PDA

View Full Version : Goose poop in fields 'impossible to avoid' says Richmond soccer club

silveragent
04-09-2021, 09:43 AM
Goose poop in fields 'impossible to avoid' says Richmond soccer club, as snow geese numbers climbhttps://bc.ctvnews.ca/goose-poop-in-fields-impossible-to-avoid-says-richmond-soccer-club-as-snow-geese-numbers-climb-1.5380483
Published Thursday, April 8, 2021 7:14PM PDT

RICHMOND, B.C. -- An eye-catching spectacle in Richmond has grown even bigger, and the larger footprint is coming with some noticeable impacts.
The city’s annual visit from 10s of thousands of migrating snow geese is almost over for the season, and the latest estimate shows the birds’ numbers have been increasing.
Richmond Football Club executive director Marius Roevde said flocks of visiting snow geese have left their droppings all over the grass field at Hugh Boyd Park, calling it “impossible to avoid.”

“When it’s fresh poop, it’s horrible for the little kids,” he said. “It sticks to their football boots ... it sticks to the ball, and the little ones are close to the ground so you don’t want them to get this in their mouth or in their face. It’s just disgusting to get it on all their clothes as well.”
Roevde said the club has heard from parents and has also been in touch with the city.
“It looks like it’s just getting out of hand,” he said, adding that the birds don’t bother with the nearby artificial turf fields.
“It’s a problem, but I’m not sure what to do.”
Richmond’s communications director Clay Adams said it’s been one of the worst years so far for damage to local sports fields, as the geese tear up grass and roots while they eat.
“That’s becoming a bit of a concern as to how we manage this ever-increasing number,” he said.
The geese come from Siberia to winter on B.C.’s South Coast, as well as in Washington State and California. Adams said the estimated count this year is 180,000, which is more than double the estimate of 86,500 from the 2017-18 season.
He added that the usual deterrents, including dogs, don’t appear to be working anymore.
“We were able to use visual deterrents ... things like little flags and streamers on fields and parks that we knew that they would frequent,” said Adams. “It’s like the geese are becoming used to them. They’re less afraid of them now.”
Adams said they’re turning to “turf management”: keeping some fields growing longer, because the geese prefer short grass. The flocks have also been visiting city green spaces at night, rather than during the day, as they have in the past.
However, Adams said complaints about the animals have actually gone down.
“We think that’s because ... of COVID. People haven’t been around as much, but also people aren’t seeing them at night,” Adams said. “They’re likely hearing them, but they’re certainly not seeing them.”
As for what’s left behind by the flocks on the fields, Adams said it’s something that’s really hard to tackle.
“There is no real effective means of removing it,” he said. “We have looked at equipment in the past that can actually do things like vacuum up geese poop, but it’s not effective, particularly not on larger fields.”
He said that’s why the focus is on trying to keep the geese away from the fields in the first place.
In the past, the idea of a cull has been raised, but managing the snow goose population falls under the federal Migratory Birds Convention Act, and is also overseen by the Canadian Wildlife Service and the U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife. Russia also has a stake, as the breeding ground for the geese, Wrangel Island, is a nature preserve.
“It is not a decision the city can make independently,” Adams said.
He noted there is also an agreement with the City of Delta where land has been set aside and grown as a feed source specifically for the geese, to divert them from other locations.
“That’s been very successful in the past,” Adams said. “But as their numbers increase, there’s more of them and they’re looking for areas beyond those that are already crowded with their fellow travellers.”
Adams added a discussion about other potential measures to counter the growing snow goose population hasn’t happened yet at the city level.
“If that conversation needs to take place, it’s going to be a long conversation,” he said. “I think what we’re all trying to do is to find ways that we can reduce their impact without reducing, really, their spectacle and the beauty that they bring.”
The snow geese are in Richmond from October to April, and are expected to depart in the coming weeks.

Imdone
04-09-2021, 10:31 AM
Boom boom boom

Out goe the Geese...... And the shit with em.

adriaticum
04-09-2021, 10:44 AM
Let them eat poop

silveragent
04-09-2021, 12:36 PM
I think a little poop is good for their immune systems

VLD43
04-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Unfortunately Politics overtakes common sense, and induces paralysis. Over on the Island in Sooke, they have a problem with Canada geese defecating on the Soccer fields. They ended up buying a pooper scooper that is towed behind a lawn tractor and does an effective job. Another option is to use dogs to chase them off the fields, but I am sure the PETA people would call that harassment. Its to bad they don't have a longer open season on them and places closer to the areas they rest where you can hunt. Down in Seattle by Union Lake, I saw they were using Coyote figures in the park to discourage geese.

MZac
04-09-2021, 01:57 PM
Okanagan has a very similar issue with non-migrating invasive Canada Geese. Those fake coyote don't work (we have them in west kelowna and the geese walk right by them several times a day).

adriaticum
04-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Those geese need to be harvested

Moose63
04-09-2021, 03:26 PM
Those geese need to be harvested

I was waiting for someone on the this forum to come up with a solution ;)

silveragent
04-09-2021, 08:10 PM
Seemed too obvious in a hunting forum :)

But I think it was funny one of the people quoted mentioned "traditional methods like dogs" for moving them on. *sigh*

scoutlt1
04-09-2021, 08:55 PM
Why is it so surprising to these people that geese love soccer fields (and beaches)??

Maybe spend some more time and tax payer dollars trying to figure it out. :roll:

Jeezes....

REMINGTON JIM
04-09-2021, 09:35 PM
It's a LML - NDP problem so i don't GIVE a shit about a solution ! :mad: RJ

f350ps
04-09-2021, 09:52 PM
I’m loving to hear this, 35 years ago a bunch of us goose hunters attended many Richmond council meetings trying to sway them from banning hunting on Sturgeon Banks and the Terra Nova foreshore! The group that was pushing the closure was a bunch of leaflickers that belonged to a group called Lifeforce led by an anemic little prick by the name of Peter Hamilton! Council was warned about what this closure could mean to the city of Richmond but they would have none of it, I’d love to see the cost to repair play fields and school grounds now, they’re a muddy mess by the end of October! Love it!! K

scoutlt1
04-09-2021, 09:56 PM
It's a LML - NDP problem so i don't GIVE a shit about a solution ! :mad: RJ

Exactly.

Coyotes biting a few people in Stanley Park? Snow geese shitting on a soccer field in Richmond? Those are "issues"?? You "experts" can't figure that stuff out???

F**k off.

Damn I'm getting a little bitter in my old age... :-)

REMINGTON JIM
04-09-2021, 11:34 PM
Exactly.

Coyotes biting a few people in Stanley Park? Snow geese shitting on a soccer field in Richmond? Those are "issues"?? You "experts" can't figure that stuff out???
F**k off.

Excellent ! :smile: RJ

Damn I'm getting a little bitter in my old age... :-)

I've Being BITTER for a While Now ! RJ :smile:

Beachcomber
04-10-2021, 11:53 AM
Soccer and goose shit is one thing, rugby and goose shit is way more consequential.

The Richmond drum-circle gang who opted for banning hunting are probably also the same people complaining about the state of their playing fields and that fact that their kid comes home from soccer practice with giardia. Council will go around in circles trying to figure this out, just as they do on the island wondering how to deal with an exploding urban deer problem. At least resident Canadas can have their eggs destroyed; snow geese not so much. I am waiting for someone to propose neutering (or have they already?)

deltawaterfowler
10-15-2021, 12:47 PM
I grew up along the dykes in Richmond. I remember the days when hunters packed the shoreline to hunt the snow geese. Then the City of Richmond banned hunting the shoreline... it's their own damn fault. The goose $hit in the parks is disgusting... don't take your kids to the adventure park during the migratory season, unless you like your kids being covered in goose poop.

Redthies
10-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Council will go around in circles trying to figure this out, just as they do on the island wondering how to deal with an exploding urban deer problem.

Seems like nature is taking care of the Gulf and Van Island deer populations on its own. Maybe the same thing will happen in Richmond, but it would be better if it weren’t the geese that were “taken care of”.

Ron.C
10-16-2021, 09:21 AM
We have the same issue with geese on our local school grounds and sports fields. I was at a meeting a couple years back where the CO's attended and stated to municipal council members the regional bio wanted hunters to target these geese in local farm fields and saltwater marshes. Made little difference as the local council left a large portion of these area withing the bylaw no shooting area.

So I'm in the "who cares" camp. The province should stay out of it and let the geese be a nuisance for local municipalities that don't want to use regulated hunting on an exploding wildlife population as a management tool. Ironic thing is, I've talked with folks that don't want to see these poor geese being hunted yet they are same ones that have no issue dropping a live crab or lobster from superstore a pot of boiling water.

mike31154
10-16-2021, 07:16 PM
Vernon City Council finally decided to approve a cull after years of egg addling failed to reduce the resident Canada Goose population crapping all over beaches. Was supposed to happen this year, but a federal permit delay nixed it. Hopefully next time around the permits will be in place. Either way it is refreshing to finally see politicians grow some. There was opposition of course, but this time it fell on deaf ears.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7948142/vernon-b-c-goose-cull-permitting-delay/

There's a video at the bottom of the link above. A woman in Kelowna was 'extremely traumatized' by a legal goose kill on private property. This is today's society. As long as it's packaged nice & purty at the meat counter in the grocery store it's ok. Never mind how it gets there from the slaughterhouse. These poor outraged ladies have no clue on the difference in firearms (shotgun vs rifle) & the associated laws re discharging them.

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/219701/Geese-shot-and-decapitated

TUGGER
10-17-2021, 05:44 AM
Years ago we hunted the blind bay area until the leaf lickers had it cancelled. 2 years later they went back to the gov to bring back the hunt.no go now the numbers have tripled and they don't leave in the winter. they have tried everything to deture the pest electric fence air cannons the docks and beaches are goose sh$t soup and they draw there drinking water from the bay .Reap what you sow

Redthies
10-17-2021, 08:15 AM
I went out to Boundry Bay for my first day of ducks yesterday. Hole Lee Crap! The fields around the Serpentine were COVERED in snows. Almost every field I drove past on the way around the bay from Whiterock to Ladner we’re full of snow geese. I’ve never seen them that far east in numbers like this. And at the spot I hunt from shore I also have never seen more than a couple of strays, but I actually unloaded my duck loads in favour of BBs there were so many flying over. (I can hear a flock as I type this flying over my house). I’m going back to the same spot today and will see how the numbers are.

silveragent
10-17-2021, 08:37 AM
Yes it is an amazing sight actually. I need to improve my decoy or hide game though as yesterday was only able to pot one (my group eventually got seven)

B.C.Boy(100%)
10-18-2021, 05:03 AM
The old guy up the valley, has a hay field, hates he geese even looking at it, so any time he sees a goose or geese, he just shoots a 22 blank in their direction, they leave, and they remember that field is not safe.
if he didn’t do that the field would be littered with geese all the time.
many years ago he suffered from a heart attack, slowed him down quite a bit back then, he was not able to defend his field so well then, and it was full of geese for a few years, but he got better and back to scaring them off, and in about a year there were hardly any geese willing to return to that field. They remember this sort of thing.

Redthies
10-18-2021, 08:34 AM
Yes it is an amazing sight actually. I need to improve my decoy or hide game though as yesterday was only able to pot one (my group eventually got seven)

We got a snow and cackling over our mallard decoys yesterday. The geese are all over the place this year. Makes for an interesting day!

silveragent
10-18-2021, 08:51 AM
I'd never noticed cacklers until this season actually. I see them really high flyers compared to the Canadas. Pretty interesting! Maybe it's because I spent 90 per cent of my time in Brunswick but this year started in Boundary and I may stay there for the season.

Redthies
10-18-2021, 08:03 PM
I'd never noticed cacklers until this season actually. I see them really high flyers compared to the Canadas. Pretty interesting! Maybe it's because I spent 90 per cent of my time in Brunswick but this year started in Boundary and I may stay there for the season.

If you want to meet up for a hunt, just send me a message. I own my own business so I can take pretty much any day I want for a “mental health” day, or an afternoon is fine too if that works better.

silveragent
10-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Yea I'll try anything. Lots of time for trying new things this season. I'll shoot you a PM