PDA

View Full Version : 4-38 and 4-39

tikkat3
10-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I've only been able to go out hunting once this year and am too busy with work to get out until the 17th of november for 3 or 4 days. I'm looking in the regs and 4-38 and 4-39 are open for any buck, whitetail and mule. I'm only looking to fill the freezer, don't need a big rack for that. So, is this area any good? Do you get to the best spots from revelstoke, or do you need a boat?

Thanks for any tips.

GoatGuy
10-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Hard hiking and hard hunting.

It's any buck because of Caribou not because there's deer behind every bush.

There are some big 'uns in that part of the world though.

BCrams
10-30-2007, 01:33 PM
I recall hunting Revelstoke at this time last year - came darned close to dropping the hammer on a big one.

Tough hunting but they are some monsters to be had down there for those who persist.

tikkat3
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Hard hiking and hard hunting.

It's any buck because of Caribou not because there's deer behind every bush.

There are some big 'uns in that part of the world though.

Is it really thick? I looked at 4-39 on google earth and theres a nice long ridge there you could get almost to the top of by logging rd. I don't road hunt anyway, just want to get the camper near where I can get out and hike.

What do you mean because of Caribou?? :confused:

WoodOx
10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Although I could be talking about an entirely different spot than both GG and BCR, from where ive hunted there its only thick in the valley bottoms. ITs steep as shit in most areas though, and that makes for difficult hiking until your on top.

Both those dudes know what theyre talkin about so id recommend heeding their advice :wink:

GoatGuy
10-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Is it really thick? I looked at 4-39 on google earth and theres a nice long ridge there you could get almost to the top of by logging rd. I don't road hunt anyway, just want to get the camper near where I can get out and hike.

The whole concept of controlling prey species to keep predators down.

Road access depends on the weather.

Come mid Nov/Dec most of the roads will be snowed in if the snow's been flying (it snows and rains a lot there). There's plenty of spots to hike from right off the highway only problem is it's steep - there are some nice patches but overall it's tough country.

If you're used to hiking give it a shot, there's some whoppers in that part of the world. I love hunting it but most of the people I go with don't - it's hard work and you don't see the number of deer you see in other parts of the Province.

WT's aren't terribly abundant, you're better heading south, east or west! :lol:

Good luck take pictures!

BCrams
10-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Lots of long ridges in the area. Just very thick timber and almost next to impossible to hunt.

I'd hunt the area without any hesitation.

You will not see many deer at all but when you do see them, you'd better be ready to shoot as there's a good chance it will be a big one.

Snow will create problems on your hunt if you're not prepared for it (i.e., chains are a must). At the same time, you want the snow. Spend lots of time glassing and being patient for bucks on the move.

boxhitch
10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
The whole concept of controlling prey species to keep predators down.
!
The gov't way of saying "if we reduce deer numbers, the coyotes and wolves and bears will leave the Caribou alone." :roll:

Spitzer
11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Bring a 4x4 with chains, your best wet/cold weather gear (wool) and a set of Viking cork boots w/ 2 sets of bamas.;-)

sawmill
11-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Weather has been sucking there last while and snow is called for again this weekend.Bad kind of snow this time of year,wet and slippery,bring chains and a St.Christopher medal.