attempt at the first annual bear derby.