PDA

View Full Version : warmest sleeping bag

Barracuda
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I am in the market for a sleeping bag and i am looking for the warmest bag with lots of room. not to worried about weight just warmth as i tend to freeze easily(I hate the cold). I need a tall bag and preferably not a mummy bag cabelas has some nice looking bags that seem large enough and i was looking at this one http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006310514944a&type=product&cmCat=cchart_slp_bgs

anyone else have any ideas?

270WIN
11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I bought mine at candian tire paid 110.00 for it. rated for -15 and i find it nice and warm and big sorry the name has slipped me but it comes in a green bag about 3 feet long for starage

MB_Boy
11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
I have one similar to that.......but if you want to really stay warm ensure that it has a fleece type liner. I have one that I drag away on the boat that is a "double" and it is tall, but I would have preferred fleece lining as opposed to the "cheapy" sort of cotton material it is lined with.

I have a really warm I use when hunting in MB and it is definitely FAR from compact but warm as hell. I think the brand was "Woods" or "3 Stars"??? I can see the label on the carrying bag, but can't remember the name. Big heavy canvas on the oustide and LOTS of insulation.

270WIN
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
MB BOY thanks you reminded me mine is made by wood too

Brambles
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Some manufacturers rate their bags "survival temp" and some companies rate them "comfort temp"

it can change the rating of the bag somewhere's around 9 degrees Celcius.

so a bag that is rated -9 deg but rated "survival is actually 0 deg "comfort" at least the one I bought was.

Normally the manufacturer's don't advertise what rating they are using so you have to talk to a dealer or dig a little.

Barracuda
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
The rateing systems you mentioned makes sense.
I just returned a bag that i can only assume is rated at a survival rateing of -14 it only got to 0 and i froze my but off:cry:. the only logic i could come up with is that the bag will make you feel like it is -14:shock: no matter what the conditions.
I will pay the extra money for a good bag and as i said before the weight is not really an issue it is just a matter of finding one that will suit my needs. I tend to be weather sensitive so warmth is my primary concern.

270WIN
11-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I have slept in the back of my truck under a canvas tarp and my alarm clock has a thermometer and it was down to -17 one night i had one extra fleece blanket over my sleeping bag and i was nice and warm till i had to get dress

NEEHAMA
11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
i hate the shiney slippery outershell ones. they can slip down in the night and expose your back to the cold ground.

i'm 6,4 220lbs so it's a double for me. then i bring my morning underlayers/hoodie/sox in with me so i keep it warm all night. the double allows room to dress within it.

stickbow
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I've got a outbound toaster plus I pick up last year and I love it.It's a double bag system that is rate for -40. With just the main bag it is rated to -20(i think) I've never had to use both bags together yet.It is an oversize bag measuring in @ 41"x80" and I believe the cost was around 200.00 and worth every penny.imho

frenchbar
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Iuse a Woods 3 star arctic brand. down|feather insulation with the wool liner .great sleeping bag.

harbinger
11-01-2007, 05:08 PM
hands down with out question get the woods five star. This is the bag every November hunter wants to have. Pricey but will last your life time and your kids. $500 money well spent.

BlacktailStalker
11-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I have that Woods one too, the outside is almost like a canvas and is medium brown with a fleece lining. The carry bag is green and zips up the center. It is a wicked bag for the wall tent. I actually look forward to sleeping in that bag.
Definitely not a packable one though for spike camps.
For that I use a Marmot pinnacle.

Tikka 270
11-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I bought a Outbound Toaster 9000 it's a double lined bag you can choose which layer to sleep in rated to -40 but -25 is more like it. Good quality and very comfortable.

sealevel
11-02-2007, 03:06 AM
i have had a pioneer 5 star i got it used warm and heavy. Now i have a cheap bag bought at costco i froze in it . So my wife sewed in a 4 piont hudson bay blanket inside it. now its warmer then the pioneer ever was.

kutenay
11-02-2007, 06:40 AM
I put in quite a few nights in various Wood's and Pioneer down and down/feather bags plus some synthetic ones when I was young, they sometimes were not as warm as I needed. I remember sleeping in the back of my Jeep in Dec. 1965 in the Lardeau and dam near freezing my nads off, so, I decided to get something better.

After many years and many bags, I now use synthetic bags for hunting and down bags for backpacking, for a whole lot of reasons. I am currently using an Integral Designs North Twin with the matching Andromeda Strain overbag, good for ME down to roughly -10*F, wearing only gonch and a T shirt.

This combo weighs roughly 5.75 lbs. and is VERY high quality, Canadian made gear. They also have a warmer model called the "Emporer" which, with O-bag plus a bivy should keep you warm down to -30*F without a heat source in your tent. These bags come in a wide range of sizes and will comfortably fit even big guys, I have a 48" chest and mine are the "broad" model with lots of wiggle room.

I had a tarp tear on a Chilcotin trip this past Sept., dropped about 2gal. of icy rain water on my bag, no sweat, shook it off, fixed the tarp, climbed in and slept all night, dry and warm. These are about the best heavyduty, no bullschitt bags I have ever seen.

I buy mine at Mountain Magic in Surrey, BC and while they are not "cheap", I have found Integral Designs gear to be superb quality and it lasts, so, the value is there, good for appeasing "the Boss"...... :)

Barracuda
11-02-2007, 03:25 PM
thanks for the input guys ,Kuteney where is Mountain Magic located in surrey?

kutenay
11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
It's down on King Geo. Hiway about 23rd Ave. They are in the book and are hunter friendly and the young guy there, "Scotty"KNOWS his stuff as does the owner John. There is none of this snooty punkazz Vancouver "Grouse Grind" attitude that you find in so many gear shops; they also tend to have the best prices around.

You will NOT be disappointed in ID gear, it is among the very best I have ever seen in over four decades of serious backpacking.

pupper
11-02-2007, 04:43 PM
montbell has some nice bags, I have the -18 degree super stretch system mummy bag. It keeps me very warm. ONly thing is if it is only 0 deg out you will sweat your bag off. no pun intended:)

Cedarstrip
11-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Definately not the lightest, I was given two 'Trek' bags.
Don't know the model, but they have a bag in a bag in a bag. 3 layers! Canvas/cotton outer. Probably weigh about 20-30 lbs each and pack up to about the size of a skinny garbage can.

SERIOUS sleeping bags.

I've no use for them and would like to sell them if anyone is interested and going to camp in the arctic.

dukester
11-09-2007, 08:46 PM
2 piece down army bag, coldest i have hunted with it is -5c and i only used the outter bag , used the inner as extra bedding.. you can also get a down hoodie for it and a thin linner and a gortex outter linner to keep you dry. these are made for the army for extreme out door weather conditions. they are made with huge copper zippers and sewing that i have never seen in my life that would with stand a grizzy attack in saskatchewan lol.. "Quin the Eskimoo " Saskatoon sells them.. new or used(bullet holes).. no fancy solar tin foil silk poly fiber micro thin utra fluffy fleece stuff.these are made for army and hard core hunters in bad ass weather.. If you need more info i can get. cor.

Wildfoot
11-09-2007, 09:21 PM
a mummy will be far warmer since there is less dead airspace. Look for a larger fitting mummy if you dont like it too snug. all that space by your feet in a rectangular bag is just heat sucking void.

A good 750+ fill goose down bag is the best IMO. Plastic zippers and big draft tubes and a draft yoke around the neck are essential.

BCLongshot
11-09-2007, 09:39 PM
As much as I hate sharing secrets with just anybody...dukester's right.

The Can. Forces surplus bag is absolutely incredible 1

$ 150 pick thru and you can usually find 1 almost new.

If you go somewhere cold and I mean cold - 40 this bag will keep you warm.

2 bags inner/outer and a liner. I usually can only handle 1 bag

Sunny
11-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Wal mart have -35 sleeping bag for sale only cost $150