PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars

hunter1947
11-03-2007, 07:09 AM
How many of you forum members have a good set of binoculars ????. I will be picking up a pair of 10x42 leupold next week in Victoria. If i had the 10x42 on my hunt this year ,the outcome might have been different ???. I am getting them for $280.00.

sealevel
11-03-2007, 07:21 AM
hunter1947 i have a pair of leapold cascades i like them for a good inexpensive pair of glasses. But i have a friend who got a pair of vortec way better 100 bucks more though.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Binoculars are THEE single most important piece of equipment in a hunter's arsenal.
You can never have to good of optics. If you only have so much money in your budget save longer and get better. You won't regret it!

SSS

Deaddog
11-03-2007, 07:23 AM
I have the discoverer baush and lomb bino's 10x42, for the price range they are good , the main thing for me is that optics are waterproof and clear, bino's haven't made the difference in getting game for me.. spotting scopes certainly have though

model88
11-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Binocs should be one of your biggest investments for hunting, I use Zeiss 10x40's

huntwriter
11-03-2007, 07:57 AM
I own a whole selection of binoculars then I purchased a pair of 10 x 42 Swarovski’s and the world around me looked very differently. This is likely the pair that I will use to the end of my days. Now I am saving up money for a spotting scope from Swarovski.

Tikka7mm
11-03-2007, 07:58 AM
I use the Bushnell Legend 10x42 . For the money I think they are pretty darn good. I bought them off Binoculars.com. Check them out. I think you might br surprised. I think I paid about 280 for mine as well landed after taxes and duties and that was before the dollar was at 1.08. I would definitely check out htis site, it could save you some money. The cheapest I could find my binos her in Victoria were aboround 430-450 after taxes.

hunter1947
11-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I own a whole selection of binoculars then I purchased a pair of 10 x 42 Swarovski’s and the world around me looked very differently. This is likely the pair that I will use to the end of my days. Now I am saving up money for a spotting scope from Swarovski.
I looked at pair of 10x42 swarovskis and then looked threw a pair of 10x42 leupolds when i was i the sporting good store in cranbrook this year, Believe it or no they both were clear and i couldn't tell the difference between the two ,but the coast factor between the two was out rages ,$2000.00 compared to $500.00. ????.

huntwriter
11-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Hunter1947 you’re right there are a few brands that come close to Swarovski or are equal and are not that pricy. I probably would have opted for another brand too but when I purchased my Swarovski’s I was living at the time in China. In that country there is no sales, import taxes and other fees and duties on goods, unlike here and other some other countries. The price I paid for my Swarovski’s was exactly $878.00.

Just in case that some wonder that the binocs are a rip-off. No they are not. In China you can buy brand names and high quality stuff. The cheap stuff and the rip-offs are destined for export, Chinese never would buy such things.

huntcoop
11-03-2007, 08:28 AM
hunter1947 i have a pair of leapold cascades i like them for a good inexpensive pair of glasses. But i have a friend who got a pair of vortec way better 100 bucks more though.

Hunter1947...
I second the Vortex line. Do yourself a favour and before you buy, call Wild Birds Unlimited in Victoria, ask for Earl McKenzie, the owner, 1- 250-595-3595. He will order in what you want in the Vortex line, with no obligation, ya buy what you like.

I bought the 10x50 Vultures and they are incredible. I compared them with Leupold Cascades, Olympics and Pinnicles, Bushnell Elites etc.. and the Vortex where awesome. My buddy was in Washington and compared them side by side with Swarovski's, he could not tell the difference after 5 minutes of switching back and forth.

Give them a try, you won't be sorry...
www.vortexoptics.com (http://www.vortexoptics.com)

...Huntcoop

steel_ram
11-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Way back when I was in the market for bino's. I tried lots and had actually settled for Bausch & Lomb's (bushnell) top of the line, that really weren't very expensive. My wife ended up buying me some Leupold 10x42's and they have served me well ever since. To get a very tiny bit better, your going to pay a premium. Not worth it in my opinion.

pikey
11-03-2007, 08:36 AM
I bought the vortex vipers last week and had them out for the first time.
The clarity and low light abilities were very good. My buddy and I were sitting up in a clearing at dusk and he got up and walked over to me. He couldn't see anything anymore, I gave him the vipers and he couldn't believe how much he could see.

They also have a great warranty that I hope I will never need.

kutenay
11-03-2007, 09:13 AM
The finest glasses ARE worth it, IMHO, but everyone's needs and uses are different. I have used Zeiss, Swaro, B&L, Ross, Leica, Bushnell, Leupold, Pentax and several other binos over the years and bought Zeiss in 1967, again in 1975 and Leicas in 2005. I have had a B&L spotter, a Leupold and now a Leica Armoured, there IS a difference, but, each to his own.

Of what's on the current market, after testing them, I pick Leica Ultravids as the best bino and prefer their spotters as well. I use mine all year tho', not just for hunting.

Bow Walker
11-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Since I got my 8.5x50 Vortex Vultures I've been the happiest guy on the 3D circuit.

Now I'm saving for a pair of Vortwx 10x? for hunting. THE best bang for the buck bar none.

People that have tried all the high-end brands of glasses out there.......you know the brand names I'm talking about - have any of you actually tried the Vortex lineup?

Dirty
11-03-2007, 09:25 AM
There are lots of other threads on HBC covering this topic. Have a look at all of them as there is some good stuff posted in there. All I can say is until you have an experience where your hunting partner can see something and you can't with your binoculars you don't know the benefit of $2000 binos over $500 binos.

Lil Buck
11-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I too agree binos are tres important...
Swarovskis and leica here..
Just got geovid 10x42with built in range finder,sweet glass and with the US so week a great deal..

Have tried cheaper glass but dont hold up,pay good money for your optics and they wont let you down,buy comfort aswell what feels good in your hands....
I guided for many years and found when glassing long periods of time Zeiss arent comfortable,The sworovskis are ..I will let you know how the leicas are..

Cheers lb:-P

bearheart
11-03-2007, 10:24 AM
LEICA.8x42 or 10x42. Lifetime warranty. Tough as nails.Bought mine 10 years ago, still happy.

Jetboater
11-03-2007, 10:24 AM
there is a lot of great binoculars that are very comparable to swarovskis and ziess during regular daylight hours, its early in the morning and late in the evening where you see the difference... with a higher end pair of binos you can see into the timber not just the edges of the timber... I have a pair of 10x42 swarovskis that if I forget at home I will head back to get them, once you have a great pair of binos you cant leave home without them

remember, what you cant see you cant shoot.....

porcupine
11-03-2007, 10:37 AM
I use 8x32 Leica and adore them. Nice size for sneaking around and/or sheep or mountain hunting. Worth every penny. I also carry 8x20 Swarovski pocket binoculars in my jacket for every day use and while fishing. Good bino's are worth every penny.
________
halfbaked (http://half-baked.com)

cdub
11-03-2007, 10:41 AM
I have a pair of windriver made by leupold i think. They work great and were about 700 i think about 7yrs ago. Good quality roof prism cant be beat if you can afford them.

islandarcher
11-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I have heard great things aboput the Vortex line, may check into a pair to keep in the truck for non-hunters that come out with me during the season.
That being said, I own a pair of Leica 10X42 and absolutly love them. I am amazed what I can see at dusk and first light. Until you have experienced high quality glass in hunting situations, you do not know what you are missing. All my hunting buddies were constantly grabbing for my leicas when we were glasssing slashes in low light to determine if the lump they saw in their cheaper binos was a stump, or a moose. Looking through binos in the middle of the day for a minute or two at a sporting goods store, will not determine a thing. If they are both 10 power glass, both will show you 10 power magnification. The true essence of high quality glass is only proven in the field at low light. Once you have experienced this, you cannot go back. I now get almost instant eye strain if I look through cheaper binos. Two places in hunting not to skimp are optics and footwear. Buy the best you can, spend the most you can afford, and you won't regret. No one believes Leicas or Swarvos are worth it.... until they use them, then they all become converts!

todbartell
11-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm using Nikon Monarch 10x42s right now but within a couple years I hope to replace them with some Swarovski EL 8x32

john-brennan
11-03-2007, 12:27 PM
I have 2 pair of Binoculars, Nikon Monarch 8x42 which my son uses and I use Minox 10x42 and they work very well.

Jagermeister
11-03-2007, 12:28 PM
How many of you forum members have a good set of binoculars ????. I will be picking up a pair of 10x42 leupold next week in Victoria. If i had the 10x42 on my hunt this year ,the outcome might have been different ???. I am getting them for $280.00.I have a pair of Nikon Monarchs in 10x42, they have larger eye lenses ~12mm and they're waterproof to boot. These are well suited to the person that wears glasses as they have retractable eyecups and come with the best eye lense covers going. Clarity is very good. My B&L 8X24s weigh about the same.
Here's a link to some birder bino info.
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/binocglossary.html#parts

p&p
11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
High end optics are GREAT untill-they are left on a rock or stump or as Ive done with G -note glasses left them on the roof of my truck for some one else to find.Its wise to stay affordable incase you have to do it TWICE.

tangozulu
11-03-2007, 01:30 PM
From inside the store they all look good.
I bought a pair of Nikon Monarcks (300) and they are ok for the bucks.
I want to get into Zeiss conquests at about 500 for the 8 power.I think my 10 power Nikons cause too much eye strain. Better optics and lower power are my best advice.
I would do anything to afford the swaros though. They are the best BY FAR.
Just in my humble opinion.

I looked at pair of 10x42 swarovskis and then looked threw a pair of 10x42 leupolds when i was i the sporting good store in cranbrook this year, Believe it or no they both were clear and i couldn't tell the difference between the two ,but the coast factor between the two was out rages ,$2000.00 compared to $500.00. ????.

Will
11-03-2007, 02:01 PM
High end optics are GREAT untill-they are left on a rock or stump or as Ive done with G -note glasses left them on the roof of my truck for some one else to find.Its wise to stay affordable incase you have to do it TWICE.
Thanks now I have an excuse for carrying my Tascos.........:lol::lol::lol:
:redface:

mpotzold
11-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Same as Deaddog-B&L DISCOVERER 10X42. Got them wet many times .(no problem) Very clear even when its getting dark.

Walksalot
11-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Without doubt the higher end binos are just that, higher end, but ones budget may not make owning those higher end binos a reality. I have a pair of Bushnell Legends(8X42) and my son has a pair of Bushnell H2Os(10X42). Both serve us well and are always around our necks when we are hunting.

GoatGuy
11-03-2007, 03:45 PM

hahahhaahahah!

Better stick with the $100 .303 just incase you forget it on a rock too.:smile:

K.A
11-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I have these in 10X42, money well spent.

http://www.swarovskioptik.at/UserFiles/swarovski_optik/Image/popup/popup_SLCneu%2010x42%20WB.jpg

huntwriter
11-03-2007, 07:26 PM

Binos are meant to hang around the neck that's why they all come with a neck strap.:lol:

Sitkaspruce
11-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I picked up a pair of 8x42 Leupold Gold Ring HD this fall and have put them through the wringer while guiding and hunting. I have compared them to both Swarovski and Leica and in my opinion they are better then both of them. They were clearer and brighter at first and last light and were better at edge to edge than both during the day. I have not compared them to the Zeiss yet but will be when I can. They are made in the US and have the best warrenty of any bino's out there, other than Vortex, which have the same. The only thing that might put some people off is the weight, at 32 oz, but for my tremor, the weight helps. Also included with the bino's is both a nice neopreme neck strap and a bino harness, both with quick release buckles, obective lens covers and a eye cups. They are a little bit cheaper than the big three, but not by much.

I used to use B&L Discovers and pentax, not any more. Now I need to choose one pair for back up.

SS

steel_ram
11-03-2007, 10:51 PM
If you pay 4 figures and can't pronounce the name, then they've gotta be good. Right? Don't be a brand sucker, try out as many as you can and make your own, unbiased choice. Unlike spotting scopes, there is so much more to bino's than just the glass.

Smokepole
11-04-2007, 12:36 AM
I also use B&L 10x42, best investment in hunting gear I ever made. I'd rather have a cheap gun than junky bino's. But cheap ones are better than not having any. I would consider them a necessity, for safety and success.

Gateholio
11-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Undersand that optics tend to be individual.

I have never personally looked through binos better than my Leicas, but some guy s like Swaros, Ziess, Leupold and B&L better.

Your eyes may differ.

The good news? There are many high quality optics out there for a reasonable price.

The best Euro optics of 20years ago arent' as good as todays mid range optics.:biggrin:

alremkin
11-04-2007, 01:25 AM
I bought my Leica Trinovid 10x42s in '98 after my Steiner 8x56s were stolen. I found using a cheap set of binos for any length of time would give me a spliting headache. I started with a set of cheap Tascos and sold them after I found I'd get headaches after using them more than an hour or so steady.

So to put it in dollar terms I'd say that reasonable binos these days start at about $300 for a new set and go up from there.