PDA

View Full Version : mulie migration

mikek blacktail
10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I have a farm along the fraser in region 5 that Ive had permisson to hunt with my archery equipment for the last few years it's loaded with big bucks and i'm the only one with access.I finally got permisson to rifle hunt the area and I was wondering if the bucks I hunt in early september would migrate later in the fall or would the same bucks from september still be around (do farm mulies generally migrate or stay put) I'll be hunting in the early rut.

boxhitch
10-30-2007, 07:52 PM
I have a farm along the fraser in region 5 that Ive had permisson to hunt with my archery equipment for the last few years it's loaded with big bucks and i'm the only one with access.
You don't need help. :roll:

quadrakid
10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
i think you should probably take along a fellow hbc,er to study the question!

frenchbar
10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
i know the ranches here in the Lillooet area along the fraser the bucks will stay put all yr ,they dont stray too far .

Rusty
10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Not sure but I will be there at the end of the week and can let you know~!

srupp
10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
the answer is BOTH..you will always have the resident deer they will always be there 365 days a year..then when you talk about migratory deer movement that happens in Nov/Dec when the snow flies in the mountains and passes...and then deer head in a hurry to the banks of the Fraser River...so you will have BOTH resident AND migratory deer herds..I have seen 2000 deer in a relativly small area along the Fraserv here in the Cariboo...region 5 pilots and biologists have counted up top 3500 deer in VERY small areas and there ARE areas that have far exeeded their carrying capacities..for winter ranges...

Steven

bruin
10-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I have found that once the alfalfa and other crops go dormant for the winter, (big reduction in nutrition) and the rut starts the bucks seem to wander a bit more but they should be around. However I have never hunted farm bucks in that region. I think because they are generally pretty low in elevation to begin with they will most likely stay put.

mark
10-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Many here may think im BSing, but ive hunted the fraser by boat for years now. Ive seen more deer, and more big bucks in OCT. than in Nov. Im not really sure why, but the deer seem to move slightly away from the river for the winter. youll find more mulies in the 2000-3000 ft elev. areas. Ive done tons of hiking and Ive never even found a shed close to the river. Remember mulies like the cover of big fir trees for winter range!

joelp37
10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
i got permission to hunt a ranch in region 5 on the fraser aswell. just south of kersley. i find it is better hunting later in the season. all the big bucks seem to come down from the mountain and into the fields during the rut.

dana
10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Mark,
You haven't found sheds by the river cause I've beat ya to them. :)

WoodOx
10-30-2007, 08:59 PM
ever find any cranker sheds on the banks steve?

BCrams
10-30-2007, 09:00 PM
i got permission to hunt a ranch in region 5 on the fraser aswell. just south of kersley. i find it is better hunting later in the season. all the big bucks seem to come down from the mountain and into the fields during the rut.

Thats because most of the 'does' are there and not up on the mountain with them!

Mark - you missed a big one too !!

dana
10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Some of the bigger sheds I've found in that area have been just up on the sage brush flats above the river. Biggest set I've pulled out of there are a 190 NT set. Found 2 years off that buck.

BlacktailStalker
10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Mike you are a lucky bugger.
Can you please keep your good fortunes like that to yourself :)

srupp
10-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I have a spot "on the Fraser " FOR ONCE i wont spill the beans...lol well that one spot I have found SEVERAL crankers..and on 2 days shed hunting we found well in excess of 45 antlers(one side=1)n and several we found both sides.....mark is right in that they were VERY close but not ON the Fraser river but the clay "breaks"

Steven

mikek blacktail
10-30-2007, 11:07 PM
thanks for the info, I know the spots great took me only 22 years to find it

Hunterguy
10-30-2007, 11:17 PM
In the past I have hunted 3-30 and 5-1 to the tenth of Oct. Other than local deer after the 18th of Oct. the deer after that have moved through and headed to the Fraser. The bucks have buddied up and then start to follow the migration of does. The bucks who would be locals along the river, moon, frost and the mood, start to move inland to catch up with their hormones, does who are starting to arrive. As the does get closer to the river the bucks, the crankers will tend to show mid Nov. Good Luck!!!

gearjunkierob
10-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Many here may think im BSing, but ive hunted the fraser by boat for years now. Ive seen more deer, and more big bucks in OCT. than in Nov. Im not really sure why, but the deer seem to move slightly away from the river for the winter. youll find more mulies in the 2000-3000 ft elev. areas. Ive done tons of hiking and Ive never even found a shed close to the river. Remember mulies like the cover of big fir trees for winter range!

I wonder if that has something to do with the cold air of winter sinking to the valley bottoms along with the shading effect the steep (in places) banks of the river can have in those locations? Those south facing slopes can heat up pretty quick at mid elevations on sunny days. The other factor would be snow loading....if the wind and sun combine to remove snow from good feeding areas on those warmer south facing slopes, then they would make for easier eating. I know next to nothing about that area - just throwing the idea out there!

tufferthandug
10-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Them farms on the Fraser (South of Quesnel) can be tricky. They usually seem to host a few "Crankers" through August then dry up for a couple months. It seems about one out of ten farms (if that) then get a "Big" buck in November. Yet they all get at least a couple scrub 4x4's.

WoodOx
10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Them farms on the Fraser (South of Quesnel) can be tricky. They usually seem to host a few "Crankers" through August then dry up for a couple months. It seems about one out of ten farms (if that) then get a "Big" buck in November. Yet they all get at least a couple scrub 4x4's.

Whats 'big' and whats 'scrub'? :grin:

Gilmore
10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
:-)
Whats 'big' and whats 'scrub'? :grin:

To me a "scrub" is 150 and down "big" is 175 and up. Those 25" in the middle are what I call headscratchers, because I can never decide if I should shoot them or not. The ones I shoot turn out to be 158" and the ones that walk I swear are 172":lol:

Will
10-31-2007, 05:27 PM
it's loaded with big bucks and i'm the only one with access.
Go hunt the crap out of it for the next 2-3 weeks.........:wink:

You don't need any help from here:lol::lol::lol:

hunter1947
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
I find that the locale mules stay put most of the year. The big mules come down to a lower elevation ,but not all the way down ,they only move down to an elevation that is comfortable for them to get around in when snows to deep up higher. I also found that they like the sunny south facing slops to bed and feed in winter.