PDA

View Full Version : Who`s holding out for the Big One?

sawmill
11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I`ve been going out a few hours every Sat. and Sun.,seeing a lot of deer but mostly dink bucks.The whitetail rut is coming on in a few weeks and I don`t want to punch out on a three pnt. or a little four so I`ll keep going and looking at the risk of getting skunked.I `d like to do better than last year(140 5x5)and I know if I shoot a meat buck I`ll see THE ONE a day later.Anyone else gritting their teeth and taking shit from their wives for not putting a buck in the freezer already?

Kirby
11-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm heading to the Ok with my father to chase some white-tails, anything legal is in danger for now down there but up here, I am holding for a big mule deer or a monster white-tail.

Kirby

Untouchable
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Big one or bust...
Ive been seeing lots of small bucks, but the big monsters just arent showing themselves yet, patience, and by the way Id eat tag for a long time before tagging a little guy...:lol:

sawmill
11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah,I`ve seen more big guys this year than ever but 10,000 guys chasing elk tends to scare them deep,Elk season is over and ther is hardly anyone out there now,relitively speaking.I`m hoping for some snow anytime after the long weekend(I`m pouring basements,one left to go) and then I think it will kick in.We already have the C.O ready to shoot an agressive town Mulie buck,he took a run at some folks.I`d like to help out,he is a 170+ clean 4x4.Rope his ass and drag him out of town limits!:biggrin:

todbartell
11-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I've been passing on some smaller bucks in the past couple weeks, waiting to cross paths with a mature buck. I am able to hunt 9.5 days out of the month of November, so I hope to get some fun hunting in looking for him

Ltbullken
11-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I am waiting for the monster mulie and will take any whitetail. I've seen at least 4 mulie bucks this year, all smallish. There was one contender - a 4x4 - but his antlers were inside ear distance so nothing to the warm the barrel over. Once the snow is on the ground in the high country and the fairweather hunters go low, I'll harvest the big buck, he's mine... :twisted:!

Kechika
11-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Off to the Peace Region next week.I think I'll drop the first 4 point I see:wink:

5 spike
11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
i cant wait 1 more week. it will all be over until next year, good luck to you all.

WoodOx
11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Well, I said to one or two people that this year ill eat my tag unless its a 180 or larger mulie, which of course may happen but due to lack of concentration on one area ill probably killsomething a bit smaller.

A friend of mine has a whitetail 'roped up' in a bow spot in kelowna that he says will go 140, so with a bow i figure thats good enuf

Ddog
11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
i am with you sawmill, passed several 4 point whities now all in bow range whilst out in the bush, but i stuck my meat buck on sept 2, nice big 2 point mulie. i have seen lots of spikers out there this year, and i almost arrowed one of them just because of the size of his body , but my inner self got the best of me that time and i let him walk. my treestands are up and i am getting ready for the big buck now. hopefully he comes to me this year.

calvin L
11-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I would like to think that is what I am doing but the truth is I have to many jobs around the house I am tring to finish and the wife just keeps adding more . I need to send her to Stone sheep steve's place again or big horn bob's to be retrained .

Late season archery here I come
:lol:

dana
11-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I usually hold out for a big buck till the end of the season, but I've got no time this year. Probably will pop the first legal 4 point I see just because the freezer still has a little room. ;)

todbartell
11-01-2007, 09:08 PM
and the early excuse begins! :lol:

good luck to all you guys

Will
11-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Already got one Deer in the Freezer.........so I can be abit fussy.

Probably eat my Reg 3 tag holding out for a Biggie again this year....we'll see:smile:

Gateholio
11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I have had very, very little time to hunt this year...I have had an unprecedented amount of work dropped on my lap!!!

But I have 2 weeks off, Nov 4-20, and I hope to at least be able to see a buck.:-|

StoneChaser
11-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm low on deer meat, so am lowering the bar this year...here are my new minimums:

Mulies - 205" typical

Whitetail - 185" typical

These new realistic numbers should allow me to actually kill a buck this season after passing up many much larger bucks these past few years!

Will
11-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Mulies - 205" typical

Whitetail - 185" typical

These new realistic minimums should allow a little meat on the game pole this year...finally!
Well come on now............
Don't sell yourself short.....lottsa time left for something "decent" :rolleyes:

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
I want it all!

I'm out to find an "anything" buck this weelend, then I got 4 more days to chase Mr. Big.

hunter1947
11-02-2007, 05:06 AM
When you live on the island and you go over to the mainland for your one or two week hunting trip ,you drive 10hr or whatever time you need to get into whitetail country. You can't hold out for Mr big ,the first part of your trip you could hold off for a week ,but as time winds down ,you take whatever comes your way ,or you go home with O. The people that live were there are whitetail ,can hold out and wait for Mr big ,because the whitetail are right in there neck of the woods ,you people are lucky to live in an area that carries whitetail mulies and elk :smile:.

Sitkaspruce
11-02-2007, 07:41 AM
With an elk in the freezer and two deer tags burning a hole in my pocket, I think I wil take the first decent two point that comes along, and then hold out for one of them bigger Island deer.

Mr. Dean
11-02-2007, 08:06 AM
H47;

Hey! you got the Halibut though.... A guy that lives in the LM (me!) is stuck in the middle of where all the action happens. :-(

Seeadler
11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Might hold out for a few days on a mule deer, but it looks like i will only have around 5-6 days to chase them, so might take the first solid 4 point that I come across.

For whitetail, I am going to look for a nice tender spike or else nothing less than a decent 4 point. No basket buck for me.

Need meat in the freezer after getting skunked on elk.

Tikka7mm
11-02-2007, 10:18 AM
When you live on the island and you go over to the mainland for your one or two week hunting trip ,you drive 10hr or whatever time you need to get into whitetail country. You can't hold out for Mr big ,the first part of your trip you could hold off for a week ,but as time winds down ,you take whatever comes your way ,or you go home with O. The people that live were there are whitetail ,can hold out and wait for Mr big ,because the whitetail are right in there neck of the woods ,you people are lucky to live in an area that carries whitetail mulies and elk :smile:.

Hey hunter1947

I agree with you being from the island. I drove about 10 -12 hours from the island up to Cranbrook for Elk/whitey trip with my buddies this year. We saw a few shooters (Elk) but they were just too far away. And the elk weren't really talking to eachother ( late rut). We all agreed we wouldn't shoot any spikes or forks unless we weren't seeing much action and we had no meat in camp. After 6 days of no Elk in camp between 6 guys we were all ready to get anything half decent. We managed to bag 5 deer between six guys only one of which was a spike. This was my first opportunity for whitey's so I really didn't want to shoot a spike. Luckily I spotted a half decent 3x3 mid way through the trip. I didn't see a bigger one the rest of the trip with the exception of one other in camp. So I was happy to take him when I did. Even though we really don't have it that bad here on the island it would be nice to live in area where there where some bigger ungulates. Our Elk are nice but to get a tag for one is pretty tough.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Any whitetail with 4 pts or better that walks under my stand is in trouble. Sask will be a different story(hopefully).
Need 3 deer for the freezer. Still got room for 2 more.

SSS

BCBairdo
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I have no more room in the freezer so holding out for a big one again...probably means deer tag soup but gotta set the bar high if you want to get something decent.

BCB

GoatGuy
11-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I would like to think that is what I am doing but the truth is I have to many jobs around the house I am tring to finish and the wife just keeps adding more . I need to send her to Stone sheep steve's place again or big horn bob's to be retrained .

bwhahahahahahaahahaha............................. . when's all your gear gonna be on sale?:-P:-P:-P

BCrams
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't have a heck of a lot of time to hunt deer this year so I am sure I will just take any decent buck I can find.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Cal-She probably hid all of your rifles anyhow. After this spring she learned that rifles lead to taxidermy bills and bows do not:lol::lol:.

Send her over and I'll dial her in!
Actually.....on second thought maybe you'd better not as I may end up with a $hitload of renos to do:-(.

SSS

daycort
11-02-2007, 01:55 PM
got my mule deer earlier and have a whitetail tag left.

155" or bigger for the bow and 170" or bigger for the rifle.

eastkoot
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I've had orders to get a good whitetail eater so I have a few days left before the rut.. Wife says to kill one soon or it won't be good except for sausage so this weekend is it for the meat buck to hit the ground. Don't tell her but I've let a few walk cause I want some horn too!!!* Muleys are moving into the Grasmere area now as well..

hunter1947
11-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey hunter1947

I agree with you being from the island. I drove about 10 -12 hours from the island up to Cranbrook for Elk/whitey trip with my buddies this year. We saw a few shooters (Elk) but they were just too far away. And the elk weren't really talking to eachother ( late rut). We all agreed we wouldn't shoot any spikes or forks unless we weren't seeing much action and we had no meat in camp. After 6 days of no Elk in camp between 6 guys we were all ready to get anything half decent. We managed to bag 5 deer between six guys only one of which was a spike. This was my first opportunity for whitey's so I really didn't want to shoot a spike. Luckily I spotted a half decent 3x3 mid way through the trip. I didn't see a bigger one the rest of the trip with the exception of one other in camp. So I was happy to take him when I did. Even though we really don't have it that bad here on the island it would be nice to live in area where there where some bigger ungulates. Our Elk are nice but to get a tag for one is pretty tough. Very true ,it is ,but at least you come home with some meat ,good for your party ,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifwayne,

wjh131
11-02-2007, 06:07 PM
yup, saw a very nice 6x6 on the first day of rifle season but passed him up. Stoopid. I've seen him 4 times after that but always after legal light. Maybe sunday.

Brambles
11-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Yup, freezer is full of lots of wild meat, I'm holding out for a 170 minimum Mulie, our season closes on Nov 10th so not much time left, passed up a few 4 points already in the 130-145 class, still no sightings of hogs. Deer are starting to move more during the day but all our snow is basically gone. Going to hunt Kamloops region again this year for a week after the season closes here.

I would like a 135-140 whitetail but that will have to wait till after mulie season finishes or one commits suicide by stepping out unexpectidly

ARC
11-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Heading up north next week. I will try to hold out for a wall hanger the first 5 or 6 days. Last day or two I will likely take any decent 4 point, whitey and/or mulie.

mark
11-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Yup, freezer is full of lots of wild meat, I'm holding out for a 170 minimum Mulie, our season closes on Nov 10th so not much time left, passed up a few 4 points already in the 130-145 class, still no sightings of hogs. Deer are starting to move more during the day but all our snow is basically gone. Going to hunt Kamloops region again this year for a week after the season closes here.

I would like a 135-140 whitetail but that will have to wait till after mulie season finishes or one commits suicide by stepping out unexpectidly

Exactly what he said is right about where im at! :lol:

77hunt
11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
yep holding out for the big mule deer passed on a 155-60 buck while hunting elk. was thinking mabey that was a bad idea because i have seen four other smaller 4x4's but yesterday finally got a good look at my dream buck looks to be 175-180+ seems pretty spooky at the moment i will keep my eye on him. need some snow to get the rut going and take his mind off of his suroundings.this buck dose not get any higher in the mountains hope the snow pushes him down but i will hike to the very top to get a crack at him
good luck to all !!!!!

Brambles
11-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Exactly what he said is right about where im at! :lol:

Great minds do think alike8-):lol:

sawmill
11-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Passed on a small 5x5 this morning on the way to work,I am going to get kicked out of the house if I don`t smarten up.I have a little overnighter hunt planned this weekend on the kootenay River in my canoe,see some non-road country for a change and maybe get a little goose action as wall.Sounds like it`s gonna be cold and wet though,oh well,bad day in the bush is better than a whole friggen weekend doing chores the wife has in mind!:eek:

bc-shedder
11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
well i was until october14th showed it to me early lol

Fisher-Dude
11-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Great minds do think alike8-):lol:

What's that other saying..."Fools seldom differ"? :lol::lol:

I managed to pop one nice mulie buck so far (about 150ish), and a small meat buck a week before that, so I just may keep the finger off the trigger when we go to Reg 5 for my buddy's moose draw unless a bigger one steps out. Although, those sausages taste SO goooood...

Mr. Dean
11-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Tomorrow night I leave. I'll have till Tuesday morning to bring the Big One DOWN!

It WILL happen.... Stay tuned for pic's.

Steeleco
11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Tomorrow night I leave. I'll have till Tuesday morning to bring the Big One DOWN!

It WILL happen.... Stay tuned for pic's.

Ya Ya Ya, just bring down the first legal one and don't be so picky!!!! :shock: