PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Rut

Grandbois
11-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Just a quick question about the Muley/Whitetail rut around kamloops, has it started yet or will it be a few more weeks still??

Jagermeister
11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
It should be soon. I've seen bucks that were light-heartedly sparring and does getting a little territorial, but nothing too serious yet.

Grandbois
11-01-2007, 12:08 PM
cool, thanks, as you can tell, im relatively new to hunting, so i have no idea

Will
11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Lots of little Bucks running around chasing does...as reported though......another week, maybe two for the real action:wink:

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Interestingly, last weekend when I shot my meat buck in region 3, there were some larger bucks hanging with the does already. One that I saw was a reasonable 4 point with 3 does, the other was described as a "monster!" with a doe by the guy that missed it. Usually it's just the dinks with the does until a week or so from now.

mud-dog27
11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
well hopefully the action is good this weekend and into next week cause im headin up for a doe and hopefully a nice buck at the same time

wolverine
11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I got my buck up there a few weeks ago and they were he was already stinky. The bucks were hanging around the does then and we actually saw a pair breeding out in a ranchers field. It seemed early to me but they were having at it. I still don't think that the actual rut has kicked in. Going up next weekend for a Whitetail. Hope they're in rut by then. Anyone notice a lot of ticks on their deer from the Kamloops area this year? Mine had no tick that I could see but the other guys I hunt with all had lots of ticks on theirs. All came from the same spot.

Rubicon500
11-01-2007, 04:04 PM
The rutt is in full swing in Kamloops..Sightings of Steveo32 In Cactus Jacks with winch cable and a snickers bar trolling the dance floor..Thats a good of sign as any!!:lol:

MattB
11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
The rutt is in full swing in Kamloops..Sightings of Steveo32 In Cactus Jacks with winch cable and a snickers bar trolling the dance floor..Thats a good of sign as any!!:lol: Dont forget about the dolley for them ones that dont quite need the winch cable ;)

Ltbullken
11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I say in a couple weeks, we should start seeing the good rut action. The woods will also start smelling like estrus... or is that hunters using lure?!

Ltbullken
11-01-2007, 07:25 PM
The rutt is in full swing in Kamloops..Sightings of Steveo32 In Cactus Jacks with winch cable and a snickers bar trolling the dance floor..Thats a good of sign as any!!:lol:

Too easy to tag out @ CJ's, LEH NOT necessary. Try the blues bar down the road!

Grandbois
11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
one of our muleys was loaded with tics, the other we didnt see any

hunter1947
11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
The prey-rut has started right now ,don't let them kid you there there and they have started.

WoodOx
11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Theyve started rounding and hounding does. Ive heard from reliable sources (ihavent bene out in weeks) that some of the larger mulie bucks been taken have already had 10+ does with them.

I had a crazy friend of mine talk to me for 50 minutes tonight about some whitetails on his acreage that were infront of him sparring and running does.

Sounds like pre rut to me :D :wink:

Rubicon500
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Too easy to tag out @ CJ's, LEH NOT necessary. Try the blues bar down the road!
Some ppl wait years for LEH draws, I prefer my open season NO bag limit from CJ's hahaha some have pretty bad cases of mange buts thats why they have Val Trax and Penicillin :lol:

wsm
11-04-2007, 08:16 PM
saw a kam buck chasing does this weekend

WoodOx
11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
against what Istated above, I spent the weekend out and they arent rutting yet. Just getting swollen and sniffing around, lots of rubbing, scraping, and a little fighting.

Give er a week

Will
11-04-2007, 10:54 PM
against what Istated above, I spent the weekend out and they arent rutting yet. Just getting swollen and sniffing around, lots of rubbing, scraping, and a little fighting.

Give er a week
Yep........;-)

todbartell
11-05-2007, 12:04 AM
had a doe doing what I think was an estrous bleat this morning, she was calling almost non stop for 5 minutes

TriggerMag
11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
any updates on the peak of the rut, still haven't seen alot of deer herded up yet, darn weather.

WoodOx
11-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Im in region 8, but the mulie I killed last week was definatley rutting.
From what ive been told about some spots I hun tin reg 3 is that they are also rutting, but not as avtive due to warmer/drier weather.

Im sure Will or someing in 3 can give u a better idea than myself

Will
11-12-2007, 01:10 PM
any updates on the peak of the rut, still haven't seen alot of deer herded up yet, darn weather.
Yep...pretty mild here.
Deer are Rutting...lottsa little fellas around chasing does.
I seen alot of doe urine really reddish......they be in heat;)

There have been a few Big Local fellas hit the ground I've heard about though. I suspect that with the lack of snow the majority of the Big bucks are still abit higher up chasing the does that hold out there.......certainly NO snow to concentrate does down low, at least not around here....yet.
Trouble is when that finally happens the rut will be winding down....

WoodOx
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
when does it tend to be done done - end of the month? i know it winds down around the 20th but...?

Will
11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
when does it tend to be done done - end of the month? i know it winds down around the 20th but...?
Supposedly any does not bred the 1st time around will enter a 2nd cycle....I've seen Bucks still sniffing around does as late as Dec 15th here.....although I'm sure by then the Big Boys are back in the thick healing up:wink:
Prime time would be anywhere from Nov5th-25th IMO.........of course take that for what it's worth:lol:

Brambles
11-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I'll be hunting up there on Nov 15, 16, 17, and 18th so hopfully the snow arrives and the big bucks rut HARD:twisted:

Have to look at google earth and check for some places to go if my spot isn't hot.

Got a little burnt out hunting mulies at home for a month straight but now that I've had a couple days off I'm all charged up again and getting excited:biggrin: Good to see some pics of nice bucks, really gets the blood flowing.

horshur
11-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I'll be hunting up there on Nov 15, 16, 17, and 18th so hopfully the snow arrives and the big bucks rut HARD:twisted:

Have to look at google earth and check for some places to go if my spot isn't hot.

Got a little burnt out hunting mulies at home for a month straight but now that I've had a couple days off I'm all charged up again and getting excited:biggrin: Good to see some pics of nice bucks, really gets the blood flowing.

I'm thinking your timing will be good......It seems a little slow right now at least what I have seen.......looked over 4-5 groups of does yesterday no bucks with any---day before was the same. Seen one big 4 that was just busy with himself yesterday evening. Watched him for a long time his neck was swollen no doubt but he sure didn't appear to be getting any.....a few more days I'm thinking....probably when work gets busy can count on that.

Brambles
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm thinking your timing will be good......It seems a little slow right now at least what I have seen.......looked over 4-5 groups of does yesterday no bucks with any---day before was the same. Seen one big 4 that was just busy with himself yesterday evening. Watched him for a long time his neck was swollen no doubt but he sure didn't appear to be getting any.....a few more days I'm thinking....probably when work gets busy can count on that.

Now your really getting me excited, of course the area your hunting and the area I'm going to hunt are probably quite some distance apart. No secret I'm going to the Monte Lake area, family in the area so it basically dictates where I'm hunting. What kind of elevation do you figure the action is going to happen around? I shot my buck there Nov 16, 2005 @ 3800 ft and about 3:00pm but there was a decent amount of snow, even at that elevation.

BcBob
11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
We Need some weather for the rut.Not like the stuff we had today 14c with the wind pushing 70+ trees droping all over the place. If your going to hunt here bring a Chainsaw.

Brambles
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
We Need some weather for the rut.Not like the stuff we had today 14c with the wind pushing 70+ trees droping all over the place. If your going to hunt here bring a Chainsaw.

Thanks for the tip, I'll toss it in the truck along with 300 ft of rope, and chains for the truck and some sandbags for traction just incase the weather changes, in 2005 I had to chain up every morning even at the low elevations. Of course IMO diesels do suck in the snow...:roll:

Will
11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
just incase the weather changes, in 2005 I had to chain up every morning even at the low elevations.
Well you won't need chains for the lower elevs this week.....
Some precip called for thur,fri but with highs of nine in the forecast should be T-shirt weather, snow seems to be up over 4000, at least where I've been....and even then only on the northern sides mostly :wink:

Good tip on the saw...lotsa blow downs out there after today:o

Ltbullken
11-14-2007, 01:07 AM
On Friday, I saw a buck walking head low sniffing after a couple ladies. I'd say.... the rut is on. Now if I had a spotting scope to confirm antlers, he would have been mine if he had 4x4! I'm sure it was but light was low and too far away against brush to be sure.... that's hunting.

Brambles
11-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Rock on man, sounds great, LOTS of nice bucks hitting the dirt right now, hopefully a couple more for me before the seasons close. Getting excited, gonna pound the bush no matter how bad my back hurts:twisted:

horshur
11-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Lotsa deer in 10-15 year old pine blocks at mid elevation----no snow and a hard frost so tough to hunt. Pray for snow.LOL

Grandbois
11-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Ive been pounding the hills hard just n/w of kamloops the past week and have only seen a couple little bucks chasin some does, seen a few other little guys by themselves, but no shooters

brksey
11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
The rut is on, i got up here on thursday and saw half a dozen smaller bucks chasing and pushing does. I took a 6x5 sunday morning and he had two tynes broken and a nasty gash on his ribs. he was pretty stinky as well.

Grandbois
11-22-2007, 09:52 PM
these kamloops whiteys are starting to get on my nerves agghhh where are the bucks

Derek_Erickson
11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
And... A picture?

The rut is on, i got up here on thursday and saw half a dozen smaller bucks chasing and pushing does. I took a 6x5 sunday morning and he had two tynes broken and a nasty gash on his ribs. he was pretty stinky as well.

The bucks I have been seeing are slowing down, several now on the run lookin for "fresher" does if you know what I mean

Will
11-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Just to get the Hearts going............

Just got word of an honest 225 NT Buck taken right near town !!! :shock:

And Yes I've seen the pic.......without them I'd have not believed it. ;-)

Get out there....Ruts going Full On right Now ! Seen some BiG Fellas mooching around the last 2-3 days ! :wink:

brianscott
11-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I think its starting to get swinging now, I was out tonight and came across a decent 4 point with about 6 does around him there was a smaller buck nearby but the buck seemed to be keeping him away from the does.
He knew I was there but he wasnt really all that concerned, he just slowly sauntered into the trees with the does in close pursuit.
He would be on the ground if I hadnt tagged out earlier this year, hopefully i will get to see him again and maybe next year if he makes it through the season.

Derek_Erickson
11-22-2007, 10:36 PM
No big bucks in region three shhhhh

Get out there....Ruts going Full On right Now ! Seen some BiG Fellas mooching around the last 2-3 days ! :wink:

Brambles
11-23-2007, 06:56 AM

Damn, I was a week early:cry:

Will
11-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Damn, I was a week early:cry:
Maybe so..........things were abit slow to get going but I figure they will drop off quick like too:wink:
I'm going out tommorrow for one last Kick at my Reg 3 Muley:smile:

Fisher-Dude
11-23-2007, 04:17 PM

And you saw this pic without getting a copy posted up here? I've lost all faith in you Will. :icon_frow

Will
11-23-2007, 04:20 PM
And you saw this pic without getting a copy posted up here? I've lost all faith in you Will. :icon_frow
LMAO ! Yes my "Friend" was very tight about the pic as it's actually a Friend of his...........I'm expecting an E-Mail though so we'll see what I can come up with:wink:

Wildfoot
11-23-2007, 11:52 PM
was out tonight. Lots of activity. Quite a few bucks runnin down does or with their nose right up in a does business. Didnt get into bow range on any. .but got pretty close to a couple biggies!

BcBob
11-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Well thats it: I was out today i could smell and seen it with my own two eyes. The Rut is On!!

brksey
11-25-2007, 05:24 PM
http://by125w.bay125.mail.live.com/mail/SafeRedirect.aspx?hm__tg=http%3a%2f%2f65.55.130.12 1%2fatt%2fGetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d3b62f5db-0051-46aa-944a-974f68a685d8.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26nam e%3dMTExODA3MTA0OS5qcGc_3d%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0% 26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a1118071049.jpg&oneredir=1&ip=10.1.106.223&d=d3091&mf=0&dialog=1

here is a low quality pic of my buck, i used my phone its all i had. Storey and better pics to come when i get him back from the taxi.