PDA

View Full Version : No Doe's

Brambles
11-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Been hunting pretty solid for a Mulie, and the area I'm hunting right now I haven't seen any doe's just 3 points and smaller 4 points. Seeing legal bucks every day.

Not really sure what this means but I figure one explanation might be that there is a big buck that has them all squirrel'd away. I kinda think that it is a little early for the really big bucks to have come down claiming does. Perhaps the doe's are just at a lower elevation that I haven't hunted.

What do you more experianced mulie hunters think? How large of an area will a buck hold, does this mean I'm close and keep watching or not even close and go find some does? Lots of timber in the area so there is tonnes of places for them to be held up, but you figure they have to feed sometimes

4 point
11-02-2007, 08:39 PM
With the bigger boys starting into the rut they round the does up and try to keep them in the timber. A lot of the mating takes place at night. With to many to hold and then competition things start to move all over and some out from cover. Pick a good area and sit under cover. Watch the wind for sure. I've been seeing a ton of does the last while and few bucks. Will be out the next 3 days looking for a nice 4 point while my partner tries to fill a LEH bull tag. Things hopefully could get interesting.

boxhitch
11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't think Mulies work at keeping a haram rounded up like an elk does ? They just sort of follow along, waiting , and fighting off intruders ?
In the past, I've seen Mulie does from the valley floor and up to the alpine plowing in 2ft of snow. So can only say 'they are where you find them'.
oh, and there is feed in the timber,too.
But you'll prob get an better answer from the gurus.

todbartell
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
find the does, you'll find the big bucks...in about a week :D

BCrams
11-03-2007, 12:01 AM
You definatly need to find some does and hopefully be able to keep an eye on them until a big buck shows up. Either that - or set up in a funnel area to watch for one to move through.

sawmill
11-03-2007, 05:25 AM
I don't think Mulies work at keeping a haram rounded up like an elk does ? They just sort of follow along, waiting , and fighting off intruders ?
In the past, I've seen Mulie does from the valley floor and up to the alpine plowing in 2ft of snow. So can only say 'they are where you find them'.
oh, and there is feed in the timber,too.
But you'll prob get an better answer from the gurus.

You are right,thats why deer don`t bugle.

Chuck
11-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Those big mulie bucks are out there all right but I've noticed they're moving around a lot at night. I think it might have something to do with the moon phase too, as it's been pretty bright up to the end of October.
I'm willing to bet with the dark of the moon coming now in November, things will soon pick up and persistent hunters are going to fill their tags for sure.