PDA

View Full Version : Swarovsky X5 vs Zeiss Conquest V6

GROOTSKY
03-02-2021, 02:16 PM
Has anyone had a chance to compare these two scopes? The Swarovsky X5 seems to be a more robust version of their "Z" series, I do prefer the floating + reticle of the Swarovsky over the Zeiss reticle. As my eyes get older glass clarity/quality is becoming more of a priority, both scopes are known for their glass quality does the Swarovsky offer enough advantages to justify the extra $700.00?

I do alot of range shooting during the summer, out to 700 yards so I would be looking at the 5-25 or 5-30 power models

firebird
03-02-2021, 02:57 PM
As far as I know Swarovskis manufactured completely in house (Austria), tube, all internals, and glass. You also will deal directly with Swaro in Rhode island for warranty or service (cleaning,rebuild,reticle)

Zeiss is harder to nail down where they source from, V6 are manufactured in Germany and Schott glass but as for the other parts idk, (the V4s are manufactured in Japan) so potentially you could be getting some Asian parts. For warranty etc you will deal with Genetec in Toronto

Sharpish
03-03-2021, 09:43 AM
The X5 is more of a heavy, bulky tactical scope. The v6 is more of a trim lighter hunting scope.

Weatherby Fan
03-03-2021, 10:35 AM
I cant comment or compare the two as Ive never used the Z5 Swarovski, I have used the Z6 2.5-15x50

I have owned and used the Zeiss V6 3-18x50 and the 5-30x50, glass is second to none crystal clear, bright, low light performance is excellent, as good or better than most, both scopes had 25/28 MOA of adjustment up from a 100 zero mounted in Talley Rings,

The Zero Stop MOA turret is IMHO one of the very best made, tough as nails and very positive in clicks, I conducted a cpl box tests and always returned to zero without issue.

GROOTSKY
03-03-2021, 10:59 AM
Weatherby, do you remember which reticle you had on the 5-30? Thanks

Weatherby Fan
03-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Weatherby, do you remember which reticle you had on the 5-30? Thanks

Yes I had the Z-plex (duplex) on the 3-18x50 and the Z-MOA on the 5-30x50, I prefer the Zplex reticle as its a touch finer but for extended long Range its nice to have hashmarks if you don't have enough elevation adjustment in your turret

300rum700
03-03-2021, 02:14 PM
For that price range your best bet is the nx8 nightforce.

GROOTSKY
03-03-2021, 02:59 PM
The #1 thing that I'm looking for in a new scope is glass quality, from what I've heard and read the top end Zeiss and specifically the Swaro X5 glass is about as good as it gets.

300rum700
03-03-2021, 03:42 PM
If that's your only concern then the z8 should be top of the list. The x5 turret isn't very user friendly and the glass isn't as good.

firebird
03-03-2021, 03:55 PM

I believe Zeiss is using same/some components as Nightforce, hence why the V4 is made in Japan. Possibly same factory Nightforce parts are.

GROOTSKY
03-03-2021, 04:27 PM
I think that the V4 may be a combination of Japanes/German parts & assembly and the V6 is solely done in Germany

RayHill
03-03-2021, 09:56 PM
If that's your only concern then the z8 should be top of the list. The x5 turret isn't very user friendly and the glass isn't as good.

Im almost 100% Thant the glass quality is the same in both scopes Z8 and x5. The only difference in the lenses is there is more in the Z8

Redthies
03-03-2021, 11:15 PM
Zeiss has been making top quality glass since the dawn of time. I would take Zeiss over Swarovski any day of the week. I used to make my living with high end lenses in the photography world, and Zeiss is top notch stuff. Not saying the Swaro is not great, just that since you asked, I’m in the Z camp.

twoSevenO
03-04-2021, 07:27 AM

Says who?

Nightforce scopes are as durable as you can get ... but I havent seen too many claims over their optical superiority.

My reasons why NF would never be on my hunting rifle:
- they are just too heavy.
- none of their reticles are hunting-friendly. (Almost) all are way too complicated sniper reticles and too fine for your average hunting scenario.

300rum700
03-04-2021, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=twoSevenO;2237664]Says who?

Nightforce scopes are as durable as you can get ... but I havent seen too many claims over their optical superiority.

My reasons why NF would never be on my hunting rifle:
- they are just too heavy.
- none of their reticles are hunting-friendly. (Almost) all are way too complicated sniper reticles and too fine for your average hunting scenario.[/QUOTE

Ok bud.

To the op, if you've got any specific questions about any of these scope shoot me a pm and I'll give you my honest feedback and yes I've used them all.

300rum700
03-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Im almost 100% Thant the glass quality is the same in both scopes Z8 and x5. The only difference in the lenses is there is more in the Z8

The z8 has the best quality glass of any swaro scope. The x5 is fairly old and coating have been upgraded since then.

huntingfamily
03-04-2021, 12:41 PM
The Swaro Z5i in 5-25x with ballistic turret would be a very nice choice, and a good one to compare with the Zeiss V6.
https://www.swarovskioptik.com/ca/en/hunting/products/rifle-scopes/z5-i/tech-spec/z5i-5-25x52-p-bt

As mentioned, if you're looking for optical quality and reticle choices I wouldn't recommend a Nightforce.

Baconator
03-04-2021, 01:09 PM
I have not owned either of these scopes but I had a bad experience with Swarovsky and will never purchase another of their products.

wallz
03-04-2021, 03:20 PM
I know this isn't part of the debate/discussion, but I was looking specifically at the Z8 scope for my new rifle, but held off because of the lower than optimal max elevation that they are capable of. The weight was a huge plus, but the elevation limitation push me onto others.

I think the Z5 is the same 58 moa.

firebird
03-04-2021, 04:13 PM
I also have a Z5

Swarovskis always my first choice

RayHill
03-10-2021, 12:21 AM
I know this isn't part of the debate/discussion, but I was looking specifically at the Z8 scope for my new rifle, but held off because of the lower than optimal max elevation that they are capable of. The weight was a huge plus, but the elevation limitation push me onto others.

I think the Z5 is the same 58 moa.

Just get a 20 moa rail problem solved.

tko
03-15-2021, 10:33 AM
I have the v4 and NF and I would stay away from lower end zeiss , v6 is very nice but v4 is cheaply made and paralax sucks!
My NF is better glass and better quality then the v4. I'm sure the v6 is a lot better tho.

madcalfe
03-19-2021, 06:57 AM
leupold mark 5HD would be another good option.
if your going to be doing alot of dialing i dont think id go with a X5 or even a second focal plane scope.
one thing to remember elevation and wind hold overs with 2nd focal plane scope has to be on max power to be accurate.
Im currently using a Kahles K3-18i same glass as Swarovsky owned by Swarovsky but completely different!
its a first focal plane scope so elevation and wind adjustments in the reticle are accurate at any magnification.
take a look on https://precisionrifleblog.com/ this is the site PRS shooters do reviews on all long range gear and so on. a lot of good info if your wanting to get into top tier optics.
Night force is good. The NX8 is ok i wasn't a fan when I was looking at them id go mark5hd over one.
I think if I was to get a night force is would be a ATACR in 4-16x42 or 4x16x50

Onesock
03-19-2021, 07:10 AM
Madcalf. A sfp plane scope must be on max magnification to use hash marks but not to dial up. You can dial using any magnification using center cross hair.

madcalfe
03-19-2021, 07:22 AM
Madcalf. A sfp plane scope must be on max magnification to use hash marks but not to dial up. You can dial using any magnification using center cross hair.
sorry that's what i meant. lol got my words mixed up there. reticle isn't accurate expect on max magnification.

GROOTSKY
03-22-2021, 09:01 AM
Madcalf- why not an X5, their turret system is supposed to be top notch sounds like they went and copied NF design to some extent. I actually like using the SFP scopes for guns meant primarily for hunting, you always have a visible reticle & if using hashmarks I'm guessing the scope is on max anyway.

madcalfe
03-22-2021, 12:17 PM
there was a good stream on wild sheep society talking about the perfect mountain rifle with the one owner of gunwerks. and it came up about why gunwerks doesn't offer any SFP on any of their builds and he was spot on. I know I've taken shots at targets trying to use the BDC in a reticle on a SFP scope and didn't realize till after i wasn't on the max mag making the BDC reticle incorrect so can happen super easy in a hunting situation. and also another huge one is wind drift in a SFP. its only accurate at mag mag.