PDA

View Full Version : How do you protect your scope?

cameron0518
02-27-2021, 12:25 PM
Recently picked up a new Swarovski scope and curious as to how people look after their scopes while hunting or after a hunt. No matter how expensive or inexpensive your optics are, it is important to look after them. I have tried the Butler Creek covers that pop open when clicked as well as just using an old shirt to keep the dust off if I am riding around but thinking there must be something that works for most situations. Mainly looking for ways to keep the lenses clean and clear and not scratch them up. After the hunt and sometimes during, I use a lens pen but I must admit that I cringe doing that when I know there is dust on the lenses even if that is one of their purposes. Any feedback or ideas are always appreciated.

whitlers
02-27-2021, 12:31 PM
Neoprene scope cover is what I have been using. Dust will always be an issue especially while riding. I personally just use a lens cloth and disposable wet lens towels when it's bad. Glass is pretty durable these days. I would think you need to try pretty hard to make a noticeable scratch.

Johnny G1
02-27-2021, 01:51 PM
If you are worried about dust canned air will clean any lens, use it for my camera gear, Dust Off is the name.

bottles
02-27-2021, 02:20 PM
I'm same as whitlers. Lens cloth and cleaners are good.
They have see-through bikini style covers for your rifle too. I keep mine on in case I need to make a quick shot, but take them off when stalking.

Redthies
02-27-2021, 02:28 PM
Neoprene on my bigger Nikons, but the M-223 that I have on my lever action has flip up caps. I was a pro sports photographer for a lot of years shooting rock and ice climbing, kayaking skiing etc. After all that and never putting a scratch on any of my lenses (some of which were $10,000 +) I don’t worry about dustetc on rifle scopes. I’m more concerned about slipping and banging one on a rock and knocking it out of center.

Alpine Hunter
02-27-2021, 05:29 PM
I use a rubber “bikini” cover which pretty well seals the lenses up tight, then a neoprene scope cover over that. It may seem a bit over kill but judging by how rough the neoprene cover looks after one season, I prefer the cover take the beating rather than the scope. If I’m carrying my rifle in my hand than I take the neoprene cover off.

cameron0518
02-27-2021, 08:10 PM
Has anyone tried the Swarovski lens covers? Pros/cons?

xlcc
02-27-2021, 08:36 PM
I make my scope covers from old inner tubes and stretch it over the the lenses from end to end.If I loose it ,no big deal.Just make another.
Most of my hunting is on foot and my rifle is in my hand so no covers.I also carry tissue paper in my pocket to wipe rain or snow off during the day.
When I get to my truck the cover goes on.

Greenthumbed
02-28-2021, 07:08 AM
Unless it’s really snowing or raining I don’t bother with covers. If it is snowing and raining I have a neoprene cover, but I don’t expect it’ll be too long before that’s lost.
I use a lens pen to keep them clean.

scttlp86
02-28-2021, 08:26 AM
I use the leupold alumina flip covers on my leuy. Vortex flip covers on my ziess. Just leave them on all the time, keeps dirt, snow rain, etc. out. In the truck the whole rifle is usually in a case so I don't worry about external damage.

walker1985
02-28-2021, 08:33 AM
I use a neoprene cover on my Nikon scope. My friend just picked up a Swarovski Z5 and he got the front flip up cap but Swarovski doesn't make any rear caps so he also bought a neoprene cover to go over the setup.

nornscreek
02-28-2021, 09:10 AM
use neopreme covers and take 2 small zip ties one on each side of the turrets .cover stays on the scope all the time

Ferenc
02-28-2021, 09:24 AM
For cleaning .. a can of air duster in camp or your truck works great ... Emzone air duster ...and N-A air blower works great and fits in the pack nicely ... blows the crap off nicely.

twoSevenO
02-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Neoprene cover when hiking in. Keeps it clean and scratch free.

When hunting, nothing. I dont see a need for flip cover things or any of that. I've hunted blacktails in pouring rain plenty and have never wished I had any covers.

The glass coatings nowdays keep the rain sliding off nicely

Ron.C
02-28-2021, 09:45 AM
Neoprene cover when hiking in. Keeps it clean and scratch free.

When hunting, nothing. I dont see a need for flip cover things or any of that. I've hunted blacktails in pouring rain plenty and have never wished I had any covers.

x2............

MRP
02-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Been useing the same hard rubber capped bikini covers for 40 years. A flick of the thumb and there off. Made in Oregon I think, l would like to get some more but cant find them.

wallz
02-28-2021, 03:11 PM
On my Leo's I pony up and get the alumina covers. Once you try them there is no going back. I imagine swaro's covers are just as good.
If they don't make a cover for your model, the next best are the Tenebraex covers. While not as good as say the alumina covers, they are hands down better than the vortex or butler covers. They still have a decent way of attaching to the scope.

Astepanuk
02-28-2021, 03:48 PM
Hey Guys

Weather depending I will run my Leupold Neoprene Scope cover, if its going to be lots of hiking through brush and rain I always have my SOLO Cover over my rifle I find that combination never allows anything to get into my scope. Not sure if our Guns would have made the last trip with out the rifle covers with the amount of rain we received for 7 days. When it was time to take my caribou the cover came off in a couple seconds and rifle was at the ready position.

cameron0518
02-28-2021, 06:08 PM
I use a neoprene cover on my Nikon scope. My friend just picked up a Swarovski Z5 and he got the front flip up cap but Swarovski doesn't make any rear caps so he also bought a neoprene cover to go over the setup.

That explains why I can't find a rear cap anywhere. Lol. That is weird IMO.

WhiteTailAB
02-28-2021, 06:25 PM
Usually butler creek flip caps but one november it was just pissing rain and yup all the humidity got behind the cover so it was really useless, would have been better off to not have a cover that day so I'm undecided at this point.

Rob Chipman
02-28-2021, 07:32 PM
My wife sewed up some neoprene covers for both our rifles. Little lace holds it on the rifle when you pull it off so it doesn't get lost, and the neoprene lets you slide it on and off easily. It handled a lot of travel through southwest BC blowdown this year and preformed great. I like it easy more than the flip up caps that I was using before. Protects it from rain, snow and mud when I take a header.

REMINGTON JIM
02-28-2021, 07:46 PM
Has anyone tried the Swarovski lens covers? Pros/cons?

I had One on the Objective lens of my Last Z3 - there just like the Leupold ones ! I like them - expensive BUT so it the scope !;) RJ

I do cover my scopes with the Leupold neoprene covers except when hunting - I nearly always have a Butler cover on my Objective lens !

BCHunterTV
02-28-2021, 07:57 PM
i own a Air Armour Tech cover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFBcx_luT74

Philblock
03-01-2021, 07:09 AM
I use balloons over both lenses they are cheap and damn close to 100 percent water and air tight. They come off quick and if you lose them replace with two new ones.

wideopenthrottle
03-01-2021, 10:11 AM
I am almost embarrassed to admit I have often used an old sock...heheheh

cameron0518
03-01-2021, 01:08 PM
Usually butler creek flip caps but one november it was just pissing rain and yup all the humidity got behind the cover so it was really useless, would have been better off to not have a cover that day so I'm undecided at this point.

I am almost embarrassed to admit I have often used an old sock...heheheh

Not the first person I have heard that from. Lol. Some good advice from everyone and will check out some of the products mentioned. Thanks

Planer99
03-01-2021, 02:40 PM
I had a neoprene one and liked it....but I lost it. Now I just use and piece of bike tube with a knot in it, it fits tight, offers some bump protection, don't cry if I lose it and it can be used as fire starter in a pinch!

bcsteve
03-01-2021, 03:30 PM
Flip up lens caps. Butler Creeks and Vortex Defenders.

BRvalley
03-01-2021, 03:37 PM
I personally despise butler creek clovers, they are fragile and break and I've never had one last longer than a season or two, I don't understand why they are so popular lol

I like the leupold alumina flip covers, protection when you want it, and flip open and go hunt when you don't need the protection...they used to make lense filters that would stack with the covers too, but discontinued and hard to find now....photographers protect their lenses with filters, never made sense to me that hunters don't do the same...the leupold products were expensive, so I understand why they weren't good sellers maybe, but still don't see any other similar products on the market....it is possible to find a basic UV filter that fits a rifle scope, but gotta take it to the store and try a bunch to find the right threading/size

I don't protect the scope body, but I don't really sell used scopes either, I'm more of an accumulator lol...if it gets scratched hunting then that's just extra character and I know the story behind it

264mag
04-12-2021, 07:38 PM
Does anyone have the name of the neoprene scope covers that a member was selling on here a few months ago? Contact information for that member would be great as well.

MZac
04-12-2021, 07:59 PM
Does anyone have the name of the neoprene scope covers that a member was selling on here a few months ago? Contact information for that member would be great as well.

I *think* this is the member:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/kamloops/unique-tethered-neoprene-scope-cover-tuff-coat/1542786776

MichelD
04-12-2021, 10:56 PM
I make "Bikini" covers out of old bicycle inner tubes.

I can afford to lose lots of them!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=M2oqzGra&id=7F4D39E559832C29D4EA317F411793CEDC5B2E6D&thid=OIP.M2oqzGraqkjrljwI8bzs5QHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR33 6a2acc6adaaa48eb963c08f1bcece5%3frik%3dbS5b3M6TF0F %252fMQ%26riu%3dhttp%253a%252f%252fimage.sportsman sguide.com%252fadimgs%252fl%252f4%252f48739_ts.jpg %26ehk%3d4gqbjuzMnofR8G%252fzENvHtJR8ZycxTCFcrTL%2 52bqbajwyg%253d%26risl%3d%26pid%3dImgRaw&exph=1154&expw=1154&q=bikini+scope+covers&simid=607988926198794536&ck=5C2BE4F51A67473EF1D8D8A3DABB4125&selectedIndex=0&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

303carbine
04-12-2021, 10:58 PM
Don't drop it or lend it out.......................