PDA

View Full Version : Weapon of choice?

Redthies
03-09-2021, 02:55 PM
So what is everyone’s weapon of choice for upland? I have a few over/unders, a semi auto (waterfowl and turkey) and both a bolt .22 for longer range and a Henry SGC for closer .22 stuff.

I love the O/Us for upland. I have 2 20 gauges and a 12 gauge. I don’t use the 12 as much as the 20s, so it’s for sale (Winchester 101). If I didn’t have the semi auto 12 gauge I’d keep this one too.

Whats your favorite way to whack grouse, chukar and pheasant?

KodiakHntr
03-09-2021, 03:15 PM
Mathews Switchback XT, with 100gr Judo's. That brings me a lot of joy. And sometimes an RWS Magnum 350 in .177, or a Remington 541.

But archery ruffies is so incredibly satisfying.....

Redthies
03-09-2021, 10:09 PM
I think I’d probably lose a lot of arrows. And maybe my patience!

Firstblood
03-09-2021, 11:06 PM
Winchester model 24, sxs 16 gauge. Points like a dream and hits those chukars going mac 3.

CranePete
03-10-2021, 08:21 AM
Really enjoy my Stevens M512 28ga. Points like an extension of my hand, super light, and effective. More expensive to shoot than my Winchester M42, but puts more pellets on target.

sakohunter
03-10-2021, 08:36 AM
Nothing better than swinging my AYA 20 gauge for upland birds. It has become a bit of a safe queen since my dogs passed.

RyoTHC
03-10-2021, 09:30 AM
Usually just wait for one to run in front of the truck or quad instead of flying off to safety. ��
besides that, how can you beat a benelli m4 for upland, utmost reliability for when the seconds count and your life is on the line ! Adrenaline pumping as that big grouse flushes right towards you.

walks with deer
03-10-2021, 01:15 PM
Ancient bolt action 12 gauge with no bead gummy action and a bent barrel.

Linksman313
03-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Great question Redthies - i would say for Grouse, Quail Chukars and Hungy's my old (older than me) trusty Lakefield model 64B .22, catch most of these birds on the ground these days with the two sets of younger eyes accompanying me. For Pheasant I have switched from the 12 to the 20 guage and have been "borrowing" my nieces Mossberg field pump in 20G with great success (points like a dream for an entry level shotty). For the Merriam's down my way we use the trusty Win. SXP 12G although have seen a few hit dirt with the aforementioned 20G as well. I personally won't use it though (20G) lol man those Turkeys seem like their packing body armor these days, pounded one Tom in the mouth from about 20 yards with the 12G turkey load and that old boy just kept running, still had enough juice to fly to roost in a 400yr old Ponderosa. We sat on him all night, never saw another feather, must have cleared out with the girls before daybreak.
Be looking for him again this year.
Links

Redthies
03-11-2021, 09:15 AM
I’m becoming a convert to the 20 gauge as well for upland. I bought my wife a Tristar (US brand built at “higher end” factory in Turkey) 20 gauge when she passed her CORE last year. It’s a nice gun for the money, and it’s light weight has me jealous. As I’m typing this, my new Franchi Instinct 20 gauge is “out for delivery”. I was ready to spend a bit more on a Beretta, but they just don’t fit me. The Franchi fits perfectly. No matter how many times I shoulder it with my eyes closed, when I open them, I’m looking straight down the band and at the f/o bead.

I have a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl Pro that I bought a 24” turkey barrel for. That works with the big birds. I also bought a Ruger American .22LR with an 18” medium weight barrel. It’s got a 4-12x Nikon scope on it, and is a real tack driver. I took a second turkey with it last fall. It would be the ultimate Grouse sniper tool, but since we have dogs, I’m usually shooting on the wing.

I know guys guys are getting all horny for spring bear, but my hometown in the Koots keeps calling me back with some gobbles this time of year.

Redthies
03-11-2021, 09:19 AM
How can you beat a benelli m4 for upland, utmost reliability for when the seconds count and your life is on the line ! Adrenaline pumping as that big grouse flushes right towards you.

I had to defend myself this year when a wigeon turned on me! It was coming straight for my face!

Do you hunt up in the grasslands above broccolihurst? I looked at a place up towards Red Lake this winter, and it looked like some very birdy country.

Rieber
03-14-2021, 05:46 PM
Sorry, but I don't think we should be referring to our firearms as weapons.

"Weapons" send out a negative image and that's what the bad guys use. We don't use weapons.

Unless of course, a Wigeon turns on you. :roll:

RICKADY
03-14-2021, 09:07 PM
Sorry, but I don't think we should be referring to our firearms as weapons.

"Weapons" send out a negative image and that's what the bad guys use. We don't use weapons.

Unless of course, a Wigeon turns on you. :roll:

Times 2 Rieber, can't believe it didnt come up sooner.

Sportster
03-14-2021, 11:01 PM
Remington 870 wing master pump 410 cal.

Gateholio
03-15-2021, 09:17 AM
My weapon of choice for grouse for the last couple of years is a Ricoil 20 ga over under with 16" barrels. (Pic below is a 12g 14" barrel I stole from internet but close enough)

)https://bigredsfirearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Ricol-double-barrel-shotgun-featured.jpg
Most of my grouse hunting is done on the road these days although I have done some wing shooting with this gun.

Also, I'm fine with firearms being referred to as weapons. I have no problem with citizens owning weapons. Canada defines all firearms as "weapons" The BC hunting synopsis has a list of "weapons" allowed including rimfire, bow, shotgun etc.

For some reason Canadians have a big thing this. I refer to firearms as a firearm as it's more precise terminology than weapon, but weapon isn't ​wrong.

kolofardos
03-15-2021, 10:43 AM
My weapon of choice for grouse for the last couple of years is a Ricoil 20 ga over under with 16" barrels. (Pic below is a 12g 14" barrel I stole from internet but close enough)

)https://bigredsfirearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Ricol-double-barrel-shotgun-featured.jpg
Most of my grouse hunting is done on the road these days although I have done some wing shooting with this gun.

Also, I'm fine with firearms being referred to as weapons. I have no problem with citizens owning weapons. Canada defines all firearms as "weapons" The BC hunting synopsis has a list of "weapons" allowed including rimfire, bow, shotgun etc.

For some reason Canadians have a big thing this. I refer to firearms as a firearm as it's more precise terminology than weapon, but weapon isn't ​wrong.

Cool shotgun, but your ears must ring pretty good after every grouse with those short barrels

Pacemaker
03-15-2021, 10:52 AM
Remington 870 wing master pump 410 cal.

I like your choice!! Great little grouse gun......

Gateholio
03-15-2021, 12:49 PM
Cool shotgun, but your ears must ring pretty good after every grouse with those short barrels

Guns are loud. All of them

Sportster
03-16-2021, 12:24 PM
I like your choice!! Great little grouse gun......

I've owned that 410 wing master many years. Bought a matching pair from Reliable Gun and Tackle many years ago. (12ga and 410cal) Both of them are still in beautiful shape. And I'm killing birds at the same distance that my buddies are with their 20ga's, but it might be the guy behind the trigger to lol.

Foxton Gundogs
03-16-2021, 07:45 PM
Model 12 Trap with custom shop Polly Choke., 20 ga Fox double for quail.

Redthies
03-17-2021, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the back-up Clark. I use the phrase “weapon of choice” when picking my fly rod for a days fishing too. And when picking which MTB to ride. It’s just a word. If we are worried about what the antis think, we should stop talking about hunting completely. But then THEY WIN.

Redthies
03-17-2021, 03:15 AM
I've owned that 410 wing master many years. Bought a matching pair from Reliable Gun and Tackle many years ago. (12ga and 410cal) Both of them are still in beautiful shape. And I'm killing birds at the same distance that my buddies are with their 20ga's, but it might be the guy behind the trigger to lol.

I went out pheasant hunting with one of my waterfowl mentors this past season. I had my 12 gauge Winchester 101, and he had the same 870 in .410 that you have (his grandpa left him the complete matching 870 family 12, 20, 28, .410) and he made shots that blew my mind. One in particular where he dropped a rooster that broke cover way in front and flew directly away from him. He dropped it at about 35 yards and it hit the ground dead. There was not a single pellet in the legs or breasts. Lucky, or good, I’m not sure, but it gave me another reason to want to practice a lot!

Redthies
04-01-2021, 07:40 AM
So I have a new “tool” of choice. Picked up a sweet deal on a new 20 gauge Franchi O/U. It’s a beautiful gun and about a pound lighter than the 101, and the fit is amazing for me. I’m going to thoroughly enjoy carrying it this fall, and along with the new Orvis Pro LT upland vest the wife got me for Christmas, I should be far more comfortable on those all day hikes. I’ve been building up a stock of 20 gauge shot lately. It’s getting harder to find. With the wife shooting 20 as well, I’ll need a bit more than my usual stock level.

cooter303
04-01-2021, 08:28 AM
I am usually using the 22 for grouse. Sometimes the 16ga sxs.

Dutch
11-10-2021, 08:08 PM
My sweet 16 gauge model 12 still a fine piece https://i.imgur.com/bMjPYe6.jpg

Gateholio
11-10-2021, 08:26 PM
My sweet 16 gauge model 12 still a fine piece https://i.imgur.com/bMjPYe6.jpg

That's a sweet looking old shotgun!

I found a bunch of paper hull 16 gauge ammo when I was digging around my gun room the other day. I haven't had a 16 ga in many years though. :)

wideopenthrottle
11-11-2021, 12:17 PM
gave up shooting birds many years ago without really intending to but I do tend to focusing all my effort on big game...3 years ago I decided to start carrying a slingshot in my pack and I have gotten 3 so far with the ole wrist rocket..I have a small bag of ammo with about 10 nice pebbles 10 marbles and a couple of steel ball bearings...if I had more time to hunt I would pick up birds and waterfowl again but such is life sometimes..

Arctic Lake
11-11-2021, 01:07 PM
Wrist Rocket. Love it man !
Arctic Lake
gave up shooting birds many years ago without really intending to but I do tend to focusing all my effort on big game...3 years ago I decided to start carrying a slingshot in my pack and I have gotten 3 so far with the ole wrist rocket..I have a small bag of ammo with about 10 nice pebbles 10 marbles and a couple of steel ball bearings...if I had more time to hunt I would pick up birds and waterfowl again but such is life sometimes..

wideopenthrottle
11-11-2021, 02:49 PM
single shot bolt action with a beat up barrel...I have one of those...it has a fancy trigger guard that likes to pinch your finger too..I was looking at it yesterday trying to figure out the maker...it is part of an old collection of obsolete guns I got handed down to me recently...

Huk
11-11-2021, 03:42 PM
I have all kinds of weapons. Firearms, golf clubs, baseball bat, axe, axe handle, vehicles and so on. Shit , when I was a kid a wooden spoon was a weapon.

RDJ
11-12-2021, 03:40 PM
If your strategy is to flush and shoot in flight, 20ga semi-auto with modified or tighter choke and #6 shot is the perfect choice. If you prefer to get them while roosted in a tree or still on the ground beside the road, a .22 or .17HMR to the head is very satisfying (assuming competent marksmanship). If you're not sure, use the 20ga with modified choke and #6 shot and pay attention to pellets in the meat.

ACB
11-13-2021, 12:24 PM
For grouse and Pheasants I use a Beretta A400 Explor 20ga. semi-auto, it's a great upland gun. For the wild Pheasants along the Reddeer R. I like to use 3in. mag.#4 shot with mod. choke, those big wild birds are tough. At times there's good sharptail hunting as well. At times I'll drag out my old 16 ga. sxs BSW Suhl. It knocks them down pretty good as well.

Redthies
11-16-2021, 10:27 PM
I really think 20 gauge is the perfect upland gun. I happen to lean towards an O/U, but grew up with a SxS and waterfowl with a semi. I hunt over flushing dogs, so a rimfire is a non-starter for me. If I were dogless (never gonna happen) I would scope my Henry Small Game Carbine, but since we are dealing with reality, it’s the shotgun for me.

Sako 75
11-19-2021, 09:13 PM
This past GOS i took my old Remington semi 1100 20 ga. gauge for first time since I last used it more than 45 years ago. It still shoot like a charm and very mild in recoil in shooting some grouse. I did had problem with injection of spended empty 3" old lead Remington shotgun shells. Not sure what problem was. The gun is well oiled.

ACB
11-20-2021, 05:38 PM
This past GOS i took my old Remington semi 1100 20 ga. gauge for first time since I last used it more than 45 years ago. It still shoot like a charm and very mild in recoil in shooting some grouse. I did had problem with injection of spended empty 3" old lead Remington shotgun shells. Not sure what problem was. The gun is well oiled.
Do those old 1100's have rubber O rings? If so they could be old and dried out and it could be loosing some of the gas to eject those 3" hulls. Just a thought.

Dutch
11-18-2022, 01:58 PM
In continuing with my 16-gauge passion my little GSP has been in the zone this year so took out my 1883 16g Dougall side lever out and brought home a nice rooster.Something special about shooting a firearm that's 140 years old and still works perfectly, I did leave a couple breeders out there, so it wasn't the first shot (same box to) https://i.imgur.com/GGoAH8G.jpg

Husky7mm
11-18-2022, 03:52 PM
I mostly used a stevens 410 in a bolt action that my Dad gave me. The bolt broke a few years back so I started to use a 22 lever action with open sites. That was fun but I liked the shot gun better so I bought a revolution armoury single shot that folds in half and also has a nice little case to fit in. I am not upland hunting just adding some meat to the mix while out big game hunting.

Most recently my Dad who is a wheeler dealer and likes antiques gave me an old side by side 16 gauge and 5 boxes of old shell in number 6. Some are even cardboard. Well wouldn't you know it shoots like a dream. 6 shots 5 ruffed grouse. Even got a double. Never had a shot gun that shot so true. Put the bead on the head and thats were all the pellets go. It was kinda fun to hunt with the ild relic. Always thought I would get a side by side for fun 1 day just thought it would be in another 410.

click to enlarge
https://i.postimg.cc/NKRw0H8n/B16-D1-C28-625-A-4562-8-FEF-C6-FAB8-A63599.jpg (https://postimg.cc/NKRw0H8n)

hawk-i
11-19-2022, 10:16 AM
Beretta 686 12 ga.

wideopenthrottle
11-19-2022, 10:23 AM
me...I like being able to have a choice of weapons rather than a weapon of choice...heheheh

guntech
11-21-2022, 07:17 PM
How about "shotgun" ?

Weapon is a terrible choice of a word...

weap·on
/ˈwepən/

noun: weapon; plural noun: weapons

a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.

high horse Hal
11-21-2022, 09:18 PM
Weapons for uplands
sounds like LML gangsta talk for a run to the interior BC

GrullaGuy
11-23-2022, 10:12 PM
No surprise, but I love my Grulla 12 gauge size by side. This year though, I have got more grouse with my Sauer Drilling in 16 gauge.