PDA

View Full Version : Hiking boots vs hunting boots

andrew5
03-16-2021, 11:11 AM
Hi all,

Time to replace my old boots after a decade + of use. This is a bit of a "new hunter" question, but is there any legitimate benefit to using hunting boots versus regular hiking boots?

context:

I have worn Solomon Quest 4D GTX boots for a long time now, and they work well for me. I have used them the first three years of my hunting career and I don't see any reason not to buy another pair. Should I go with "if it ain't broke..." or consider getting hunting specific boots?

Camo on my boots doesn't matter to me. In fact, I'd rather have non camo for when I am using them in non-hunting settings.

looking for a standard all around hunting boot good for backcountry solo multi day, but nothing for Sheep or Goat.

any consensus on favorites out there?

bighornbob
03-16-2021, 11:15 AM
I would wear what works best for you and forget what they say they should be used for.

bhb

Bustercluck
03-16-2021, 11:23 AM
I think the big difference comes down to if you’re packing a load on multi day trips, or hiking with a day bag looking for animals. If you’re packing a heavy bag then I’d go with a good rigid mountain boot and if you’re day hunting I’d go with whatever is comfortable, waterproof and decent ankle support.

jvezina
03-16-2021, 11:24 AM
I'm a stick with what works kind of guy, personal preference, unless i'm going to need my rubber boots I pretty much use the same pair for everything from hunting to hiking.

Treed
03-16-2021, 11:25 AM
I like Scarpa - I use the SL active. They last forever. I use Obenauf’s on them.

Bustercluck
03-16-2021, 11:31 AM
One thing I will mention. It seems like the consensus on goretex lined is it works good for about a year.

whitlers
03-16-2021, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'hunting' specific boots. All I can think of are camo Irish Setters or something that would be deemed a 'hunting' boot. Mostly all marketing crap.

If you plan on hiking alot in steep country with a pack then get yourself a good pair of hiking boots. Hanwag, La Sportiva, Scarpa, Meindl etc etc.

I can't speculate on the Solomons you have but if they work for your hunting style and they have been good to you then maybe you have found the boot for you!

Ron.C
03-16-2021, 12:11 PM
I love the fit of my Hanwag Alaskans. But they are uninsulated and I find my feet get very cold in Oct while sitting/glassing. But when hiking they are absolutely awesome and very comfortable in warmer weather.

My next set will have some insulation.

adriaticum
03-16-2021, 12:25 PM
Asolo and Salomon for me.
I bought Asolo over Salomon just beucase it was a sale on them..

SkyView in Surrey always has something on sale I find.
https://skyviewcamping.com/collections/mens-footwear

They always manage to part me from my money when I walk in there.

They have Scarpa, Merrel, Handwank etc.

tundraman
03-16-2021, 05:28 PM
Asolo is my go to boot for hiking with a light pack. they are so comfortable and waterproof. I picked up a pair on sale there too.

pappy
03-16-2021, 05:44 PM
I have some scarpa's that are around 10 years old, they are dedicated mountain hunting boots. They are stiff and very good in the steep. I have some lowa's for general hiking/hunting, they are about 6 years old now. I like the lowa's for elk n deer type hunts. They are also back up boots in the truck if needed on a sheep hunt.

J_T
03-16-2021, 06:05 PM
I think the big difference comes down to if you’re packing a load on multi day trips, or hiking with a day bag looking for animals. If you’re packing a heavy bag then I’d go with a good rigid mountain boot and if you’re day hunting I’d go with whatever is comfortable, waterproof and decent ankle support.This is the difference. Take a nice hiking, or driving boot and get on to rock and steep sidehill, then add a load on it, and a boot that doesn't have sideways rigidity is going to just be destroyed in no time at all. I've used the Asolo boot for a long time. And they hold up. I've tried North Face, and they didn't last past the first pack out. I have not found success with marketing that says, they're gortex and waterproof. Waterproof is thick leather (Asolo) warmed up in the sunshine without laces and copious quantities of Snowseal applied and left to soak in. I have not used the Scarpa, but a lot of guys I know do use them with very good long term results. I do notice when hiking with friends, the Scarpa squeak a bit. Not sure if others have noticed that.

Bustercluck
03-16-2021, 06:12 PM
I’ll add one more thing. Mountain boots tend to be heavier and more expensive than “hiking boots”. So buy what fits the bill.

Hadda
03-16-2021, 06:32 PM
No difference

walker1985
03-16-2021, 08:11 PM
I love my Crispi Nevada's they're so comfortable. I've only had them for a year but I didn't even break them in and I had no issues whatsoever.

Treed
03-16-2021, 09:46 PM
I wouldn’t get gortex lined boots. The gortex can break down and leak. A good full grain leather boot that is properly treated will keep your feet dry. I switched to Obenaufs (Cabelas sells it). It is by far the best waterproofing/ leather maintenance product I have ever used.

2jimmy's
03-16-2021, 10:56 PM
I walked the soles off a pair of Lowa Tibet over several years. I sent them back to the manufacturer and for $150 they resoled, replaced the rand, treated the leather, new laces and new insoles. Like a new pair of boots and fit like a slipper.

Ask about resoling when shopping for boots.

tinhorse
03-16-2021, 11:16 PM
I really liked the lowa renegades. Very comfy and paste me 6+ years of forestry,hiking and hunting use. Not insulated so not for cold weather but for fall they were awesome

Philblock
03-17-2021, 01:50 AM
Kennetrek mountain extremes in my opinion is the best mountain hunting boot you can by.

Redthies
03-17-2021, 08:08 AM
Buy what fits you best and you’ve had success with. I can buy Solomons just by size without trying them on. They are that consistent. Same goes for La Sportiva. My mountain boots are Sportivas that I’ve had for close to 20 years. They only get a handful of days per year, but they are amazing boots. My previous ones lasted 10 years with more like 50 days per year and were still fantastic but some dickhead broke in to my trailer and stole the right boot, along with the right of my Daytons. I told the cops to find a one legged crack head in Squamish and they’d have their man...

Back on topic though, OP- if your Solomons work for you, just stick with them!

Sitkaspruce
03-17-2021, 07:39 PM
I am a hiking boot until October moose hunting, then I switch.

I have used the Solomons 4D and had great luck with them. I am now wearing Selewa Mountain Trailer Mid and they are the best hiking boot I have worn. I wear my hikers from Feb to October and avg 500km hiking, walking the dog, scouting, shed hunting and hunting elk, moose and deer. The Selewa's are little stiffer than the Solomons, but fit much better, have a lace up toe cap and all around rubber rand.

Once Moose season comes, I switch to Hunting boots and Muck Boots and wear Meindls and Arctic Pro as I like the higher boot for snow.

Add Gaiters to all boots and you have a good waterproof system for wet brush, wet snow and mud.

Find boots that fit and wear them with what you would use hunting, including wearing your pack with what you estimate would be a weight in the pack and go for a hike, up and down and side hill.

Cheers

SS

madcalfe
03-18-2021, 06:11 AM
id go with a good pair of hiking boots over a "marketed hunting boot" like the Irish setters, Danners, under armor and so on
I'm literally starting to phase out all my kuiu stuff for top quality hiking gear.
Scarpa, lowa, hanwaag, la sportiva, salewa all good quality brands, find a boot that fits your foot.

Bustercluck
03-18-2021, 03:17 PM
id go with a good pair of hiking boots over a "marketed hunting boot" like the Irish setters, Danners, under armor and so on
I'm literally starting to phase out all my kuiu stuff for top quality hiking gear.
Scarpa, lowa, hanwaag, la sportiva, salewa all good quality brands, find a boot that fits your foot.
just curious, Is there any particular reason you’re getting out of the kuiu game and into something else? From what I’ve seen their gear seems as good as any good quality hiking gear, but probably more expensive.

I have a mix of hunting and hiking gear. I do like the looks of the Sitka dew point jacket and I may pick one up, but it would be roughly the same cost and quality of a good quality arcteryx or similar.

Fella
03-18-2021, 03:33 PM
I have used the same pair of Lowa Tibet’s for the last 6 years and they’re still going strong, if you take care of them they should last a long time. Mine don’t leak at all, even though I wear them a lot in the island downpours slipping through mushy bog, and they kept my feet warm with a good pair of wool socks when that cold snap hit back in October and it was -25 with 2 feet of snow.

Weatherby Fan
03-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Boots are definitely a personal thing, they need to fit period.

I use Helly Hansen Odin HT hikers, waterproof, stiff, fairly light and warm, I wear them from Sept to Dec, haven't found a better boot for me yet.

http://i.imgur.com/JA9qrdC.jpg (https://imgur.com/JA9qrdC)

http://i.imgur.com/Ka0bMkp.jpg (https://imgur.com/Ka0bMkp)

andrew5
03-18-2021, 07:12 PM
some good points on getting hiking boots designed for hiking with weight, rather than just branded "hunting" boots. I think weight is a massive variable too, especially when going up or covering long distances. It's one thing to get bomb proof footwear, but I would almost prioritize light weight and maybe a bit less durable over something that will last 20 years. especially if you are racking up km's by foot getting way back still hunting or spot and stalk. I would say that waterproof weight, ankle support and rigidity are top of the list for me.

Ohwildwon
03-18-2021, 07:32 PM
“Hiking boot” is to vague..

“Back Packing” boot is more specific to a Hunters need

of carrying weight over EVERY type of terrain..

I purchased the Salomon 4d for its light weight and breath ability during

the hot early September days.

Not impressed at all with ankle support under weight.

I have the Scarpa sl active for general hunting, highly recommend!

What is most important though is finding a boot that fits your foot

like a glove, and always get a half size larger to accommodate foot swell,

another layer of socks, or heading down hill with weight.

Ive lost both big toe nails with the later problem.

Took close to a year for them to regenerate...

whitlers
03-18-2021, 07:45 PM
Boots are definitely a personal thing, they need to fit period.

I use Helly Hansen Odin HT hikers, waterproof, stiff, fairly light and warm, I wear them from Sept to Dec, haven't found a better boot for me yet.

http://i.imgur.com/JA9qrdC.jpg (https://imgur.com/JA9qrdC)

http://i.imgur.com/Ka0bMkp.jpg (https://imgur.com/Ka0bMkp)

Do you know the insulation weight by chance? I have the worst feet. They sweat in September and freeze in December.

igojuone
03-18-2021, 09:18 PM
I would wear what works best for you and forget what they say they should be used for.

bhb

This ^^^^^^^

madcalfe
03-19-2021, 06:32 AM
just curious, Is there any particular reason you’re getting out of the kuiu game and into something else? From what I’ve seen their gear seems as good as any good quality hiking gear, but probably more expensive.

I have a mix of hunting and hiking gear. I do like the looks of the Sitka dew point jacket and I may pick one up, but it would be roughly the same cost and quality of a good quality arcteryx or similar.

not really a particular reason. i have about every pant kuiu makes and only really use 2 of them but have decided this year im switching to fjallraven keb pants.(they are unbelievably comfortable) ill still be using my kuiu yukon rain gear because its done me so good. and my puffy jacket is a arcteryx. just switching to earth tone colors and wanting something that isn't hunting specific

Mr.Crumbz
03-20-2021, 03:42 PM
Comfort and support are most important for me regardless of what they boot is marketed for. I too use the Solomon Quest 4D’s, they are phenomenal in both the comfort and support departments.

REMINGTON JIM
03-20-2021, 04:41 PM
Kennetrek mountain extremes in my opinion is the best mountain hunting boot you can by.

Can those be used for Hiking in the Mountains too :?: :p RJ

Ride Red
03-20-2021, 04:46 PM

My wife and I both wear them and they are very comfortable/tough boot. First and foremost, buy what fits you best and your body will be happy, not just your feet.