PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun slug for big game

N¡ck
03-31-2021, 08:22 AM
Can't seem to find an answer besides it's illegal. No explanation on why or the reasoning behind the rule.

Why is it illegal to kill moose, elk, goat, etc with a shotgun slug?? If an arrow can, surely a slug can as well...

adriaticum
03-31-2021, 08:29 AM
Probably because the accuracy of a shotgun is not as great at ranges you need to shoot a moose or elk.

N¡ck
03-31-2021, 08:37 AM
But if you can get close enough with a bow you can do the same with a shotgun.

Jagermeister
03-31-2021, 11:04 AM
But if you can get close enough with a bow you can do the same with a shotgun.
That's sound logic but I think slug choice negate the logic. The only slug that comes to mind are the Brenneke which are scarce as hen's teeth. But if you are adamant and think that it warrants a try, join your local R&G and see if you can garner support. If you can, then make a motion at the club level to present a resolution to the BCWF. Good Luck.

IronNoggin
03-31-2021, 11:06 AM
Probably because the accuracy of a shotgun is not as great at ranges you need to shoot a moose or elk.

https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

Literally - where the hell do you get this stuff from?

Modern rifle barreled shotguns with scopes are accurate FAR beyond the range of any bow.
Reality.

Your suggestion? Not so much...

Nog

N¡ck
03-31-2021, 11:21 AM
Just to be clear I'm not saying I want to use slugs.
I'm just wondering why and the reasons behind the rule. I'm trying to find information about it but can't seem to find anything. The only thing I find is "its illegal", there has to be a reason why and not just "because that's the way it is" kind of answer.
I'm just curious that's all.

Ridgehunter604
03-31-2021, 12:52 PM
You can use them on deer and bear so my guess would be that the heavier hide on a moose or elk wouldn’t allow for good penetration.

adriaticum
03-31-2021, 01:11 PM
#1 Accuracy
#2 Especially if you want to use buckshot the penetration is not good.
Moose hide is thicker than deer.

But I'm sure you could find a guide to take you out on a shotgun hunt for moose.
Just don't tell anyone ;)

Noggin, couldn't hit a jumbo jet with a slug gun even if it had GPS navigated heat seeking projectiles.

adriaticum
03-31-2021, 01:13 PM
Typically also, you don't really get the whys in the regulations.
If you keep answering every why, you could be in for a while.

IronNoggin
03-31-2021, 02:06 PM
#1 Accuracy
#2 Especially if you want to use buckshot the penetration is not good.
Moose hide is thicker than deer.

Noggin, couldn't hit a jumbo jet with a slug gun even if it had GPS navigated heat seeking projectiles.

The question was slugs. Apparently you still suffer from a serious lack of reading comprehension.

BTW: Any time you wish to challenge my accuracy with any hunting tool, step right up.
Be more than happy to serve you a well earned lesson in humility. :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

adriaticum
03-31-2021, 02:23 PM
The question was slugs. Apparently you still suffer from a serious lack of reading comprehension.

BTW: Any time you wish to challenge my accuracy with any hunting tool, step right up.
Be more than happy to serve you a well earned lesson in humility. :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Hopefully there will be a chance some time to calm your post-pubescent energy.

MRP
03-31-2021, 02:43 PM
Because is a government thing, they don't have to have any reason.
It's stupid that a 12g rifled barrel shoting sabot rifle bullets can't be used for moose.

Drillbit
03-31-2021, 02:58 PM

Just wondering....
Aren't you the guy that posted a video of yourself missing a deer? with duallie

Drillbit
03-31-2021, 03:00 PM
Can't seem to find an answer besides it's illegal. No explanation on why or the reasoning behind the rule.

Why is it illegal to kill moose, elk, goat, etc with a shotgun slug?? If an arrow can, surely a slug can as well...

I always wonder why you can't put more than 2 in the magazine of a shotgun. Who cares how fast you get your limit.

Seems like the over-under guys had their bottom lips out on that one.

adriaticum
03-31-2021, 03:02 PM
Just wondering....
Aren't you the guy that posted a video of yourself missing a deer? with duallie

Yes, it was me.
Misjudged the distance, new gun, new scope.
It was ugly.
But I never saw a bigger muley after that.
In fact there were 2-3 muleys in that group that I would kill for.

604Stalker
03-31-2021, 07:34 PM
Ima just jack this thread right here their not making anything "more legal" way things look we have alot less opertunity comming. Also I got 10 bucks and a 6 of luckey on iron v adriat whos taking the action for us all profits go to gight c21

MOOSE MILK
03-31-2021, 07:55 PM
Difference between a rifle and a gun is a rifle has rifling and a (shot) gun is a smooth bore.
Therefore a rifled .75 cal. should be considered a big rifle.

IronNoggin
04-01-2021, 12:33 PM

It is already MUCH calmer than one such as yourself who is still hoping to simply get through puberty... :roll:

Invitation stands. Going to enjoy this very much... https://www.tnof.ca/data/assets/smilies/smiley-inviting-for-a-fight.png

Nog

adriaticum
04-01-2021, 02:20 PM
It is already MUCH calmer than one such as yourself who is still hoping to simply get through puberty... :roll:

Invitation stands. Going to enjoy this very much... https://www.tnof.ca/data/assets/smilies/smiley-inviting-for-a-fight.png

Nog

I never wanted to grow up.
FYI.

IronNoggin
04-01-2021, 02:45 PM
I never wanted to grow up.
FYI.

It certainly shows... :roll:

Nog

steel_ram
04-02-2021, 09:05 AM
I've shot a fair amount of Blacktails with slugs. Found the 1 oz Foster style shoot well out of my smooth bore 870. They do knock the deer down well, but the soft slugs pancake out and commonly don't penetrate all the way through if any bone is hit. Interestingly, they deform less and penetrate deeper out past 50 yards. Can't speak for those fancy copper sabot slugs.

The Hermit
04-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Hummm I have no idea but perhaps the regulation was put in place decades before modern shotguns and rifled slugs improved accuracy? I carry a Defender while in G-Bear country and well if a CO wants to take issue after I save myself in an attack I'd be okay explaining myself to a judge.

604Stalker
04-02-2021, 10:25 PM
We're way off topic ... My moneys on no reg change... And nog

N¡ck
05-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Of what I can deduct here, there is no real reason for this regulation. It's just one of those "that's the way it is" kind of rule.

Keta1969
05-01-2021, 09:42 AM
Just wondering. Why use a shotgun when you can use a rifle. For larger game the rifle is more efficient.

MOOSE MILK
05-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Probably when the "RULES" were made up there were no "rifled shotguns" only smooth bore shotguns which was the definition of a "shotgun" back then.
I can take my .75 cal. smooth bore flintlock out and shoot a moose, I see no reason why a modern rifled "shotgun" is illegal.
At is an oxymoron to call a rifled firearm a shotgun.

Gateholio
05-03-2021, 05:28 PM
It's a very old rule, but it's one of those rules that doesn't make much sense to put any effort into changing.

180grainer
05-03-2021, 05:57 PM
I always wonder why you can't put more than 2 in the magazine of a shotgun. Who cares how fast you get your limit.

I think it's about sportsmanship. Might be wrong.

gutpile
05-06-2021, 03:01 AM
In Ontario you can hunt moose with a shotgun !
The law should be changed if you can hunt with a bow then why not with a shotgun ,
what about muzzleloader it's like a shotgun .