PDA

View Full Version : Backpack food alternatives

Vini
02-19-2021, 10:17 AM
Hey Everyone,

Looking for alternatives to Mountain House for back-country (freeze dried/dehydrated) food.

I know of Heather's Choice and have ordered sampler pack.

Ultimately, I'm looking for healthier food that is made in Canada.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

DMD
02-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Just buy a food dehydrator and make your own. Can make real food in your own kitchen as healthy or unhealthy as you like, dehydrate it and voila backpack food. Bring yourself a little home cooking up on the mountain.

KodiakHntr
02-19-2021, 11:06 AM
Peak Refuel. Not Canadian made, one of if not the best on the market.

luger
02-19-2021, 11:07 AM
Peak refuel!!

sako79
02-19-2021, 11:12 AM
Peak refuel

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-19-2021, 11:36 AM
I run a mix of peak refuel and home-made dehydrated meals. It's actually quite easy to make high quality meals yourself, added benefit of just being able to pull out a pack when you are too lazy to cook or need something quick without feeling guilty of digging into your freeze-died stash. If you really want store bought: I +1 the peak refuel and "heather's choice"

brn2ryd
02-19-2021, 01:04 PM
I like Heather’s choice. It’s pretty nutritious but I struggle to eat them day after day. Their macaroons are good too but are pretty pricey for a bite size snack.

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-20-2021, 10:18 AM
Not sure if you are into the whole DIY stuff. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to dehydrated vs freeze dried. If you are in the LML, I am happy to give you some of my home made stuff to try so you can compare yourself

MDR
02-20-2021, 10:56 AM
I noticed "Happy Yak" recently. Made in Canada freeze dried food. Price was alright so I bought a couple meals. Haven't tried them yet though. I still have a stock of Mountain House to burn through.

Ridgehunter604
02-20-2021, 01:51 PM
Another vote for diy dehydrated food.
My stomach never does well on the freeze dried stuff and there’s nothing like a home cooked meal at the end of a tough day.
Between the dehydrator and some shelf stable foods you can get some pretty tasty, high calorie meals without adding much weight.

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-20-2021, 02:28 PM
I have to say though: Pretty much most of my food is home made dehydrated, but I DO love the freeze dried desserts! Nothing like a bit of sweet decadence for the evening, mood booster for bad weather periods, or pick me up for grumpy hunting companions

cuervosail
02-20-2021, 02:38 PM
Dump that MH out on the ground for the squirrels. Get some Peak Refuel - you'll never go back!

grantk
02-20-2021, 03:44 PM
Another vote for the dehydrator. Download Andrew Skurka's recipe book, and/or the one a backpackingchef.com and you're set. I vacuum pack meals, store them in the freezer, then just add your water directly into the foodsaver bags. Costs next to nothing to make and tastes good. And then you can make all the jerky your heart desires.

Mulehahn
02-20-2021, 04:15 PM
I am not a mountain hunter so weight is not the utmost importance to me, just a consideration. If I am just going on a week long hike I take a couple of the Tiberino pastas. Lay flat, have dehydrated sauces already mixed, and taste really good. Each one weighs about 7 to 9 ounces so not the lightest but will easily feed 2 people. Just add water.

Noreasny
02-20-2021, 05:50 PM
Hey Everyone,

Looking for alternatives to Mountain House for back-country (freeze dried/dehydrated) food.

I know of Heather's Choice and have ordered sampler pack.

Ultimately, I'm looking for healthier food that is made in Canada.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

west coast kitchen

Ride Red
02-20-2021, 07:25 PM
Peak refuel, best I’ve eaten.

Vini
02-23-2021, 12:12 PM
Thanks everyone,

Personally, I would probably go down the DIY route, but this question was for a friend, not a hunter, that is going on an extended hike.

Much appreciated

Flyingfisher
02-23-2021, 06:27 PM
I'm planning to buy a Harvest Right home freeze dryer this year and go the DIY route. It's an expensive purchase, but it can be used to preserve many types of food items. Just imagine whipping up roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, that is exactly the same as you make at home (or pretty darn close anyway), while on a long mountain hunt. Definitely a morale booster.

Ridgehunter604
02-23-2021, 06:45 PM
That’s pretty cool I hadn’t seen the home freeze dryers yet. But ya that’s a little costly. Probably going to just stay with the old dehydrator for now.