PDA

View Full Version : New Quad Tires

Ron.C
03-24-2021, 05:17 PM
So,

Bought my quad new in 2012 and it's time to change the stock tires. Only have about 1600km on it but they were quite worn. I had looked at ITP Mud Lights as they are very common but the more I talk to guys, the more I hear they are not a great do it all tire. I looked at Kenda Bear Claws as well as they seem to have a hell of a track record. I also looked at a couple other brands.

A couple weeks back I was at the local ATV dealer asking about tires and the sales staff recommended I check out Traxxion Grippers. He said they are a Maxis Bighorn knock off but are probably one of the best tires you can get for a "do it all" tire with good wear and excellent side wall puncture resistance.

So anyhow, did some research (found lots of good feedback including some older posts from HBC) and it looked like they fit the bill. Contacted REVCO, ordered my tires in the stock size came in at juts shy of $550 delivered. Tires arrived 7 buisness days after I placed the order and had OK tire install them today.

Think I'll have to get out for a ride this weekend and test em out before bear season kicks off.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/quad3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/quad1.jpeg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/quad2.jpeg

2tins
03-24-2021, 05:22 PM
Mud Lights are great. Ive had mine since 2006. They are getting tired now but still good. Highly recommend.

Ride Red
03-24-2021, 05:24 PM
What’s the tred depth on those? I ran mud lite xl’s with great success and not one puncture, even when others around me had problems.

Ron.C
03-24-2021, 06:00 PM
What’s the tred depth on those? I ran mud lite xl’s with great success and not one puncture, even when others around me had problems.

a hair over 7/8

srupp
03-24-2021, 06:04 PM
Hmm great choice..I have those tires but studded version for winter plowing..3 full seasons no discernable wear.
I have the ITP. BAJA CROSS on separate rims for spring through fall.they were put on in 2008 still 60% tread left,never a flat..I am not an aggressive driver..
When...if the ITP. wear out..I will get another set of Traxion tires.
Going to chat with tim..he is looking for tires for his updated Honda..
Cheers
Srupp

srupp
03-24-2021, 06:10 PM
Hmm Ron..back shocks different angles ? Left tube versus right tube ?
Tires look great
Steven

.330 Dakota
03-24-2021, 06:12 PM
Mud Lites are great in the mud,,I ran 27"ers on my 700 Grizzly since 2008 and the front ones were impossible to balance. The front end of the bike literally bounced at above 25kph. These things always rode rough and bumpy. Well, last spring I wrecked a rear one, and then discovered the cords were busted in the other rear. So off to the Polaris dealer in Williams Lake and picked up a set of tires similar looking to the ones the OP here bought. Cant remember the name of them right now, but the dealer said all the ranchers run them because they are super tough. They seem to be a great (all purpose) tire

Greg3093
03-24-2021, 06:22 PM
I have the Traxion on my Honda 500 Foreman, 6000 km of hard riding on them in 2 years and they are just starting to show wear, they are an excellent do all tire, especially on hard pack or rock, mud and snow they power thru but not as good as a true mud tire. Had the ITP mud lights and they were good for up North, but here on the island they were useless for the riding our group does. We have a mix of Traxion, Bear claw and CST Ancla tires across 15 bikes, we all end up in the same spot every ride, some slower than others but they are all good tires, Traxion have less flats caused by shot rock vs the others being bias and seem to be wearing better and we ride hard on some nasty trails. You will like them. I would also recommend running them around 7-10 psi unless you are doing all road riding, then take them up to where they track how you feel comfortable as they are a hard tire being radials. We run all
Of ours in our group between those numbers and are getting great wear but the Traxion are wearing slower than the rest.

MRP
03-24-2021, 06:30 PM
So,

Bought my quad new in 2012 and it's time to change the stock tires. Only have about 1600km on it but they were quite worn. I

1600k? You driving on pavement, doing burn outs in the parking lot?

Ron.C
03-24-2021, 06:41 PM
Hmm great choice..I have those tires but studded version for winter plowing..3 full seasons no discernable wear.
I have the ITP. BAJA CROSS on separate rims for spring through fall.they were put on in 2008 still 60% tread left,never a flat..I am not an aggressive driver..
When...if the ITP. wear out..I will get another set of Traxion tires.
Going to chat with tim..he is looking for tires for his updated Honda..
Cheers
Srupp

Tim and I have a bear hunt tentatively planned for mid may in my west coast VI spot. Should be a good weekend to test out both machines.

Ron.C
03-24-2021, 06:43 PM
1600k? You driving on pavement, doing burn outs in the parking lot?

nope, Drive it like an old lady. Never been ridden on pavement and don't think its ever been over 60km/hr. Probably only been in 4x4 1/2 dozen times for short periods other than just shifting it in and out before a drive to test and lubricate everything.

95% logging roads/skidder trail with a bit of mucky stuff and broken rock. Factory Maxis tires it came had next to no tread left. I should have changed them last year but only used the quad for 1 weekend of bear hunting and never got around to it.

srupp
03-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Just chatted with Tim..good luck on bear..
Must be harder on tires on island..lots of rocks
Steven

Ron.C
03-24-2021, 08:00 PM
Must be harder on tires on island..lots of rocks

I just think the stock tires were soft, garbage tires and if I rode more or harder probably would have been changing them way sooner. There was 3/16" of tread remaining " on the center tread" of the rear and 1/4" on the fronts of my old rubber. Was ok putting down a skidder trail or logging road but any incline with loose gravel, any mud, any bare rock they were useless and had been like this for a couple years.

From everything I've heard/read and the amount and style of riding I do, these new radial Traxion tires should be the ticket!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Tires.jpg

tipper
03-24-2021, 08:44 PM
I've run these for 3 maybe 4 years now and they are awesome. Haven't had a flat yet and tread is barely worn down. Good choice!

Downwindtracker2
03-24-2021, 08:53 PM
I put a set Big Horns on. Last fall they surprised me at how well they handled the mud. I went down a few trails I shouldn't have. On gravel as expected, they are great. That same year I bought new truck tires, I forget which were more expensive. It was close.

If yours do as well, you will be pretty happy.

srthomas75
03-24-2021, 09:20 PM
I have those same knock offs. but they aren't Traxxion , I think they are G Force or something? But I've had them 8 or 10 years and they haven't given me any grief.

wallz
03-26-2021, 08:54 AM
I ran a few sets of the Bighorns on the UTV, and frankly, too many torn, flat tires. They sucked. I did not enjoy the tread pattern either, and those Traxions are too close to the same pattern.

I went to the EFX Moto MTC tires last summer. Way better of a tire, bit more aggressive, yet ride nice on the hard pack trails.
https://revco.ca/efx-motomtc-tire/

ACE
03-26-2021, 09:09 AM
​Kenda 'Bear Claw EVO' . . . .

REMINGTON JIM
03-26-2021, 09:23 AM
I'm gonna try these ITP Mud Litr XTR tires on my Polaris 570 there 27 " tall with 1.13 thread depth ! Any one have them ? RJ

https://revco.ca/itp-mud-lite-xtr-tire/

RE1960
03-26-2021, 09:28 AM
I put maxis Bighorn on my quad 10 years ago , they still look almost new .

REMINGTON JIM
03-26-2021, 09:50 AM
Tim and I have a bear hunt tentatively planned for mid may in my west coast VI spot. Should be a good weekend to test out both machines.

Your Kodiak should get around REAL Good now with those new GRIPPER's - your old tires were JUNK for Sure ! RJ

Ron.C
03-26-2021, 09:56 AM
Like I said in my initial post, I don't ride hard so take my evaluation for what it is.

I took it out for a ride last night. Right off the start I found the ride super hard and stopped pretty early to check my tire pressure. Tire shop had 14 psi in them. Dropped them to 10, rode a bit then down to 7 and it felt way better, stopped once more dropped to about 5.5 and left them there as steering and handling felt good.

These tires are a bit heavier than my old ones and are a touch larger (for the same stock size tire) but I didn't notice any real difference in power of speed. That said, what I consider gunning it is probably allot different then what hardcore riders do :-)

Super smooth driving on logging roads and power lines. Great traction going up inclines on loose gravel and they stuck pretty well to sloped wet sheet of rock (both were always an issue for my old tires even when they were new).

I don't normally go looking for mud but found a pretty good hole some 4x4 guys have torn up. Had no issues making it through (actually had a bit of fun here) and played for a little while. Treads cleared pretty quick once out of the mud. One thing I didn't like is since the tires are a touch wider and have a heavier tread, not all the mud is captured by my rear fenders. Not a biggy as I don't spend much time in the mud, but really glad I never went with a larger tire.

Went into a cutblock and crawled over some old downed logs and had no issues.

In general, was pretty happy with them but will need more allot more hours on them to test their durability and make make a proper evaluation.

REMINGTON JIM
03-26-2021, 10:14 AM
I run 7 psi when fully loaded ( frt and rear storage boxes ) other wise 5 lbs - As for the Mud i put fender extensions on my Polaris - they make a Big Difference ! RJ

https://fortnine.ca/en/superatv-safari-fender-flare-kit-sff-p-rzr

Greg3093
03-26-2021, 10:43 AM
Like I said in my initial post, I don't ride hard so take my evaluation for what it is.

I took it out for a ride last night. Right off the start I found the ride super hard and stopped pretty early to check my tire pressure. Tire shop had 14 psi in them. Dropped them to 10, rode a bit then down to 7 and it felt way better, stopped once more dropped to about 5.5 and left them there as steering and handling felt good.

These tires are a bit heavier than my old ones and are a touch larger (for the same stock size tire) but I didn't notice any real difference in power of speed. That said, what I consider gunning it is probably allot different then what hardcore riders do :-)

Super smooth driving on logging roads and power lines. Great traction going up inclines on loose gravel and they stuck pretty well to sloped wet sheet of rock (both were always an issue for my old tires even when they were new).

I don't normally go looking for mud but found a pretty good hole some 4x4 guys have torn up. Had no issues making it through (actually had a bit of fun here) and played for a little while. Treads cleared pretty quick once out of the mud. One thing I didn't like is since the tires are a touch wider and have a heavier tread, not all the mud is captured by my rear fenders. Not a biggy as I don't spend much time in the mud, but really glad I never went with a larger tire.

Went into a cutblock and crawled over some old downed logs and had no issues.

In general, was pretty happy with them but will need more allot more hours on them to test their durability and make make a proper evaluation.

I have found that running these tires around 5psi or less seems to be fine for the first while until they stretch a bit but if you do get into a trail or slash that you are bouncing of stumps, logs, roots and rocks that they do once in a while come un-seated on the bead for a split second from sidewall strikes and dump the the little bit of air that is in them, they will reseat from the weight of the bike right away but you may find you get a flat when there is no reason. Nice thing with being radials you can ride them flat without damaging the sidewalls. With them being so stiff that you won't even know until you feel it being flat, i have found that if i keep mine above 7 psi i don't have as many sidewall releases as i did when i rode at between 3-5 psi, but as i said i spend more time off the road than on and use my quad to it's capabilities. you will enjoy the tires and they will take you where you want and beyond. Have fun!

Blockcaver
03-26-2021, 11:03 AM
Hated the EFX Moto MTC tires (bias ply) on my RZR 800. Lot of vibration and rough ride, even on harder packed FS roads. Side slipped like a mother on steep snow packed grades too. They did wear very well. Sold them after a couple years and run some 8 ply radials similar to the original poster's tires but are Rocktane XDs. No issues over 5 years and really like them for ride and traction. I prefer a flatter tread profile than the more rounded x-section.

RJ, I've had a used set of the radial Mud Lite XTRs on a Honda Rubicon 500 for a couple years before I sold it. They wore very well but were stiff on my quad despite 4 psi inflation pressure. Of course on an old solid axle Honda 1/2 of the suspension are the tires!

Now a days I prefer the Kendra radial Bear Claws I have on my Grizzly. Had excellent luck pulling a trailer up steep rocky grades and in snow with the Bear Claws. Good ride and handling.

grantk
03-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Unless you got the Gripper Max tires, the regular ones are bias-ply construction, not radials. I've got the regular ones on my Grizzly and really like them. Pretty tough to beat for the price IMO.

Ron.C
03-26-2021, 01:46 PM
Unless you got the Gripper Max tires, the regular ones are bias-ply construction, not radials.

Yep, they are Gripper Max

trophyhunter60
03-26-2021, 08:42 PM
Bought the same tires a mouth ago for my arctic cat ,27-10-12 from , 8 ply awesome!

trophyhunter60
03-26-2021, 08:51 PM
srry, from Revco! 550 to the door victoria.

srupp
03-26-2021, 09:13 PM
Hmm not 100% sure..I think I run 5.5 pounds on the ITP BAJA CROSS during hunting / scouting season..and 5.5 pounds on the studded. Traxion grippers during winter plowing ..
On the ITP 7..8 pounds actually makes it worse squirrels handling..under 5 pounds too squishy..
Keep us updated on your field research Ron.
Cheers
Srupp

trophyhunter60
03-26-2021, 09:42 PM
Ran 6 pounds and the traxions ran good ! they say 5 pounds though ?

bcsteve
03-27-2021, 10:34 AM
I’ve never ran more than 5psi on any tire or any ATV, ever.

Ron.C
03-27-2021, 12:02 PM
srry, from Revco! 550 to the door Victoria.

$547.80 charged to my card to be exact. Delivered to my front door. OK tire charged $10/tire to install and disposed of my old ones for me.

Just came back from another ride, dropped the tire pressure down to 5 and I think that's the right pressure for me.

Did a couple trails that were quite steep and technical (by my standards) with lots of larger rocks and roots where the quad had to push the front tired up over an obstacle. Was really happy with how the tires grabbed and powered up.

Definitely grab on the front allot more. My bike doesn't have power steering and I feel the steering more than my old tires. This is good from a traction perspective but requires a bit more handling on my part.

dapesche
03-27-2021, 05:53 PM
I just got the grippers maxs and some wheels.

Here is the before and after if you are thinking about an upgrade...

side profile
Before: https://i.imgur.com/4GUhCfe.jpg
After: https://i.imgur.com/H6gg2Wm.jpg

quartering away :)
Before: https://i.imgur.com/Q6FFBVN.jpg
After: https://i.imgur.com/3synYZU.jpg

Offset front
Before: https://i.imgur.com/5ytOQJ4.jpg
After: https://i.imgur.com/SvjBgt3.jpg

Offset Back
Before: https://i.imgur.com/G1JEtGP.jpg
After: https://i.imgur.com/FsX1Wpa.jpg