PDA

View Full Version : Knife (pocket / EDC) recommendation? ...

dapesche
03-23-2021, 10:09 AM
any recommendations for a nice EDC knife that I can gift to someone. Being able to use for field dressing an animal would be great.. Something light, pocketable, and of above average quality is what I am looking for.

I understand that the North Arms Skaha II is a great option but who knows when I'd be able to get my hands on one of those.

Please let me know what you have and use for both everyday and for hunting.

Thank you.

thomas300
03-23-2021, 10:13 AM
Rocking a Benchmade Bugout its been great so far. they use S30 steel so itll hold a edge well enough to gut a deer out as well. fits in the pocket like nothing is their.

CranePete
03-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Kershaw Leek is my edc. Light, assist opening, crazy sharp

Sharpish
03-23-2021, 11:14 AM
spyderco para 3 is a lifetime knife

KodiakHntr
03-23-2021, 11:15 AM
I generally carry a Leatherman Skeletool but if I am going to town or whatnot and don't anticipate needing a Leatherman I carry a Kershaw Gentleman's Folder, but those are exceptionally rare to come across.

That said, a Benchmade Bugout and Mini Bugout are in the mail now.

beretta
03-23-2021, 11:26 AM
I have had this one for about a year and it's been a great knife. And it's under a $100 USD
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sXAIisrpIfY/maxresdefault.jpg

tdot
03-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Benchmade Bugout. I bought one on a whim after seeing it at a knife counter. I thought it looked like the perfect pocket knife. Had no idea there was such a following for it, and can definitely say that the following is justified. Just a fantastic little knife. I don't think it's left my pocket in the 3 years I've had it. I cant say that about any of the other knives I've bought for that purpose.

Sharpish
03-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Benchmade Bugout. I bought one on a whim after seeing it at a knife counter. I thought it looked like the perfect pocket knife. Had no idea there was such a following for it, and can definitely say that the following is justified. Just a fantastic little knife. I don't think it's left my pocket in the 3 years I've had it. I cant say that about any of the other knives I've bought for that purpose.

I think the newer versions with aluminum handles etc are just about perfect. I don't trust the plastic handle for long term. I picked up a bailout with aluminum handles and M4 steel as a backup for when I eventually break or lose my benchmade pardue thats been in my pocket for 10 years.

dak0ta
03-23-2021, 01:11 PM
Grohmann knives out of Pictou, NS.

ACE
03-23-2021, 01:18 PM
​Gerber 'Silver Knight'

dapesche
03-23-2021, 02:05 PM
nice. some great options. I'll dig into them. thank you.

boxhitch
03-23-2021, 02:12 PM
Katz Stockman for the trad pocket type

dapesche
03-23-2021, 02:18 PM
that bugout looks nice. I like the belly on the blade.

Kershaw looks good but lacks the belly.

The spyderco looks like it's a touch shorter in the handle. Maybe not giving the leverage you need when field dressing.

The gerber is probably the most cost effective if you want a knife in the pocket. Lacks the cool factor when gifting it.

dapesche
03-23-2021, 02:19 PM
Katz Stockman for the trad pocket type

You're right. A lot like that silver night. Traditional feel for sure.

dapesche
03-23-2021, 02:21 PM
for the bugout, the serrated blade seems almost gimmicky. Anyone get it with the serrated blade?
I think if I pass on that option I don't think the receiver will be really wishing it was the serrated option, even if they don't hunt....?!

KodiakHntr
03-23-2021, 03:45 PM
I handled one yesterday with the serrated option. Scary sharp, but that's about all it has going for it in my opinion. My Skeletool has a half serrated blade on it, I've never really seen the value, personally.

goatdancer
03-23-2021, 03:52 PM
If you're going to buy a Kershaw, make sure they are made in Japan or the US, Those a very good knives.

whitlers
03-23-2021, 03:54 PM
I have been carrying a Spyderco Wayne Goddard for years now for an EDC. I have been super tough on it and no issues. VG-10 steel.

ACE
03-23-2021, 04:14 PM
If you're going to buy a Kershaw, make sure they are made in Japan or the US, Those a very good knives.

Good steel came from Sheffield or Solingen . . . . then along came the Japanese. Superb tool steels, some of the finest in the world, and fueled by BC coal.

Beachcomber
03-23-2021, 04:33 PM
I usually carry a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian with a sheep's foot blade, 20CV steel. Great knife that was a gift to me. Bought my daughter one as a gift too. I have always admired the Bugout and mini Bugout and think either would be great. So many good Spyderco knives to choose from as well. I carried a Centofante 3 for a few years until it was stolen.

Watch the Blade HQ YouTube channel. They always have great reviews on different categories of knives, including EDC.

N¡ck
03-23-2021, 05:53 PM
Chrisreeve sebenza are nice but a bit pricey. I have a small and its awesome.

RackStar
03-23-2021, 06:25 PM
Check out frontiersman gear from bc