PDA

View Full Version : Bear with worms in cavity ok to eat?

7mmWSM
11-01-2007, 11:41 AM
So I dumped a bear last weekend, nice 5'6 blackie with white chest patch (bow and rifle combo with my Dad) and he had 8-10" long worms in his cavity. Is this meat still ok? Sorta grossed me out, they look like long earthworms. I'll post a pic of them if it helps.

pupper
11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
yah post some pics, I have never seen them.

I would understand if you would lose your appetite. but Supposodely if you cook the meat at a high enough temp for long enough you can kill the worms. Good luck:shock:

11-01-2007, 12:06 PM
You are describing nematodes, otherwise known as roundworms. They are disgusting, and hard to kill. They may not be in the meat, but honestly, I would not eat the bear.

Drachen Jager
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Here's some pictures of common worms.

http://www.thelifetree.com/gallery.htm

The following link shows some of what can happen if worms go untreated, following this link may be hazardous to your eyeballs (you'll want to pour some bleach in them to get them clean afterwards). Remember you can never un-see something.

Consider yourself warned.

http://www.curezone.com/image_gallery/parasites/

MichelD
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Not a problem.

Common in some places.

The first bear I got in October of 1976 had a few in the throat and I asked the CO about it and he said they weren't a problem and you can't catch them or catch anything from them. You don't eat 'em anyway.

Been hunting and eating bears for the last 31 years with no worries, a few nematodes now and again or not.

Wildman
11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldnt eat it............specially after that post of Drachen Jager's. GROSS!!!

Will
11-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I wouldnt eat it............specially after that post of Drachen Jager's. GROSS!!!
Man I thought I had a pretty "solid" fortitude for Gross stuff.........
Some of that was Simply disgusting, Thanks :?

I'd sooner eat my own stool then an animal infested with worms......:shock:

Derp
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
hahah, eatin' poop

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd sooner eat my own stool then an animal infested with worms......:shock:

So when someone says "Eat $hit Will", you take it literally? :-?

Will
11-01-2007, 01:23 PM
So when someone says "Eat $hit Will", you take it literally? :-?
Well if given the choice between my Poo and eating some big, giant, a$$ worms from some stinky rotten old bear then I guess so...
...at least I know where my Ars has been:wink:

MB_Boy
11-01-2007, 01:40 PM
I'll post a pic of them if it helps.

7mm.....if you can, post up some pics.

wolverine
11-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Man, I wouldn't eat that sucker. Too much good meat out there to be eating worm infested critters. I'd leave that one at the Coyote lunch counter.

Drachen Jager
11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
"I wouldnt eat it............specially after that post of Drachen Jager's. GROSS!!!"

"Man I thought I had a pretty "solid" fortitude for Gross stuff.........
Some of that was Simply disgusting, Thanks :???:"

I just did a google for "parasite worms pictures", believe me I was as alarmed as you guys. I can't think how I could have worded my warning more strongly though. :tongue:

Who's for some Chow Mein tonight?

7mmWSM
11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I'll post up pics, but it will take me a while as my friend has them on his camera. I did look on the Ministry website, they have a handout on wildlife disease and under roundworms it says that you can eat the meat but you have to cook it thoroughly. If i do eat this guy it will all be sausage anyways so I guess that takes care of that but will a butcher handle meat if it had worms? For the record the worms were in the cavity, no where in the meat.

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Don't worry about it. Take him in and drop him off - Bob's yer uncle!

What kind of sausage are you thinking?

7mmWSM
11-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I've always like the pepperoni my butchers done, and the smoke ukranians make really good hunting lunches. Then there is the beer sausage for weekday sandwiches, and maybe some smokies for BBQ's.

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Careful... you're goin to get Steeleco's mouth juices flowin. ;) :lol:

BlacktailStalker
11-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah thats pretty rank stuff man,
even if they're dead, doesnt mean they're gone. I wouldnt knowingly eat dead worms in my meat.

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Next time around I'm gonna try the Ukranians also.

guntech
11-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I didn't see any mention of the worst worm of all which inhabits pork and BEARS... Trichinosis - untreated will kill you.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/trichinosis/fact_sheet.htm

Cook your bear meat well done and there are no problems...

hunter1947
11-01-2007, 04:51 PM
A person i was hunting with shot one years ago ,it had a ball of worms in the chest cavity. The worms from this ball weren't into the meat. The person eat the meat ,he had no problem's.

pupper
11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
those worm pics are sick:eek:

eastkoot
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Mr Dean..
Bob, your uncle, now has worms !:cool:

mcrae
11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Read this if it works. Most bears in my area have worms they will not effect the meat.....

http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/bear_filarial_worm.htm

Wildman
11-01-2007, 05:47 PM
"I wouldnt eat it............specially after that post of Drachen Jager's. GROSS!!!"

"Man I thought I had a pretty "solid" fortitude for Gross stuff.........
Some of that was Simply disgusting, Thanks :???:"

I just did a google for "parasite worms pictures", believe me I was as alarmed as you guys. I can't think how I could have worded my warning more strongly though. :tongue:

Who's for some Chow Mein tonight?

awwwwwww, im sitting at my desk, working late eating spaghetti....mmmm

sawmill
11-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I quit eating bear when I butchered one that had long white thread worms crawling out of the roast I was trimming.I can`t eat something thats already getting eaten.I don`t hunt bears anymore cause you have to take the edible portions home and as far as I`m concerned,THERE ARE`NT ANY!:eek:

wolverine
11-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I didn't see any mention of the worst worm of all which inhabits pork and BEARS... Trichinosis - untreated will kill you.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/trichinosis/fact_sheet.htm

Cook your bear meat well done and there are no problems...
You're right. Trichinosis is the worst and it can be present in bear meat however I don't believe there has ever been a case of Trichinosis from bear meat reported in this Province...still.....I cook it well done. No sense in being the first.

Mtn Wonderer
11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUY'S BUT ANYTHING THAT HAS WORMS LIKE THAT AINT GETTING MY TABLE, THOU'S PICS, ugggly!!!~

Fozzie
11-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Wolverine, your wrong on that one! As a core instructor back in the 80's, the MOE sent me a phamplet about infected meat containing trichinosis due to the death of a man in the Vancouver area who was contaiminated with trichinosis. At that time they suggested to freeze the meat for a lenghty period and when cooking it to cook it well.

mcrae
11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't want to pop your guys bubbles but most wildgame has some form of parasitic organism. Most deer,elk,etc are just as likely to have "worms" as any bear out there. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Just use common sense like others have suggested and cook it to proper internal temp's...

hunter1947
11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
The reason bears have more worms then any other wild game animal ,is because there scavengers.

Marc
11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
This isn't necessarily true with bears. The worms he is describing as actually passed on by black flies and are harmless to humans. All the bears I've shot so far on the Island have had them and I've eaten everyone of them. The worms live in the slimy connective tissue and not inside the muscle. Most are found in the body cavity. If you look hard enough you'll find them. The only bears that I've seen shot and haven't seen any worms so far have been bears from the Cariboo.

http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases/dirofilaria_ursi_image1l.jpg

Hosts, Transmission and Life Cycle

Adult D. ursi worms tend to occur beneath the skin in the area of the neck and groin, and in the connective tissues (http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/glossary.htm#Connective%20tissue) around the aorta, kidneys, and rectum.

Adult female worms produce motile larvae called microfilaria (http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/glossary.htm#Microfilaria) measuring 0.19 to 0.29 mm in length that enter the circulatory system of the bear where they remain until ingested by a blackfly.

Following a 2-week period within the blackfly, larvae become infective to bears. Larvae enter the new host as the fly begins taking a blood meal.

Larvae migrate to preferred locations within bears where they mature and eventually mate.

A 7-month period of time is required for the female worms to produce microfilaria (http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/glossary.htm#Microfilaria) and complete the life cycle.

Signs and Symptoms

Adult D. ursi worms are white and slender and can range in size from 5 to 22 cm long.

D. ursi does not appear to cause disease in bears or other species.

Meat Edible?

Infection with D. ursi does not affect the quality of the meat.

Human Health Concerns and Risk Reduction

There are no reports of any adverse reactions in humans bitten by blackflies containing microfilaria (http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/glossary.htm#Microfilaria).

While rare, infection with D. ursi, resulting in the formation of small, subcutaneous (http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/glossary.htm#Subcutaneous) nodules (http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/glossary.htm#Nodule), has been reported in humans.

The reason bears have more worms then any other wild game animal ,is because there scavengers.

browningboy
11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
If I came across that, it would be coyote food, even if its good, stomach says no damn way! ;-)

Marc
11-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Then my advice to you is don't hunt bears because the odds are against you of getting one that doesn't have any type of worm in it.

If I came across that, it would be coyote food, even if its good, stomach says no damn way! ;-)

7mmWSM
11-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Well Gentlemen,

Here are the promised pictures of said worms. Anybody changing their opinion? I also included a pic of the handsome fellow. Not me the bear.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/pfast5600/SimonHunting110.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/pfast5600/SimonHunting122.jpg

Will
11-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Here are the promised pictures of said worms. Anybody changing their opinion?
Nope.........I'd leave that whole pile for the Buzzards.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/puke.gif

Nice Looking Bear though:smile:

mrdoog
11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Worms are everywhere, you're only kidding yourself if you think you haven't ingested a portion during your lifetime.
Not to mention insects and rodent fesces.
If you like your worms live, go have some sushi.

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Worms are everywhere, you're only kidding yourself if you think you haven't ingested a portion during your lifetime.
If you like your worms live, go have some sushi.

Ain't that a fact!

I don't do bait. :-P

If the meats is well cared for; I'll gladly take that bear off your hands.

Steeleco
11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Careful... you're goin to get Steeleco's mouth juices flowin. ;) :lol:
The bear sounds like scrap, I'll be right over!!!

OK so I saw the picture AFTER my first post. Those be tape worms. IMHO they will have NO effect on the meat. Enjoy your sausage's!!

Steeleco
11-02-2007, 12:05 AM
If the meats is well cared for; I'll gladly take that bear off your hands.

Now who's drooling, HUH!!!! :roll:

MB_Boy
11-02-2007, 10:27 AM
7mm.......I sent your pic off to someone who has a very good knowledge in Parasitology. Without a scale of the size of the worms....ie. a quarter in the pic it is tough to tell for sure, but here is his response to me via e-mail.

If in body cavity they are likely a nematode and as you mentioned, flies – not black flies but mosquitoes – it is called Dirofilaria ursi . Have fond them at Northern ON and lasy year aso here in MB – have been working with a researcher in US on this - what troubles me is the size and colour of what you sent – the parasite is generally white and about 3-4 inches long – these look darker and longer – are they sure they were from the abdominal cavity – ask the question – abdominal cavity, lung cavity or was bear shot n gut and they escape from digestive tract to the abdominal cavity???

I have already asked the key question which he did NOT answer and that was if there should be any problems with edibility. But there are a couple of questions for you right at the end of his message.

wolverine
11-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Wolverine, your wrong on that one! As a core instructor back in the 80's, the MOE sent me a phamplet about infected meat containing trichinosis due to the death of a man in the Vancouver area who was contaiminated with trichinosis. At that time they suggested to freeze the meat for a lenghty period and when cooking it to cook it well.
Hey Fozzie,
You sure that was bear meat? I know there have been reported cases of trich but it's all been from under cooked pork, not game meat. But, that was a couple of years ago and there certainly could have been a case of it since then.....Whatever the case, I freeze it first for a few weeks before I use it and then I cook it well done. And there's no way in hell I'll eat worm meat.:wink:

7mmWSM
11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
MB thanks for the diligence. The bear was shot through the lung cavity, digestive tract was completely untouched by bullet or knife. We only noticed the worms when we were about to walk away, and our first view of them was as you see in the pic, so we assumed that they had come out of the abdominal cavity. I know the scale is hard to read, but those worms are at least 8-10" long.

MichelD
11-02-2007, 11:43 AM
In a similar vein, I got an elk a month ago and the liver was so laden with liver flukes that I discarded it.

The elk there share habitat with sheep and other domestic animals and the farmer whose land I had permission to hunt on said they treat their animals for the flukes, but of course they don't treat the wild animals.

He said the liver fluke was common and expected in elk there.

I'd never seen such a diseased liver; it had a hard crusty clump in the middle of it that looked like a fist sized oyster shell and was spotted all over with white and yellow spots.

The meat was fine and the animal appeared otherwise completely healthy.

MB_Boy
11-02-2007, 11:47 AM
I shot a moose once in Northern MB that was the same way Michel. Kinda ruined my favourite meal after putting down a moose......mmm....fresh liver.

MichelD
11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I missed that too.

When my buddy had the Gold River elk draw two years go, we ran into Fossey dressing out his son's elk and he gave us half the liver and then my buddy got his cow too and only ate one meal of it (due to doctor's orders not to eat liver) , so I got to take most of it home.

Jeez was that good!

browningboy
11-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Then my advice to you is don't hunt bears because the odds are against you of getting one that doesn't have any type of worm in it.

I don't hunt bear so no worries here.:cool:

Will
11-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Yes true enough but nobodies talking about some microscopic bug or Rat turd noone can see.....;)

Knowingly eating a 10" long Parasitic Gut worm is an entirely different kinda Gross ;)

FWIW: I have personnally shot and been involved with the harvest pf probably close to 30-40 bears ?? Maybe more?.........I have only ever actually seen worms in one of them;-)

MB_Boy
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
7mm.....here is the response when I sent your reply back to the "source".

They are not the the filaroid I was thinking off and this is why I was a little skeptical when looking at pics - tough to make a diagnosis from photo and no tape measure next to them but based on photo of lung I was guessing 8 or so inches. Just looking at them I am thinking that they have to have come from the digestive tract - having said that they will not affect edibility of the meat. But tell them to be sure an cook meat well as we had cases last year in Canada of folks eating improperly cooked bear meat and they got trichinosis - and this is a serious one

Well there you have it....sort of. Sausages are served!! "Bear" in mind he is making the call from pictures and not with the questionalble animal right in front of him.

Interesting in that I knew that trichinosis had not been seen in some time but the "source" works closely with wildlife diseases so in his circles he would know......I hope.:wink:

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2007, 02:00 PM
FWIW: I have personnally shot and been involved with the harvest pf probably close to 30-40 bears ?? Maybe more?.........I have only ever actually seen worms in one of them;-)

What's worse than finding a worm in a bear roast?

Finding half a worm in a bear roast!;)

Sharkey
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I dunno - personally I don't think I could eat meat from an animal that I saw worms in. Eating it unknowingly is a different story. What you don't know won't kill you - usually.
~D

Wildman
11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Nice bear.......how big was he? I couldn't see it until I saved the pic onto my own computer and lightened it....looks decent anyways.

7mmWSM
11-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Wildman, thanks the bear went 5'6, and weighed a ton. Had a lot of fat on him. Beautiful fur with a nice white chest patch. Don't know what the skull measurement is because I don't know how to measure it, and my Dad took the hide to the tanner already.

Archer
11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I've eaten several bears with worms like that in their abdominal cavity, and never had a problem. As said already, just freeze it for a while and cook it well done. I'll be eating the last roast from my Alberta spring bear next weekend, and I'll be sad when its gone. Nice looking bear, congrats. Any exciting story to go with it?

MB_Boy
11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
7mm.......apparently "CSI MB" is still on the case for you. ;-)

I had this e-mail come to me today. (sorry about the "broken-english"....but you get the point)

Did some more looking and because of the size of the worms (8-10 inches) they had to be an ascarid – the same genus of the worm that is carried by raccoons and we are looking at in Wpg right now – major problems if young children ingest dirt with these worms – call me if you want the details – if one ingested eggs you are a vegetable for life – this is why I always had lid on san boxes and you have heard me talk about this - the one in coons is called Baylisascaris proyconis – the one is bears is B. transfuga. These are nasty worms if you ingest eggs – of all autopsies I have done on bears have never seen this one – it is in gut – suspect that the folks that shot the bear either shot it in gut and did not notice or tore the gut and did not notice or, when they removed the gut and cut oesophagus the worms migrated up the gut as it cooled and ended up n snow (looks like snow). Bottom line is they do not affect edibility of meat

Mr. Dean
11-06-2007, 10:34 AM
.... I'm STILL willing to take it off your hands.