PDA

View Full Version : First Traditional Hunting Bow

Brew
02-28-2021, 10:21 AM
When I was a kid I shot olympic archery then moved on to shooting compound hunting bows.

I purchased my 7 year old daughter a recurve the other day and I was amazed at how well she shot and her form right from the start. Then I tried it and because it is so small I just instinctively shot it and was amazed that I could hit the target out to thirty yards. Not with much accuracy but hits. One the less.

Now I want one. I’m thinking I would like a aluminum riser style bow but I’m wondering what draw weight I should start with as I would also like to hunt with it once I get good enough?

My daughter woke up with sore muscle this morning. I said that’s because you shot your bow for six straight hours yesterday and maybe she should take a day off.
Her words were “No Dad, it’s too much fun”

ghost
02-28-2021, 10:32 AM
I have a 45 pound bow and with my draw length it is about 47 pounds. I find that it easy to draw and hold. Accuracy is getting better and going to try it this year on small game

Brew
02-28-2021, 10:42 AM
What is your draw length? Mine with a release is 29.5 so I would probably be close to 50lb with a 45# I’m thinking.

ghost
02-28-2021, 11:09 AM
My draw length is the same. I just was being conservative in my estimate of the weight it could be more. I was told each inch adds 1.5 to 2 pounds

LeverActionJunkie
02-28-2021, 05:00 PM
I bought a Samick Sage with 30lb limbs to start off with and it’s nice and light to practice form etc plus you can get additional heavier limbs as you develop etc. I’m gonna order up some 40b limbs and a new set of arrows to try and head after game soon.

LeverActionJunkie
02-28-2021, 05:37 PM
Just wondering what recurve you bought your daughter? I’ve got two boys that love shooting bows.

Brew
02-28-2021, 05:50 PM
Just wondering what recurve you bought your daughter? I’ve got two boys that love shooting bows.

it’s the cheapest bear brand bow cabelas offers. It was less than $100. I just want something for her to try out that wouldn’t break the bank if she didn’t like it.
it’s called a Bear Flash. She’s only seven and it says it’s fir 11+ but she has no problems with it.
once she’s a little bigger I have my old Olympic bow she can use. I’m pretty sure she’s hooked

mike31154
02-28-2021, 06:51 PM
There are plenty of take down recurves on the market these days that are very good value for money. Samick Sage already mentioned, I purchased a Fleetwood Edge some years ago. It's a Samick clone. Different limb weights readily available. I started with 45# limbs & now have 50# on there. My draw length is shorter than specified, so drawing less than the marked poundage. I believe 40# within the archer's draw length is minimum required for most hunting in BC, 50# for Bison. I got daughter & son in law into it a few years ago. Gifted them each a Fleetwood Edge. Daughter is a lefty. Got her 25# limbs, son in law 40#. Since we all own the same brand, we can swap limbs if the need arises.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m75YtXlQ0BGhnQKjzwnOTmgQmW-zyBiyJBjiqdXtZ0eMqpUJr8yB_9ps2woS7s1PWjRkHx1QvAqej LxxniBrFWJ---ajJlfTIuCWGm9qhWM42Fq53MjkO_AHfYPsyl8ifzgqguN_rIqP V-RBNBxKnNuNwC0zjYYxsqjK4mhNSYAiYArJh5vXBXFbi2k0Cm2K A?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m28wYOuWTaRS_iYhTChe6kyIk1hDliQ8oj3zqXfo4QiKJDYG K3BRfxMO7iB3XqC3vevTrAsPq4kV3cS3LL3uEv2Iq3w76Gu7eW M2CiXRCO4y4CtCT7X9RU6ueqMD4pGIRhyp6RATTd8ptxGSBm7Q zVyJsyuc9z1vTcVhZusYcPJnP1tj4SFFZ5DjsYWi7xu5v?widt h=811&height=1024&cropmode=none

OutsyderBC
02-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Buy an ILF platform if you plan on keeping using it, options galore for risers and limbs. If you're over 29" draw get a bow as long as you think you can get away with and don't get a Sage or same bows marketed under other names, they stack like a bitch around 28".

For fun and possible hunting in the future, I'd go for a 19" riser and long ILF limbs with the info you gave and no more than 40.

If you've done olympic style recurve in the past you have the best possible foundation to single string archery, you'll do OK

HarryToolips
02-28-2021, 10:26 PM
I shoot a #55 sage Samick...fun to shoot, have no idea what the draw length is....takes regular practice to stay on top of it...

Brew
03-03-2021, 03:46 PM
I just placed a order today on a Hoyt Satori 21' riser and medium limbs 45lb. should be here in a month. looking forward to shooting with my daughter. possibly taking a bear if I can get enough arrows down range before May when they really start moving around.

OutsyderBC
03-03-2021, 08:47 PM
I just placed a order today on a Hoyt Satori 21' riser and medium limbs 45lb. should be here in a month. looking forward to shooting with my daughter. possibly taking a bear if I can get enough arrows down range before May when they really start moving around.

Buy some extra, cheap (long) limbs at 30-35 while you're at it, you'll be glad you did..... you'll be pulling closer to 50 if you're 29"+ and get into bad habits.

I keep my hunting bow(s) 40 and up to be legal and all, but no more than 45 but my primary 3D and target recurves are now under 40 (I draw 30"). Modern limbs have changed the game.

Brew
03-03-2021, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think will definitely do that. Originally I was going to go with 40# but the guy at the shop talked me into going 45. I have seen lots of cheaper limbs for sale so I’ll be on the lookout now

OutsyderBC
03-04-2021, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think will definitely do that. Originally I was going to go with 40# but the guy at the shop talked me into going 45. I have seen lots of cheaper limbs for sale so I’ll be on the lookout now

Unfortunately lots of shops don't know or even don't care about single string archery, Traditional archers are cheap and the shops don't make enough money out of them!

Why I started a little home business (ended it after dealing with "traditional" archers!) :-P