PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Student Hunter?

Dirty
10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
I just wanted to see how many of the guys on HBC are university students. I find that I really have to pick my weekends when I go on hunting trips. November reading break is my go to muley weekend.

WoodOx
10-29-2007, 09:08 PM
you got it buddy

I can vouch for myself, bruin and a few others, I think MattB?

Krico
10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Just wait until you're married with kids. University will be looked back upon as the "days of plenty."

Dirty
10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
what are you studying agaucher?

WoodOx
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Bachelors of Biz Admin - human resource management / general management

u?

Dirty
10-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Just wait until you're married with kids. University will be looked back upon as the "days of plenty."

I was asking about hunting not about your sex life!

WoodOx
10-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Hahahaha perfect...

Dirty
10-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Bachelor's of Science, Biology and hopefully Masters or Doctorate

bruin
10-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Bachelors in Animal Science, soon to change to Business management. I study between the morning and evening hunts.

MattB
10-29-2007, 09:54 PM
This year has kinda screwed me over, i think i have been out hunting less than 6 times. Spent too many weekends working in September/Early October. Im gonna be hunting hard Nov 23-26 though, seems to be the only time i will be able to get in :x.

pupper
10-29-2007, 09:55 PM
i work full time and do a part time project management course at UBC but still I have gone out for 4 different hunting trips. ranging from 3 day ext weekenders to a 10 day northern adventure.

Blktail
10-29-2007, 09:55 PM
While going to UVIC working on my Biology degree I hunted A LOT!
Third and forth years I had afternoon and evening classes. I wuld get up early, bowhunt the Highlands, shower, go to classes, sleep and repeat 6 days a week! Sometimes on the weekend I would get far enough away from town (Langford & Sooke) to use a gun. I got 2-3 deer a year in those days. Fed me and my girlfriend (now wife) plus a lot of friends that couldn't afford meat.

This was 1978 - 1983.

Tarp Man
10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I will never forget showing up to class during my Bachelor's Degree of Science in Nursing, smelly and carrying a full daypack of goose hunting gear. I definitely got a few looks! This fall my Critical Care Specialty program at BCIT has screwed me a few times, but I managed to get out at least two weekends a month for at least one day. The best was my trip with Lapadat when I shot my 3 point blacktail at the end of September.

kaptkannon
10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
20 years ago when I went to U of W, I used to plan my schedule around hunting and fishing. Always made sure I had a light course load so I was done by noon on Friday. Now it is my job that makes it difficult to get a full season in.

smeegle
10-29-2007, 10:14 PM
yea, i am and i have not gone on a extended hunt since highschool (2yrs ago), the only hunting i do is at the bars and around campus8-), but this yr i was fortunate enough to get an leh bow draw for my dad and me... and we have a 7 point elk lined up on private property just watin two weeks for my readin break and hopin like hell the animals stay there

Rhys
10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm doing 3 courses this semeseter and working 30 hours a week but still manage to get out for a few extended weekend hunts.

RHys

greenhorn
10-30-2007, 01:34 AM
I just wanted to see how many of the guys on HBC are university students. I find that I really have to pick my weekends when I go on hunting trips. November reading break is my go to muley weekend.

Me too. A grad student. If you think undergrad is busy.......:eek:

hannibal
10-30-2007, 05:50 AM
3 seasons in a row I was working full time and going to school full time, long weekends and that reading break were all that kept me sane.

tufferthandug
10-30-2007, 06:34 AM
3rd Class Power Engineering course
Wife & 2 kids
4on 4off 12 hour shifts...

Still lots of time to hunt, I get out tons. Pick your days. Compound your honey-does. SLEEP WITH YOUR EYES OPEN!!!!!!!!!

10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
I spent about 10 years in school, some of it in the US. Down there I had the opportunity to hunt whitetail in Georgia and Alabama. Also did some dove hunting in Alabama. I would never trade here for there, but they were great experiences.

JP

newhunterette
10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
School - fulltime mom - fulltime wife and took my C.O.R.E.

had more time working to go hunting than being off work to go hunting

now heading back to school again (need to upgrade) - part time Mom kids are older (finally) still full time wife (shoot me) and going for P.A.L.

hunter1947
10-30-2007, 05:13 PM
No and never was ,been hunting to long ,i was putting steel tags around the base of the antlers way back.

7mmWSM
10-30-2007, 05:45 PM

I second that...in my last semester of architecture at UBC. What is it with faculty thinking they can run your life? Lots of anti's in my program, but I have an older prof who is a full on hunter and we spend a lot of time swapping stories. Its good to have a comrade in the trench warfare of the liberal university front.

beeker
10-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Just finished 4 years of being a student hunter in Kelowna. During that time I hunted a lot. Had to work weekends so the class schedule was designed with hunting in mind. Wasn't always able to make full day trips but I still managed to get out 3 or 4 times a week.

Kirby
10-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Animal Biology major usually, took a semester off to work and hunt. I should have one more fall in the class room then its freedom to hunt 24/7 and anybody who says otherwise... shut up your ruining my dream.

Kirby

Will
10-30-2007, 06:16 PM
then its freedom to hunt 24/7 and anybody who says otherwise... shut up your ruining my dream.

Kirby
Well with two kids, a full time job and a Nagging Wife.......Ummm, nevermind I won't wake you:wink:

franklin3
10-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Yes I am a student hunter...I have been in the states on a baseball scholarship and didnt find much time for hunting...last fall I was able to fly home and get a 4 day hunt in with my buddy Untouchable...this year I am done with ball and just going to school trying to graduate...I have gone on a few whitetail bow hunts down here but had no luck...I am actually stoked about a trip this nov... I am flying home and Untouchable, my father, my uncle and I are heading out for a late muley hunt...so I hope y'all left some deer out there for me :biggrin:

Krico
10-30-2007, 06:23 PM

HA! I walked into that one...

When I was in school I always tried to schedule my classes to allow maximum hunt time-Late start Monday, early finish Friday and a couple evenings/mornings off in between.

CanAm500
10-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Why university students. Im a student in high school and I hunt, so I will answer yes:cool:

Archer
10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm not in school, but the reason we're in Calgary right now is so the wife can finish her Masters in Visual Arts. I hunt about 2 to 3 outings a week, sometimes solo, sometimes with the stepson (he's almost 11). Just missed low on a coyote with my bow last Friday. Been seeing some decent whitetails, just have to get in bow range among the scrub brush. When the wife finishes school next September, she may have to make a running dive into the loaded and moving U-haul, headed west:lol:

Dirty
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM

What are you studying, Masters or phD program?

bc-shedder
10-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Does any one on here no what classes you have to have and your adverage to become a Conservation officer im only in gr10 but i g2 start thinking bout these things so i no what ill have to take and yeah im a high school student to but i manage to get out into the bush lots8-)

Dirty
10-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Here's some advice. I hate to burst your bubble but it is very unlikely there are going to hire somebody that is really young to be a CO. Go to school get a degree or trade and go from there. I think you may have to some sort of prerequisite schooling before applying. Go to you career resource centre at your school and get infor.

newhunterette
10-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Does any one on here no what classes you have to have and your adverage to become a Conservation officer im only in gr10 but i g2 start thinking bout these things so i no what ill have to take and yeah im a high school student to but i manage to get out into the bush lots8-)

look up this link - has the government qualifications and programs
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/enfhome/coco.html

Ali

Tinney
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Lethbridge CO program. Your fastest ticket and a very well respected one.

Wolfman
03-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Not in school right now but goin' back soon to add more to the paper trail ;-)

BA's Anthropology & Psychology @ UBC. The wife has her BSc and is working towards the Masters level.

Wolfman

LOC
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Was at one time - 2 years at BCIT for Chem-Sci, still managed to get out most weekends duing the season, but never was able to go for longer hunts...

rishu_pepper
03-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Will go back for my Masters a few years down the road.

Did my BA History and BEd Secondary in UBC. Then I discovered hunting and wondered how much time I could've spent out shootin' :tongue:

Wolfman
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Will go back for my Masters a few years down the road.

Did my BA History and BEd Secondary in UBC. Then I discovered hunting and wondered how much time I could've spent out shootin' :tongue:

Ah, a fellow Alumnus!

No doubt you know how good of a reception hunting talk gets on UBC campus - home of the greenie hordes! ;-)

I also got my doctorate in Beer-ology at the Pit over the years ;-)

Wolfman

rishu_pepper
03-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Ah, a fellow Alumnus!

No doubt you know how good of a reception hunting talk gets on UBC campus - home of the greenie hordes! ;-)

I also got my doctorate in Beer-ology at the Pit over the years ;-)

Wolfman

I wouldn't know, I've never heard of hunters in UBC! :tongue: The campus would make for a very good squirrel hunting ground though. My friend's had squirrel crawl into her dorm room (first floor) through the window! Those rascals..

The only thing I remember about the Pit is the Belgian Fries. A generous tub size of greasy fries submerged in garlic mayo (and ketchup, my own variation). The aroma is strong enough to go down a few blocks, and cholesterol levels usually goes up the roof afterwards :shock: Ahh.. good times.

showtimebc
03-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I currently go to Thompson Rivers... I hunted a fair bit this fall. Usually got out once a week or so.

H Wally
10-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Going to UVic - sweet bugger all time for anything really - train in morning, class day, train afternoon, train weekends, bike everywhere.

Looks like I get to go out over the November long weekend though!

browningboy
10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I have my BST in AHT from ASU.:-P

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 09:12 PM
we are all students - our school is "LIFE" - always learning

I was a student hunter but I graduated last week - now I can hunt alone :)

Flingin' Sticks
10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Bachelor of Health and Human Sciences at UNBC right now...

Maybe it's not the smartest thing in the world to do, but I've never had a problem telling a class to go to hell and go out hunting. As long as I've got no assignmets due, I'm gone. I try to plan my schedual around hunting time, but it doesn't always work.

Been doing this for four years now, and since not hunting at all my first year b/c they won't let you keep wepons in residence for some strange reason, I promised myself to get out every chance I get, if only to keep myself sane.

oh yeah wolfman...Beerology? that is awsome

In4TheHunt
10-24-2008, 10:19 AM

x2 Ain't that the truth.

Right now I have Wife, Kid, Job, And School (part time)
Its a bit rough but once done the school I will have more Flex in the work hours and will be able to get out more. Until then Do What I Can.

I live on your stories here at HBC..
Thanks
Cheers

bluebuck
11-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Are there any Uvic students among you who want to go out shooting? I'm a rookie and don't know many hunters in town and would be happy to do a brew night at felicitas!

Huey
11-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Yes, agreed!!

brianscott
11-27-2008, 10:45 PM
You are all lucky I moved to Calgary to take my final year of schooling @ SAIT got back to BC for 3 hunts.

I did get a little meat buck though

Last trip was a whirlwind adventure,

I left Calgary Friday night after school, Sunday night on the way home the trans was closed at golden and i had to detour to radium add in a wicked snow storm and freezing rain I got back to Calgary @ 3:45am and was at school by 7:30am

Officailly got out 3 times this year.

Im taking my final year of welding and am writing my IP in 3 weeks

I am envious of all of you

lineofsight
11-27-2008, 11:49 PM

Am married, have a kid, and am a university student trying to compress 24 months into 8... not made it out yet. Twelve days to the end of the term. Cant complain though, work is paying for it.

Car insurance ran out over a month ago, not reinsure since as basically not leaving the house (insurance savings went into a Browning SA .22 today, waste not...).

Anyone have a 1,000 words they can lend me for a paper on Indigenous Knowledge Systems, World View, Education, and Intellectual Property?

Caveman
11-28-2008, 12:01 AM

My wife says I should have been a Park Ranger or such. Ever given that a thought. Why a C.O. and have most people dislike you. Personal choice I guess.

nano
11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I am in grade 10 and I hunt all the time. my saying is get it in now so I dont regret it later.

Shermdog
11-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Im a 4th year university student, in the Bachelor of Business Administration program, Human Resources major. I still manage to make it out hunting quite a bit. I cant go for long trips, but I make tons of day trips.