PDA

View Full Version : Quartz Creek near Golden

.330 Dakota
02-15-2021, 03:35 PM
Wondering if anyone has hunted the Quartz Creek area near Golden?
I see there is good access via snowmobile trails up into the Alpine,,any thoughts, advice, etc appreciated,,,if the comments are positive, I wil scout it this summer,,,primary critters Im after is Elk, then maybe Moose

tdot
02-15-2021, 04:24 PM
There is a sled cabin up there too. Didn't find an easy route in on skis (early ski season) it was much easier with more snow and a sled a few weeks later. But there are roads probably 60% of the way up, unknown if they are gated.

.330 Dakota
02-15-2021, 05:47 PM
There is a sled cabin up there too. Didn't find an easy route in on skis (early ski season) it was much easier with more snow and a sled a few weeks later. But there are roads probably 60% of the way up, unknown if they are gated.

Awesome thanks,,,they shouldnt be gated,, the snowmobile club doesnt own the land

asherriff
02-15-2021, 08:43 PM
Beautiful area, but unlikely to find the critters you are after in that neck of the hills.

.330 Dakota
02-16-2021, 10:38 AM
Beautiful area, but unlikely to find the critters you are after in that neck of the hills.

WELL NUTS,,,I thought maybe that area would have quite a few Elk,,too high elevation? too much traffic?

asherriff
02-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Once you get up to the cabin it becomes a treeline type ecosystem with mostly heather meadows. There are not big lush slide paths up there. Worth the hike in the summer though!

.330 Dakota
02-16-2021, 05:19 PM
Once you get up to the cabin it becomes a treeline type ecosystem with mostly heather meadows. There are not big lush slide paths up there. Worth the hike in the summer though!

Gotchya,,,sheep maybe,,goats

bensonvalley
02-16-2021, 08:39 PM
The gate at the 2km (ish) is only locked during spring to keep sledders from rutting up the FSR during breakup. There’s no elk or sheep up there. Goats definitely.

.330 Dakota
02-16-2021, 08:45 PM
The gate at the 2km (ish) is only locked during spring to keep sledders from rutting up the FSR during breakup. There’s no elk or sheep up there. Goats definitely.

Thank You,,saved me a scouting trip,,prob good for spring bear

butthead
02-19-2021, 06:04 AM
that snowmobile trail is under a lot a snow
gona be a lot of wind fall on those trails unless it gets a lot of atv use

.330 Dakota
02-19-2021, 09:23 AM
that snowmobile trail is under a lot a snow
gona be a lot of wind fall on those trails unless it gets a lot of atv use

Good to know, thank you

Deer_Slayer
02-20-2021, 05:21 PM
Lived up there 13 years. Don't hunt in there unless you want to meet up with very bad attitude Grizzlies. Some moose can be found near lower areas but you will meet grizz in here for sure. Go east a bit more and hunt Donald area and down below Kicking Horse Mtn ski hill. Lower bench near Forde Stn Rd. Quartz means Grizzly...lol

.330 Dakota
02-20-2021, 08:59 PM
Lived up there 13 years. Don't hunt in there unless you want to meet up with very bad attitude Grizzlies. Some moose can be found near lower areas but you will meet grizz in here for sure. Go east a bit more and hunt Donald area and down below Kicking Horse Mtn ski hill. Lower bench near Forde Stn Rd. Quartz means Grizzly...lol

Thanks,,I had that experience in Tumbler, dont want a repeat..lol