PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical or fixed blade? Advice needed

Golddust
03-16-2021, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

I've been shooting a bow for a while now (3 years). Just updated my sight to a fixed 7 pin. I'm committing to hunting bow only this year pending I don't get any amazing LEH draws.

Personally I would prefer to shoot a fixed blade because less moving parts means less that can go wrong in the field along with the other advantages however I think for the next year or so I want to shoot mechanicals simply because they're easier to tune (I don't have a bow press and have limited ability to shoot as often as I'd like or is necessary).

My draw length is 30 inches at 75 lb. Arrow weight is 450 grains with aluminum insert and 125 point. Can I get away with hunting black bear/moose with this setup?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Best,
Tony

scttlp86
03-17-2021, 06:27 AM
I would go fixed. A well tuned bow shoots more efficiently and mechanicals will fly good if your fixed are flying good. There are a few bow presses out there for under 100, some even backpackable. Do some reading and watch some reputable videos on bow tuning, Its not that hard just keep track of what you change so that you can always get back to original. When tuning for broadheads the most important thing I found was to spin test every arrow every time you swap a fixed onto it. Reject even the slightest wobble and maybe try that broadhead on a different shaft until every arrow with a broadhead spins perfect.

J_T
03-17-2021, 07:47 AM
My opinion only, but you asked. I would stay with fixed. No question. Lots of reasons. But if you keep your distances closer than when you target shoot, performance becomes less of a factor. And, in 30 years of bowhunting with other bowhunters, I have tracked animals where the mechanical did not function as it should have. Like anything, if it's a moving part, it can be, that one more thing which may go wrong.

Ron.C
03-17-2021, 08:41 AM
Another vote for fixed.

Your setup is more than enough. My bow is 27.5 " draw , 56#. I still shoot the original Muzzy 100gr 3 blade fixed and have had full pass-throughs on elk out to 50 yards.

I wouldnt change to mecanical broadheads for the simple fact that they offer no benefit aside from maybe being a tad less susceptible to wind but have a higher risk of something failing on impact.

J_T
03-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Another vote for fixed.

Your setup is more than enough. My bow is 27.5 " draw , 56#. I still shoot the original Muzzy 100gr 3 blade fixed and have had full pass-throughs on elk out to 50 yards.

I wouldnt change to mecanical broadheads for the simple fact that they offer no benefit aside from maybe being a tad less susceptible to wind but have a higher risk of something failing on impact. And a 'tad' more susceptible to opening up while in the quiver, when hiking through dense bush... :-(

IronNoggin
03-17-2021, 03:11 PM
I will never shoot fixed.
My crossbow is a tad too quick for most of them, as they trend to "steer" the arrow.
Been running with mechanicals for years with damn few problems.
HUGE entrance and exit holes equals wide & short blood trails.
Good enough for me.

Cheers,
Nog

Golddust
03-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely swaying more towards fixed. Especially for bigger game that I can get closer to (moose). But I will have to get a few things and really start to tune my bow. For deer and until I have it tuned I'll be shooting the expandables because they're just screw on and go.

Nog you shoot any bears with the expandables? Thinking about trying to get out this spring for a bear with my bow. Was wondering if the length of the fur has any impact on their opening?

Cheers,
Tony

Bear Brawler
03-19-2021, 07:17 AM
Another vote for fixed! I've used mechanicals in the past but as stated, too many things can go wrong. Last ones I used were G5 Deadmeat, they jiggled in the quiver, drove me nuts. I'm 30" draw 72lbs and shoot QAD Exodus and Magnus black hornets and they fly great. If you live in Squamish and need a press, hit me up. My archery room is coming along and I'm always willing to help out.

Blockcaver
03-19-2021, 07:28 AM
I’ve arrowed a fair number of black bears. Also arrowed a brown, grizzly and polar bear. Most were taken with a 65# 29” draw compound with 385 to 520 gr arrows...last 7 seasons 475 gr arrows.

I’ve had excellent luck with 3-blade 1.5” cut NAP Spitfire mechanical heads on blacks and on the polar. No penetration issues, great flight, accurate and better blood trails than the smaller fixed blade heads I shot for years. Aim behind the shoulder for the lungs. I like them deer, caribou and bears. I did shoot the grizzly with a 1.5” wide 2 blade mechanical but wasn’t impressed with the blade trail. Good luck!

J_T
03-19-2021, 07:42 AM
To be clear, in response to your question, I'm not trying to create any horror stories for mechanicals. They can leave a huge hole and an amazing blood trail. There are different hunting scenarios where, an easy walk in, in a stand, close range, they have great results. My preference is the consistency of a fixed blade.

AllDay
03-19-2021, 07:47 AM
Fixed. Too many mechanical broadheads have opened up on me hiking through thick shit. One less point of failure

IronNoggin
03-19-2021, 02:39 PM
Nog you shoot any bears with the expandables? Thinking about trying to get out this spring for a bear with my bow. Was wondering if the length of the fur has any impact on their opening?

No apparent impact on their opening. Does them Dead.

... I’ve had excellent luck with 3-blade 1.5” cut NAP Spitfire mechanical heads on blacks and on the polar. No penetration issues, great flight, accurate and better blood trails than the smaller fixed blade heads I shot for years. Aim behind the shoulder for the lungs. I like them deer, caribou and bears.

I run with the 125 Grain Spitfires as well, with pretty much exactly the same results.

Cheers,
Nog

Bubbacanuck
03-19-2021, 03:48 PM
I shoot fixed blades with my tenpoint crossbow...simply to ensure nothing goes wrong

Golddust
03-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Another vote for fixed! I've used mechanicals in the past but as stated, too many things can go wrong. Last ones I used were G5 Deadmeat, they jiggled in the quiver, drove me nuts. I'm 30" draw 72lbs and shoot QAD Exodus and Magnus black hornets and they fly great. If you live in Squamish and need a press, hit me up. My archery room is coming along and I'm always willing to help out.

Thanks for the offer I'll have to take you up on it when I get my stuff more put together

REMINGTON JIM
03-21-2021, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Blockcaver;
I’ve had excellent luck with 3-blade 1.5” cut NAP Spitfire mechanical heads on blacks and on the polar. No penetration issues, great flight, accurate and better blood trails than the smaller fixed blade heads I shot for years. Aim behind the shoulder for the lungs. I like them deer, caribou and bears. I did shoot the grizzly with a 1.5” wide 2 blade mechanical but wasn’t impressed with the blade trail. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Hi Kurt - are those 100 gr or 125 gr heads ? Thks :smile: RJ

Fred H
04-05-2021, 06:36 AM
I have shot 4 mooses, 7 bears, around 12 deers and a zebra with mechanicals with good results. I like wide opening two blades.

Blockcaver
04-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Hi Kurt - are those 100 gr or 125 gr heads ? Thks :smile: RJ

I use the 100 gr head attached to an outsert that weighs 34 gr combined with a 22 gr stainless steel insert installed for extra arrow shaft reinforcing and a bit more forward of center. The arrow is not light up front....16% FOC The Spitfire blades are exactly the same on the 100 and 125 gr 1.5" heads. Just 25 gr more metal in the body of the heavier head, but the threaded shank is identical.

Brent.doornenbal
12-02-2021, 04:35 PM
Try a few different types of fixed blades or try and Broadhead tune your bow, my personal experience with mechanical broadheads is not good but some guys love them.

The Hermit
12-04-2021, 10:57 AM
I have arrowed lots of Blacktail deer. Have had years of killing on cull permits so I'll leave the number to your imagination. I shoot a 55 lb longbow, 55 lb recurve, and a 60 lb compound at 28" draw length.

I have tried many different mechanicals and have had many break on these little deer and a few that didn't open. Same on bear and on a cougar (shot with longbow). They still killed but ... at this point my confidence in them is too low to consider larger game. My go to broadhead is the G5 Montec Carbons for all game now. As J_T said, keep your shot distances shorter and the arrow flight becomes less critical.

BTW - Your set-up will kill anything on planet earth. Wish I was strong enough to draw that kind of weight. Good luck!

IronNoggin
12-04-2021, 12:56 PM
After NAP moved their production of the Spitfire mechanical broadhead to Taiwan, the quality control slid right into the gutter.

I put numerous ads on many forums, and collected around 2.5 dozen of the US produced ones.
Additionally, I also collected around 8 or so of the replacement kits also made in the US.

To date, I have rebuilt around 20 or so of the 125 grain Spitfires.
One in particular has killed four deer, and will be front and center looking for it's fifth this next coming week.

As I noted before, these fly exactly like my field points, and produce excellent (and rather short) blood trails.

They will remain my Go-To until such time as I fling the last one in hot pursuit.

Cheers,
Nog

Shaughnles
03-30-2022, 05:49 AM
I have only used rage hypodermic's in the past, but am switching to day 6 evo's for this year. They fly great but the last time I used them (hog in saskatchetoon) only one side opened up, aside from that you typically bend blades and have to replace bits and pieces everytime they're used. That being said I've got some 100gr heads I'll give someone a good deal on!

donny.brooke
04-02-2022, 01:14 PM
All things mechanical will eventually fail, shoot fixed blades for ultamite reliability.

Bear Brawler
04-03-2022, 09:04 AM
I've swapped to DaySix EVO's they fly perfect out to 100yards with my field points. I am actually gonna be trying the IRON WIll single bevels this year. I just ordered 6 of the single bevel 125gr Iron Wills this morning.

Cammolad
04-29-2022, 09:55 PM
As has been stated by others. Go with fixed and heavy at that. More blood more blades (3 or 4), deeper penitration 2 blades.

fozzy
05-08-2022, 11:37 AM
I run fixed blade and tuned my bow to shoot them exactly as my field points which isn't that hard to do.

When I was tuning my set up I was wishing QAD had a micro adjustable rest, now they do.

warnniklz
05-08-2022, 11:49 AM
I'm not really an archer. But I've had a couple "aww shit" moments with mechanicals. Muzzy trocar fixed blades have made "oh shit" shots into lethal shots. Giving pro series Grimm reapers a whirl this bear season.

IronNoggin
06-30-2022, 03:37 PM
I've had a couple "aww shit" moments with mechanicals.

I'd guess this could be considered an aww shit moment:

This big dry doe turned just as I let a 405 grain Zombie Slayer fly.
Did not hit where intended.

https://i.imgur.com/QYuzhaW.jpg

Tipped with a 125 grain Spitfire mechanical, the damage it did on impact was truly amazing:

https://i.imgur.com/cxzt5OF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4h8Tm7o.jpg

Blew right through her at over 60 yards, taking out both lungs and the aorta.
Left a blood trail that was incredible, but tumbled a long way down that slope after she expired.
Made for a crappy drag uphill.

Looked to me like a hit from a 30-06.

Cheers,
Nog

wildcatter
06-30-2022, 04:36 PM
I'm not a bow hunter, but the damage it did is unbelievable!
I can see you needed a drink to finish the job.:lol:

JPederson
09-03-2022, 04:26 PM
I would say aim to use fixed blades and figure out the tuning part, as its pretty important when it comes to actual penetration. I mean you could just adjust your sight to make sure broadheads land where you aim but that doesn't really mean you're getting good penetration. Tuning isn't too difficult. Typically what I do during the off season, especially after installing a new string, I'll shoot a bareshaft or two with my fletched arrows at the range. When it comes time to hunt if my bareshafts and fletched have been grouping at say 20, 30 & 40 yards I don't even need to worry about my broadhead flight (although I still check it, damn ethics). I purchased a portable press that's approved by the bow manufacturer and did a lot of research on tuning.