PDA

View Full Version : Alpine black bears

SR80
04-02-2021, 06:02 AM
Hey just looking for opinions or experiences, when do people start seeing bears in the alpine? Is the end of june too early for alpine bears?

madcalfe
04-02-2021, 07:24 AM
id imagine it all depends on the snowpack and weather for the year. but end of June id imagine a lot of snow should be gone and everything should be getting really green

MattW
04-02-2021, 07:53 AM
My buddies and I have a spot we go for bears that's at about 5000-5800 ft ASL. Over many years it's been well established there's no use hunting bears there until June. Even in June it's often just starting to hold bears. This is in the Clinton area.
So I guess it will really depend on the area but if you're very much higher than that I'd say it will be pretty slim pickings, even in June.

swampthing
04-02-2021, 09:35 AM
I have seen them above treeline the end of may. They like the slides like the grizz

SR80
04-03-2021, 05:45 AM
Yah i have wasted a lot of time looking in may for them up high with no luck, but with some zones being open till the end of june now has me wondering. Guess Ill just have to go and check for myself! Driving roads gets boring in the spring!

Weatherby Fan
04-03-2021, 06:45 AM
Yah i have wasted a lot of time looking in may for them up high with no luck, but with some zones being open till the end of june now has me wondering. Guess Ill just have to go and check for myself! Driving roads gets boring in the spring!

Hunting/Scouting the Alpine in June is never wasted time, if no bears you never know when you’ll see a great deer area......