PDA

View Full Version : Vortex or Zeiss binoculars?

MichelD
03-17-2021, 10:09 PM
If you had to choose between a set of Vortex Cross Fire HD 8x42 binoculars and a set of Zeiss Hunting Sports Terra Ed binoculars which would you take?

Another brand maybe with a price between $300 and $650?

Sharpish
03-17-2021, 10:16 PM
I had terra and used them hard for many years. Great glass.

Bustercluck
03-17-2021, 10:22 PM
I looked at a bunch of binos last year and I liked the leupold bx4. I still haven’t purchased them, but that’s what I will be going with eventually. They might be slightly higher than your budget, but you may be able to find them on sale.

I’m not a huge vortex fan. I do own a razor spotting scope, but I only purchased it because I got it brand new for the same price as a viper. When you’re jamming your scope in your pack, it’s a pretty comforting feeling knowing they’ll replace it if you break it though.

Redthies
03-18-2021, 09:05 AM
I’m also not a fan of Vortex. At least 50% of the Vortex products I have handled have been clunky and gritty. Zeiss makes amazing glass. I would also consider Nikon.

SaintSix
03-18-2021, 10:59 AM
everyone's eyes are a bit different, also they shape of them might feel better or worse in your hands. Go to the store and ask if you can see a few pairs in your price range, pick your top 2 and ask if you can take them outside for better viewing (now run) joking! but try to take them outside on a cloudy or low light day, then just see what feels right.

todbartell
03-18-2021, 11:04 AM
why are you comparing $250 binos with $800 ones?

Compare the Vortex Viper to the Zeiss maybe

Greenthumbed
03-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Agreed. Seems like an unfair comparison.

Rayne
03-18-2021, 06:00 PM
I just got a set of Bushnell engage 8x42. And I’m happy so far!

KBC
03-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Look at the Nikons in that price range.

VLD43
03-18-2021, 07:11 PM
Binoculars are one of the key pieces of equipment a hunter uses. If you can't see it or locate it, you can't hunt it. You are just walking around, making your presence known and hoping you will bump into something. Buy good glass, it will last you a lifetime. Swaro, Lieca, Ziess. Pick your poison and carry on. Buying anything less is just wasting money.

Weatherby Fan
03-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Have a look at Meopta Optika HD in your price range

grantk
03-18-2021, 08:03 PM
Visions just got a shipment of Nikons in last week. They had a few "box-damaged" models marked down on their website a few days ago, might be worth a call to see what's in stock. I picked up a pair of the Monarch HG 10x42's for $998 last week. Tough to beat those at that price.

twoSevenO
03-18-2021, 08:23 PM

X2 those two are not even in the same class, at all.
Pretty sure cross fire are even below the diamondback model.

3than
03-18-2021, 08:52 PM
X2 those two are not even in the same class, at all.
Pretty sure cross fire are even below the diamondback model.

Crossfires are the base model. I don't think there is a lower option.

Sportster
03-18-2021, 09:48 PM
Visions just got a shipment of Nikons in last week. They had a few "box-damaged" models marked down on their website a few days ago, might be worth a call to see what's in stock. I picked up a pair of the Monarch HG 10x42's for $998 last week. Tough to beat those at that price.

For another 100 bucks you can buy a pair of Nikon laserForce binoculars when they come on sale at cabelas. Picked up a pair a few years ago, couldn't be happier, definitely one of the best peace's of hunting equipment I've purchased in many years. Cristal clear glass. The range finder is really fast. I've used them in extreme weather conditions and they work perfectly.

grantk
03-18-2021, 10:44 PM
For another 100 bucks you can buy a pair of Nikon laserForce binoculars when they come on sale at cabelas. Picked up a pair a few years ago, couldn't be happier, definitely one of the best peace's of hunting equipment I've purchased in many years. Cristal clear glass. The range finder is really fast. I've used them in extreme weather conditions and they work perfectly.

I understand the draw of combining them, I just haven't quite come around to the idea yet of putting electronics in a set of binoculars I'd like to last forever. I figured I'd rather spend the money on better glass with a separate rangefinder. Rangefinders are constantly improving to upgrade down the road if wanted, binoculars not so much. And besides, the HGs are light enough that there isn't even a weight penalty to carry the rangefinder separately.

Mulehahn
03-18-2021, 11:06 PM
About 6 or 7 years ago I picked up a pair of Leupold BX-3s when they were clearing out the kryptec pattern. Then last year I was at a just over a year ago I was at a store and they had a pretty solid sale on Zeiss. Figured, what or the heck, will just keep my Leupolds as back ups or loaners. Last year out hunting I really tried both. I still grab my Leupolds. Won't say they are clearer but o me they are more comfortable and the image looks more "natural" if that makes sense.

twoSevenO
03-19-2021, 06:45 AM

The nikon HG is superior, optically, to the laserForce.

Keta1969
03-19-2021, 08:09 AM
I know Vortex get knocked a lot but I recently picked up a pair of viper's 8x42 hd used. They are highly rated by birdwatchers so thought I'd try them out. For the money they are great bino's. I also have an older pair of leicas 10x42's and find myself packing the vortex while hiking around, they're lighter. They are not a replacement for the Leica's and I like the 8x and field of view for birds. I find that glass quality over the last few years has evened out a lot from what it used to be.

Ought Six Ai
03-19-2021, 12:36 PM
Check out Maven c1's

https://mavenbuilt.com/products/c-1-8x42-10x42-12x42