PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags

thompie505
03-23-2021, 07:19 AM
I’m looking for a new Car camping/hunting cold weather bag. I already have a mummy bag for hiking but am wanting a roomier bag for camping. My wife will be using it for cold weather camping and she’s always cold so I’m thinking something around -12 would work. She gets cold in her 0 degree mummy bag when it’s 7 out. I’ll use it when I tent on hunting trips. Does anybody have any experience with the canvas bags Cabelas sells? Any stores I should check out?

thanks.

RackStar
03-23-2021, 07:29 AM
my base camp bag is a canvas -30 from WSS. I would go -25 if your going canvas. I use this bag in my tent during elk season and I don’t find it to warm. If anything I get great sleeps when I bring that bag. Had it down to -20 and slept great also.

warnniklz
03-23-2021, 07:48 AM
https://scontent.fyka1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/131100180_10164769743155387_4876284609330215417_o. jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dd9801&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=Jsmxx_P-kCkAX89Ki9r&_nc_ht=scontent.fyka1-1.fna&tp=14&oh=d40a2235c6a8f4386601a52f79135a90&oe=607E8164
I use a Chinook Trailside Dawson 8 (-22F) for conditions like these. I like it.

I have used it in high condensation conditions and kept dry inside. But that was only for one night. Not sure about multiple nights.

Complaints are it's really roomy and can have some dead air inside.

I'm not saying get the same as me, but if you happen upon one, I say consider it.

Ron.C
03-23-2021, 08:08 AM
I have one from Cabelas. Not sure if they sell this particular bag anymore. I believe its a -20 bag. It's a great basecamp/truck camp bag.

That said, we spent a week a few years back on an early NOV deer hunt when temps got into the -22 range overnight. I'm a cold sleeper anyway but had to layer up a bit inside the bag and was comfortable enough once I warmed the bag up.

They are great for early season hunts when you can just leave the zipper open, mid season hunts where temps still aren't overly cold and amazing for wall tent camps.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/truck19.jpg

RackStar
03-23-2021, 08:25 AM
I have one from Cabelas. Not sure if they sell this particular bag anymore. I believe its a -20 bag. It's a great basecamp/truck camp bag.

That said, we spent a week a few years back on an early NOV deer hunt when temps got into the -22 range overnight. I'm a cold sleeper anyway but had to layer up a bit inside the bag and was comfortable enough once I warmed the bag up.

They are great for early season hunts when you can just leave the zipper open, mid season hunts where temps still aren't overly cold and amazing for wall tent camps.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/truck19.jpg

struggles of having a long box. Damn that looks like a good setup.

adriaticum
03-23-2021, 08:27 AM
For car camping I would go with those Canadian army sleeping systems that are multi layered.
If space is no issue.

But I have slept in -10 with two regular sleeping bags. I think 1 is rated for -4 (I could never remember), and the other is just a 3 season bag for above 0 temps.

The Hermit
03-23-2021, 08:56 AM
My wife will be using it for cold weather camping and she’s always cold .... So sorry to hear his! ;-) ha

Old school ... boil up some water and fill a couple hot water bottles to warm up the bag first. I find that helps getting to sleep and once asleep your body will keep the bag warm enough. Also throwing a blanket over the bag wil help lesser bags stay warmer longer too.

thompie505
03-23-2021, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply’s, I’ll check those out. I usually boil water and fill a nalgene for her on overnight hikes and it works well. I’m just glad she likes camping haha. Anyone notice the canvas getting wet with condensation?

jlirot
03-24-2021, 09:55 AM
I'm considering getting a liner for my bag - Cabelas sells them. I've never used one but they're supposed to really help.

I've always wanted one of those Army setups but never could really justify it for what I do. :-)

Arctic Lake
03-24-2021, 10:51 AM
What are you thinking for insulation , Down or Synthetic ? How much do you want to spend ?
Arctic Lake.
I’m looking for a new Car camping/hunting cold weather bag. I already have a mummy bag for hiking but am wanting a roomier bag for camping. My wife will be using it for cold weather camping and she’s always cold so I’m thinking something around -12 would work. She gets cold in her 0 degree mummy bag when it’s 7 out. I’ll use it when I tent on hunting trips. Does anybody have any experience with the canvas bags Cabelas sells? Any stores I should check out?

thanks.

kodimack
03-24-2021, 02:09 PM
I have a Cabelas 3D bag 0 def F for sale, it’s more of a tapered bag than a mummy .
pm if interested
cheers

wlbc
03-24-2021, 09:01 PM
On the lower end of the spectrum Canadian Tire sells Woods bags ranging from a -15 bag at $145 to a -45 rated one for about $400. I had one of these, IIRC it was rated for about -20, it was fine (lost it in a divorce). The only thing I didn't like was that the fill they use doesn't settle on you like down. The advantage of the new fills is that many retain most of their thermal efficiency when they are wet or damp. Another option to consider is the Wiggy bags, just google Wiggy. This has some kind of synthetic fill that works very well even if wet, they are tough and well made. I have had one of these for 25 years now. It is my primary canoe and kayaking bag. The other neat thing about Wiggy is they will basically make anything you want. When I ordered mine, because I am fairly tall and broad, for a modest charge they made the bag longer and wider for me.

I then came into, through a family member, an old canvas bag with what seems to be a plaid wool blanket for a liner, called a "Woods 5 Star". It is definitely a truck camping bag but it incredible to sleep in, even in very cold weather (-25 and lower). I don't know how many pounds of the finest goose down this thing has but it weighs at least 10 pounds. I understand this bag is now about 70 years old! If you can find one of these in a second hand store or a garage sale buy it, they are wonderful. Beware of the more recent ones as I understand they went away from goose down.

Hope this helps.

Arctic Lake
03-24-2021, 09:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^. Had to Google Wiggy bags . Seems like an interesting synthetic fill
Arctic Lake

The Hermit
03-24-2021, 10:46 PM
I am in need of a new bag too and have been considering a KUIU but they have disappeared from their website. Anyone know what's up with that?

thompie505
03-26-2021, 09:08 AM
I’m leaning towards synthetic but pretty open. Hoping to keep price under $200. I won’t be out in -20 conditions without a wall tent, just looking for a decent bag that won’t rip or have zipper issues etc. I’ll have a look at the Wiggys and others mentioned.

What are you thinking for insulation , Down or Synthetic ? How much do you want to spend ?
Arctic Lake.