PDA

View Full Version : Something To Make You Go-hummmmm !!!

Eagle1
10-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Since the Canadian dollar is good right now, and some of the bow companys have some of their 2008 line up out,some might want to buy a new hunting/target bow.
STOP, think about it, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR BOWS BOUGHT IN THE USA AND BROUGHT INTO CANADA BY THE CONSUMER.
What if something breaks, limbs,riser,cams, you take it to you local bow shop to get fixed,NO WARRANTY, you have to pay for the parts, then pay to put them on.
Send it back down to get fixed, cost of shipping { both ways } time lost during hunting season,possably lost in transit.

What about a little commitment to your local retailers who are still around because you buy from them, most will give you prompt and curtiose service,most will try and fix you up right away to get you back in the field, cause you support your local dealer and they will be there when you need them.
I know some don't care about service as long as they save a buck or two. :roll:
Just my 2 cents worth.

happygilmore
10-30-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm all about deals!!- That being said I'll stay local if I can get within the ballpark of the price down south-(within 60$) and if a store has good service and might be willing to throw in a few broad heads at cost, than that goes along way and I know this guy wants my buisness.
BUT when I walk into a store and ask to see an item that has a huge markup over what I can buy it elsewhere for and he does not have time for me, or is not willing to deal, than fudge ya!
Store owners need to realize we live in an ever growing global society and the things that will keep these stores in buisness is supporing your comunity, making customers happy-give me a deal once and I'll remember you for a long time and spend my money there. and last but not least stay compedative- if your asking 60$ more than everywhere else on a pair of binos you better get creative and through in some lens cleaning kits or something.

pupper
10-30-2007, 01:58 PM
IM all for supporting local business but how on earth can I as a consumer buy items cheaper online than a store can buy wholesale? It does not even make sense.

I can buy G5 broadheads online for 29 u.s. (free shipping)and the best price I have seen locally is 45 cdn. That is riduculous. I could open my own store and buy online products at retail prices to sell locally and make a profit.

we live in a global economy. I like supporting small business but i also have to support myself and when items are 50% elsewhere what am I supposed to do?

That being said I do support my local hunting stores for the reason of service and availability.

Barracuda
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
local dealers cry that they gotta eat, pay for kids college, bills etc... but alot of them seem to ignore that so does the purchaser .I know that some of you folks will say keep the dollar in the canadian economy but isnt the product from outside of canada to begin with, so that money leaves anyways ,and arent you more likley to spend your saveings here?

not screwing your own countrymen goes both ways.

As for warrenties how many times have we heard about warrenties not being honoured even if the product was purchased here?

franklin3
10-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I have a question??
I am currently attending a university in Kentucky and was given a bow so that I can still have the range to go and kill some time at...I love it..havent bow hunted before but I think I am going to get into it...
Now my question is can I bring my bow back on a plane?? I have a case and everything will be safe...will the airline let me??

Thanks

Bowzone_Mikey
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a question??
I am currently attending a university in Kentucky and was given a bow so that I can still have the range to go and kill some time at...I love it..havent bow hunted before but I think I am going to get into it...
Now my question is can I bring my bow back on a plane?? I have a case and everything will be safe...will the airline let me??

Thanks
yes you can bring it back

Eagle1
10-30-2007, 07:17 PM
IM all for supporting local business but how on earth can I as a consumer buy items cheaper online than a store can buy wholesale? It does not even make sense.

I can buy G5 broadheads online for 29 u.s. (free shipping)and the best price I have seen locally is 45 cdn. That is riduculous. I could open my own store and buy online products at retail prices to sell locally and make a profit.

we live in a global economy. I like supporting small business but i also have to support myself and when items are 50% elsewhere what am I supposed to do?

That being said I do support my local hunting stores for the reason of service and availability.

Alot of online stores have no overhead,workers to pay,store front rental, only one person to run a computer in a small place in the corner of the house.

Chain stores buy items in the hundreds and thousands for all their stores so they get a better deal than just one store, so until the manufacturer gives the same price for both, we are SOL

I'd like to see you run your own store { if it was so easy, why aren't you } not a basement dealer cause most wholesalers won't sell to you, make enough profit to pay utilites,rent,staff,insurance,WCB,accountant and pay yourself a wage to live on.
Some people just don't understand the real world,

Eagle1
10-30-2007, 07:26 PM
local dealers cry that they gotta eat, pay for kids college, bills etc... but alot of them seem to ignore that so does the purchaser .I know that some of you folks will say keep the dollar in the canadian economy but isnt the product from outside of canada to begin with, so that money leaves anyways ,and arent you more likley to spend your saveings here?

not screwing your own countrymen goes both ways.

As for warrenties how many times have we heard about warrenties not being honoured even if the product was purchased here?

How many Canadian archery manufactures do you know?
The Canadian wholesalers buy from the USA manufactures { even they get a lot of stuff made overseas } and they have to put on their mark up, then we got to buy from them and put on our mark up.
I don't recall a warranty not being honered to the ORIGINAL PURCHASER of an archery item that has a warranty.

10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Chain stores buy items in the hundreds and thousands for all their stores so they get a better deal than just one store, so until the manufacturer gives the same price for both, we are SOL

Maybe its the evolution of business. My gunsmith retails probably less the 5 grand worth of inventory out of his home bases shop, but can get in just about anything you can dream up, if you want to wait. But his main service is gun smithing he offers, not selling firearms. Down the road we may see more shops that specialize in servicing the products while another business sells them.
I prefer to buy local and it certainly has its advantages but that has its limits. The fact that consumers do have choices is good for everyone in the long run......

Eagle1
10-30-2007, 09:33 PM
You can keep a small inventory if most is for service,{ most archers don't want to pay or expect service for free} only order in when someone wants something you don't have in stock,most archers don't want to wait a couple of weeks, but will wait 10 to 15 days for something out of the states. Specializing in service only, there's not enough archers on the island.
Go to a Walmart and buy a bow and see if you can get it set up.
If you buy a bow else where and a local shop sets it up for free, that says his time and expetise are worth nothing, you won't buy anything from him cause you can get it cheaper state side and you know the local shop will set it up for nothing,he won't be around for long.

G5's
Lancaster - $32.99 + shipping/duty
Cabela's - $ 32.99 to $ 34.99 + shipping/duty
Bowhunters Superstore - $ 29.95
FREE SHIPPING on orders over $ 150.00 and only within the USA { lower 48 states} less than 10# , not oversized items and so forth, read the small print.
Broadheads - $ 29.00 free shipping?
Say you buy 50- $ 1450.00
duty - $ 35.00 { low side } $ 1485.00 50 - $ 29.70
now 35 % { usually more } $40.095
now $40.00 x 50 = $2000.00
$2000.00 -$1485.00 =$515.00
so a profit of $515.00 divided into wages,WCB, insurance,utilites,and so fourth, not much of a profit left to keep the doors open for very long.

The Hermit
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
I've never had to pay duty since NAFTA. Brokerage fees are the killer and Cabaelas have the lowest shipping and brokerage fees out there. They have a great no hassle return policy to boot and awesome selection. AND they get the stuff to me in record time! Sometimes within a couple days!!!

It sucks for the local small shops and like others have said I am happy to pay a little more to shop local but most of the time I have to wait longer for the local guy to get the product I want than what it takes to get it mail order.

Service? I had to pay to have my bow set up and bought it at the local store... If I ever buy another compound bow I'll be happy to pay the local shop $25 - $50 to set it up and still save a couple hundred.

I plan to buy a TD bow this year as a Christmas present for myself and will probably get it from Monty in the EK... but that might be a lie! ;-)

I am thinking about buying a business license so I can buy and import guns for myself and a few friends.

pupper
10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Alot of online stores have no overhead,workers to pay,store front rental, only one person to run a computer in a small place in the corner of the house.

I'd like to see you run your own store { if it was so easy, why aren't you } not a basement dealer cause most wholesalers won't sell to you, make enough profit to pay utilites,rent,staff,insurance,WCB,accountant and pay yourself a wage to live on.
Some people just don't understand the real world,

so what? just becuase your inneffiecant with the modern business we are supposed to pay more??
this is a global market place.

If you offer service as your competetive advantage then charge for it and let that be your business. LIke a Mechanic. You have to be somewhat competetive to whats going on in the world market!

Ive been in business, IM no fool. I realize there are costs associated with business. IF you are not competetive than you will dwindle out of business.

boxhitch
10-31-2007, 09:43 AM
'Supporting your local community' is another cost to businesses that is often over looked. Take a w.a.g. at the number of times a store/office/business is approached for a hand-out by a local ball/soccer/hockey team, outdoors club or any other charitable group. You don't hear of Cabelas sponsoring ANYTHING in Canada, let alone the local kids group. I'll support the local businesses so when I come around with my hand out, I have half a chance of getting a contribution. Sometimes its not just about money.

yote
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Let me start by saying that I spend a LOT of money at my local dealer and I habe appreciated them. Here's my experience with the local dealer this weekend. I went in to get a pair of matching rain camo pants to match the coat which was bought for me from there a month ago. The pants cost 250.00 no problem but all they had in stock were Medium and then XLXL large... well no stock on the size I need. They guy took my name and number, said he would call the supplier on Monday and get back to me. That was Saturday, today it's Wednesday. Hmmmm.

Then I went over to get a spare crossbow string for my excaliber that I purchased from there. Nope...none of those in stock. Hmmmm

OK I was in the mood to spend some $$$ so the other thing I wanted was a foam target block with the shrink wrap around the outside. The store normally carries them but, no stock this time. Hmmmmm.

Oh ya.. wanted a smaller fanny bag for the quick bow hunts where I don't want the full pack. Ya...none of those. Hmmmmm

I had 500.00 bucks burning a hole in my pocket that I was going to spend. The online ordering sounds better and better.

Another thing that I wonder about, now with the dollar at par or better...when the old stock runs out, will we see a much better price on our stuff from the local guy or will they pocket the difference because in the past, the difference in price from the USA to us here in Canada was said to be from the difference in the dollar????

It just doesn't add up for me.

Radar
10-31-2007, 10:43 AM
You CAN get warranty on these products, assuming you live close enough to the US to mail it back to them from the US and have an outlet like Package Express www.packageexpress.com to have the item shipped back to.

I've done it many a time with items I've purchased in the US.

BANG!
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
As well as being into hunting, I'm also a keen motorcyclist. Just like the hunters here have a forum 'for all hunting related topics' - me and a few other thousand owners of a particularl type of bike, belong to another forum ('for all of the specific bike related topics')

On that forum, we sometimes organise GROUP BUYS. Basically, one dude organises a genrous discount at source with a supplier, takes advance orders and payments from all other members interested, then the deal gets made, and often, the equipment can be shipped direct to the final stage purchaser from source.

Would that sort of gig work here for ammo/broadheads/other stuff that is in common use by many HBC members?

just curious.

yote
10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
"Would that sort of gig work here for ammo/broadheads/other stuff that is in common use by many HBC members?"

hmmmmmm.

Eagle1
10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
so what? just becuase your inneffiecant with the modern business we are supposed to pay more??
this is a global market place.

If you offer service as your competetive advantage then charge for it and let that be your business. LIke a Mechanic. You have to be somewhat competetive to whats going on in the world market!

Ive been in business, IM no fool. I realize there are costs associated with business. IF you are not competetive than you will dwindle out of business.

SO WHAT!!!
Your still wet behind the ears.
It's not even my place of business, it seems as long as you save a nickel by cross border shopping , or get it for nothing you have no loyalty to the small guy trying to make it, box stores are the way to go.
Never said you { or anybody } were a fool,but is that why your no longer in business??:biggrin:

jessbennett
10-31-2007, 07:40 PM
right on, i can see this getting ugly in a hurry........:roll:.........

Bow Walker
10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Nope - not gonna happen.....said he with his finger hovering over the Delete button.........

Jagermeister
10-31-2007, 08:07 PM
To be fair, the retailer in this country has a three prong delemma, (1) the rising value of the CDN$, (2) goods on hand purchased with a lesser valued $ and (3) wholesaler/distributors that are slow to respond to the rise in currency value. If I were flogging bows, I would have a sale just to get rid of current stock and I would not buy anything unless it was hughly discounted. No sense having stock hang on the rack getting old and not be able to sell it, cut your losses and run they said.

sealevel
10-31-2007, 08:08 PM
I`am for saving money and i do order some things stateside . But if you don`t support our local shop some you will be ordering everthing.

The Hermit
10-31-2007, 08:15 PM
"Would that sort of gig work here for ammo/broadheads/other stuff that is in common use by many HBC members?"

hmmmmmm.

Yup Marc puts together an annual gun powder buy for members, which I have enjoyed twice now! No reason YOU couldn't get one happening... hummmm I'd love to get a screamin deal on a Leo spotter! :smile:

jessbennett
10-31-2007, 10:30 PM
to funny........;) got the staples "easy button" do ya????? lol

Nope - not gonna happen.....said he with his finger hovering over the Delete button.........

Bow Walker
11-01-2007, 06:36 AM
:smile:......just the 'power' of the Bow Gods......:shock: :oops:

Bow Walker
11-01-2007, 07:59 AM
I experienced a graphic example of the "Lure Of The Global Market" when I got my hunting bow. This was before Eagle1's appearance.

The retailer (the only game in town) had lots of bows on display. PSE, Bowtech, Diamond, Browning, etc. The one I was interested in was the Diamond Liberty.

Now everyone knows that Bowtech makes Diamond - they're usually last year's Bowtech technology on this year's Diamond. There is also a substantial price difference between the two as well. The Bowtech that was on display was priced at 1k. A fair price given the dollar difference at the time.

The Diamond that was on display was also priced at 1k.... Huh? Aren't Diamonds priced 2 to 3 hundred less than Bowtech's? Of course they are.

Well a little research netted me the Diamond Liberty (all set up and ready to shoot) delivered to my door - taxes, brokerage, shipping, everything all in for under 8 hundred Cdn dollars. This from a retailer in Pennsylvania.

Way too much of a discrepancy to ignore. Service? I do it myself - unless it's a major issue like a split limb or something along those lines, and then the 'factory' will take care of it. As long as I get the bow to them.

Not advocating Internet shopping here, it's just one example. One that is all too common. I am fully aware of the costs involved in running your own business - I've had two of my own over the years - but the volume buying power of the "big guys" is very hard to compete against or with.

Specialization is the answer (IMHO). Pick an area of expertise that is vital to your chosen business and be the best at it. Specialize in that area. Charge what the services are worth.

It's been my experience that cutting prices does two things - one, it lessens your profit margin and two, it lessens your perceived image in that specialized area or field. Don't cheapen yourself. Build it right and they will come.

yote
11-01-2007, 12:05 PM
It's hard to get the context of things sometimes when typing on the internet. My post on my last experience at the local store wasn't a bash against them. I was frustrated though and I hoped that perhaps it could be used as a bit of constructive criticism. I am no expert in the field of operations but just one customer that shared their experience. I will still give my business to them and I do appreciate the fact when everyone else backed out of the hunting and gun businesses here in Victoria, they stepped up and did a good job of continuing to offer firearms etc to to locals here.