PDA

View Full Version : Pac Boots

daycort
11-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I just ordered a pair of the shnees 13" pro hunter 2's. They look real good and warm andthe biggest feature is that i can fit my foot in the stirup and go for some wnter time rides. And they are also narrow enough so your foot does not slide off of the foot board on a sled. I am just wondering if anybody has had a pair of these boots before? I know the majority of people that frequent HBC are from the southern half and probably wouldn't need a pair. Just wondering if some of the cougar guys or the northern boys or trappers have used them?

Here is the link:http://www.schnees.com/product_categories/344/products/2265-schnee-13-inch-hunter-ii

One Shot
11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Had a pair a number of years ago. They were great in the wet lands or snow. I did not feel that the rubber part was as warm as leather and also I thought that my feet sweated more in them they did in leather. The advantage is you can remover the pacs and dry them out. I had an extra set of pacs so that there was always a dry set. Over all they are a good boot for the purpose in its day. They are used a fair bit in the US east coast.

kutenay
11-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I bought mine in 1991, while working in AB for the Forest Service and have used them on a number of deep snow jaunts in AB and BC. They are the BEST pac boots out of several pair that I have had and mine are still like new.

I bought two sets of spare liners and you NEED to change them about twice per day, or, your feet feel cold due to sweat. I like these very much and would buy them again.

There IS another option, "Lundhag" pacs from Sweden, available from Lathrop's, but, they are a LOT of $$$$$$. However, if they are like Hilleberg tents and some other Swedish gear I have had, they are probably worth the cost.

boxhitch
11-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Schnee, Whites, and LaCrosse all make a similar pac boot. Probably rated for only -10 (ymmv) the liners are fairly light.
Waterproofing can be improved, by applying Krazy glue to the stiching holes, then urethane seam sealer.
They may be a little soft for sledding, depending on the type of riding you do, you may want more protection. I wear a plastic shell mountainbeering boot.

harbinger
11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
You can also by "bama" socks for ten bucks to line your pac boot. They wick the moisture off your sock really well but need to get dried out every night.

daycort
11-03-2007, 12:27 AM
hey kutenay,

do your feet get that numb cold in these boots or the i can live with it cold?

boxhitch,

just checking traps in the mountains. I am not testing avalanches.

kutenay
11-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Good question, but, I don't get cold very easily and can only say that they are too warm for me until it is getting down to roughly 0*F. I once bought some "Mickey Mouse" US Army cold weather boots for hunting late season Whitetails in the Boundary-West Kootenays, but, can never wear them, even at 0*F as they keep my feet too warm.

So, I would guess that the Schnee's "should"work for you, but, if you tend to have sweaty feet, DO buy and use spare liners. You might also look at some of the Gore-Tex-insulated boots for drier cold regions, check www.kenetrek.com (http://www.kenetrek.com) for one type; I just bought some gaiters from these people, very nice service and excellent product, I am going to get a pair of their high boots for snowshoing after Christmas...just another option.

boxhitch
11-03-2007, 06:40 AM
just checking traps in the mountains. If you are in the water a lot, consider the 16" high model if not too late. They are a saver if doing lots of creek work.

daycort
11-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I got my pac boots 2 days ago and have alredy did some deep snow hiking and just your regular jacka$$ing around and i am very happy with them. I can see though that in the cold weather -20*c or less that you do have to keep moving for your feet to stay warm.

thanks for everyones input.