PDA

View Full Version : Using pigeons

HMR
03-04-2021, 11:46 AM
I’m trying to find information about the legalities on using training pigeons either caught or bought in the east Kootenay area and getting no where fast in finding that info.

I can get some birds from my breeder and I would love to do some work with my pup this spring. They will be shooter pigeons so I won’t be keeping them long.

Next step will be emailing the cos here and see if that gets me anywhere
Thanks.

huntingfamily
03-04-2021, 01:03 PM
I’m trying to find information about the legalities on using training pigeons either caught or bought in the east Kootenay area and getting no where fast in finding that info.

I can get some birds from my breeder and I would love to do some work with my pup this spring. They will be shooter pigeons so I won’t be keeping them long.

Next step will be emailing the cos here and see if that gets me anywhere
Thanks.

I believe it's all good if you do it in an area that is legal to shoot if that's all you're doing with them. They aren't a game bird so hunting regulations don't apply.
You have your PAL?

See Schedule C:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/wildlife/species/species_lists.htm

HMR
03-04-2021, 03:14 PM
Thank HF, that was very helpful. I do have my PAL

Foxton Gundogs
03-04-2021, 06:30 PM
The only catch is that it is ilegal to shoot hand flighted birds, planted birds are ok, like hunt family said just be sure shooting is allowed if you plan to work your dog on shot birds.

HMR
03-04-2021, 06:43 PM
The only catch is that it is ilegal to shoot hand flighted birds, planted birds are ok, like hunt family said just be sure shooting is allowed if you plan to work your dog on shot birds.

Thanks Foxton, just to verify hand flighted as in using a launcher?? I will not being using a launcher. Just basic stuff, mainly to turn her birdieness on and work the gun with the bird.

jlirot
03-04-2021, 10:42 PM
I've done it. My interpretation was that it is legal. I used launchers and shot the little f***ers. :-) Well, except for the ones I missed!

Foxton Gundogs
03-04-2021, 10:47 PM
Nope not launchers, they're ok. I'm actually talking about releasing the bird from your hand and shooting it while you steady the dog

Treed
03-04-2021, 10:49 PM
I've done it. My interpretation was that it is legal. I used launchers and shot the little f***ers. :-) Well, except for the ones I missed!

You really said that?

huntingfamily
03-05-2021, 09:40 AM
Nope not launchers, they're ok. I'm actually talking about releasing the bird from your hand and shooting it while you steady the dog

Do you have a link or similar to where it says that is illegal? I've never heard of that before...

HMR
03-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Thanks all,

I got into contact with the CO and she’s pretty foreign to the Bylaw of it so she’s digging deep and finding the answers that I need. I will let you know what she says.

HMR
03-11-2021, 09:09 AM
Hey guys so I got some info from the CO. I can use pigeons on crown land, but if the dog has any contact physically with the bird the bird has to be dead.

I can plant the bird alive so work points, but the dog can’t have any contact with it.

I believe I can work a live bird in my back yard, but the CO cautioned against that in case someone took a video of a live bird in my dogs mouth and send it to the SPCA they would have to investigate.

There are no pigeons here so I would have to get some from my Navhda chapter in Alberta, which needs a permit. Which is a whole new pain in the ass.

huntingfamily
03-11-2021, 11:09 AM
Where are you in BC that doesn't have pigeons around? They can be also be bought at hobby farm events, markets, kijiji, etc. Although the public events have been cut back due to covid.
I thought you just wanted kill birds originally.
I raise homers for personal use and use them in remote release traps for steadiness training quite often. Occasionally shoot them when finishing steady to wing, shot and fall...

HMR
03-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Fernie area. Honestly. No wild pigeons around here. I’m going to put some feelers out to see if some farmers have some at their place, but not holding my breath. Even the CO mentioned us having not pigeons around

mastercaster
03-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Fernie area. Honestly. No wild pigeons around here. I’m going to put some feelers out to see if some farmers have some at their place, but not holding my breath. Even the CO mentioned us having not pigeons around

Tell you what,,,,,I'll trade our lower mainland pigeons for your westslope and bull trout. Throw in a shot at a 6 point elk and I'll drive those flying city rats right to your door! :grin:

bandit
03-12-2021, 08:05 PM

Try calling a local pest controller as well. They will be able to tell you if any are about and may even help you find some dead / live ones.