PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Untouchable
10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
My buddy is down in Kentucky or somewhere in the states playing baseball, and he somehow inherited a bow from one of his buddies. My question is, will it be possible for him to bring the bow back on the plane if it doesn't have any broadheads or anything with it? It would be in the luggage compartment, etc? could it happen or what? Thanks.:?:

lapadat
10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I doubt that it would be a problem.....we are afterall permitted to fly with firearms.

I would check the airlines website for confirmation.

One Shot
10-30-2007, 08:35 PM
He can fly with it arrows, broadheads and all if he checks it in with check baggage. It may be touch and go for a carry on due to what it is. BTW he does not have to declare it like firearms and ammo. He may however have to declare it at customs as a gift and as a weapon. I have brought bows back and forth in the past with no problem as with firearms. Good catch.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
holy heck ...

As long as he puts it in a hard case it can be checked ... for the last time .. a Bow is not a weapon ... its sporting equipment ....and to be perfectly honest if your friend was smart and wanted to save about 60 bucks ... because Bow cases are oddly shaped and slightly oversized ... tell him to to go to a golf store and buy a Hard golf club travel case and put his bow in it ...it will fit trust me.... Most of the major American carriers have adopted size restrictions ...and a Typical bow case is outside those numbers however the golf bag case is not.

I found this out when some of us went to Vegas last Feb for the world archery festival

oldtimer
10-31-2007, 05:02 PM
As a part time security screening officer I can speak about what is allowed in Canada. Flying out of Canadian airports to Canadian Airports the bow and all that goes with it is allowed as checked baggage including the broadheads. Try and take broadheads in your carry on and it will be taken from you or you will have the option to put it in your checked baggage .
Mikey the size of the bow case with some airlines is fine, with other airlines it is not. As always check first. Mike

pupper
10-31-2007, 05:12 PM
I haven gone accross the border with my bow as my in laws have a cabin states side and I like to target practise when I am there.

I got no flak whatsoever

blaker_99
10-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Untouchable-I checked with the border control a couple years back regarding the same thing. They said it is not a problem what so ever.

As far as shipping it back or checking it ona plane....I'd suggest getting a solid hard bow case as the airlines could care less most of the time about what is in a specific package. Good luck with the bow to you and your riends.

Cheers

trapperdan2061
10-31-2007, 06:37 PM
bring it back complete in a hard case and locked check like any bagage no problem been to Florida and Texas with mine

The Hermit
10-31-2007, 08:18 PM
holy heck ...

As long as he puts it in a hard case it can be checked ... for the last time .. a Bow is not a weapon ... its sporting equipment ....and to be perfectly honest if your friend was smart and wanted to save about 60 bucks ... because Bow cases are oddly shaped and slightly oversized ... tell him to to go to a golf store and buy a Hard golf club travel case and put his bow in it ...it will fit trust me.... Most of the major American carriers have adopted size restrictions ...and a Typical bow case is outside those numbers however the golf bag case is not.

I found this out when some of us went to Vegas last Feb for the world archery festival

COOL I just bought a nice hard case for my clubs at a close out sale, so I'm feeling like I got an even better deal! LOL