PDA

View Full Version : kettle valley migration

jorick
10-31-2007, 08:54 AM
has anyone heard if the migration has happened yet . ive heard different reports on this subject , some yes , some no's mostly from hunters who have come back skunked there has'nt been alot of snow yet but everyone is saying that the deer have moved through the area. has anyone heard otherwise

fozzy
10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Still pretty early I think. The last two weeks of the season and into bow season is when things usually heat up out there. They might be starting way up the valley?

GoatGuy
10-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Muleys that make the long journey move early and start stacking up in late October. Others will go back and forth.

WT's don't really start stacking up until mid-late Nov depending on what mother nature has in store.

BCrams
10-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Then, as with most areas in BC -- there's the stragglers -- the big boys.

Often, hunting season is over at this point.

GoatGuy
10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Then, as with most areas in BC -- there's the stragglers -- the big boys.

Particularly when muley's close Oct 31 :biggrin:

boxhitch
10-31-2007, 07:15 PM
I jumped, about to suggest archery was open, then checked the regs.....
so why doesn;t 8-12 thru 15 have an late archery for mulies ?? Whities are open til Dec 10.
Something rational , I presume :roll:

WoodOx
10-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Is there any actual reason some older more mature deer tend to stay higher, longer etc than others? Youd think theyd go where the doe be at... I would

GoatGuy
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
so why doesn;t 8-12 thru 15 have an late archery for mulies ?? Whities are open til Dec 10.

It's always been like that :lol:

Wait until one shot sees this he'll come unglued.

Fourpoint
10-31-2007, 09:45 PM
The muley's have gone through, but the whitetails haven't yet. I live here in Christian Valley. Just waiting for them. :grin:

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2007, 10:03 PM

Why doesn't 8-12 to 8-15 have mulies open until at least Nov 10 like the rest of region 8, and a late archery season like the rest of region 8? Because someone might shoot a deer, and that would ruin the bio's day. :(

jorick
10-31-2007, 11:00 PM
what made the mulies go through already when there hasn't been that much snow yet?

one-shot-wonder
11-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhitch http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=201287#post201287)

It's always been like that :lol:

Wait until one shot sees this he'll come unglued.

The timing of this thread is impecable.....

Unglued is right. I have been hunting the Kettle valley pretty hard in the month of October (as hard as a weekend warrior can) Just awaiting this week and more specifically yesterday, when the big boys start to show up.

So I took the morning off hit it with a couple buddy's. I had a chance on a nice mule buck however passed on a "touchy" shot (texas heart) the deer never presented a shot....nothing frustrates me more than not being able to head out there this weekend or until the 10 of November just as these boys enter the rut.

As far as I am concerned there is two days worth hunting in those M.U.'s for four point muleys Sept. 10 and Oct. 31.....because the Bio's won't give us the rut to hunt muleys I guess I will have to run over to the westside of Kelowna or up to Kamloops area to hunt muley deer in the rut and all my time and efforts getting to know my kettle area intimately is wasted until next season......

Ignorant biologists think this part of world is lacking mule deer.... he can blow it out his a$$! I know of half a dozen bucks alone taken out of the small area I hunt. All he has to do is get in the bush and see that the deer population is fine and dandy.

Sieg-MM
11-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I agree OSW. By the way your rant is a classic :lol:

Quote:

So I took the morning off hit it with a couple buddy's. I had a chance on a nice mule buck however passed on a "touchy" shot.

Too bad you couldn't find the back of his neck. That jungle setting never helps :roll: Will do some damage next week!!

boxhitch
11-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Unglued is right.
....nothing frustrates me more than not being able to head out there this weekend or until the 10 of November just as these boys enter the rut.

.....because Brain harrass won't give us the rut to hunt muleys I guess I will have to run over to the westside of Kelowna or up to Kamloops area to hunt muley deer in the rut .Even 4-14 and 4-32 are open til Nov 10.
Didn't BCWF bring this up as a proposed change ? Would like to know the response. F-D ?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I gave up on Region 8 years ago.

OSW-You should move over here to Region 10......or is it 11:roll:. Can't remember.........don't matter. Lots of room and no other hunters. Got the place to myself and I am the regional manager. I get no Harryassment over here!!:grin:

Logic abounds!

SSS

one-shot-wonder
11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Even 4-14 and 4-32 are open til Nov 10.
Didn't BCWF bring this up as a proposed change ? Would like to know the response. F-D ?

I questioned BH on this and his answer was as follows:

"Have you seen how stupid mule bucks are in Novrember.... they are too susceptible during the rut,the breeders get shot."

Brilliant! Apparently in all other M.U.'s the mule bucks are a lot more intellegent.:roll:

The Bio's base the mule deer numbers on hunter success rate. In the years since the large die off ('96-97) the hunter success rate is roughly 40% of what it was previous to the those years.

No $hit Sherlock....:mad:

We have all heard of the hunter numbers declining, so there are less guys out there persuing these deer for one.

And more significantly they changed the season from ending in November, IIRC on the 10 or 15th one of the two.....considerably all of the rut.

I am not a self proclaimed bioogist but it doesn't take rocket science to figure this one out.....

I think the BCWF and/or the local clubs need to get together and do a count of some sort to establish an inventory for the Ministry.

Obviously this is low on the priority list as the don't do any aerial or winter counts.:sad:

Oh well I will go somewhere's else. And guys on here wonder why we come and play in their areas this time of year.....a little balance in certain regions can go a long way!

one-shot-wonder
11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I gave up on Region 8 years ago.

OSW-You should move over here to Region 10......or is it 11:roll:. Can't remember.........don't matter. Lots of room and no other hunters. Got the place to myself and I am the regional manager. I get no Harryassment over here!!:grin:

Logic abounds!

SSS

Is that an invite???

I thought you have to be a member of that ellusive club or something....can I join the "click".

Stone Sheep Steve
11-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Just need deep pockets!;)

I haven't checked the regs but does that late youth season include the MU's in question?? My guess is no!:roll:

I like Brian but you guys are bang-on on this issue.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Your guess is right.

PS - thanks Will for the new sig line! :biggrin:

boxhitch
11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
OSW-You should move over here to Region 10......or is it 11:roll:. Can't remember.........don't matter. Lots of room and no other hunters. Got the place to myself and I am the regional manager.
SSS
Also from SSS

Your day definitely beat mine. 10 1/2 hours in a treestand and only squirrels to look at:roll:.

Alone for a reason ? Or maybe move the stand from the school yard, if you want company on weekends.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Also from SSS

Alone for a reason ? Or maybe move the stand from the school yard, if you want company on weekends.

I thought you would know by now that I prefer to earn my critters. More rewarding that way.
10 1/2 hours in a treestand is more painful than a 10 1/2 hour hike in sheep country:?.

The "great migration" has yet to begin in Reg 11:wink:.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I thought you would know by now that I prefer to earn my critters. More rewarding that way.
10 1/2 hours in a treestand is more painful than a 10 1/2 hour hike in sheep country:?.

The "great migration" has yet to begin in Reg 11:wink:.

SSS

Try 10 1/2 hours in a heated leather seat with XM Satellite radio playing.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Try 10 1/2 hours in a heated leather seat with XM Satellite radio playing.

And no doubt the Playboy station was playing:eek: or was it Hustler?:grin:

SSS

Alpine85
11-02-2007, 02:55 PM
And no doubt the Playboy station was playing:eek: or was it Huslter?:grin:

SSS

I didn't know, Hustler had a station...:-)

boxhitch
11-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Playboy on the radio, Hustler on the DVD, 1-900 on the phone........
Good that the hound rides in the back.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I didn't know, Hustler had a station...:-)
Maybe not?

I don't have sat radio but my buddy had "something" playing when we were getting firewood this summer and it wasn't John Tesh:shock:.

SSS