PDA

View Full Version : Calling cougars?

albravo2
03-12-2021, 07:03 PM
Sorry in advance if this has already been posted and discussed but I just decided to head up to the cabin tomorrow morning and I don't have much time to research this.

There is a problem cougar in the neighbourhood by my cabin. I haven't seen it myself other than on my trail cams but a couple of my neighbours have seen it multiple times and it doesn't seem to have any fear of humans or houses. I've got the afternoon to kill so I figure I'll try my luck.

Can they be called? I have a remote speaker and one of those twirly feather decoys. If so, can someone suggest where to download some calls to my phone? Everything is an app these days, I can't remember the last time I actually downloaded an mp3 to play on my phone.

There are a few wolves in the 'hood too, and coyotes. Oddly, not a lot of deer anymore.

Any help appreciated.

REMINGTON JIM
03-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Absolutely - use a Baby deer call ! Be carefull on your position as the big CAT's like to Sneak up from behind ! :smile: RJ

albravo2
03-12-2021, 07:12 PM
Absolutely - use a Baby deer call ! Be carefull on your position as the big CAT's like to Sneak up from behind ! :smile: RJ

Thanks Jim.

I'll be sure not to wear my female cougar suit;-)

albravo2
03-12-2021, 07:21 PM
I found a good app with a repeat mode and a fawn in distress call.

Giddyup. Thanks again Jimbo.

Arctic Lake
03-12-2021, 07:24 PM
Just a little fun Albravo but I don’t think you have to call them in . Just be in really buff shape and have a substantial limit on your credit card , they will come right in ! I had one follow me at dusk yesterday but I said I’m in a good relationship and I don’t have any money , she left me alone !
Arctic Lake

xlcc
03-12-2021, 07:38 PM
rabbit in distress or woodpecker will lure in a cat too.

.300WSMImpact!
03-12-2021, 08:00 PM
I usually bring my nephew as bait, the dumber he talks the more come in

adriaticum
03-12-2021, 08:26 PM
just bring a puppy

Ohwildwon
03-12-2021, 08:51 PM
just bring a puppy

I get your humour, with today’s events!

Here is another idea...

Obtain a very realistic stuffed dog toy,

Attach a 5/8” x 8 ft dowel rod at an angle that

has the stuffed bait at your 2 o clock..

Have your dog or a friends dog play with it...

Then, find some dog shit, (usually not to hard) :-P

and rub the.....

Now, head out around Dusk and have your hunter Buddy trail behind

With a Cross ........

:-P Uhm, it’s Friday night and I’m just realizing it’s time to switch to Beer

walks with deer
03-13-2021, 02:11 PM
Sorry in advance if this has already been posted and discussed but I just decided to head up to the cabin tomorrow morning and I don't have much time to research this.

There is a problem cougar in the neighbourhood by my cabin. I haven't seen it myself other than on my trail cams but a couple of my neighbours have seen it multiple times and it doesn't seem to have any fear of humans or houses. I've got the afternoon to kill so I figure I'll try my luck.

Can they be called? I have a remote speaker and one of those twirly feather decoys. If so, can someone suggest where to download some calls to my phone? Everything is an app these days, I can't remember the last time I actually downloaded an mp3 to play on my phone.

There are a few wolves in the 'hood too, and coyotes. Oddly, not a lot of deer anymore.

Any help appreciated.

Sounds like a hungry cat..cats that dont run from people are normally have quite the attitude..

If hes been seen that much just put sone time in he will show again..
That cat will attack kids or pets for sure shoot it.......

albravo2
03-16-2021, 08:20 AM
Well, the only thing we managed to kill was a bottle of scotch and a couple cigars. Saw tracks from one wolf on the way in, cool watching him mark his territory.

We didn't cut a cougar track all weekend.

Rotorwash
03-21-2021, 02:36 PM
I called one in while coyote hunting. rabbit in distress. Paid off to have tags for every situation that time. They come in hot and unbelievably fast.

mpotzold
03-21-2021, 03:10 PM
Does cooking attract cougars?
The only close encounter we ever had with a cougar was just east of Gang before Ward Creek.
While in the camper & right after Eve cooked some smoked pork chops we heard some loud roaring & screaming. Took out my shotgun & there less than 30 ft. away was this huge cougar. I
immediately shot above its head just to scare it away. It ran away quickly not to be seen again.
BTW campfires were not allowed that time.

In the same general area a guy that camped near our hunting camp was charged by a large cougar from behind & shot it just in time.
So always look behind when there's cougar in the area. Never let your guard down.

604Stalker
03-22-2021, 10:13 PM
I used to use craigslist to call cougers.. Then it was partys ... Nowdays I stick to rabbit and fawn in distress calls wayyyy less issues .. Go eairly or late start with a set of 15-20 mins putnone in the chamber and keep your eyes and ears on point... Helps to sit back to back.. If this dosnt work try the west van boathouse great for cougers.

Treed
03-22-2021, 10:46 PM
The deer stopper by deer talk has inadvertently called in a few for me using the distress call. Made me a little wary about using it close to dark. Getting chirped at by a cougar is unsettling to say the least.

Deer_Slayer
05-02-2021, 10:13 AM
I usually just sit at bar and flash some cash. It's silent but deadly.

Deer_Slayer
05-02-2021, 10:15 AM
lol seems to work in Port Moody so why not