PDA

View Full Version : Once in a Lifetime - 2020 Roosevelt Elk

jesse
02-19-2021, 06:49 PM
I apologize for the delay in writing about my experience from my 2020 Vancouver Island LEH Roosevelt Elk hunt, as you may know, work and life seem to always get in the way.

Before I start, I want to give a big shout out to the following individuals, who in some way or another helped me plan, prepare, and assist in my once in a lifetime hunt:

@Floden

@NMO

@Rob Chipman

@Darksith

**and my friends on Vancouver Island*

As mentioned in a previous post, I am relatively new to the hunting world, as such I was humbled by all of the support I received from various hunters, many of who I had never even met before, but yet were willing to take the time out of their busy schedules to give me their sage advice.

So to back up a little bit, I was drawn for a 2020 LEH Roosevelt Elk draw on Vancouver Island. The odds were 115:1, so I knew (and was told by everyone I talked to) that this was going to be one of those “once in a lifetime” type hunts. I knew I had to put my all into this, everything from preparing, scouting, and “putting boots on the ground”. I figured that if I didn’t put my best foot forward, regardless if I got anything or not, it would haunt me for the rest of my life. As famously said by Hunter S. Thompson – “anything worth doing, is worth doing right”.

As such, during the summer I spent time at the range practicing my “long range” shots at 200 yards +, scouring google maps for every possible drainage and mountain side that may hold elk, reading B.C. elk biology reports, and finally making trips out to Vancouver Island (I might add that I had just started a new full-time job and had only two weeks of vacation to use). The first trip, I got totally skunked and didn’t see a single elk (until on the car ride home on the side of the highway). However, on second trip out in September during the rut, I met up with some friends, and were able to put glass on some bulls.

Fast forward to October, opening day is on Saturday. @Floden and I take the ferry over on Thursday to meet up with one of my friends to do some last minute scouting before the season starts. However, on the drive-in I immediately realized how wet this hunt was going to be. I had heard about Vancouver Island rain in the fall, however, when they say it’s like standing in a shower with the tap turned on full blast, they weren’t kidding! Luckily I had brought my Helly Hansen jacket and pants, as it definitely was going to be used. When we arrived at camp we were welcomed with pounding rain, and immediately grabbed shovels and started digging trenches to try and divert some of the water that was filling our “swimming pool”. As I dug soaking wet, I couldn’t help but smile knowing that there was definitely going to be some of “embrace the suck” involved in this hunt.

The next day (Friday), we spent the day scouting. Surprisingly it didn’t rain this day, however, it was mostly spent driving up FSRs where I had seen elk in the summer, glassing for any possible movement. At the end of the day we spotted a 7x3 bull with a small group of cows, which was reassuring to me. It was good to know that they were still bedding with cows during the “post-rut” and thus hadn’t disappeared into the thick forests as bachelors.

Opening day I awoke with excitement, it was like Christmas morning as a child. All the planning, preparation and scouting had come down to this. Regardless if I got anything, I reminded myself that I was so blessed and fortunate to just have the opportunity to chase these beautiful animals. I had to keep reminding myself this, as for the next 3 days it poured non-stop (by the end our swimming pool started to look more Olympic sized). During these days we would hunt dawn to dusk, but didn’t see a single elk. However, I kept positive and just enjoyed the company I was with, having laughs and looking forward to drinking home-made wine at the end of the day to warm up.

Tuesday morning the rain finally stopped. In my gut I knew that this was going to be the day. At the crack of dawn we posted up at a spot where we had seen lots of fresh sign, including massive trees and brushes all freshly thrashed up. At about 1000 yards away we started glassing a clear cut and sure enough spotted what appeared to be a rag-horn bull and a cow. After watching the stragglers for a while, we were ready to move to another spot when I spotted something out of the ordinary. I turned to my buddy and said “I think I see at least 15-20 cows on the side of this clear cut”, immediately everyone jumped back onto the glass and confirmed what I was seeing. We kept scanning the herd trying to spot something with antlers, and sure enough I spotted a nice looking 6x6 and then my buddy called out “I see a giant looking 7x7”. Two big bulls in a herd?! I was thinking that the satellite 6x6 was a shooter, let alone this 7x7! However, the impracticability of getting within shooting distance of these bulls quickly sank in. We were currently glassing over valley, with the herd on the direct opposite side. Thus, the only way to get within shooting distance was to sneak along the edges of the surrounding clear-cut and pray that we didn’t get winded. Sure enough, that’s exactly what happened, we tried to close the distance but a quick whiff by a cow sent the herd barreling over the side of bank, never to be seen again. They were in an optimal location for survival, easy to detect predators with a 360 field of view, not to mention easy escape routes.

I was a little bummed that I couldn’t put my scope on one of the bulls, but at the same time was just excited that I wouldn’t being going home not seeing any animals. They’re out there I kept reminding myself, it’s just a matter of time. After a quick lunch, we returned to one of the spots we had visited previously with no luck, however felt that it was really “elky”.

Similar to the previous location, there was a valley with a stream running through. However, there were no clear cuts on either side, just a swamp at the bottom of this valley. Our game plan was that we would slowly move along and hug the mountain side of the FSR, hopefully then getting into a position with the wind blowing towards us where we could peer down into the valley. As we quietly inched our way along this FSR, I made a few quick trips to the side of the road to peer down into the valley, “guy’s I see a bunch of bedded cows down at the bottom of this valley”, I whispered to my friends. I wanted to stay and glass for a surrounding bull, but knew that I should go back and hug the side of the road in order to not get busted. After what seemed like an eternity of creeping we finally reached the end of the FSR, I peered over the edge and saw what I at first though were thick tree branches by a tree. However, these tree branches slowly turned and I could see the slight outline of what appeared to be an elk. “Hey, I think I see a big bull over here”, I whispered to my friends.

Before they could peer over the edge to see, I noticed that the cow elk started to stand-up…the wind had changed and was directly blowing down into the valley. Everything started to move in warp speed for me, by this time all the cow elk had stood up and started to dart in a single-file line back into the forest. The bull elk finally stands up and I notice how big he looks. “Yeah that’s a shooter I said to my buddy”. Unlike the cow elk, he had no rush and followed behind them in a nonchalant and lordly way. As they are piling into the forest, I quickly scramble to chamber a round and dive into prone position. As the bull is just about to exit the edge of the forest line we let out a cow chirp, he turns around. I let out a few deep breaths and squeeze the trigger, the 180 grain 30-06 round stops him in his tracks and within seconds he’s on the ground.

I stop to catch my breath, “did that actually just happen?” I now scream to my buddies. We put a rangefinder on him and the distance is 250 yards away (luckily I had zeroed my rifle in at 200 yards). I cut my tag and stop to take a few pictures from a far… now the real fun begins we all said. With a steep decline into the valley, not to mention it being littered with stumps and logs, winching him out becomes an unrealistic endeavor. The sun is slowly starting to set, so we decide that the safest route is to go down and gut him and pack him out early next morning.

When we arrive early the next morning, we see that it had snowed 4-6 cm the night before. “Great, this 45 degree climb uphill with 100 pound packs of meat just got even more fun”, I’m sure was what both my friends were thinking about me at this point. I was definitely getting my fair dose of “embrace the suck”. By the 4th trip (with night time rolling in and a headlamp on) I was crawling on my hands and knees and praying to get me off this god-forsaken mountain. As I sat on a log halfway up the mountain, taking a short huckleberry snack break, I hear a gunshot in the distance, “could that be another set of hunters?” I wonder. When I reach the top my buddy says that he had just scared off a sow and a cub black bear, who had been getting dangerously close to my truck (now loaded with meat). Luckily, that was one of the last trips, as going back down into that valley with a headlamp and a bunch of hungry bears did not appeal to me. I was ready to get the F*ck off that mountain.

Now, looking back on this adventure, as I write this story with a freezer filled with meat and memories which will survive long past, I would do it again in a heart-beat. My “once in a lifetime hunt”, was not just about getting an elk, but the experience and friends made a-long the way. All I know is the next time I sit around a fire, I can chime in on the ancient tradition of hunting itself, story-telling.

Now just to figure out the next adventure….

jesse
02-19-2021, 06:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6o4ZZqI.jpg

jesse
02-19-2021, 06:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tiw7VE6.jpg

todbartell
02-19-2021, 06:51 PM
hammer! congrats and thanks for posting your story

jesse
02-19-2021, 06:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/T3uieht.jpg

jesse
02-19-2021, 06:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5G9gpby.jpg

jesse
02-19-2021, 06:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AtotDOh.jpg

Kos
02-19-2021, 07:01 PM
What a beauty!!!! Great story thanks for sharing really enjoyed it.

goatdancer
02-19-2021, 07:05 PM
That's a beauty bull. Congratulations.

Ron.C
02-19-2021, 07:07 PM
Absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Great job and congrats

mike31154
02-19-2021, 07:07 PM
Nice one. Me & 2 buds got it done on the Island last fall as well. Mid November, the rut was over. The more experienced friend has been putting in for Elk on the Island for over 30 years & never got a draw. For the last 4 years or so, at his request, I've been putting in & won last season! He called me a 'bum' when I told him the news, but all 3 of us now have meat in the freezer.

Arctic Lake
02-19-2021, 07:31 PM
That is a beautiful animal ! Thanks for sharing the story with us . Your pictures are good too !
Arctic Lake

sako79
02-19-2021, 07:45 PM
Beautiful awesome thank you for sharing

Norwestalta
02-19-2021, 07:49 PM
Congratulations that is a dandy.

whitlers
02-19-2021, 07:56 PM
Wow what a stud. Good job! Sounds like a ton of fun.

jimzuk
02-19-2021, 08:25 PM
That’s a great bull. Thanks for sharing your story

sames14
02-19-2021, 08:43 PM
Great story and pictures. I think what i enjoyed the most about your write up was the fact you used a 30-06 with 180 gr bullet. I own a bunch of stuff and i am really thinking of getting rid of everything and just stick to my first gun i ever bought, a 30-06 Parker Hale that still shoots dimes to this day. Again great write up and congrats on an outstanding hunt.

ghost
02-19-2021, 09:28 PM
Great bull way to go!

white moose
02-19-2021, 09:48 PM
Great Bull. Glad ya filled your tag, Try again this year along with many others/

RugDoctor
02-19-2021, 09:56 PM
This is awesome. Great job and way to put it all in!

180grainer
02-19-2021, 10:24 PM
What a nice Bull. Now the hard part of finding a house with a high ceiling. Thanks for posting

glennw89
02-19-2021, 10:30 PM
Great story - thanks for taking the time to write it up.

adriaticum
02-19-2021, 10:46 PM
awesome, congrats!

Rieber
02-20-2021, 06:34 AM
Great hunting story. Thank you.

Piperdown
02-20-2021, 06:57 AM
Frickin awesome story and hunt. Well I must say that it is so nice to actually read a great hunting adventure on HBC, been awhile . Hope there are more to come and a little less covid, Trump and Turdhole stories. I have been putting in for Island elk for 20 years and am still waiting for a draw, again congrats on a fine bull.

twoSevenO
02-20-2021, 07:25 AM
Nice mass, nice pictures and beauty country.
Well done, sir! That is a fantastic elk!

Congrats!!!

floden
02-20-2021, 07:51 AM
@jesse it’s good to see that story , and all these pics. I’m glad I was there- it was a great trip! It had all the excitement you’ d want in a trip. Looking back I think it gave us a story an hour! The rain was incredible though.... When we finally saw the elk, You kept your cool - that shot happened a lot faster than you think.....and you did a great job of pre-scouting. What a great trip! I still smile when I open the freezer and see a wall of meat! I hope you post pics of the finished mount. Folks- these pictures just don’t show how maaaaaasive that elk is. Congrats @jesse!!

BeerMan
02-20-2021, 07:52 AM
Really enjoyed the story and pics! Great read with a cup of coffee this morning.
I'm a 30-06 guy too.

browningboy
02-20-2021, 08:19 AM
Congrats, when you talk about the rain on a Rosie hunt I understand, I was lucky enough to get a Pitt Lake draw this year and get a bull as well! The rain was ridiculous, no bs, 100mm per day!
nice bull

250 sav
02-20-2021, 08:34 AM
Nice bull good write up

3than
02-20-2021, 09:17 AM
Great job! Congrats!

bang flop
02-20-2021, 09:22 AM
Nice bull. Good work.

paraschost
02-20-2021, 09:30 AM
A beauty for sure

Timbow
02-20-2021, 09:44 AM
Congratulations on getting a very nice bull and thanks for sharing.

The Hermit
02-20-2021, 09:55 AM
Perfect! Everything a Vancouver Island hunt should be! Congrats on managing the suck and a nice bull!

Blacktail1
02-20-2021, 10:13 AM
Awesome !!! Thanks for posting

huntcoop
02-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Congrats, you made good on a dream.

KodiakHntr
02-20-2021, 10:26 AM
Great bull and great write up!

One thing I read though, you cut your tag while you were still 250 yards away? Definitely a best practice to make sure your animal is dead before you start clipping notches... And the best way to know for sure that you have him is to see that he isn't blinking or breathing at rifle muzzle distance. Lots of "dead" bulls have gotten up after being clipped high in the spine, never to be seen again.

Wood butcher
02-20-2021, 10:45 AM
WTG
Nice bull. Congrats

IronNoggin
02-20-2021, 12:55 PM
A Very Fine Bull!
A moist excellent story.
And very good pictures too!
Everything coming together.

Thank you for sharing. Made my morning! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog - 22 years into the Rosie Draw for nada thus far...

Husky7mm
02-20-2021, 01:03 PM
Good looking bull, beautiful country!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

kennyj
02-20-2021, 04:19 PM
Beautiful bull and great story.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

kenny

ursus
02-20-2021, 08:11 PM
So awesome! Once in a lifetime Bull for sure! Congrats!

Pringle00
02-21-2021, 09:16 AM
Thanks for sharing, memories last a life time.

MZac
02-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Thank you for sharing Jesse. Great write up. The picture with your hand around the antler is great, always amazed at how big they are.

I'm a guy that just started waterfowling this season and hope to have bigger game in my crosshairs in 2021/22. I've quite literally had dreams about this type of hunt and you've given me something to continue working towards.

Knute
02-21-2021, 10:15 AM
Congrats to you and your crew for the hard work put into making the "once in a lifetime" draw successful.

Outstanding bull, any plans for display?

"survive the suck"...well put.

jesse
02-21-2021, 01:41 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the support and comments! I am getting a shoulder mount done, so will post pics when it's finished! In the mean time, I stay humble trying to fly fish for winter steelhead, and enjoy an elk steak when I can!

I hope to keep you all posted on the next adventure that comes my way!

https://i.imgur.com/sahu17Q.jpg

Maglic
02-21-2021, 03:36 PM
WOW,
Elk story just keeps getting better and better.

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing.

Gateholio
02-21-2021, 04:00 PM
Great story and bull! Thanks for sharing!

Arctic Lake
02-21-2021, 04:28 PM
We’re all coming for dinner LOL !
Arctic Lake

BCHunterFSJ
02-22-2021, 10:50 AM
Beauty bull for sure!

backcountry98
02-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Great Bull, congrats!

Doesn't get much better than that.

Bubbacanuck
02-22-2021, 11:41 AM
Awesome story and great bull. I appreciate you taking the time to post the story & photos. This post is what HBC is meant for but has become more of a rarity these days.

Hunt of a lifetime for sure!! Congrats and enjoy the great table fare.

MTNSasquatch
03-31-2021, 10:32 PM
Dude, what an awesome story and beauty of a bull. Congrats! I’m hoping to try for my first black bear hunt in the island in May.

Job well done sir!

jesse
04-18-2022, 03:15 PM
A little late to post, but I figured better late than never!

Here is my finished 2020 Roosevelt elk done by Jenna McRae at McRae Taxidermy. If you are ever in search of a great taxidermist, I highly recommend her!

https://i.imgur.com/k5qRDCF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vl0SYIx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xhij5lp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LlQLiV7.jpg

huntcoop
04-18-2022, 03:36 PM
Awesome!!!

Bubbacanuck
04-18-2022, 06:39 PM
Jenna does amazing work!

srupp
04-18-2022, 09:01 PM
hmmm awesome read..awesome bull awesome STEAK..awesome taxidemy..
you proved...practice hard to hunt easy..ier...you did your homework..it payed off.
THANK YOU.
Srupp

twoSevenO
04-18-2022, 09:14 PM
fantastic looking mount.
Congrats again on a beauty elk!

TheObserver
04-18-2022, 09:37 PM
Congrats man, nice Bull!!

That mount turned out very good!

Treed
04-18-2022, 10:11 PM
Awesome story - what a great hunt. Thanks so much for sharing the suck and the win!!!

HarryToolips
04-19-2022, 07:18 AM
That's a very nice bull, and great pics, scenery, and a well written story....

wideopenthrottle
04-19-2022, 08:32 AM
amazing character on that bull....between the scars on the face and eye area and the broken tines he must have had one heck of a temperament!!!

Bugle M In
04-19-2022, 11:33 AM
Wow, that’s a beautiful bull taken in some picturesque terrain!!!!
Congrats.
Rosies are very impressive creatures and we should consider ourselves fortunate to have them here, to have a chance at hunting them as well, albeit, very limited.
Great share!

Roboduck
04-19-2022, 12:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the great sorry and pictures.
Never hunted Elk myself but something to look into now.

Rob Chipman
04-19-2022, 04:09 PM
Pretty outstanding Jesse!

Skeena Shooter
04-19-2022, 05:20 PM
Very nice!

tigrr
04-19-2022, 07:24 PM
Adventures, don't ya just love them. Life would be so boring without them.

horseman2
04-20-2022, 06:03 AM
Great story and brings back fond memories, 1986 and 1987.
My first application resulted in a 6 x 6, 12 years old and 534 lbs. to the locker.
Applied the next year and got a 5 x 5, 401 lbs. to the locker.
The odds then were 25 - 30 to one. The odds of connecting two years in a row were about 1000 to one.
Keep applying, it can happen.