PDA

View Full Version : Wolverines of the interior?

Firstblood
03-13-2021, 12:26 AM
I was out lookin for sheds with the doggo today and I always start close to home down low and work my way up from one area I see deer regularly during the winter. Didnt find any antlers but the dog got onto a smell and wouldnt leave it, she looked very interested so I went to take a look and found three patches of fur, two with good pieces of skin attached, not fresh but not old at all. Ive seen two wolverines in my life and the colour immediately was noticeable to me. Now convince me that this fur is not wolverine. The colour is unique, very very soft, stank like a mean ol critter. Could not find any more remains even when I searched with the dog but I found it under a decent tree only 20 yds from a road, I suspect it might have been roadkill and is still under the snow in the ditch and I will most certainly be back for to look. Any one else seen Wolverines in the interior of BC? What else could it be?
https://i.imgur.com/G4fNTjg.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
03-13-2021, 06:19 AM
Yes there are wolverines in the interior.
They travel great distances.

My brother killed one many moons ago in the interior that was under their camper fighting with their dog.

Several years ago, they collared one in central Washington.
It headed north across the border into Ashnola, crossed Hwy 3.....past Hedly and Princeton, swam the Thompson and then the Frazier. It eventually got killed by a cougar in the high country behind Lillooet.

One also showed up on one of the tcams for the Southern Interior Mule deer project. It’s on their calendar.

There aren’t many around but they are here.

SSS

LBM
03-13-2021, 09:50 AM
interesting find, wolverines do seem to have a distinct smell, i guess depending from what part of the body the hair/fur comes from but i dont find them to be very soft.
There was a study in Alberta and they had a few pics of some with some pretty incredable damage to them and were still running around, ones head was pretty much
striped of hair, nose split open etc could have been from fighting another animal or maybe a trap across the head that it got out of.
Will be interesting if you find more.

todbartell
03-13-2021, 09:56 AM
The trapper I give my coyotes to has gotten at least six of them in the last 2 winters. They're incredible animals. He gave my son a skull from one, we are going to get it cleaned up and bleached this spring

ACE
03-13-2021, 10:40 AM
Watched one on the gutpile of a bull I'd shot the day before. Sikanni Chief River area. Impressive.

Arctic Lake
03-13-2021, 11:22 AM
I love those wolverines ! The Little Grizzly !
Arctic Lake

RyoTHC
03-13-2021, 11:25 AM
Amazing critters, they are all over the place.. I have ran into them in my hunting grounds and surprisingly frequently see badgers as well

moosinaround
03-13-2021, 02:06 PM
I've seen 3 of them up near Bobtail Lake, West of PG. Digging in an old fire pit. Moosinaround

Stillhunting
03-13-2021, 02:20 PM
I saw 2 one evening on the way back to Moose Camp in 3-39. They were on the same road several kms apart. I also watched one drag a deer carcass across a slope down into a gully in 3-12. Cool critters for sure!

walks with deer
03-13-2021, 03:42 PM
I was out lookin for sheds with the doggo today and I always start close to home down low and work my way up from one area I see deer regularly during the winter. Didnt find any antlers but the dog got onto a smell and wouldnt leave it, she looked very interested so I went to take a look and found three patches of fur, two with good pieces of skin attached, not fresh but not old at all. Ive seen two wolverines in my life, one near here up in Sun Peaks and the colour immediately was noticeable to me. Now convince me that this fur is not wolverine. The colour is unique, very very soft, stank like a mean ol critter. Could not find any more remains even when I searched with the dog but I found it under a decent tree only 20 yds from a road, I suspect it might have been roadkill and is still under the snow in the ditch and I will most certainly be back for to look. Any one else seen Wolverines in the interior of BC? What else could it be?
https://i.imgur.com/G4fNTjg.jpg

Havent seen any wolverines could that be fox hair from the calico fox i saw where you went shed huntingg today?

Seen two badgers about 2km from where you where today

Thoney
03-13-2021, 04:57 PM
See there tracks regularly during winter in the high selkirks. Also have seen one run across in front of the sled one time. He crossed the road ran up the bank and mean mugged me.

Firstblood
03-13-2021, 05:12 PM
Seen a few badgers over the years in the same area, the fox could be possibly but the ones Ive seen have been more black than the brown of this fur. Such amazing critters the wolverine.

BCHunterFSJ
03-13-2021, 06:02 PM
One time we had just arrived in our sheep hunting area in the Cassiars and were just setting up camp when 2 wolverines walked right past us!!
My 2 young sons were freaked out...

mike31154
03-14-2021, 12:11 AM
They get around for sure. We came across tracks well above 2,000 meters ski touring up the Bluewater Glacier above Campbell Icefield Chalet. Photo taken early April 2016. Within the tenure of another back country ski touring operation in the southeast of the province a biologist had set up a rig to try & get a wolverine fur sample using some mountain goat hide wrapped in barbed wire.

Nearly topped out on the Bluewater Glacier, these tracks went up & over. The drop down the other side is precipitous.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mtkrz59M4Z8A6MdmiF0ZizePmjYIpiZSvdSR5nV9EaJYMWjI J69QqR131z97djT8kpLb3A_9sNT-d4-EqdPILQuBZKBhwuu4tbOp1HPEuJiJWKJ40HnOHe1oJjkfvqwxD lBXC13fKFRwz36W3dLrF-K8O2bwNAvR0yfoK-pGRAMvY4cr1hDGSy9bNGhc8-y27?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Fella
03-14-2021, 12:37 AM
I’ve never seen one but my dad saw one up above Boston bar years ago

Redthies
03-14-2021, 04:10 AM
I’ve only seen one wolverine before. It was up behind Braelorne just hauling butt down an FSR. I’ve never seen a fox though, but would love to.

Arctic Lake
03-14-2021, 09:54 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a relative in Prince George, the foxes sleep right by the front doors of homes in her neighbourhood .LOL !
Arctic Lake

Treed
03-14-2021, 10:18 PM
I’ve seen one up in Deer Pass in Spruce Lake. Cool critters. I read a book on them written by a biologist who trapped them and collared them. One phrase that stood out was that wolverines treat the world as if topography didn’t exist. Their travel routes and speeds would make us think the world was flat. I had a friend who ran into them multiple times. She once watched them belly slide down a snowy mountain to the valley and then run back up and do it all again.

Treed
03-14-2021, 10:21 PM
The book was: The Wolverine Way

https://www.patagonia.ca/product/the-wolverine-way-paperback-book/BK212.html

Firstblood
03-14-2021, 10:43 PM
"topography doesnt exist" Could not be more true. On a canoe trip on the hood river in Nunavut I watched a wolverine demonstrate why they are the baddest mofo in all the land. I watched a wolverine cover some serious ground on the tundra while on a day long portage around one of the biggest canyons adn waterfalls in the artcic circle, (wilberforce falls) it ran straight into the middle of the canyon with a vertical 150' cliff on both sides of class 5 whitewater with massive water falls above and below. It went straight down one side, across the river and up the other just to keep loping along, determined to get where its going. Also talked to a local and they had seen one locally this winter not far from where I found the fur.

koothunter
03-15-2021, 06:35 AM
Looks like it could be skunk. That would explain the stink as well.

LBM
03-15-2021, 07:13 AM
Looks like it could be skunk. That would explain the stink as well.
Yes and find there fuf/hair to be softer as well, and do have some similar colors

elch jager
03-15-2021, 07:51 AM
Lots of wolverine east of PG on 16. Saw 4 one weekend on our spring bear hunt.
Saw one on the Finn Tum near Avola road as well.

IronNoggin
03-15-2021, 11:31 AM
This one made a bit of a mistake in trying me on for size:

https://i.imgur.com/zQQMDig.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Downtown
03-15-2021, 12:10 PM
Lots of Wolverines in BC. If you spent much time in the Alpine you will see one hunting Ptarmigan or just going from one place to another.
A Male has a territory of several hundredth square Km we are told, personally I think in real Wilderness areas those Territorys are much smaller.

Cheers

IronNoggin
03-15-2021, 01:14 PM
... I think in real Wilderness areas those Territorys are much smaller.

According to a couple of the biologists I knew and worked with in the Arctic, even up there (Yukon North Slope study area) their ranges were determined (satellite tag programs) to be a couple hundred kilometer square. Seems they range a fair bit and that is apparently some of the nature of this beast.

Cheers,
Nog

tomcat
03-15-2021, 01:16 PM
Years ago when I trapped cayoosh cr./Duffy Lk road area I would catch one or two every year.

charlie_horse
03-15-2021, 01:39 PM
Scouting for goats off the duffy/caboose one summer we got stuck on a hill with a wolverine below us. Made us nervous with a 8month old dog and no rifle. Was cool watching him, he ripped out a marmot from his alpine hole.

caddisguy
03-15-2021, 03:37 PM
Seen 3 of them in my entire life.

One in 3-16 and two in the yard outside my mom's place just off the Langley bypass. Live one appeared to be eating the dead one.

chris1234
03-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Saw one up near trophy peak in wells gray late august chasing marmots about 300 yards away, fog blew in, it disappeared and reappeared 100 yards away looking down at me from a vantage point

Arctic Lake
03-16-2021, 09:23 PM
I would not want one of those on me ! Mini Grizzly !
Arctic Lake

Saw one up near trophy peak in wells gray late august chasing marmots about 300 yards away, fog blew in, it disappeared and reappeared 100 yards away looking down at me from a vantage point

wolfpack
03-17-2021, 06:16 AM
Saw a Wolverine chasing a mule deer a few years ago just north of Grand Forks

Danny
03-17-2021, 02:01 PM
Seen one up by Red lake (Kamloops) about 20 years ago