PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron-who has one?

Bustercluck
03-12-2021, 03:06 AM
I’m in the market for a new tent. I was going to get another msr 3 man hubba, but after reading some reviews of the new model and looking at the price I’m thinking of going a different route. Some of my concerns about a tipi or semi free-standing tent is being able to stake it out anywhere. I tend to move around quite a bit and sometimes find myself scrambling to get camp set up late In the day which usually happens to be inclement weather. Condensation? I think it would be good for heading out late season with a stove, but I don’t think it will work for some of the family trips/backcountry camping trips where the tent pads aren’t very big.

Who’s using one of these? Pros cons?
Are they duty exempt? How much was it all in?
Are you using the liner?
is it hard to find a spot big enough to pitch it? I think they’re around 10’ wide. Do you use it as more of a base camp and do day hikes from your tent?
I’m assuming you need to use the carbon pole they sell. Or can you use the trekking pole adapter thing they sell?

604ksmith
03-12-2021, 07:23 AM
I've had one for 3 years now and love it.

Pros:
- Very simple to setup
- Having no floor is now considered a luxury (no worry about taking off boots, keeping tent clean etc..)
- Withstands wind/rain/snow well
- Lots of room for 2 guys and a stove, or 3 guys and no stove.
- Can leave the pole at home and find/cut a branch (or use trekking poles) to use as the centre pole.
- With no pole it then stuffs literally anywhere in your pack
- Warranty is great. I haven't used mine, but a friend had theirs tear. It was replaced for free, no questions asked, and he bought it used.

Cons:
- You will have to convince your buddies they won't die without a floor
- Mosquitos will drive you insane if you use it before the first good frost. Spring bear or scouting trips require headnet, or the like
- Condensation will definitely occur, however I've never had it be an issue with my bags (synthetic or hydrophobic down bags)

I don't use a liner as I felt that I wanted the simplest tipi possible, and sorry I can't remember the price.
I use mine for everything. Late season hunts with the stove, spring bear/scout trips, and atv trips.
I find it easy to find an area large enough to pitch at all. With no floor, you can pitch in areas I wouldn't want a tent in (shale and gravel).

Bustercluck
03-12-2021, 07:30 AM
Thanks for that. I’m guessing it’s not worth getting the mosquito net on the door?

dapesche
03-12-2021, 09:05 AM
I have the redcliff and use it a few times now. Have the liners which are nice.

I have the net as well but haven't used it yet. Possibly with family but wouldn't pack that thing in for a hunt.
If you are using for hunting only then I wouldn't bother, but be 100% about that decision because shipping isn't cheap.

If I was going to do it again, I'd likely buy two half nests and not the full nest. The full was more of a family decision, but I'd consider packing the half nest and half liner on a hunt.

264mag
03-12-2021, 09:54 AM
I use the redcliff for a mobile 3 man elk hunting camp. I run the liners and 1/2 nest on one side. On the other side I have a one man nest from 6 moon designs. This allows safe use of a stove. We pack a 3 w stove. This is an amazing set up. Its tight with 3 guys but very manageable. The entire camp can be set up in 10 mins, weighs about 8 lbs total. We find the trick to pitching is just to make sure the nests are on level ground. Beyond that you can set this up almost anywhere.

waserwolf
03-12-2021, 11:24 AM
Buster.....where are you located? I'm in Armstrong, if you're close u r welcome to check out my Cimarron and SXL Stove so u know what it's like. If you're not close we can discuss via phone call. PM me.

tdot
03-12-2021, 11:31 AM
I don't have the Cimarron, but have a slightly larger version of a pyramid tent from Hyperlight Mountain Gear and a slightly smaller version from Locus Gear. Personally I'd have a hard time switching back to a normal freestanding tent.

Setup time is as fast or even faster then some of my freestanding tents.

I've always been able to find a spot to setup, though do prefer the slightly smaller Locus Gear Hapi XL for Mountain hunts. I've had small trees or bushes in my tents on several occasions, a freestanding tent wouldn't have fit in those spots. Certainly in high alpine, exposed rock it gets a little bit more difficult, not impossible, just a bit more work.

Carbon poles from Ruta Lucora are awesome. I've got an extension from them for my trekking poles and can use one to setup the tent and then keep the 2nd one with me. I haven't personally cut a pole, though it could certainly work.

I use a nest with the family or summer outings, if I'm solo I have a bug bivy.

There is a learning curve to dealing with condensation, once you get it, it's fairly easy to prevent.

I had a DCF Cimarron on order, but found a used HMG while I was waiting. Don't use a stove anymore, so jumped on the HMG instead of waiting for 6-9 months for the DCF Cimarron. But would certainly buy from Seek Outside if I decided to go back to a stove. I rush shipped all of my Seek Outside packs, and avoided paying any duty or brokerage on any of my gear that I've ordered from them.

Bustercluck
03-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Buster.....where are you located? I'm in Armstrong, if you're close u r welcome to check out my Cimarron and SXL Stove so u know what it's like. If you're not close we can discuss via phone call. PM me.
I’m not anywhere near Armstrong, but I’ll send u a pm.

It sounds like everybody who has one likes them. Seeing as how I already have 2 conventional tents, it’s probably worth trying out one of these. I’m just not sure if I can splurge for the whole package or just buy the tipi and add a stove and nest for it later.

boilerroom
03-12-2021, 02:12 PM

Kudos waserwolf - great to see hunters helping hunters.

604ksmith
03-12-2021, 08:25 PM
For what it's worth, I did not buy my stove from Seek Outside, but from LiteOutdoors (An Alberta company) as it's considerably cheaper.

However, LiteOutdoors is a cylinder stove so it's not ideal for cooking/coffee pots...but once the stove dimples from heat, you can make due.

grantk
03-12-2021, 09:17 PM
I've got the Cimarron and really like it. Floorless is great. I don't think it's worthwhile getting the mosquite nets on the doors. It is made in USA, so duty exempt, however be prepared to be hosed on US/CAD exchange and shipping costs. I had mine shipped to a relative living in the US at the time so didn't pay tax and very little shipping, and I still think it was around $900 for the tent, 1/2 nest, and carbon pole.

I bought the LiteOutdoors stove for it rather than the Seek Outside. I only use the nest liner in spring/summer before the bugs are gone. I'd imagine the trekking pole thing would work fine, but I want to have my poles available for hiking from the tent and opted for the carbon pole.

Finding a suitable spot is definitely a bit more challenging than something like a 2p pup tent, but having the extra room is awesome.

If I were in your position, I'd be buying the LiteOutdoors Isola 4 tent. You can get the tent, nest liner, AND 18" titanium stove for under $900, with free shipping from Alberta. Wish it was available when I bought my setup.

Bustercluck
03-12-2021, 10:40 PM
I've got the Cimarron and really like it. Floorless is great. I don't think it's worthwhile getting the mosquite nets on the doors. It is made in USA, so duty exempt, however be prepared to be hosed on US/CAD exchange and shipping costs. I had mine shipped to a relative living in the US at the time so didn't pay tax and very little shipping, and I still think it was around $900 for the tent, 1/2 nest, and carbon pole.

I bought the LiteOutdoors stove for it rather than the Seek Outside. I only use the nest liner in spring/summer before the bugs are gone. I'd imagine the trekking pole thing would work fine, but I want to have my poles available for hiking from the tent and opted for the carbon pole.

Finding a suitable spot is definitely a bit more challenging than something like a 2p pup tent, but having the extra room is awesome.

If I were in your position, I'd be buying the LiteOutdoors Isola 4 tent. You can get the tent, nest liner, AND 18" titanium stove for under $900, with free shipping from Alberta. Wish it was available when I bought my setup.
I was looking at these a year or two ago. When I started looking a couple weeks ago I couldn’t find them on a google search. I couldn’t remember their name, but I thought they were in loydminister. Maybe I looked on their site and kept scrolling because of the giant American flag at the top of their page.

Id like to buy the whole setup from them if it works out. I’d much rather buy canadian

Bustercluck
03-12-2021, 11:09 PM
Now the question is... isola 4 or plateau 5?

oddsix
03-13-2021, 08:07 AM
Buster, not sure if you've seen this but here is a link to a review a member did on the Plateau 5 - see page 3. There are also a few decent reviews on Rokslide.

LiteOutdoors Plateau 5 Man (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?149203-LiteOutdoors-Plateau-5-Man&highlight=plateua)

Blacktail 270
03-13-2021, 09:52 AM
I just purchased the isola 4, carbon pole and the 18" stove. Set it up in the living room because its still winter up here. I tied the tent to the furniture so couldn't get it tight but I was impressed with the room that it has. Cant wait to set it up in the yard. Great quality tent from what I could see. I also set up the stove in the driveway and had a fire in it and worked as it should have. I researched this set up to death and liteoutdoors gear is the way to go for Price, quality, usability, and weight. All the things I was looking for in a teepee tent and it was sold to me by a good Canadian guy from Alberta.

Bustercluck
03-13-2021, 10:28 AM
I just purchased the isola 4, carbon pole and the 18" stove. Set it up in the living room because its still winter up here. I tied the tent to the furniture so couldn't get it tight but I was impressed with the room that it has. Cant wait to set it up in the yard. Great quality tent from what I could see. I also set up the stove in the driveway and had a fire in it and worked as it should have. I researched this set up to death and liteoutdoors gear is the way to go for Price, quality, usability, and weight. All the things I was looking for in a teepee tent and it was sold to me by a good Canadian guy from Alberta.
Do you think you’d fit 3 adults and gear in there? 2 guys gear and stove? This will be for primarily for backpacking

KBC
03-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Following this one. I think I've decided on the Cimarron and a half nest for when the bugs are out (or my wife joins me). I'm in the middle of building a titanium stove for it. The Lite Outdoors option looks good too but a bit heavier. Anyone know if the Lite Outdoors tents are made in Canada?

Bustercluck
03-13-2021, 11:02 AM
Following this one. I think I've decided on the Cimarron and a half nest for when the bugs are out (or my wife joins me). I'm in the middle of building a titanium stove for it. The Lite Outdoors option looks good too but a bit heavier. Anyone know if the Lite Outdoors tents are made in Canada?

I sent him an email last night, when he replies I’ll ask. I’m betting the stoves are made in Canada and I’m thinking 50/50 if the tents are.

Blacktail 270
03-13-2021, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you could fit three guys in there and no gear. Really, the layout because of the pole is two, gear, and stove. My main use for it will be hiking in and hunting from it for solo or two guys. I'm replacing my backpacking tent with it so I will have more space and the ability to dry gear. The tents are not made here and there is a write-up on their website about it.

nimpkish
03-13-2021, 11:16 AM
I have a cimmaron and a lite-outdoors stove.

I feel the tent is great in some situations, others I still prefer a conventional free-standing tent. Seam sealing is easy, doing it yourself will save some money, I recommend using Windshield Silicone from CT. It flows better. Carbon Pole is worth it too. I don't think the bug screens are worth the weight, keep it simple. Depending on how tall you are, a liner may be beneficial. This comes into play when laying in your sleeping bag. You don't want to your head or toes contacting the tent walls.

I am located in Williams Lake. Happy to show you the setup if in the area. Cheers

grantk
03-13-2021, 06:38 PM
I'm pretty sure the tents are made overseas, but from what I've read the quality is very good.

Bustercluck
03-13-2021, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the tents are made overseas, but from what I've read the quality is very good.
That might be a deal breaker for me. I hate buying from China, no matter what the quality is like.

jac
03-13-2021, 07:50 PM
The lite tents are made In Asia

CVMike
03-14-2021, 03:56 PM
I just ordered a cimmaron, large stove, and half nest and the final bill was just north of $1400. No bug net. They estimated 4-6 weeks shipping time so I should be able to test it out this bear season

grantk
03-14-2021, 05:24 PM
I just ordered a cimmaron, large stove, and half nest and the final bill was just north of $1400. No bug net. They estimated 4-6 weeks shipping time so I should be able to test it out this bear season

Yikes! I like my Cimarron, but even at the $900 I paid for mine I shake my head every time I setup at the cost for what is essentially a shaped tarp and pole. I'm all for supporting made in NA stuff, but when you can buy two of the LiteOutdoors tents and the stove for the same price, supporting a Canadian entreprenuer, it gets pretty tough to justify.

jac
03-14-2021, 06:28 PM
I’m interested in the lite outdoors Isola 4. I have not seen one in person but they look pretty nice

Bustercluck
03-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Plateau 5 with carbon pole is $610 cad compared to the cimarron which is probably the closest in size at $495 usd($616 canadian Pesos) plus shipping and duty.

grantk
03-14-2021, 07:05 PM
I think you forgot to select the stove jack option on the cimmaron. The single door version with stove jack and carbon pole is $685 cad plus shipping, and it still needs a couple hours of seam sealing work once it arrives.

grantk
03-14-2021, 07:14 PM
Anyone used both for an inside space comparison? The LO tents have steeper walls than the SO tents, how does this translate to usable space inside? The Plateau 5 has about 20% more floor space than the cimarron, plus an extra foot of headroom. The Isola 4 is about 20% smaller footprint but the same height.

Mark-R
03-14-2021, 10:25 PM
I ran both the Eolus and the Cimarron last season.
Here's my strategy for using them throughout the season.

Eolus: (canopy, cordage, stakes) 1.41 lbs: (/w nest) 2.63 lbs

I want a fast and light setup for use with trekking poles. Great for solo missions, with wifey or hunting buddy.
Spring bear, summer scouting I use the nest. Nest is a must for intense summer bugs.
Later season I can go floorless conditions permitting. Makes for a very light setup.
I plan to sleep peacefully in the nest during tick season. After watching Gritty's spring bear hunts with ticks crawling over their sleeping bags, yeah no thanks.
The nest is also nice when it's cold and breezy as it cuts the draft a bit.
Eolus with its gap to ground has good airflow and reduces condensation.
Easy to pack up and move on everyday. If I'm staying in same spot more than one day, I can easily cut two poles using my little SAK saw and free up my trekking poles.
Generally, days are long, nights are short, so I'm in the shelter mainly to sleep.

Cimarron: (canopy, stakes, cordage, carbon pole) 3.44 lbs (/w large u-turn stove) 5.56 lbs

The use for this setup starts to become preferable when the days are shorter, nights are longer and bugs are done.
When there is more chance of dealing with wet and/or cold weather, I go for the hot tent setup.
I'm generally going to pick a spot where I can set up the tipi/stove for more than one day since it's a bit more work packing and unpacking.
Footprint you're looking at 8"x10" but floorless is more forgiving with twigs, roots, rocks and bumps.
I went with 2 door model thinking it would be nice to have a second exit in case of high wind /w rain and second door is nice for stacking wood.
Carbon pole is no brainer to setup and weight is minimal.

I have to say that all 3 deer I got this season were directly possible because of the Cimarron /w stove.
1st one was during a nasty weekend that cleared up momentarily Sunday evening to Monday morning. Then rain started again.
I glassed him at last light for 10 seconds and put him down at first light.
I would not have bothered to be out that whole weekend in those miserable conditions without the comfort of the wood stove.

2nd deer was packed out during a snow storm. Again having that wood stove to come back to at 12am is game changer.
3rd was 6 days spent in late november including a snow storm towards the end.
Without a comfy wood stove while chillin in my base layers and looking over maps making plans for the next day, no way am I spending all those cold nights in a damp tent with damp gear.
One of my favorite advantages of floorless is to roll over, unzip and pee out of your sleeping bag. It just disappears into the ground and back to sleep you go.

Hopefully this helps a bit when deciding on all the options for your setup.

Mark-R
03-14-2021, 10:51 PM
I forgot to mention condensation for the Cimarron. Yes the walls do get wet overnight. I try to keep from touching them but it happens and things can get a little wet.
I have a regular down bag and have never felt anything from inside my bag even though the outside can get wet.
But once the stove gets hot everything dries out quickly so for me liners are redundant when using a stove.

Bustercluck
03-15-2021, 05:35 AM
I forgot to mention condensation for the Cimarron. Yes the walls do get wet overnight. I try to keep from touching them but it happens and things can get a little wet.
I have a regular down bag and have never felt anything from inside my bag even though the outside can get wet.
But once the stove gets hot everything dries out quickly so for me liners are redundant when using a stove.
I watched the comparison video on the so website and it looked like the cimarron light model was slightly different where you could lift up the edges to get some draft. I was thinking a guy could probably jam a log or rock under the skirt to get some draft if he wanted to help with condensation while not using the stove.

waserwolf
03-15-2021, 07:06 AM
If you make some tie outs from the bottom Tie Out Loops you can raise the Cimmaron off the Ground

jac
03-25-2021, 12:54 PM
I ordered a cimarron light with the carbon pole today. Cant wait to try it out

Bustercluck
03-25-2021, 01:28 PM
I ordered a cimarron light with the carbon pole today. Cant wait to try it out
Did you get in on the scratch and dent sale?

I ordered one with a half nest last week. They called and let me know it’ll ship in two weeks after the nest is complete.

jac
03-25-2021, 01:49 PM
I got it from the sale. It shipped already

revyhunter
03-28-2021, 01:02 PM
I have a Cimarron Light with Large U-turn stove. Ran me $1100 CDN all-in with duties. Seekoutside orders are not exempt from duties. I haven't had any trouble finding large enough spaces to pitch it. I guess that would just depend on where you're setting up camp. The whole kit and kaboodle weighs in less than my 3 man MSR tent and is definitely light enough to use for spike camps.

You can use the carbon pole or trekking poles, but I'd recommend the carbon pole. You're going to want your trekking poles handy when you fill your tag. ;)

I didn't opt for the bug screen as I generally wont be using it during bug season and there are other ways to manage bugs that don't require extra weight.

jac
03-28-2021, 02:20 PM
They should not have duty just the tax

Iron Sighted
04-13-2021, 06:46 AM
They should not have duty just the tax

Can confirm, they are not duty exempt, I got hit with an extra $180 or so when my Cimarron and stove arrived a couple weeks ago.

jac
04-13-2021, 07:05 AM
Yes if you bought something that was made by seek outside there is only taxes to
be paid at border. I got my shelter and I had to pay tax that’s it

Bustercluck
05-11-2021, 10:30 AM
I brought mine for a test drive in the back yard last night with my two boys. I pitched it close to the ground to see how bad the condensation would be and it was almost nil. It was fairly windy and 5-6 degrees. It sure started flapping around in the wind, so I extended the pole in the middle of the night and it quiet down quite a bit, once again I’m sure the guy lines would’ve helped with this. Definitely not enough room for 4 guys my size and gear, but two adults and a smaller person would be ok(for full disclosure I didn’t set the guy lines, because there isn’t always somewhere to tie off so I left it as is). There’s a good amount of room if the weather turns shitty and you get stuck inside or changing clothes etc getting in and out of your sleeping bag.

Last night really reminded me how much I need a new sleeping pad though. Maybe Father’s Day or my birthday willl bring one. I’m also going to see about sewing up a pillow case that I could maybe stuff my blow up pillow in one side and stuff a down jacket or shirts In the other for something nicer to rest my head on. Kind of a double layer set up.

Im still deciding on a stove. I’m leaning towards getting a lite outdoors stove or the g-stove. I can’t really decide if I’ll use the stove for backpacking or more for quad trips.

jac
05-11-2021, 10:36 AM
I bought a borah bivy sack to use in my cimarron. In about a month will get this setup
into the alpine

KBC
05-11-2021, 02:12 PM
I was just thinking about this thread. I ordered a cimarron on Sunday night with the carbon pole and half nest. I’m almost finished building a stove for it, I just need to finish a few details. Maybe I’ll start a thread with pics and details/questions about the stove.

jac
05-11-2021, 09:29 PM
Kbc I would like to see pics and info on the stove if you have time

butthead
05-12-2021, 04:58 PM
try one of these

https://hennessyhammock.ca/?geolocation_redirect=true

youtube has lots of stuff also

KBC
05-12-2021, 09:48 PM
Kbc I would like to see pics and info on the stove if you have time
I posted a thread on it here;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?164989-DIY-titanium-stove-build&p=2253760#post2253760

Bustercluck
05-19-2021, 05:27 PM
My lite outdoors stove showed up today. It assembled a lot easier than I expected. I’m working nights tonight and ran out of time to assemble the pipe and burn it in. I got the baffle, spark arrestor and a 7 foot pipe.
https://i.imgur.com/BTr7lNO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VZ96fvz.jpg

dapesche
05-20-2021, 05:55 AM
be careful with the tensioning of those 3 bolts. In the How to video it tells you to tighten them but they are already pretty tightened with the appropriate tension. When I burnt my stove in the cylinder buckled at the spot that the pipe enters the stove due to the extra pressure that actually wasn't needed.

the set up is slick but just be careful. If you did tighten them up be sure to loosen them again before burning in.

Bustercluck
05-20-2021, 06:31 AM
be careful with the tensioning of those 3 bolts. In the How to video it tells you to tighten them but they are already pretty tightened with the appropriate tension. When I burnt my stove in the cylinder buckled at the spot that the pipe enters the stove due to the extra pressure that actually wasn't needed.

the set up is slick but just be careful. If you did tighten them up be sure to loosen them again before burning in.
I actually didn’t have time to screw around with it. I’ll leave them as is.

RackStar
05-20-2021, 06:54 AM
How much do you figure you saved going with that stove over the SO stoves?

Iltasyuko
12-15-2021, 07:43 PM
Is there an outside temperature when condensation in tents like the Cimmaron/Redcliff starts to be a real issue to the point where a liner would be a must have item?

KBC
12-15-2021, 07:56 PM
I have a half nest for mine. With my wife and I in the summer heat there was condensation as well as in October with my son and no stove and temperatures around freezing. Solo in October and November a little below freezing and a little above there was condensation with a stove but not too much. I noticed when the stove is going, the bottom foot of the walls still had condensation but the rest was dry.
Basically there's condensation whenever you use it but I think a lot of it comes from how wet the ground might be when you set it up. I usually had the bottom of the door opened 10" or so to let fresh air in.
So far I'm not thrilled with the condensation but having a stove is pretty amazing. I could sit on top of my sleeping bag at night in a T-shirt and read while the weather outside sucked. Since I was camping next to the truck I found I could get it hot with a fire log for a few hours and then put another one in and dampen it off and it would still be warm in the morning.

604ksmith
12-15-2021, 07:58 PM
Condensation isn't as big of an issue as some people think.

Run the sides about 4 inches above the ground, and open the top zipper for airflow. If so, condensation becomes very manageable.
And if it's raining, then condensation isn't an issue and you're more concerned with ground seep, so make sure not to setup in low lying areas.

Iltasyuko
12-15-2021, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info 604 / KBC.

KBC
12-15-2021, 08:54 PM
No problem. I’m going to pick up some of the extensions they have to try pitching it up off the ground as 604 mentioned.

604ksmith
12-15-2021, 09:08 PM
What kind of extensions are those?

Maybe I just run longer stakes then most, but my Cimmarron is "stock" and the height off the ground really just depends on how deep I run my stakes and what tension I put on the guy-lines.

604ksmith
12-15-2021, 09:09 PM

Np, hope it helps.

I love having a flourless shelter, once you get comfortable and dialled in with it, I think it's the easiest sleep shelter to use.

Bustercluck
12-15-2021, 09:21 PM
I bought the liner, nest and pole hitch, haven’t used any of them.

The condensation is always there. Like most others have figured out, if you pitch it like a tarp with lots of airflow than you won’t have condensation, but you’ll also have lots of airflow if it’s windy and you will be considerably colder than in a three season. The only time the condensation has bothered me is when I had my two kids with me and lightening storm was swirling around us. The heavy rain and wind was knocking the dew off the inside and splattering it all over my face and sleeping bag. If I would’ve propped the sides up that day it wouldn’t have helped. I’ve been in rain storms like that with my 3 season tents and stayed considerably drier, but the three seasons don’t offer the room to play cards, bs or cook when the weather is like that. So yeah, the liner might be a good purchase if you plan on using it in shitty weather.

Bustercluck
12-15-2021, 09:25 PM
If you want one more tip, maybe two. Lol

Buy yourself a collection of tent pegs. I thought the pegs they sent in the bag were made by msr, but a bunch of them bent in half when I was setting it up on my lawn. I bought a collection of different ones so I’m good in soft ground or hard. Ground hogs, mini ground hogs and the straight ones with the hook.

Look for an appropriate sized ground sheet from one of the other tent manufacturers. It’ll be lighter and more packable. I use the ground sheet from my 3 man elixir and it works well. You can usually find them on sale if you’re not picky on brand.

KBC
12-15-2021, 09:54 PM
What kind of extensions are those?

Maybe I just run longer stakes then most, but my Cimmarron is "stock" and the height off the ground really just depends on how deep I run my stakes and what tension I put on the guy-lines.

SO calls them gate keepers. Basically they just attach to the loops so you can pitch it higher.

Buy yourself a collection of tent pegs. I thought the pegs they sent in the bag were made by msr, but a bunch of them bent in half when I was setting it up on my lawn. I bought a collection of different ones so I’m good in soft ground or hard. Ground hogs, mini ground hogs and the straight ones with the hook.

This is a great tip. The pegs they come with work about 60% of the time, every time... On softer ground they are too short and rocky ground I've bent a few.

dapesche
12-16-2021, 06:41 AM
The pegs are long enough to dig into soft ground.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PQVV4MR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are also those plastic screw in pegs that would work as well.

jac
12-16-2021, 09:29 AM
I bought the cimarron light, it only has 1 door but it had peg loops that are adjustable so you can keep
it off the ground or suck it tight to the ground if needed.

BrookTrout
12-18-2021, 09:49 PM
I am 604ksmith’s buddy who’s tent tore, don’t know if it was some sort of defect or not but tore in high winds up top of the mountain! Seeks warranty is top notch no question. I was able to set it up and where in the rocks, light easy to setup. I will definately take mine up top again one day! Condensation is always there I find but just learn to live with it or if you have a stove dry it out.

they make “line loc” kits, I think that’s what they are called, but it provides a short extention on the out guy out points and raises the edges a bit to let more air in and reduce condensation, may be good for more early season in nice weather if you don’t want to worry about condensation. But I’m sure there’s many other ways to help.

i just want to note another good option for center pole is from MSR, they make an adjustable aluminum pole, they have several different sizes so you’d have to figure out which one. But I used one and worked well with my silvertip