PDA

View Full Version : Tents!

Harv
03-21-2021, 09:33 AM
hey everyone.

im in the market for a new back pack hunting tent. I've done several trips in a few different tents now and haven't really found one I like. I've also learned pretty fast that in extended bad weather, a 2 person tent isn't enough for 2 people haha. my question is, if money was no object, what is the best tent around through your experience? I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a hilleberg Nallo, but keep finding mixed reviews on it. keep in mind lighter the better within reason.
thanks guys!

Harv.

HighCountryBC
03-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Been using the Nallo 2GT for many years now. The extra vestibule room is awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this tent to anyone. I use an Akto for solo hunts. Been in a lot of tents over the years and it doesn't get any better than Hilleberg.

mod7rem
03-21-2021, 10:03 AM
For two people Nallo 3 GT is hard to beat. Enough room for two, Big vestibule, reasonable weight for a four season and very strong for bad weather.
The only downside is the footprint is on the long side instead of round. Some people prefer a tent with a door and vestibule on each side but the big vestibule of the Nallo adds more versatility in my opinion. Ive been using this tent the most since 2008.

Another tent I’ve used a lot on sheep hunts is a floorless tipi with small titanium wood stove. Tent and stove is lighter than the Nallo 3 GT, has more than enough room and offers heat. I haven’t had it in as bad of weather conditions as the Hilleberg though so not sure how it would stack up. It has a big round footprint which can be challenging as well, and single wall so condensation can be a little annoying if you don’t have a little ventilation. I would prefer the Hilleberg if I’m going to be camping up high, but it is amazing to have heat if your camping in brush or trees.

Harv
03-21-2021, 02:47 PM
thanks for the info! how is the condensation in the tent after a few wet days? is there any Canadian retailers for hilleberg?

albravo2
03-21-2021, 03:53 PM
thanks for the info! how is the condensation in the tent after a few wet days? is there any Canadian retailers for hilleberg?

If I recall correctly there aren't any Canadian retailers because Hilleberg tents aren't coated with the right fire ******ant or something along those lines.

Bustercluck
03-21-2021, 04:10 PM
I have two msr 3 season tents, a 3 man eleixir And a 2 man hubba(old style). I’ve had them both in some pretty terrible weather and they both have held up great and set up fast. I don’t think I’ve been wet in either of these other than a tad damp where my sleeping bag was up against the wall by my feet, but even that wasn’t very much. My brother has a 3 man msr 4 season tent that we used last winter which is nice, but I found everything to be damp in the morning. I’m not sure if he had all of the vents open or if that’s normal.

I’m buying a cimarron with half nest in the next day or two so I have another option. More floor space for bad weather and you’ll be able to stand up to do stuff rather than being crammed into a sardine can. The stove might be a nice option if you’re hunting the island and want to dry out your gear. My partner is a bit of a princess though and he’s worried about mice and bugs without a floor and getting wet from ground water. If the tipi doesn’t work out, we’re going to go halfers on a big Agnes copper spur 3 man.

I don’t think there’s a do-all tent on the market, you’ll have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I haven’t tried a semi freestanding tent because I’m a little bit worried about how they’ll perform in wind and finding a spot to stake them out.

KodiakHntr
03-21-2021, 05:19 PM
You won’t be able to stand up in a Cimarron unless you are a midget.

decker9
03-21-2021, 06:29 PM
If your looking for a nallo 2, I have one I’ll let go for what I have into it (bought used off the rockslide), has 6 nights use. I personally prefer free standing. The Nallo is a solid choice though.

Bustercluck
03-21-2021, 06:39 PM
Here’s a 5% off code for seek outside if you need it

Gritty

Harv
03-21-2021, 07:38 PM
If your looking for a nallo 2, I have one I’ll let go for what I have into it (bought used off the rockslide), has 6 nights use. I personally prefer free standing. The Nallo is a solid choice though.

thanks for the offer! But i was thinking about getting the nallo 3 for a bit of extra room, last time i back pack hunted we got stuck in the tent due to weather for a couple days in a 2 man, it was a bit too cozy lol

UkeeJ
03-21-2021, 08:22 PM
I picked up a Marmot Limelight 3P. Check it out on youtube probably be on the lower end of the scale of the brands you mentioned but I love mine! A lot of thought went into this design angled poles for more side room, 2 larger vestibules and two doors, pretty sweet. Aorund 7Lbs not the smallest or lightest but the trade offs worked for me.

Ride Red
03-21-2021, 09:15 PM
Look at the Mountain Hardware Aspect 3. I bought this to try on this years sheep hunt. Light, well built and has extra tie downs when needed. My old tent has seen better days.

https://www.mountainhardwear.ca/en/p/aspect-3-tent-1830091.html

tdot
03-22-2021, 12:22 AM
If you're willing to consider floorless shelters there are a ton of options that are significantly lighter, arguably equal quality and strength to the Hilliberg's and generally cheaper.

You can also add an inner liner depending on the conditions.

It's basically all I'll use now for any style of camping.

mod7rem
03-22-2021, 11:42 AM

Condensation can be an issue in any tent depending on ventilation and weather conditions. 4 season tents are more sealed up than a 3 season so you have to make sure you open up the vents to help. If outside humidity is high, or minimal air movement, then ventilation might not help. The nice thing about a tipi style is the condensation will run down the wall and soak into the ground. No floor to pool up on. If you rub the walls you’ll get wet, but the same thing can happen when you rub the wall in double wall tent. The water just quickly soaks through the inner layer and gets on you. I think condensation issues between a single wall tipi style and a more classic double wall tent aren’t that different. Pick the tent style that suits your needs the best and condensation can be dealt with.

Ive been in a storm in a Nallo 3 where the humidity in the air was so high that it was basically a continuous rain storm in the tent. Absolutely nothing to do about it except hope the tent and you survive the storm.
Ive also had nights in 3 season tents where the condensation would drip from the outer wall onto the inner wall, then drip in my face all night long.

jac
03-22-2021, 12:03 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on tents. I’m torn between the hilleberg Anjan 3gt and the seek outside cimarron.

KodiakHntr
03-22-2021, 12:25 PM
The nice thing about a tipi style is the condensation will run down the wall and soak into the ground. No floor to pool up on.

True, unless it is windy and then the condensation can get shaken off of the inside wall and gently rains down on you... Having at good 3" of air space around the bottom of the tipi makes for pretty much nothing for condensation though.

allan
03-22-2021, 01:39 PM
I’ve used a big Agnes copper spur 3, I bought the three because I had a one person and the one person was too small, I’ve realized the three is just a bit big for solo.
I love the tent but am considering something smaller for myself.
my hunting partners refuse to share a tent anymore cause I snore like a freight train, and kick like a mule in my sleep. So a smaller tent for one is in my cards I guess.

So if your looking for a big Agnes copper spur ul 3...... I might be selling it to downgrade/downsize.

jac
03-22-2021, 01:46 PM
Did the copper spur work well? Did you find that the floor is really thin?

Elkaddict
03-22-2021, 03:47 PM
Seek Outside is having a blemish sale this Thursday. Takes a bit of the sting out of the exchange. I bought an LBO off their last blem sale and for the life of me can’t really figure out where the blem is.

LBO is a pretty cool design. Modular, so you can make it anything you want from an emergency tarp for one up to about a 4 man tent, all depending on what you need and how light you want to pack

Harv
03-22-2021, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=mod7rem;2241886]Condensation can be an issue in any tent depending on ventilation and weather conditions. 4 season tents are more sealed up than a 3 season so you have to make sure you open up the vents to help. If outside humidity is high, or minimal air movement, then ventilation might not help. The nice thing about a tipi style is the condensation will run down the wall and soak into the ground. No floor to pool up on. If you rub the walls you’ll get wet, but the same thing can happen when you rub the wall in double wall tent. The water just quickly soaks through the inner layer and gets on you. I think condensation issues between a single wall tipi style and a more classic double wall tent aren’t that different. Pick the tent style that suits your needs the best and condensation can be dealt with.

Ive been in a storm in a Nallo 3 where the humidity in the air was so high that it was basically a continuous rain storm in the tent. Absolutely nothing to do about it except hope the tent and you survive the storm.
Ive also had nights in 3 season tents where the condensation would drip from the outer wall onto the inner wall, then drip in my face all night long.[/

Not sure if youve tried this or not but put a small sponge in your tent, it works great for wiping condensation off the inside of the tent and just wring it out in the vestibule, ive done it on a few trips now and it works awesome

mod7rem
03-22-2021, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=mod7rem;2241886]Condensation can be an issue in any tent depending on ventilation and weather conditions. 4 season tents are more sealed up than a 3 season so you have to make sure you open up the vents to help. If outside humidity is high, or minimal air movement, then ventilation might not help. The nice thing about a tipi style is the condensation will run down the wall and soak into the ground. No floor to pool up on. If you rub the walls you’ll get wet, but the same thing can happen when you rub the wall in double wall tent. The water just quickly soaks through the inner layer and gets on you. I think condensation issues between a single wall tipi style and a more classic double wall tent aren’t that different. Pick the tent style that suits your needs the best and condensation can be dealt with.

Ive also had nights in 3 season tents where the condensation would drip from the outer wall onto the inner wall, then drip in my face all night long.[/

Not sure if youve tried this or not but put a small sponge in your tent, it works great for wiping condensation off the inside of the tent and just wring it out in the vestibule, ive done it on a few trips now and it works awesome

I’ve used cloth, but sponge is a much better idea.

IslandWanderer
08-17-2022, 05:10 PM
Has anyone used this brand?

https://www.tipitent.com/

Looks like it's a business here in BC. A couple of the models are on sale currently.

spreerider
08-20-2022, 12:18 PM
i am using the SG ult and its been great so far, less than a lb and lots of room per person.

IslandWanderer
08-20-2022, 03:28 PM
i am using the SG ult and its been great so far, less than a lb and lots of room per person.

It looks awesome. I've got a hubba that I like. I just think I need a heat source. It gets pretty wet and cold here on the island.

RiverOtter
08-24-2022, 05:44 PM
Personally, I'd rather just pack my own tent and have my partner do the same. I bought a Hubba NX 1 person a few years back, and it's about ideal for summer sheep pursuits and early season pack in elk hunts. Finding 2 small flat(ish) tent sights is a LOT easier than finding one double size, especially above treeline. The 1 person affords about 50% more space than each person would have in a 2 person tent, which is definitely appreciated for extended sleep in days.

I've got a Nallo 2 GT with about 40 nights of use as well. The vestibule is awesome and the tent is bomb proof, but being pinned down by foul weather with a partner a few inches away for extended periods sucks, no matter what size your tent is.

stoneramhunter
08-24-2022, 05:51 PM
i have a super lite 4 man tent that i like to use we spit the package between 2 it has lots of room can basically stand up slightly but your can spread out sit up comfortably ive used it quite often back packing in. once there for spiking i have the larger silt tarps that i use. when i m on a solo hunt i have a lite two man tent with vestubles that i pack. Im one that will carry a pound or two more for a bonus in comfort at night lol

mod7rem
09-03-2022, 02:59 PM
Personally, I'd rather just pack my own tent and have my partner do the same. I bought a Hubba NX 1 person a few years back, and it's about ideal for summer sheep pursuits and early season pack in elk hunts. Finding 2 small flat(ish) tent sights is a LOT easier than finding one double size, especially above treeline. The 1 person affords about 50% more space than each person would have in a 2 person tent, which is definitely appreciated for extended sleep in days.

I've got a Nallo 2 GT with about 40 nights of use as well. The vestibule is awesome and the tent is bomb proof, but being pinned down by foul weather with a partner a few inches away for extended periods sucks, no matter what size your tent is.

I agree. This year we went with two solo tents instead of one tent for two people and I don’t think I want to go back. Way easier to find comfortable spots for two small tents than it is for one large tent, and a little personal space is nice as well. The two tents are still pitched within feet of each other so talking back and forth is easy, but the personal space makes for better sleeping because no one is getting disturbed while the other moves around.

Treed
10-07-2022, 10:33 PM
I just ordered this solid mid x 2person from Durston tents. About 2lbs, uses hiking poles or you can get two poles from them and is made of polyester not nylon so it doesn’t stretch and absorb water. Great reviews and can be used as a floorless shelter. He’s Canadian but it’s sold out of the States.

https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-1-solid

spreerider
10-13-2022, 09:20 AM
It looks awesome. I've got a hubba that I like. I just think I need a heat source. It gets pretty wet and cold here on the island.

never been cold on the island but wet for sure, never had a drop in this tent even condensation drops off onto the ground outside the area of the ground sheet

KBC
10-16-2022, 11:18 PM
I have a SO Cimarron with a half nest and a titanium stove I made for it. I think it's the best of all worlds although I haven't had it in really bad weather yet other than last November near Merritt in the rain leading up to the floods. Love being able to wear my boots into the tent and having the nest to keep the bugs away. The stove is great and so hot I usually have to open one of the doors a bit to cool it down. Not the cheapest options though and make sure you seam seal it.

Otto1946
11-05-2022, 03:20 PM
After many tents over about six decades of packing, my current choices are a Hille Niak, an SO Cimarron and a Hille 9 lb.+ model used in Antarctica.......the Durston rigs look good and I may buy one IF I can get my damaged old legs to work again.......

alberta hunter
11-17-2022, 08:29 PM
All my mountain tents are tipi tents, all have stove holes, if your in rainy areas you need a wood stove to dry what ever you need, also you cn stand up if your under 6ft

Otto1946
11-18-2022, 08:53 AM
Agree, about 90%, however, in BC West Kootenay or coastal wet snow, a good dome style can be superior and Hilleberg, is first among these, IMHO.