PDA

View Full Version : Best time for spring bear?

JG75
03-23-2021, 02:01 PM
I've never gotten a bear in the spring I've only tagged fall bears. Honestly only went out a weekend or two in the past 5 years during the spring season. Looking to get after it more this year but it may be busy with my work coming up so I'm wondering whens the best time to take a week off to chase them? I'm in the North Okanagan (8-10 / 8-22) Coldstream area.

Harvest the Land
03-23-2021, 02:21 PM
It kind of depends, but generally speaking the last week of May and the first week of June when the rut gets underway is a really good time. Personally, I prefer early May because I find the bears are a lot more oblivious to hunting pressure when they're just waking up and they are laser focused on finding the greenest grass and will sit on patches of grass for as long as it takes. Also, the bugs aren't really out yet at the beginning of May; whereas end of May/early June the bugs can be brutal if there's no wind. Also there's a lot less vegetation and foliage on the brush at eye level, so its way easier to see further into the timber compared to beginning of June when there's way more foliage. Good luck

todbartell
03-23-2021, 03:14 PM
When it's time to mow the lawn in town, best be out in the bush hunting bear. Also when the mosquitos are horrible is a good sign

whitlers
03-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Green up early May or the rut in June

srupp
03-23-2021, 04:13 PM
Green up early May or the rut in June

Ya like he said..
Srupp

tigrr
03-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Some time after the 15 of May. That is when I service the atv and go scouting. The girls come out first and the boys follow a bit later. If it is looking around a lot it is probably a sow with cubs sleeping nearby. Bores just eat and flop down on the next green patch to eat.
I get a bear a year. Generally a 4 year old.

RyoTHC
03-23-2021, 05:38 PM
I've never gotten a bear in the spring I've only tagged fall bears. Honestly only went out a weekend or two in the past 5 years during the spring season. Looking to get after it more this year but it may be busy with my work coming up so I'm wondering whens the best time to take a week off to chase them? I'm in the North Okanagan (8-10 / 8-22) Coldstream area.

may 1-June 1. I hunt your neck of the woods.. April is slow but possible, may they are everywhere (5tags filled in one weekend mid may last year.. no small bears) by June they have headed back up high for the cool air and following the green up, way easiest to access them in may.

rocksteady
03-23-2021, 06:02 PM
May long weekend..

HarryToolips
03-23-2021, 09:24 PM
Last week of May through the first week of June is my experience for your area usually.....

adriaticum
03-23-2021, 09:30 PM
spring i reckon

Arctic Lake
03-23-2021, 09:52 PM
I have not taken a spring bear but an old saying that I heard is “ When the big Bumble Bees are out and about so are the bears “ ! Maybe some spring bear hunters could tell if there is truth to the old saying ?
Arctic Lake

JG75
03-23-2021, 10:27 PM
Thank you guys for all the tips. Think ill take whatever free weekends I have and do some scouting in my usual spots then really hit it hard in May!

Redemption
04-06-2021, 07:37 PM
3rd week of may for myself.

steel_ram
04-06-2021, 07:47 PM
What ever weekend Mother's Day falls on

walks with deer
04-06-2021, 08:41 PM
May long weekend..

Yes sir that is right

walks with deer
04-06-2021, 08:48 PM
Or you could do like me ice off becomes a blow down cuttingbrampage of firewood just to and from work driving makrs shots..i prefer to fawn eaters so drivr spots where you see bear shit with hoovrs then hunt him

nuadixion
04-06-2021, 09:37 PM
What ever weekend Mother's Day falls on
I second that!

MRP
04-07-2021, 07:32 AM
You'll never miss if you hunt the dandelion patches.

Firstblood
04-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Dandelions and mosquitos, when they are out the bears are out. Although i saw one bear already it was still living in its den.

Rob Chipman
04-07-2021, 08:09 PM
K, so, if I want to introduce some newer hunters to bear hunting within a few hours of the LML for a May Long Weekend hunt, who's got a good suggestion of where to go?

I usually go a little further afield myself, but I need something closer for that weekend that hopefully will give new guys a chance at some success.

Ideas?

PrecariousPhoto
04-07-2021, 08:17 PM
K, so, if I want to introduce some newer hunters to bear hunting within a few hours of the LML for a May Long Weekend hunt, who's got a good suggestion of where to go?

I usually go a little further afield myself, but I need something closer for that weekend that hopefully will give new guys a chance at some success.

Ideas?

I have some spots, but it’s all unceded land, you wouldn’t like it.

caddisguy
04-07-2021, 09:14 PM
Timing all depends on conditions which vary from one area to another and one year to the next.

Usually starts in valley bottoms and south facing slopes.

I like the early season when you have every bear from the valley and mountains on either side consolidated into the first few pockets of grass showing up. When you're patrolling the only 2-3 pockets of good grass in 20km, you're going to be walking up on bears feeding regularly even if you're pressuring it. When there's food growing everywhere and they have options, they'll spread out and be more discreet.

I find in my areas in Region 2 that by May long weekend the bears are pretty spread out and seasonal campers are occupying every spur, pull-off, bridge or whatever.

April is my favorite month in Region 2 and probably the month I see the most bears, but if I was in PG, Quesnel, Smithers or even the Cariboo I probably wouldn't think of bear hunting until mid to late May.

Region 2 will see bears dropping the next couple weeks. We already saw one little guy hanging around the spot we camped over Easter weekend. He popped out about 40 yards away while caddisgirl was making a grilled cheese lol

Find the first grass, check for nipped grass, find that (or ideally 2-3 little pockets like that within 1km and just keep walking back and forth checking them) ... if it's getting nipped, they'll keep coming back hitting the same patches again and again... they're essentially manufacturing sugar on those tips.

Arctic Lake
04-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Sow and 2 Cubs revealed themselves to some folks hiking 3 days ago in the UBC Malcom Knapp Research Forest in Maple Ridge , it’s on FaceTube .
Arctic Lake

andrew5
04-07-2021, 10:00 PM
I see what you’re doing lol. Pretty good chirp lol.

GEF
04-08-2021, 04:48 AM
If you want a big boar go last weeks of May ,early June,go as high up as you can go in elevation and still have green up. close proximity to slide chutes and alpine basins .If you don't care about rub marks on the hide hunt lower down valley bottoms.

WWBC
04-08-2021, 06:44 AM
Mid May for the cariboo until the last day of season. (Still lots of snow in the bush and 2” fresh overnight)
early season you can hunt the great wave. Later in the season you’ve got to catch them on the move.

Rob Chipman
04-08-2021, 01:55 PM
I have some spots, but it’s all unceded land, you wouldn’t like it.

I got it solved. I'm doing 23andMe. Sending in an extra $20 to get the right results :-)

Harvest the Land
04-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Timing all depends on conditions which vary from one area to another and one year to the next.

Usually starts in valley bottoms and south facing slopes.

I like the early season when you have every bear from the valley and mountains on either side consolidated into the first few pockets of grass showing up. When you're patrolling the only 2-3 pockets of good grass in 20km, you're going to be walking up on bears feeding regularly even if you're pressuring it. When there's food growing everywhere and they have options, they'll spread out and be more discreet.

I find in my areas in Region 2 that by May long weekend the bears are pretty spread out and seasonal campers are occupying every spur, pull-off, bridge or whatever.

April is my favorite month in Region 2 and probably the month I see the most bears, but if I was in PG, Quesnel, Smithers or even the Cariboo I probably wouldn't think of bear hunting until mid to late May.

Region 2 will see bears dropping the next couple weeks. We already saw one little guy hanging around the spot we camped over Easter weekend. He popped out about 40 yards away while caddisgirl was making a grilled cheese lol

Find the first grass, check for nipped grass, find that (or ideally 2-3 little pockets like that within 1km and just keep walking back and forth checking them) ... if it's getting nipped, they'll keep coming back hitting the same patches again and again... they're essentially manufacturing sugar on those tips.

This is sound advice provided by CaddisGuy - aka "The Serial Black Bear Assassin". I always heed his advice because he consistently gets it done every year. Try his simple yet effective tactics and see for yourselves

Jagermeister
04-08-2021, 06:33 PM
Right after winter

Squamch
04-09-2021, 05:34 AM
When the skunk cabbage blooms in the valley.

Fella
04-09-2021, 07:54 AM
Follow the snow line. Bears regularly get taken here on the South Island early April. I know of at least one hitting the dirt on April 1 this year