PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat Meat

jimmybc
04-27-2021, 10:48 PM
Hello goat hunters!

I’m curious what everyone’s opinion is of goat meat? I’m very interested in mountain hunting and I’m thinking of applying for a goat LEH (close to home) this year. But, I’ve never tasted mountain goat meat before and anyone I’ve talked to about it has given me very mixed reviews. As much fun as climbing a mountain and bagging a goat would be, bringing home quality meat is my number one priority.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

wildcatter
04-27-2021, 11:03 PM
Hello goat hunters!

I’m curious what everyone’s opinion is of goat meat? I’m very interested in mountain hunting and I’m thinking of applying for a goat LEH (close to home) this year. But, I’ve never tasted mountain goat meat before and anyone I’ve talked to about it has given me very mixed reviews. As much fun as climbing a mountain and bagging a goat would be, bringing home quality meat is my number one priority.

In my experience it's very good, it was tender enough to make even Wiener Schnitzel with it.
The color not as dark as deer, moose or other venison.

warnniklz
04-28-2021, 12:50 AM
I friggin love it

Edit:
Have had
2x November old goats
1x young September goat
1x young August goat

nature girl
04-28-2021, 05:35 AM
My experience with goat meat it has been real good. Especially when you do a goat roast in a crock pot. MMM tasty.

SR80
04-28-2021, 05:44 AM
I think its great as well. Treat it just like any other game meat and it'll turn out great.

decker9
04-28-2021, 05:48 AM
One of my faves. I always pressure can my goat meat, makes the best stews!!

BCHunterTV
04-28-2021, 06:06 AM
i really like it!

Ron.C
04-28-2021, 06:21 AM
I enjoyed it.

twoSevenO
04-28-2021, 06:25 AM
Mild but fairly tough. I would definitely suggest marinating well.

This from an 8.5 year old October billy.

LBM
04-28-2021, 06:27 AM
Hello goat hunters!

If its just the meat your after, early in the season may be better then later, although i prefer to hunt them as late as possible.
There really isnt that much meat on a goat either.

labguy
04-28-2021, 07:17 AM
Avoid November Billy’s in rut if possible. Not good eating at all. “Yuk”. Even the dog won’t eat it and he’s a Labrador that will normally eat anything....:-(

Kopper
04-28-2021, 07:28 AM
Goat meat overall is great but quite tough with the exception being rut goats. Nov rut goats, as stated above, are so unpalatable in most dishes it isn’t funny. I’ve found I do almost all of my goat meat into curry of some sort. The slow cooking tenderizes it and the spices neutralize (or mask) even the stinkiest rutting goats.

RackStar
04-28-2021, 07:31 AM
My goat was in August and very tasty, I enjoyed it more then deer

dbergen69
04-28-2021, 08:13 AM
I have only harvested 1 goat. It has good flavour but is tough. Definitely a meat that I best in a slow cooker or stew.

.330 Dakota
04-28-2021, 08:16 AM
Shoot them in the opener week, no rut,,great flavour but a bit chewy,,,makes excellent pepperoni,,,or as dbergen69 said, roast in the slow cooker,,awesome eats

Ride Red
04-28-2021, 08:19 AM
Best I’ve eaten was a camp cook/chef that soaked the goat meat in seasoning salt/sea salt/warm water, then rinsed well and slow cooked it. Was tender and tasty beyond my expectations.

Imdone
04-28-2021, 08:28 AM
Somewhat Chewy the bigger Billy's, especially when your roasting it fresh over the fire same day as harvest.....

Chops are good, roasts are good, slower cooking methods are best to help tenderize. It's not deer, not beef, nor moose, it's goat so unique in its flavor. Other than roast or chops on bigger cuts we sausage it into different types.

Goat hunts are special, at times down right scary and not worth loosing your life over. That said they are some of my best hunting experiences, successful or not.

Do it while you can.

blackhawk19
04-28-2021, 08:29 AM
very good tasting , sometimes a little tough

Downtown
04-28-2021, 09:40 AM
Excellent,
Here is my Recipe !
Simmer Goat meat, Spices and 3 good sized Rocks for no less then 4 hours. Then dump out the Goat Meat and Eat the Rocks !

Cheers

kitnayakwa77
04-28-2021, 09:52 AM
I find it mild tasting and very similar to bison meat. But it's tough and chewy for sure. Slow-cooker stew/curries as others have said is amazing, ground goat burger is great, I would imagine sausages would be great too. Just don't expect to eat and enjoy tender steaks prepared using conventional methods.

Jrax
04-28-2021, 10:00 AM
Young billy we shot in late august was delicious. Tenderloins we grilled right away with spices over the fire, one of my favourite mountain meals ever. Have not tried an older billy

IronNoggin
04-28-2021, 11:11 AM
Buy a pressure cooker, grinder & sausage stuffer and you'll be fine.

Nog

wideopenthrottle
04-28-2021, 11:58 AM
only got one goat and it was low fat tight grain made nice skewers cubed up and bbq'd with veg..the rest was mostly stews and curries

Walking Buffalo
04-28-2021, 12:17 PM
It would be helpful in determining the culinary quality if the age of the animal was included.
Lots of replies say the meat tastes good but is tough.
Was this a two year or eight year old animal?

It could be that most of these reports of tough goat meat is simply due to the age of the animal, which is no different from other species of game.

Ron.C
04-28-2021, 12:38 PM
The day of my buddies goat kill (not a huge billy but a mature animal), we did fresh goat tenderloin and rainbow trout (mountain surf and turf) over the fire. Goat was great with nothing more than a light sprinkle of steak spice. But I must admit, the location (12km from any road) made the meal that much nicer and one of the most memorable Ive had.

Flavour of all the goat meat was really good and as for tenderness, meat cuts of the goat were not as nice as a young elk or whitetail, but better than a couple mature bull elk Ive eaten.

Like others have said, work well in any ground recipe(bbq mountain burgers were a huge hit at work). Made some grest kabobs and stews.

If one is after filling the freezer, there are easier animals that arguably better table fare but if you factor in the challenge of getting a goat and the experience of being up in their country, can't beat it.

Tuffguy
04-28-2021, 03:25 PM
My hunting partner and I harvested a goat last fall early September. We heard from other hunters that the meat is really good and heard so many people rave about it. Personally I would have rather taken my boot off and cooked that to eat lol. Didn't enjoy it but still ate it. It was aged at 9 years tho. We both thought it was an ongoing joke between goat hunters to say that the meat is so good so that other people will go goat hunting to endure the hard work it takes to get them or that goat hunters are just so hungry after the climbing and hiking that anything would be delicious haha.

Regardless It was one of the most fun and exciting hunts I've been on. They truly are awesome creatures and the terrain they live in is incredible. I would say definitely try it out for yourself! Either way you're in for an incredible adventure.

I do believe we just harvested an "off" goat but either way I am putting in for a draw again this year and figure its only fair to give it another shot because I'm not convinced.

For the record until I try it again, I still do believe it's an ongoing inside joke between goat hunters that the meat is so dam good that they say that because of the work that goes into harvesting them. So for that reason when someone asks me "is it good?" I respond with "best meat ever" "go try it for yourself" lol because it was alot of hard work.

Definitely go and give it a shot! Best of luck!

Kopper
04-28-2021, 04:13 PM
It would be helpful in determining the culinary quality if the age of the animal was included.

It could be that most of these reports of tough goat meat is simply due to the age of the animal, which is no different from other species of game.

IME goat is tough irregardless of age. Personally ate goats from 3-12 year olds if that helps.

180grainer
04-28-2021, 04:43 PM
The two goats I shot were old. Meat was as tuff as ever. Tasted ok.

charlie_horse
04-28-2021, 05:14 PM
Never had goat i didnt like but all have been before october

glennw89
04-28-2021, 05:59 PM
Young billy I shot in 2019 was very good I thought. Mild, but unique flavour. Meat was definitely tougher than some other wild game. A chef friend of mine made a mind-blowingly good Moroccan Curry with a shoulder cut.

wildcatter
04-28-2021, 09:30 PM
Strange, my goat was not tough at all, but it was a young one in first week of October.

one-shot-wonder
04-28-2021, 10:21 PM
Killed a 10 yr old Billy Nov. 5th, aka the rut.... Nice flavour, and to be expected chewy. That's fine it's all about preparation and a but of creativity. Cubes for stew and curries, loins for jerky. Don't think about steaks, instead schnitzel, Ginger beef, goulash.... Mmmmm I am getting hungry as I type.

jimmybc
04-28-2021, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your in put! I really appreciate it!

I’ve decided I’m going to put in for a goat tag this season. At the very least it will a great adventure and a learning experience if I’m lucky enough to draw a tag. A lot of good ideas for preparation. I already make my own sausage and have a pretty good stew recipe. If I mange to get a goat I’ll definitely be trying some curries and skewers!

Thanks again for all your help!

Springer
04-29-2021, 07:24 AM
I have taken 2 Goats. Both were ground and the meat is excellent. It is very tough otherwise and i would shoot a 3rd in a heartbeat and grind it as well.Nothing like Goat Burgers and Beers with the fellas.

Stresd
04-29-2021, 07:55 AM
A little fleshing before salting and rolling, and then enjoying a little fruit of our labour over hot coals of a dying fire. So tasty!!!

https://i.imgur.com/TR7PDTh.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/00i0AtE.jpg?1

Ron.C
04-29-2021, 07:57 AM
^^^^^ looks like fine dining to me!!

Rackmastr
04-29-2021, 08:42 AM
Not one of my favorite meats, but its alright. I've had some thats been really chewy, but I've also had that with old moose.

Edit to add....I've had 3, 5 and 7 year old goat

It has a mild taste. I do a lot of sausage/burger/etc with it for the most part.

Timberjack
04-29-2021, 05:17 PM

Not necessarily untrue, but my experience with 4 different animals from2.5 to 9 years age is that they’re all pretty tough compared to other game. A different taste that like some have said can be very good, especially if a bit of effort is put into the preparation.

TJ

Omineca
04-29-2021, 05:48 PM
Delicious, the fat is good too.

jimmybc
05-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Thanks again everyone for all the great info and inspiration!

Stay safe out there and good luck I the LEH!

Mudsey
05-02-2021, 11:10 PM
I've eaten from a lot of goats (16+) and think they have a unique but awesome flavor, also really like the flavor of the fat as quite mild and if you like organ meat their heart and liver are to die for. All the ones I've eaten from were shot in August, September, October or February. I make steak (thin cut) out of all the primes and sometimes pound into cutlets. The trim I like for stew meat and burger, although really good in curries I find the curry masks the unique flavor so tend not to do so. However I had some meat from one my buddy harvested in the Stikine on a summer hunt and it tasted like sage brush and was quite strong but made delicious curries.

Trapper
05-03-2021, 06:33 PM
The gravy is even tough on those buggers

Brew
05-03-2021, 08:06 PM
I liked the couple I’ve had. Mild tasting but some cuts can be tough. Totally worth it and worth the hunt

dapesche
05-17-2021, 01:15 PM
yup. Excellent meat. I got a late November Billy.
There is a smell to it that burns off. The meat is very good. My wife likes it as well.

madcalfe
05-18-2021, 06:55 PM
Nothing beats mountain goat, some mixed spices and butter on day 8 of sheep hunting cooked on a piece of shale.... well I guess sheep would beat it ��

https://i.imgur.com/qAQ3hNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xEHDNnO.jpg

jimmybc
05-23-2021, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone!

A lot of great info! Like I said, the tag I’m applying for is close to home (pretty much right in my backyard) and I’ve already been spotting goats! I’m getting pretty excited. Fingers crossed for the LEH.

Thanks again and keep the awesome pictures coming!

Deer_Slayer
06-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Mountain goat meat is very delicious if cooked right. I use my Uncles recipe and it works great every time. Cut Mt Goat in cubes and put in boiling water with a fist sized rock. Boil steady and when you can stick a fork in the rock the goat is done. You're welcome