PDA

View Full Version : Danner Boots?

tikkat3
10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
anyone have a pair of these? I killed my wolverines last hunting trip so I bought a pair of pronghorns with 400g thinsulate. Took them out for a 5k hike yesterday and kicked the crap out of my heels, I wonder how long it takes to break em in? Do they last? The box says made in USA, but the boot says made in China:roll:...

I hunt pretty hard so I'm not surprised I destroyed my last pair of boots in only 4 hunting trips, but I hope these ones last longer...

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I've got a tonne of miles and 7 years on a pair of Danner Santiams, and they are holding together really well. They don't leak either (Nikwax often). They are US made - look for the little US flag on them.

Take the ones you blew apart back where you bought them.

Jetboater
10-31-2007, 02:40 PM
BCRAMS talked me into a new pair of these,
quite a bit less pricey than Meindls but tons stronger and better support than Danners, I went through a pair of Santiams in 2 hunts a few years ago, they were softer leather and the shale just ate them apart... http://www.bakershoe.com/lowa-boots-catalog/hunter-gtx-extreme-backpacking-boot-2218850455.html

bighornbob
10-31-2007, 02:55 PM
[quote=tikkat3;201194]The box says made in USA, quote]

The box is probably made in the US:biggrin:

BHB

puppychow
10-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I have used Danners for both work and hunting for the last 6-7 years. Mine are made in the United States and the only repairs are the heels. They fit like a glove and there was no breaking-in time. Best boot company that I have ever purchased boots from.

Mr. Dean
10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Mine fit great and didn't require any break in period. To early to tell how well they'll hold up.

huntermike
10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I have danner (frontier extreme 600g thinsulate) 2 seasons old made in china, and i love them, very comfy, no breakin,still holding together no leaks,I destroyed my browning boots in 1 season.

Mr. Dean
10-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Moved to Hunting Gear...

MtnBoy
10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
I've had 3 pairs of Danner Canadians. They last me only 1 season though. They've never leaked and are so comfy. I bucked up and got Miendls and now I'm hooked. I hiked TONS over 2 months hard and they are now my new fav's. I will keep the danners for deer hunting.

Jagermeister
10-31-2007, 07:33 PM
How about these? http://www.backcountry.com/store/LSP0043/La-Sportiva-Glacier-EVO-Mountaineering-Boot-Mens.html

pupper
10-31-2007, 08:06 PM
I hunt hard, and I have had danner frontiers for 4 years, still comfortable and repel water. No blisters on grueling alpine hunts. you can see some of the terrain I hunt in these photos:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1546339&l=912b8&id=848055360

BCLongshot
10-31-2007, 08:28 PM
I've had Danner Fronteir Extreme's for 2 yrs and I lov'em. No break in period for me or my son who bought a pair for this years trip.

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I've had Danner Fronteir Extreme's for 2 yrs and I lov'em. No break in period for me or my son who bought a pair for this years trip.

That's the ones I got as well.

TGF
11-01-2007, 02:26 AM
[quote=tikkat3;201194] The box says made in USA, but the boot says made in China:roll:...
quote]

Is there any difference???:shock:

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
I believe that I got the last pair of Extremes that were made in the US, last spring. I had a batch of a time finding a pair then. Danner was just moving production overseas and pickin's were slim. The one's I got came from their factory outlet store, they were the last pair on the wall.

I had a local dealer working w/ me on this. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have found my boots. The LAST thing I wanted was a pair of Chinese built boots... I haven't had much luck w/ stuff from there.

Gunner
11-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I wore the Danner Yukon's for years and they were great boots.As I aged tho' I found that I needed more ankle support,so I switched to the Meindl Canada Pros.What a difference!They aren't great in really cold weather tho',so I use the Schnee Sportsman for late season mulies and cat hunting.(I didn't know that Danners are now made in China,:shock:) Gunner

Mr. Dean
11-01-2007, 09:37 AM
(I didn't know that Danners are now made in China,) Gunner

Not all models. From what I could tell, they were trying to make their more expensive boots, more affordable.

The 'new' Frontier Extremes were supposed to come out w/ less leather (old were 100%), exchanging it for Cordura, in some places on the boot.

I've put mine through the mill pretty good this year on spring and fall hunts. They seem to be holding up very well... But I also take care of them. It doesn't take much to clean off the mud and muck and apply a dressing (I like mink oil) to ensure dry warm feet, supple leather and stitching.

Never place them on a direct heat source to dry them out. Pull the insoles instead and leave the boots @ the door.

I'll get back to ya in 2 more years and let you know what I think then...

hannibal
11-04-2007, 10:46 AM
My Danners are about 12 yrs old, made in USA and I love them. I have the Ft. Lewis model. I don't know if they even make that model anymore. It sucks that everything that was made good is all going to China.

Paulyman
11-04-2007, 08:41 PM
i just bought a pair of danners a weeek ago, i had the same problem they were really uncomfortable, after a day of hunting they were super comfy and really water proof

Clam
11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
What exactly do you mean by "...kicked the crap out of..."? Blisters?
Do those particular boots have the Airthotic inserts that Danner sells?
Perhaps try other types of insoles of varying thickness or composition.

ruttinbuck
11-08-2007, 07:39 PM
The Danner "elk hunter " boots that are made for and sold exclusively by Cabelas are USA made and great boots so far.Two different heights and thinsulate weights.RB